Hotel le Silmande Ougadougou

Route de Kaya BP 01 4733, Ouagadougou 01 Burkina Faso
Despegar.com Hotels.com Otel.com

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Ouagadougou

Figure this one out yourselfFigure this one out yourself

Ouaga taxi driverOuaga taxi driver

Tasty Ivoirian fishTasty Ivoirian fish

The poolThe pool

Travel Tips for Ouagadougou

Eating Out

by MikeM2

"Resturant - L'Eau Vive"

This restaurant should be on everyone's travel plan for the city

The meals are served in a central courtyard - a great setting for relaxation and to enjoy the meal - a simple but adequate menu

The restaurant is run by an order of nuns who generate funds in order to support the work they are doing in the city

Ouagadougou, Burkina's Dusty Capital

by lemondrop

"Pronounced Wa-ga-doo-goo"

Thankfully called Ouaga(wa-ga) for short, this city is surprisingly modern. Although not packed with must do activities, there is plenty of good food and crafts shopping. The streets are quite manageable on foot, traffic isn't too bad, and crime is low.

Wagadou express

by johnbradshawlayfield

Wagadou or Ouagadougou is the capital of Burkina Faso.

I stayed with my parents along with my elder brother in Mauritania ie Nouakchott for a month. That is because my father had some work there. I and my brother decided to go to Ouaga for a week or so. So we obtained the visas and necessary documents an d left for Burkina by air on Air Burkina. When we reached there it was about 30 degrees due to winter going on. We took a taxi from the airport to the hotel and on the way, we captured the city chaos.

How do you pronounce the citys name...:-)

by Inga78

Well I loved my very short stay in ouagadougou. We had been at some airport (have no idea where) for hours until they finaly sent us on a plane to this fun city. We bought some wine in the duty free and had a party in our hotel room when we got there. Driving through the city was funny. Everyone was driving these scooters, ladys wearing dresses with baby´s on theyr backs. we got to the hotel and everybody changed and then it was party time. Unfortunatly I got sick. istarted to get a fever end then I just had to go to bed but the crew partied the whole night some sun lotion and shaving cream was emptyied.... Four people ended in the shower nothing kinky if you were thinking that it ended up in a water fight people in theyr clothes in theyr shower.... Crazyness. I missed most of it because I was so ill.
My day started with a visit to the hotel doctor...it was a bit odd. His office was very dirty and he didn´t understand english but gave me a bag of drugs to take and toled me to sleep. I did sleep and take the medicine. I didn´t operate the flight back but the stay was realy nice. Great service at the hotel and good food. The pool was huge and my friend toled me that once he met Danny Glover there, the guy from Lethal Wepon... So just because it´s hard to say the city´s and contry´s name it´s a pritty cool place.

Burkina Faso

by gp100

"I spent nearly a week here one afternoon!"

'Just a four hour layover' I thought, as the plane settled onto the runway in the capital city of Burkina Faso - Ouagadougou. "Time for some reading."

I sauntered slowly down the steps to the tarmac and into the terminal where I located my bag, and to the short line formed at the Immigration counter. I was looking forward to catching my flight to Algiers, to reunite with some old friends for a celebratory dinner and party. If all went well, I would be in Algiers before 8 P.M.

I casually surrendered my passport and ticket, paying little attention to the military sergeant who took my documents. When he first asked me about a Visa, I referred him to the ticket, which clearly stated I was to be leaving the airport in just over three hours, and told him I was only 'in transit' - but my past travels in Africa had honed in me a kind of sixth sense which told me there was something about to go amiss, and rather quickly.

"This flight does not exist" was the sergeant's matter-of-fact reply. "Does not exist?" I asked .... and that sixth sense was now screaming at me ... "Oh No ... this isn't going well!!!!" The sergeant repeated his statement, held up my passport, and told me what I already knew - I had no entry visa for Burkina Faso. "One doesn't need a visa for a mere transit, does one?" I asked, already sensing the answer would not be what I hoped to hear.

"Your flight has been cancelled" I heard the sergeant say, and he continued with "the next flight to Algiers is Friday Morning, at 8:00 A.M.. You have no entry visa. What are you going to do?"

What WAS I going to do???? This was MONDAY – no flight until FRIDAY!!!!!

I suspected it would behoove me to come up with an answer, and quickly. I realized, too, every other passenger who had arrived with me on the flight had cleared the documentation check, and I was the sole traveler still not through Immigration. 'Think Quick' I told myself, as I rattled off something which sounded so absurd, I wished I could have retracted it before it was out of my mouth ..

"Well, I am military - a sergeant, just like you ... why not give me a uniform and let me work here for you until Friday morning?" I saw a gleam forming in the sergeant's eyes, as he asked me, in amazement "You are military? A sergeant?" Sensing I had somehow made a blind stab in the dark that had actually hit pay dirt, I replied quickly, "Yes, and I will be happy to stay right here and help you for the next three days, if you need me".

The sergeant excused himself and left with my passport and ticket. He returned in three or four minutes and handed me my passport, the ink still wet on a Burkina Faso Entry visa stamp. As he handed me my ticket, he showed me he had gotten the date and time of my departing flight changed to reflect the actual departure of that Friday morning.

"Welcome to Burkina Faso. 'Mon Sergeant'" I heard him say. "You will find taxis at the exit if you need one. You may use my phone to call the American Embassy if you wish. When you return Friday morning, find me and I will assist you in getting on your exit flight."

With that he shook my hand, and I asked for assistance in calling the Embassy. A corporal was summoned, who took me to the office, and dialed the number for me. I called, and lo and behold, the lady who answered the phone was an old friend from a previous African assignment, and after the expected "What the hell are you doing here?" drill, said she would be there in five minutes to pick me up. The corporal escorted me to the exit, carried my bag for me, and waited with me until my friend arrived. I was still utterly dizzy with disbelief when she drove up, wondering how I had managed to pull off another travel miracle in Africa. As we drove away, I decided to skip the details as I told here briefly how I had ended up here, without a visa, and without the all important country clearance from the embassy. I suspected she’d not believe me anyway!

Comments