Algeria Hotels

Our Members Say

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

HOTEL MAJESTIC: THE BEST MID-PRICED HOTEL IN ALGERIA

When I first arrived in Oran from train station at Oran, I couldn’t find my budget hotel nearby that was in the guidebook. 2 other nearby hotels were budget hotels that just did not appeal to me. Then I saw what looked like beautiful new, modern apartments in the middle of the street. Hotel Majestic it said. They still looked like apartments, but I couldn’t figure out why they didn’t have ugly air-conditioner units outside. When I stepped inside I found out why!

Hotel Majestic is a purpose built, designed and decorated modern hotel that looks beautiful, affords a wonderful nights sleep and is run by the best staff in Algeria. This place is a wonder. And it was an absolute oasis of serenity and rest in all my travels across Algeria. I am still so surprised I found them by happy accident. Please save this tip and make sure you stay here so you can benefit from my good luck.

The second you walk inside you start to see the beautiful art and décor created for your pleasure by the lady owner, Amel, whose name manes ‘Hope’ in Arabic. I hope you get to stay here too.

This hotel was designed by Amel and built by her and her husband in July 2011. It is also managed with Amel’s university friend – also known named Amel.

I was welcomed like an old friend, shown a wonderful room and shown the views of the city from the 7th floor terrace. My room had a wonderful bed, remote control air-conditioning, TV, bath, shower, cold refrigerator, and a beautiful décor. It also was completely quiet and the best sleep I ever had in Algeria.

The real beauty of the Majestic is you get what you pay every hotel for, but rarely get – a good night’s sleep!

The Majestic currently overlooks a building site of a road because they are building a tramway. That means you do not get any car and scooter noise at night – forever ! Yes, they only build in the day and when the trams are in there will never be traffic like the rest if the city at night. So if your budget is a bit lower, but you need sleep, stay here!

Across the hotel are artistic touches by Amel from the rooms to corridors and even stairs.

Across Africa safety is optional or even ignored. Not here. They have a modern smoke detection and fire suppression systems, 24 hour security and modern electrics. It’s safer than safe.

The food is wonderful and I almost forgot my adventure soon after I arrived.

I had never been to Oran and Amel offered me a free walking tour of Oran and also to show me where to change money. I had the full orientation of Oran, a fantastic visit if the city, a good night’s sleep and made some wonderful friends.

Too many hotels still trade on the fears on tourists and are outside the city, are over $200 a night and try and keep you away from the city.

Hotel Majestic does it all at a fraction of the price and is a short walk from the train station and every attraction in the city – except Fort Santa Cruz of course. Hotel Majestic can organise a car for you – no problem.

I love this hotel and the staff. It was a wonderful accident I found them.

Thanks Amel and Amel !!!!!

• Quiet

• Related to: Disabilities, Seniors, Women's Travel
  • Written July 31, 2012

HOTEL MAJESTIC IN ORAN

CENTRAL TOURING HÔTEL: A CHEAP ALGIERS HOTEL – NO. 5

This is yet another cheap hotel in the middle of Algiers. This one is actually on a main shopping street, but just 2 blocks west of the main Rail Station and Ferry Terminal. You have shopping, restaurants, major attractions and the Casbah practically on your doorstep. This is considered to be one of the best hotels in the ‘budget’ range. Some rooms are air-conditioned.

Please note: I did not visit inside this hotel and the prices were about $30 according to my guidebook written in 2007. If you stay here or have more information, please email me and let me know. I will then update this tip. Also of you get in pictures from the inside, please send me a copy.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Adventure Travel, Backpacking

CENTRAL TOURING H��TEL

GRAND HÔTEL DES ÉSTRANGERS: A CHEAP ALGIERS HOTEL – NO. 4

This is yet another cheap hotel in the middle of Algiers. You have everything you could possibly want on your doorstep or just 1-2 minutes of walking. Shopping, eating and sightseeing opportunities quite literally surround this hotel. Many of you major transport options are also very close by. This hotel has a reputation for being a bit quieter than some of the other budget hotels in the central zone of Algiers.

Please note: I did not visit inside this hotel and the prices were $17-20 according to my guidebook written in 2007. If you stay here or have more information, please email me and let me know. I will then update this tip. Also of you get in pictures from the inside, please send me a copy.

• Related to: Backpacking, Adventure Travel, Budget Travel

GRAND H��TEL DES ��STRANGERS

HÔTEL ARAGO: A CHEAP ALGIERS HOTEL – NO. 3

This is the former Grand Hôtel Arago. You guessed it. It was a nice hotel during the French colonial era. It has a reputation for having clean rooms, but not air-conditioning. It is located right in the middle everything from restaurants to shops, the Casbah, cafés, Tourist Information, tourist attractions, main Railway Station, Ferry Terminal, and the seafront.

