'Ain Taya Hotels

• DAO profile photo DAO
  • Reviews: 3550

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

HÔTEL DAR – TLIDJENE: REASONABLE – NOTHING EXCITING

Even though I stayed here, it would have been my second choice in Ain Taya. It’s ok. I cannot fault the location, cleanliness, comfort or service. Even after a negotiated rate, it was still a little pricey. Its right in the middle of Ain Taya in term of the main shopping/market area and the large beaches. A reasonable walk to both. And understanding of French would be highly recommended if you want to telephone them, but you can make reservations on their website in English. The only fault I had with them is that they put me in a doubled bedded room, and then tried to charge me for the higher rate when I checked out. They tried to indicate that I had 2 beds – luckily I made sure I never disturbed the other bed. I also pulled out my email correspondence and the correct rate was swiftly delivered to me.

I paid 3800 Dinars ($50) per night. So what do you get?

I was collected from the Airport for 1000 Dinars ($13) by the nice man who drives their hotel van. I was greeted warmly and shown around my room. Beds were ok – not great, but reasonable. The air-conditioning worked great, my fridge was quite large (and cold!), plenty of closet space and a reasonable bathroom. The shower was fine, the tub a bit small and awkward – a typical bath in Algeria for some reason. Toiletries were provided. Even though there was an ashtray, the room did not smell of smoke.

The hotel itself is quiet and somewhat basic. Breakfast is included and you get a boiled egg, a croissant, cheese and a few other bits with coffee or tea. They didn’t seem to mind giving me breakfast at about 11am.

There are several good local stores within a 1 minute walk and also fast food. For a full restaurant you are looking at a 10-15 minute walk.

The local folks are awesome. If you say hello and visit the same shop the process drop slightly. There is absolutely no hassle although some people will stop you just to say hello and welcome you to Ain Taya.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Family Travel, Business Travel, Singles
  • Written December 29, 2011
Tip Photo

• DAO profile photo DAO
  • Reviews: 3550
HÔTEL LE CORSAIRE: NOT UNDERSTANDING THE NEW TOURIST MARKET

This hotel is one of many that need to be told ‘The War id over and your prices are too high!’ During the Algerian Civil War (1991-2006) tourists were systematically targeted by rebels/terrorists anywhere in Algeria. Many hotels (Hiltons, Sheratons) became literally armed camps with high blast walls. These meant that the prices were extortionate. Today many are either still that high or just completely overpriced – for what you get.

The Le Corsaire is one of these. Advertised as a 3 star. By current hotel standards in the country it probably is. At 4000DZD ($54) for a single and 6000DZD ($81) you would expect clean windows and a bit more going for it. It’s clean, but dated. It’s also quiet. It’s near the beach, but has no sort of facilities like a terrace or any real facilities at all.

There are some nicer places that are cheaper nearby. The Le Corsaire need to understand that tourists, especially after high airfares and visa fees, are looking for either low prices or a few facilities going for it. A full bar would be a welcome addition.

On the plus side, it is quiet here.

Very quiet.