Tlemcen Hotels

Our Members Say

• maykal profile photo maykal
  • Reviews: 1432

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Residence Chaynez

As all the city centre hotels were either full or way over my budget, I put my trust in a taxi driver who knew someone who had a guesthouse on the outskirts of town. we pulled up outside a modern apartment block, and I was welcomed into a massive wedding hall, the owner keen to show off the dimensions and the decorated chairs. Once it was established that I wasn't there to get married but wanted a room for the night instead, he led me upstairs to a lounge area with several men smoking and checking their laptops. He had a room, with a bathroom, there would be electricity in the room in the evening, and I could use wifi in the lounge for free. It seemed clean enough, and the people there were friendly, so I agreed to stay. In the evening, chatting to a Syrian in the lounge, I discovered that it is mainly for long-term guests, as most had been there for months. The other residents welcomed me as one of their own, even though I was only there for two nights, and kept bringing me tea and dates and biscuits.

The residence is a long walk from the centre of town. I never figured out the public transport system, and it wasn't easy to find taxis until I'd walked practically most of the way into the centre, so I used to walk it with the help of google maps. One thing it is close to is the Hotel Ibis, also stuck out of the way. There are a couple of late opening cafes on the main road, and some neighbourhood shops selling water and bread.

Despite the distance from town, and the fact that it wasn't really a hotel (and the fact that when the electricity did spring into life in the evening, I realised I was sharing the room with a huge cockroach!), the residence was a good place to stay, not least because I got to know several Algerians and Syrians...had I stayed in a hotel, it would have probably been a more isolated experience.

The cost was 3000DA, which didn't include breakfast, although I was offered coffee or tea whenever I appeared in the lounge. 3000DA is about £20/28EUR at the official rate, £14/20EUR if you change on the black market (rates as of August 2014)

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Written March 1, 2015

• Trentino profile photo Trentino
  • Reviews: 1

Les Zianides: Living like a Sheik

Les Zianides is the number one place to stay in Tlemcen. The rooms are nicely furnished and the food is good. The Hotel has 142 rooms and 7 suites. All rooms are equipped with Satellite-TV and Minibars.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average