Please note: I did not visit inside this hotel and the prices were $14-22 according to my guidebook written in 2007. If you stay here or have more information, please email me and let me know. I will then update this tip. Also of you get in pictures from the inside, please send me a copy.

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel, Singles

H��TEL ARAGO

HÔTEL TERMINUS: A CHEAP ALGIERS HOTEL – NO. 2

This is another cheap hotel in the center of Algiers that has seen much better days. It was a hotel during French colonial times. It does have air-conditioned rooms, but is recommended for men only. This is next door to the Grand Hôtel Tipaza and convenient to every major attraction in Algiers. It is a 1-2 minute walk to the Casbah, main Railway Station, Tourist Information, restaurants, shops, cafés, and the main seafront.

Please note: I did not visit inside this hotel and the prices were $12-21 according to my guidebook written in 2007. If you stay here or have more information, please email me and let me know. I will then update this tip. Also of you get in pictures from the inside, please send me a copy.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Adventure Travel, Backpacking

H��TEL TERMINUS

GRAND HÔTEL TIPAZA: A CHEAP ALGIERS HOTEL – NO. 1

Despite the elaborate name, this is a backpacker’s accommodation with shared showers. This hotel is essentially across the main road from the main Railway Station. Its location is amazingly convenient for all the major attractions in the centre of Algiers. Restaurants and shops surround this location. The massive Casbah is 2 minutes walk and you are almost right on the main seafront. The Tourist Information Office is a stone’s throw away and the Ferry Terminal is also very close by. Apparently this is a lively and somewhat noisy place as there are cafés and shops below the hotel. It is however generally quiet in Algiers at night.

Please note: I did not visit inside this hotel and the prices were $12 according to my guidebook written in 2007. If you stay here or have more information, please email me and let me know. I will then update this tip. Also of you get in pictures from the inside, please send me a copy.

This tip and 4 others were created after a question on the Algiers Travel forum. There is a real need for good hotel information in Algiers. I rented an apartment, so had limited experience with the local hotels here.

• Related to: Backpacking, Adventure Travel, Budget Travel

GRAND H��TEL TIPAZA

HÔTEL ES SAFIR: SHOCKING AND SCANDALOUS

THIS IS NOT A 4 STAR HOTEL.
It once was. Very much so. Built in 1926-30 it was originally named the Hotel Aletti. It was a grand hotel with massive rooms, sweeping balconies looking out over the port and a place used by diplomats and high society. One of its most famous visitors was the American singer, Josephine Baker.

After Independence from France (1962) the President, Ahmed Ben Bella, nationalized this hotel and one other. Like any government run hotels in the world – it deteriorated from there. Today some websites list this as a 4 star hotel, want $150 a night and even list the services starting with ‘Has an elevator’. Locally you could probably get in here at half that price, but why would you?

I visited the bar, restaurant, lobby and even the toilets. I quickly envisioned the ghastly descriptions of the rooms you can read on many websites. It’s a real shame, Many guests comment on how grand the rooms were. Unfortunately you cannot turn back 40 years of neglect overnight. I hope they do finish what renovations have started. The hotel is in an excellent location with access to everything the center of the city can provide.

You could always stop by fro a drink in the massive (but empty) smoky bar.

Interestingly they offer non-smoking rooms. Hard to find in Algeria.

They have no direct email address that I could find.

If you really want to pay money to stay in a very run down old hotel, there are several to choose from. And they are all cheaper.

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Adventure Travel, Seniors, Luxury Travel

H��tel Safir

HÔTEL DAR – TLIDJENE: REASONABLE – NOTHING EXCITING

Even though I stayed here, it would have been my second choice in Ain Taya. It’s ok. I cannot fault the location, cleanliness, comfort or service. Even after a negotiated rate, it was still a little pricey. Its right in the middle of Ain Taya in term of the main shopping/market area and the large beaches. A reasonable walk to both. And understanding of French would be highly recommended if you want to telephone them, but you can make reservations on their website in English. The only fault I had with them is that they put me in a doubled bedded room, and then tried to charge me for the higher rate when I checked out. They tried to indicate that I had 2 beds – luckily I made sure I never disturbed the other bed. I also pulled out my email correspondence and the correct rate was swiftly delivered to me.

I paid 3800 Dinars ($50) per night. So what do you get?

