Chuma Drive, Private Bag 0016, Gaborone, Botswana

Expedia.com Hotels.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• Kid-A's Profile Photo

Best hotel in Gaborone

I was spoiled a bit on my trip to southern Africa. Everywhere I went, I stayed in "the best hotel in town." Oh well, I guess I shouldn't dwell too much on this! It's not a bad problem to have. Anyway, the Gaborone Sun is another of those Sun International chain of hotels. It's pretty nice by African standards. There's a nice pool, air conditioning in the rooms, a great bar, the breakfast is good, etc.

Unique Quality: One funny thing: they advertise their cheeseburger as the Biggest in Africa. It was pretty darn big! And very tasty...

• BashiJJ's Profile Photo

Good hotel

Comfortable hotel with an enclosed garden, and pool and bar area.The hotel is very popular with the locals for dining and socializing. I had a garden facing room on the ground floor. The big sliding glass doors onto the communal garden made me feel a bit exposed and reluctant to open them. I would recommend a first floor garden facing room.

bland music is piped through all public areas of the hotel constantly which can become irritating after a while. They have a wireless internet.

• A haven of calm

My wife and I have stayed at the Gaborone Sun on two occasions over the last two years. In general, it is a fine hotel, but its star rating has to be seen within the context of Africa and not the rest of the world and attention to detail is sometimes not their strongest point. We have had no complaints, however. The staff are polite and efficient when galvanised into action and politeness on one's part usually pays dividends. I would reccomend the garden facing rooms which are away from the road side of the hotel, which can be noisey, especially early morning and late night. Having said that, we had such a room this year and (probably not typical) it was much much larger than the room we had the previous year. Typical double rooms are really a room more suited for single occupation but with a queen size bed. The rooms are attractively decorated, neat and tidy, but with the odd fitment missing here and there (attention to detail!).

We like the hustle and bustle of Gaborone but it has always been nice to return to the relative peace and calm of the Gabs Sun.

Unique Quality: The two restuarants at the hotel are good value. The buffet restuarant has a good selection of foods for all tastes and the a la carte restuarant (now named Mahoganys) has an interesting menu, although the menu descriptions can be misleading.

• travelmad478's Profile Photo

Gambling in Gaborone

The Gaborone Sun Hotel is Botswana's swankiest, although that is a relative term here in Botswana. There is a big casino in the hotel, which seems to be the big draw, although I don't gamble so I didn't visit it. It's hard to miss it though, since the casino entrance is a lot bigger than the reception desk!

The rooms at this hotel were quite fine, although my air conditioning unit was as loud as a jet engine. There is a pleasant, large pool area to sit around--a blessing, since when I was there it was extremely hot. Service at this hotel does leave something to be desired, but I've found that to be the case throughout southern Africa. At least it wasn't as expensive as some Johannesburg hotels!

Comments