Route De L'universite Bp 12 5 Juillet Bab Ezzouar, Algiers, 16311, Algeria

Agoda.com Tingo.com getaroom.com

Satisfaction Terrible

• mikey_e's Profile Photo

Utilitarian delight

I chose the Algers Mercure Aéroport because it was one of two or three hotels that were available for booking online, and it had the benefits of being closest to the city and cheapest of the group. Please do not allow those comparisons to cloud my evaluation of the hotel - it was still 200 euro a night and took 40 minutes to get into the downtown core of Algiers. The room I was given had two single beds with hard matresses and pillows, an outdated bathroom with depressing décor, and no meaningful internet service. The rest of the hotel was not that bad, and was obviously set up to accommodate business travelers meeting with clients or looking to entertain themselves after hours. This leads me to believe that the hotel allotted some of its older or less-desirable rooms for internet bookings, reserving its other rooms for bookings directly with Accor. Apart from the rooms, the hotel also had a small gym with weights and cardio equipment, as well as a sauna and steam room. There appear to have been gardens outside of the hotel for drinks and dinner in the fresh air, but given that I visited Algiers in January, all outdoor facilities were closed off.

Unique Quality: The only unique aspect of this hotel is, once again, its availability over the internet and its price, relative to other Western-standard accommodations in Algiers.

Directions: A 10 minute drive from the airport.

More about Algiers

musical salon plansmusical salon plans

bed room scenebed room scene

boumedienne airportboumedienne airport

ViewView

Is Algiers safe?

by Elisabcn

Oh, i see i'm not the only one who asks about safety in Algiers. I found a ticket not very expensive for a weekend in Algiers but the recommendations from my government are very bad. they say don't go alone, don't visit the casbah, don't go without a person from the country...just what i wanted to do :-((. How is the situation really there?...it would be more useful to know the opinion from non algerian people, who went there as tourists, like me.
Thanks a lot,
Elisa

by janiebaxter

Hi
I have been to Algiers twice this year and had no problems with safety.
If you speak French or Arabic you will be OK getting around on your own, but it really is better to go with a local person. I had a guide all the time I was there but I only speak English. You definitely need a guide to visit the Casbah, not because of any physical danger but because some thieves operate there and it is very easy to get lost.
If you go it is a lovely city with lots to see in a weekend.
JB

by graf-andex

I do agree to the answer you've got before. I was staying in Algiers 3 times before continuing my trip to the sahara. First time I was alone, but I had a real nice old man with a real old Mercedes Benz who took me to the hotel, to a restaurant and made a little sightseeing tour by car just for me. The whole thing was for 40,- € (at least 4 hours and return trip to the airport). Next time I had a small group of people with me and he was already waiting at the airport with his old Mercedes Benz and a new minibus. Again he was our guide but in addition he had organized an official guide for the casbah. If you are interested I can give you the phone numbers - but he speaks only french and arab!
Important advise: never forget you are a guest in an islamic country, people are very hospitable but they also expect a certain respect for their religion and their customs.
Geli

by 2me

Hi Elisa,

I know you did not ask for an opinion of a native Algerian, but I am here to support the opinion of the two above. The problems that Algeria was plugged in, have lessened down dramatically since our current president Abdel Aziz came to power. Needless to say that you must travel and walk around with caution and in my opinion staying in big cities is a wise step even though Algeria's rural areas have so much beauty. Anyhow, carry with you the common sense always.

Good luck.
Abbas
UK

Travel Tips for Algiers

University

by Aurorae

This is a school building in the University area. The University of Algiers is called Benyoucef Benkhedda and it was founded in 1909. It has seven faculties:
Faculty of Political Sciences and Information
Faculty of Islamic Sciences

www.univ-alger.dz

General Info

by denizboran

The only currency is local Dinars so whatever money you have with you, change it at the airport. You may find locals who will want to trade with you in USD or EURO but always keep in your mind the bank change rate.

Another issue with the money is that sometimes you may see prices with two 0 after the price. But there isn't any piece of money for these two so it is basically always 00. The confusing part is sometimes the locals say the prices considering these 00 and sometimes not. You can also see some locals saying the prices without three 0. In this case, the two 0s are centimes that are not used today.

The first thing you will notice when you come to Algeria is the number of police control points. You have to get used to it because it is not something local. If you are travelling at night with a car, when you get close to a control point, shut down the lights of the car and open the inside lightings.

Be careful when driving because there are many many drivers who drive like crazy. They never look back when trying to pass another car and they may come just straight at you. (This happened several times)

Arrival in the harbor of Algiers

by JLBG

This photo shows the arrival in the harbor of Algiers. On the right, the pier where the ferry was to moor and on the pier the ferry terminal. All the custom controls occurred (1973 to 1987) on the terrace on top of that building.

French colonial architecture

by Aurorae

No wonder Algiers is called Algiers, The White - all the buildings in the downtown area dating back from the French colonial times are white, and they are MANY! They all have blue balconies and windows and beautifully sculpted facades. It reminds me of Cote d'Azur, especially Cannes, I've seen the same kind of buildings there. It certainly is beautiful to walk by among these nice buildings. I've heard something tremendously scary from my Algerian friends - there is some sort of a "plan" to demolish all the old colonial buildings and to build something modern! Luckily lots of people are against it and I hope they will stay where they are and that they will get a proper maintenance and refurbishment! It is a very beautiful city and it would be nothing without its remarkable architecture.

The ferry terminal

by JLBG

This photo of the ferry terminal was shot in 1982 while the picture with the previous tip was shot in 1977. It was taken closer to the pier and shows better the building and behind the magnificent "front de mer" with superb white buildings.

Comments