Burkina Faso Hotels

Our Members Say

NAZINGO RANCH: stay with elephants

We stayed for one night in the campement at the west gate of Nazinga game Ranch. With 500-800 elephants in the park you are almost sure to see elephants. Besides elephants the park has also antelopes, monkeys, warthogs, crocodiles and birds.

Just after we arrived in the afternoon at the campement Akwazena we saw two bathing elephants in the waterhole in front of the restaurant. Later in the afternoon during the game drive we saw many more elephants at close distance.

We stayed in the huts with shower and toilet. In the campement are also rooms/apartments and a 18-bed dormitory. It's a basic place, but great by it's location close to main waterhole of the park. Don' t be surprised that elephants also can stroll around the huts of the campement. So at night take care, because you hardly can see them in the dark.

There is also Campement de I'Elephant - Nahouri Safari- at the east gate. This campement has more luxury and has mostly hunters as guests, but tourists are also welcome.

The huts are spacious and clean. The beds have sheets and a mosquitonet. There is a fan, but the electricity is switched during the night, so be sure to open the grass shutters of the windows from the outside before it is dark to get a little breeze druing the night.

We had a good breakfast, lunch and dinner in the restaurant. From the restaurant we had a great view at the lake and we were lucky with two bathing elephants. By a wire-net the restaurant is protected agains mosquitos.

In the reception building are 2 shops with African handicrafts.

• Related to: National/State Park, Road Trip, Safari
  • Written May 15, 2013
Tip Photo

Huts scattered in the campement

TIEBELE: Auberge Kunkolo: stay in Kassena style

Tiebele is a small town with the best preserved painted Kassena houses. We spent the night in style in a nicily painted hut of Auberge Kunkolo. Great ambiance and atmosphere.

The Auberge Kunkolo is the oldest established guesthouse in Tiebele, started by a Frenchman. Now it is managed very well by a local hospitable rasta-man.

The builidings and huts are beautifully painted in the traditionial Kassena designs. Kunkolo is a wonderful laid-back place with a lovely green innercourt yard. The open air showers and toilets are simple, but very clean. There are always enough buckets filled with water available.

The best you can do to sleep at the roof tops of the huts. The guesthouse will provide matresses and mosquitonets on request. At the roof you will catch the breeze and sleep under a romantic night sky.

We forgot to order the mattresses and mosquitonet on the roof. It turned out to be a big mistake. In the hut it was extremily hot, even with the door and window wide open. It was my most sweaty and sleepless nigth ever.

Electricity in the huts is only in the late afternoon and early evening. They switch it off during the night. The bar and restaurant are in the open air sheltered by a roof. Nice place to sit for a drink and breakfast. .

• Related to: Architecture, Road Trip, Arts and Culture
  • Written May 12, 2013
Tip Photo

Kunkolo: our nicily sculpted and painted huts

GAOUA Hotel Hala: rooms around inner garden

Gaoua in southwestern Burkina Faso is a good base for exploring the Lobi country. The Musée de Poni in Gaoua gives a good introduction to Lobi culture. Around Gaoua you can visit in Kampti the house of a diviner, Houli the basketvillage and Tambeli the woodcarving village and a Lobi compund in Ello,

Except some budget accommodations with only a few rooms Gaoua has only one midrange hotel. Hotel Hala is run by a Libanese family since 1981.

The rooms are situated around the garden at the backside of the main building. The lobbly, restaurant and porch are spacious. The porch is a good shady place to have a beer or another drink at sundown. In the restaurant African food, but also Lebanese and European food is served.

At the front of the hotel is a spacious parkingplace.

Website:

• Related to: Arts and Culture, Road Trip
  • Written May 12, 2013

Inner garden

SINDOU Campement Solidarité Soutrala: community tourism

Sindou is located in the southwest of Burkina Faso. The spectacular Sindou Peaks are well known. Sindou is also a good base to visit the Dogon-like granaries at the escarpment of Niansogoni not far from the border with Mali. Around Sindou are many traditional Senoufou villages.

We stayed two nights in the Campement Soutrala operated by the Association Soutrala Tyeara, which was formed to promote community tourism and cultural exchanges.

The basic mud huts are situated in a compound with many shady mangotrees. The hammocks in the shade of the trees were very inviting. In the huts was no electricity, but every hut has its own solarlamp. Luckily the huts were rather cool at night with the door open, only closed by a wicker mat which allows a breeze coming in.