I was collected from the Airport for 1000 Dinars ($13) by the nice man who drives their hotel van. I was greeted warmly and shown around my room. Beds were ok – not great, but reasonable. The air-conditioning worked great, my fridge was quite large (and cold!), plenty of closet space and a reasonable bathroom. The shower was fine, the tub a bit small and awkward – a typical bath in Algeria for some reason. Toiletries were provided. Even though there was an ashtray, the room did not smell of smoke.

The hotel itself is quiet and somewhat basic. Breakfast is included and you get a boiled egg, a croissant, cheese and a few other bits with coffee or tea. They didn’t seem to mind giving me breakfast at about 11am.

There are several good local stores within a 1 minute walk and also fast food. For a full restaurant you are looking at a 10-15 minute walk.

The local folks are awesome. If you say hello and visit the same shop the process drop slightly. There is absolutely no hassle although some people will stop you just to say hello and welcome you to Ain Taya.

• Related to: Singles, Business Travel, Family Travel
  • Written December 29, 2011
Tip Photo

• don-mehran profile photo don-mehran
  • Reviews: 16

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hilton: Algeria, Algier

Too much security check!!!!

Expensive hotel for the quality. Too much wanna be French style!!

The traditional restaurant Kasbah has a very nice Local food.

Do not trust the hotel personel. I was sending post card via the Hotel service and after 1 year no post card arrived to the destination. Simply the guys at the desk took the money and never snet the post cards.

They will not let you enter with any fruite or food even if you are going to have at your room.
Try to have the food in your back-pack, they don't like plastic bags.

The night-club at hilton is free for the guests and gets busy after midnight.

• Written September 30, 2006

• JLBG profile photo JLBG
  • Reviews: 6088

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

H. Seybouse: H. Seybouse

As Algeria has not chosen to develop tourism, the hotel offer is narrow. In large cities, there is one or two top class hotels (5 stars) like Hotel Seybouse in Annaba They are used by visitors that are here for their job and are expensive. Other hotels are very basic and our friends did not advise us to go there. I have no opinion on my own. In previous travels, we very seldom slept in hotels as once in the desert, sky was our roof. On the few occasions we had to sleep in hotels, some were indeed VERY basic. However, on our last visit, we have seen several that looks fine from outside.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written December 8, 2005

H. Seybouse

• texas1947 profile photo texas1947
  • Reviews: 14

Grand Hotel Tipasa: Cheapest Hotel right in Central Algeri

The hotel has seen better days but is it worth the value. It it set in Big Port Said square. It Is 800 Dinars for a Single room and 1000 for a double room(with a big Bed or twin beds). Breakfast included.
Be very wary at nightime as the square is quite seedy.

Do no use the lift which should fall now or then!!!!

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Written April 26, 2005

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

MUFLON DE OR': DONT GO TO HOTEL MUFLON DE OR'

bad, full of small cripy animals, no air condition in room, all walls is dirty and bath is from year 1975...

we stay 11 days whit company but we escape...hahaha yes very bad for 5000 Da and Hotel El Djazair for 6000 Da is 5 stars.

Strange but true

NOthing good

• Opinion of Price: most expensive

La bel air: Hotel La Bel Air in town ORAN

Nothing special but we stay 1 months in this hotel for reasonable price.

few hundred meteres walk from center of town...down hill, back is uh uh you need good sporty conditions...

better then others for normal price

• Related to: Singles

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Al Djazair: The best HOTEL in Algier

Old fashion stile Hotel in town situated on hill whit nice view at porto Algier.

Nice garden for relax or make launch in middle of jungle whit full flower

And they were joined later by General Eisenhower, Commander-in-chief of the allied forces.
On June, 7th, 1943, a conference was held at the hotel with Winston Churchill and Eisenhower. The latter had dinner with king George V, a few days after the conference.
At the end of war, the hotel was damaged by German bombings.After having been repaired and refurbished, the hotel re-opened in 1948. With its 180 rooms, the hotel offers its comfort and its charm to businessmen and tourists.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Historical Travel

hotel

• tini58de profile photo tini58de
  • Reviews: 2509

Assekrem accomodation

Just a few steps away from Father Foucauld's hermitage, there is a compound with a rather simple hostel.

The accommodation is very basic mountain stuff: an uncompromising stone-walled building, with two outside lavatories (quite far outside), three dormitories and a communal meeting room, with rugs and cushions, chairs, tables and an open fire. It is possible to get your meals there - and I must say, I really enjoyed the food! It was nothing fancy, but it just felt right!

• Written October 15, 2003