Bujumbura Hotels

Our Members Say

• orix profile photo orix
  • Reviews: 72

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Keza (Saga beach resort): Hotel Keza

This is a very basic hotel with few rooms with shower attached. There are actually two hotels here one for 50USD a night about 200m from the lake and one almost on the lake for 100USD per night. I would prefer the first since it is more quiet. Very basic breakfast included. I enjoyed my stay maily due to the amazing location next to the beach bar.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Beaches
  • Written July 20, 2012
Tip Photo

• michel.laporte profile photo michel.laporte
  • Reviews: 2

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Excellent Hotel Restaurant with Panoramic View !!: Bujumbura Hotel Restaurant VAYA Apartments

The most cozy place i've seen during my stay in Burundi. The owner and his family are nice persons, making you at ease. The dishes are of a rare quality and the rooms are large and tidy.

The view on the city is particularly enjoyable at night, when it lightens up.

I would really recommend the place for anyone who enjoys calm and quality service.

Séjour du Juillet 2010 - voyage d'affaires

Besides excellent location, the hospitality and specific care for customers is unforgettable. I wish we could visit again the Hotel Vaya. We liked the cuisine, a mixture of the Mediterranean and local cuisine, professional service.

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Business Travel, Family Travel
  • Written July 15, 2011

Bujumbura Hotel Restaurant Vaya Apartments Burundi

• Reviews: 3557

HÔTEL LE DOYEN: YOU WANT CHEAP ?

Don’t expect a lot as you won’t pay a lot. This hotel is located right next to the Craft Market and sports stadium which means it is in the middle of everything. From the outside it looked like it had closed years ago. It is still open and may have once had grand rooms. I would suggest you have your own sleeping bag. The nice man at ‘reception’ was happy to show me a room that looked clean, but really faded. You should be able to negotiate a lower price than first asked. They seemed to have a lot of rooms and few guests. Having said that, they had 24 hour security and the 2 buildings were secure. They have budget options with shared bathrooms or large rooms with massive en-suite bathrooms.

It’s open, it’s cheap and it’s available.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Singles, Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written March 14, 2010

H��TEL LE DOYEN

UBUNTU RESIDENCE: LUXURY ON THE LAKE

The Ubuntu Residence is a bit more apartment than hotel. They offer good sized living quarters and the larger units offer 2 stories with a balcony and a car garage. It’s definitely family oriented here and they have some commanding views of Lake Tanganyika. They have a large terrace featuring the (locally) famous Kiboko Grill and bar. It is renowned for serving the best pizza in Bujumbura. It also hosts high profile events so you may see the odd politician or other celebrities. They also have a swimming pool and plenty of tables to sit and enjoy a meal or drink outdoors. This is popular with ex-pats and stays full, so advance reservations are highly recommended. They also have 2 resident Grey-crowned Cranes who may join you for dinner!

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Work Abroad, Family Travel, Luxury Travel
  • Written January 23, 2010

SAGA RESIDENCE: IT'S COOL

The Saga is an interesting hotel. It’s also right in the centre of everything. Most of this somewhat boutique hotel is open to the sky and it creates a very nice atmosphere in the bar/restaurant area. They seem to have different classes of rooms and I was duly shown 8A which I took just because of the great look of the room. It had a very large bed, chairs, rugs, air-conditioning, a massive fan, TV, wardrobe and a lot of tables. It was very large and looked great. After I checked in I discovered the long bathroom which was absolutely basic. The toilet had no seat, the shower tray needed to be replaced and it was bare. Having said that it was functional, gave me place to wash and hand clothes to dry and the shower gave me endless hot water at a good pressure.

The second night I was there loud music pumped from the restaurant right into my room which concerned me, but at 9pm it was promptly shut off. The hotel is lovely and quiet at night, they have a well reviewed restaurant and bar and the staff are helpful.

They are located right across the street from the Yahoo! Bus location, 1 block from the Post Office, main market, grocery stores, 2 blocks from immigration and a cheap taxi moto ride from the beach.

In a word – perfect. For what you get, where you get it and what you pay you just can’t beat this place.

By the way the TV’s in Burundi only get 1 channel.

REMINDER: You need mosquito repellent at night in the restaurant/bar as it is open air effectively.

* Quiet
* Central location
* Good restaurant/bar
* Big rooms with a/c and fan

• Written December 8, 2009
Tip Photo

• dantee profile photo dantee
  • Reviews: 2

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Safari Gate: Cheaper but still luxurious for Africa

The Safari Gate is a lovely old colonial mansion: clean modern rooms with airconditioning, nice bathrooms with tons of hot water, a few cable channels, FREE wireless internet and consoles to access the internet, water front setting with tons of palm trees(although you will want to go further down to find a nice beach) and rooftop and garden restaurants.

Single rooms are $30/night. Doubles are $60. I have a caveat here, however. I was traveling with my two female roommates and all of us girls wanted to share a room or two to save money. However, they told us that the $60/night rate was only for couples. My roommate then argued that two of us COULD be a couple. The proprietess responded that that rate was only for couples who could get married. My roommate responded that in some countries two women could get married. The proprietess was very polite even after she became convinced that we were lesbians. She had wanted to charge us $90 for the double plus another $30 for the extra person but she eventually caved and gave us $90/night because they didn't have the singles we requested.

The most unique features are the free wireless internet throughout and the ambience.

• Related to: Beaches, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written March 21, 2007

• GBishop524 profile photo GBishop524
  • Reviews: 15

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

The Botanika: the best hotel in town

The Botanika is a small hotel with beautiful rooms with impecable staff. The rooms are spacious by afica terms. The botanika also boast the best restaurant in town.

Satellite TV with newer model TV's are in each room. Most importantly each room has it's own Air conditioning. For an aditional $10 they include all laundry and meals (the full menu not a limited version of it) not including drinks. The staff is probably the best asset they have Friendly, hospitable and very helpful. The staff would even go shopping for me so that I wouldn't have to pay the "white prices" as they called it. If your ever in Bujumbura and you stay anyplace else, well, your just wrong.
I first stayed at the sofitel and was eatin alive by bugs IN MY ROOM and when I asked about AC the sent a fan up.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average