Every hut has a spacious open air bathroom. The showers have running water. We enjoyed the showers, especially at night in the moonlight with a starry sky. There are two shared clean toilets.

In the roofed open air restaurant was electricity to upload your equipment. The food we ordered for dinner was great. No wifi available.

• Related to: Road Trip, Eco-Tourism
  • Written May 11, 2013

The huts of Soutrala

BANFORA Hotel La Canne à Sucre: great green ambiance, excellent food

Banfora is in the middle of the sugar cane fields. Coming from Bobo to Sindou, Banfora is a good base to visit the area. A good place to stay and to eat in town is the Hotel Canne à Sucre (sugar cane). The French owner of the Hotel managed the sugar factory for a long time.

The hotel is situated in a lovely green garden with great atmosphere. It is a comfortable hotel with tidy rooms with AC. The main buiding, the garden and the rooms are nicily furnished and decorated in African style.The food á la carte of the restaurant was very tasty.

We were very satisfied with our round traditional huts, furnished and decorated with African woodcarvings and cloth. They were situated opposite the main entrance of the hotel across the street, also in a nice green garden.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Road Trip, Arts and Culture
  • Written May 11, 2013
Tip Photo

Our comfortable traditional huts in the garden

OUAGA: Chez Tess: decorated in African ethnic style

When we came to Ouagadougou in 2013 we spent a four days in the guesthouse 'Chez Tess'. The guesthouse is run by Tess, a Swedish artist, married to a Nigerien Tuareg. Before she had a guesthouse in Agadez in Niger. A pity we did not met her because she was travelling during our days stay.

After we entered the door we enjoyed the green innercourt and the ambiance with nicily decorated veranda's and rooms. I felt immediatily at home. I liked also the area around the guesthouse. The red coloured unpaved roads and small shops and workshops reminded me a lot at the first time I visited Ouaga in 1989.

Most ethnic items in guesthouse 'Chez Tess' are from several parts of Africa and are also for sale. Mohamed Alher, our Tuareg friend from Timbuktu, who lived temporary in a refugeecamp outside Ouaga and came to visit us, was very enthousiastic when he discovered a door in Timbuktu style at one of the veranda's.

Cosy and relaxed atmosphere, nicily decorated rooms in ethnic style.
Free wifi in the rooms and veranda's. Great breakfast with fresh bread and fruits.
Dinner at request.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Arts and Culture
  • Written May 10, 2013

The green innercourt

CASE D'HÔTES: A NICE MAN IN OUAGADOUGOU

This small hotel is owned and run by a very nice man named Alain Mottard. When I showed up unexpectedly (in Burkina Faso), I found the 5 room were already booked. Alain wanted to make sure I had a nice place to stay at a reasonable price and telephone to make a reservation for me at the Residence Galiam. Alain has been here for 16 years and runs a very nice hotel. The rooms all have themes, there is a large shaded courtyard, and it is an easy walk to the central part of Ouagadougou.

He has a staff of a guard, 2 maids and a chef named Ibrahim. You can enjoy French and European cuisine here at the hotel as well as have a few drinks.

In addition to free Wi-Fi, Alain also offers city tours, 4x4 excursions across Burkina Faso and even a 30 person bus at your disposal. Shuttle services to the nearby airport are not a problem.

I didn't have the opportunity to stay with Alain and his daughter, but I can highly recommend a stay here. Just reserve in advance!

• Related to: Business Travel, Seniors
  • Written July 7, 2012

CASE D'H��TES

LA PALMARIE: THE BEST GARDENS IN OUAGADOUGOU

Before I tell you about the gardens, I need to say this place is overpriced for local standards. Its nice - don't get me wrong. I came across this nice hotel just walking around. The second I went past the massive steel security gates I realised I was in a tropical garden. I kept hitting my head on low hanging mangoes! Lizards scurried around and I watched the gardeners tend to the small, but lush surrounds. I tried to book for one night, but was told to choose another - so they do fill up. They only have 23 rooms (2 are suites).

When I did get in I was worried because my room was closest to the nice poolside bar. I need not have worried. There is actually a privacy wall between and I never heard the bar as they keep the music very low. With only 23 rooms I always had the pool area to myself. In fact I always had the hotel to myself. For that and a good night's sleep I am thankful.

My room had a small fridge which I stocked with my own cheaper drinks. I had a good bed, air-conditioning, ceiling fan, good shower, separate toilet, good closet, umbrella, mosquito net, desk, bug spray (cool!), I could come and go as I pleased and it was absolutely quiet.

