Rue Joseph Badoua, Ouagadougou, 01 BP 6878, Burkina Faso

• DAO's Profile Photo

JUST ABOUT RIGHT

I stayed at 4 hotels in Ouagadougou. If this was a review by Goldilocks, I would say this hotel is just right. You can get a nice room for 32,000 XOF (48€, $64) for 2 people with air-conditioning, a green garden, big cold beers at the poolside bar. They also offer 2 restaurants, a conference facility and 24 hour security (except when they took me by scooter at 3am to the airport.

Les Palmiers is completely quiet, a short walk (60 meters) to the main market, close to the airport and comfortable. The gardens are ok. Maybe they need a better gardener, but you can sit outside an soak of the sun, beer and/or food. You can also use your wi-fi underneath a thatched roof and still enjoy the weather.

The pool area is a bit basic at first sight and could do with a few new cushions. otherwise it does the job and the bar is right beside it and in the middle of the gardens.

My room was good. It had a TV I never switched on, Air-conditioning and a standing fan - a very good combination actually. Ok bathroom, desk, some nice art on the walls and a solid steel door. My bed was - just right! I managed a good night's sleep in absolute silence except for my air-conditioning humming quietly. The combination of environmental controls allowed me to dry clothes quickly and keep my bathroom cool. For some reason the bathroom wall was red hot, I believe due to the sun hitting the outside and retaining the heat.

For the money in Ouagadougou I would recommend Les Palmiers.

I would also recommend that you reserve in advance. They only have 14 rooms and could only give me a room for 1 night. If you email, get a response! They are not the best at replying.

Unique Quality:
    * Quiet location and gardens
    * 2 restaurants (mixed reviews)
    * Close walk to main market and other restaurants, shopping, banking
    * Wi-fi and Internet-connected computer
    * Conference room
    * Good rooms (no mini-bar)
    * Reasonable pool
    * Bar in the middle of pool, gardens and hotel
    * In room satellite TV and TV lounge (with ac)

Directions: Near the German Embassy and 120 meters south-west of the main market

Comments