The hotel has free internet, wi-fi and actually a reasonable exchange rate for Euros (only).

I only had the (buffet) breakfast by the pool and it was very good.

They do have a nice looking restaurant and business services as well as laundry.

In terms of location it is very walkable to the main road - all of it.

By the way they were filming a music video here when I visited to make a reservation.

I found it expensive, but a good time. If you have just one night in Ouagadougou - this is probably the best place or Hotel Les Palmiers.

For the record I paid 50,000 CFA (76€, $99)

* Wonderful gardens
* Silence
* Good nights sleep
* Separate bathroom and toilets
* You can stock your own very cold fridge
* Great location
* Free internet

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Luxury Travel, Business Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons

LA PALMARIE

HÔTEL LES PALMIERS: JUST ABOUT RIGHT IN OUAGADOUGOU

I stayed at 4 hotels in Ouagadougou. If this was a review by Goldilocks, I would say this hotel is just right. You can get a nice room for 32,000 XOF (48€, $64) for 2 people with air-conditioning, a green garden, big cold beers at the poolside bar. They also offer 2 restaurants, a conference facility and 24 hour security (except when they took me by scooter at 3am to the airport.

Les Palmiers is completely quiet, a short walk (60 meters) to the main market, close to the airport and comfortable. The gardens are ok. Maybe they need a better gardener, but you can sit outside an soak of the sun, beer and/or food. You can also use your wi-fi underneath a thatched roof and still enjoy the weather.

The pool area is a bit basic at first sight and could do with a few new cushions. otherwise it does the job and the bar is right beside it and in the middle of the gardens.

My room was good. It had a TV I never switched on, Air-conditioning and a standing fan - a very good combination actually. Ok bathroom, desk, some nice art on the walls and a solid steel door. My bed was - just right! I managed a good night's sleep in absolute silence except for my air-conditioning humming quietly. The combination of environmental controls allowed me to dry clothes quickly and keep my bathroom cool. For some reason the bathroom wall was red hot, I believe due to the sun hitting the outside and retaining the heat.

For the money in Ouagadougou I would recommend Les Palmiers.

I would also recommend that you reserve in advance. They only have 14 rooms and could only give me a room for 1 night. If you email, get a response! They are not the best at replying.

* Quiet location and gardens
* 2 restaurants (mixed reviews)
* Close walk to main market and other restaurants, shopping, banking
* Wi-fi and Internet-connected computer
* Conference room
* Good rooms (no mini-bar)
* Reasonable pool
* Bar in the middle of pool, gardens and hotel
* In room satellite TV and TV lounge (with ac)

• Related to: Business Travel, Family Travel, Seniors

H��TEL LES PALMIERS

RESIDENCE GALIAM: A GOOD PLACE

I found myself here after trying to get into the Cases d'hôtes Guesthouse. I enjoyed my stay, cold beers in the garden and nice swims in the swimming pool. The staff are friendly, security is excellent and its quiet. Its a very long walk into town, but a cheap taxi ride. The hotel is set in a nice local, working, neighborhood. Several small shops, bars and restaurants are nearby. They have 16 rooms and vary between a small room with a fan and shared bathroom to a large en-suite room with air-conditioning. The best room is available for 25 000 CFA (38.50€, $50). My room was 8500 CFA (13€, $17), had a fan, mosquito net, large refrigerator and a reasonable bed.

They offer rooms on a bed & breakfast basis, but also make meals you can enjoy poolside. Their small bar is well stocked and nothing is a problem.

If you want a little bit of luxury on a budget, stay here. You also get a chance to see lot of local life. I was treated very well and was always welcomed during my walks around the neighborhood.

This is a nice, quiet place to stay.

* Reasonably priced
* Swimming pool
* Poolside bar and meals
* Quiet
* Secure
* Good fridge in each room

• Related to: Budget Travel, Family Travel, Road Trip

RESIDENCE GALIAM

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Compexe Hôtelier Sana - Ouagadougou: TOO MUCH, TOO LITTLE, TOO FAR

OK. They have a swimming pool. That’s about the only water you can expect during your stay. This is more of a hotel for workers with a good sized dirty pool. I had very little water in my room the night I arrived and no water at all the next day. For this and several other reasons – I cannot recommend that any tourist stay here. The hotel is far from the city center, is run down, dirty, amazingly bad beds and not even a toilet seat. Not having water for a shower, shave or even flushing the toilet just really says it all. I had a trickle of water the night I arrived and it took me 2 hours to wash a few items of clothing.

I booked this hotel due to the price, look of the room on their website and the swimming pool. I figured that cheap taxis back and forth would be ok. I found everything wrong on all counts. I did have air-conditioning, but the bed was so bad I really couldn’t sleep properly. I had agreed to pay 15,000 CFA for 4 nights. I paid the normal 19,000 the first morning and ran away. I found it a long walk (1 km) just to the main road to flag down a taxi. There were no taxis to be seen near the hotel.

To top it off I paid 1000 CFA for a bottle of water. It was dirty and every drop tasted like dust.

I have stayed at better hotels across Africa for less. And had water. I have stayed in places where the water stopped, but a stand-by was made available immediately. This hotel is definitely not recommended by me.

• Far away
• No water – except in the pool
• Bad beds
• Dirty

• Related to: Singles, Budget Travel, Business Travel
  • Written April 14, 2012

SPLENDID HOTEL - OUAGADOUGOU: A BIT MORE EXPENSIVE THAN THE OTHERS

OK, I just don't find this place Splendid. Rooms start at 55,000 CFA. Yes it has a pool, but its several thousand more expensive than comparable neighbors also with pools in the heart of Ouagadougou. Essentially this is a souless concrete tower block with a concrete pool area, not a bit of greenery anywhere. Yes - it is on the 'High Street' of Ave. Kwamé N’Krumah. Close by are 2 cheaper alternatives with their own gardens - La Palmeraie at 51,000 CFA (including Tax) or Hôtel les Palmiers at 32,000 (inc. tax).

The rooms look basic even on their website. They have a restaurant. Other than that, they don't even have currency exchange.

When I was looking to stay at one of the upscale hotels in Ouagadougou - I decided not to stay here. I got more, paid less and was happy.

Please note: I saw more and had more hassle at the entrance to this hotel than all the rest of my journey in Burkina Faso combined. The guard not only had to use a club to keep them away from anyone going in and out - I demanded he use it! I was even grabbed by one of these crazy touts.

They do have basic personal and business services like:
* Conference facility
* Business Center
* Internet (no wifi in rooms despite the advertising)
* Mini bar in room
* Safe - at reception only
(Anything else you have to leave the hotel for)

* Close enough to the airport you could walk there

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Spa and Resort, Business Travel, Luxury Travel
  • Written April 12, 2012

NO GARDEN - JUST CONCRETE

• call_me_rhia profile photo call_me_rhia
  • Reviews: 4274

chez giuliana: Where to stay in Ouagadougou

Owned and managed by Giuliana, an Italian woman in Burkina since 1999, this guesthouse is a little gem. Located in a safe area, Giuliana and her son Andrea will make you feel at home from the moment you arrive until you leave. Andrea is a chef so he can cook for you, if requested. In case you want to cook yourself, there's only a fully-equiped kitchen that you can use.

7 wonderful rooms with nice african decorations, air-con, fan, private bathroom, and mosquito net. I stayed in the blue room in one occasion, and the "ciel" room on the balcony the second time: this room is truly wonderful. A simple but delicious breakfast is included.

• Written March 29, 2012

• Giada76 profile photo Giada76
  • Reviews: 1

Laafi Roogo: Accomodation in Ouagadougou

In the Capital, Ouagadougou, a very nice and comfortable pension LAAFI ROOGO managed from young people from Burkina Faso with the help of Shalom Movement in Italy. Very good and safe food, very comfortable bedrooms with shower and mosquito-net on every bed.
They cooked everything we wanted, help us during our stay and gave us lots of advices!

• Written January 26, 2009

• hydronetta profile photo hydronetta
  • Reviews: 903

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Various: Accommodation quality

Burkina Faso is not a major tourist destination so apart from major towns like Ouagadougou or Bobo Dioulasso all other places have rather basic accommodation. That means rooms vary in size, look spartan (pity given that they could be easily decorated in african style), mosquito nets may not exist, hot water may not be available! Prices for mid range accommodation that we chose ranged anything between 20-40€ but prices didn't always reflect better quality or value for money. Apart from that price for breakfast is not included in price adding an extra 2.5-3€ per person.
Breakfast consists typically of french baquette, butter, marmelade and coffee or tea (milk supplied in powder)

• Written February 5, 2008
Tip Photo

....not a vacation bungalow :-)

Sort by: Most recent | Most helpful