Memnon Hotel

Hostelworld.com HostelBookers.com

Tags

Historical Travel Budget Travel Backpacking
June.b's Profile Photo

Nice location and good value but....

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 9, 2011

I came late at night and since I've already read some info on the internet I know that the entrance is located at the back of the hotel not infront along the cornische road. So I walked at the small street leading to the back but still I found it hard to locate that I inquired from those 3 guys sitting nearby and one of them pressed a small buzzer beside a non-working elevator and a man poked his head on one of the window up and the guy I asked told me to go up the stairs. The stairs that was unfinished! So I had to tip toe and it looks like, well, is this really the hotel? or an abandoned building? Reaching the second floor that's when I realized it was a working hotel. The reception is on the second floor about 3 plights of stairs from the ground. The following day two guys started working on the stairs and it was difficult to pass by everytime and good thing it was already done on the third day. The entrance is a letdown really until you reached the reception.

He easily checked me in and he's kinda friendly. I was escorted to my room on the third floor I think (or fourth), no elevator so I have to use the stairs and the guy apologized as the stairs is under construction and will be finished by tomorrow.

The room was ok but the view of the nile is fantastic and unobstructed, along with the traffic down the street below. The following morning I've noticed that I was the only one who's taking the breakfast so I've realized I think I was the only one in the hotel. Although I saw an italian couple during my abu simbel tour. The street below is busy and a little noisy, not a bother for me though.

The hotel can arrange all your trips, I saw 3 guys alternately manning the reception desk, the youngest guy being very friendly and accommodating. There's also Ahmad - the only receptionist I rememered the name - who you can count on in getting your train ticket.

Now, the room -- it's big enough to move around, has double bed, the aircon is working but facing directly the bed so it can get really cold at night, big bathroom but a little drab, there's a tub but no, can't really use it for a long bath - it's a bit dirty.. Large fridge that I never use.

Room make-up means arrange the sheets but the linens are still the same one, same goes with the towels, during my 3 nights there. Old furnitures/fixtures, no TV, and when I requested the owner who is always sitting there at the reception area everyday for a late checkout because my train is leaving late in the afternoon, he said it wasn't possible and I was just allowed to wait at the reception area. Nonetheless, I was really hungry so I bide my time at this pizza joint near the train station instead of hanging out at the hotel.

The tours offered by the hotel is reasonable though, Internet cafe in front of the hotel is EGP10/hour discounted at 7 if you're staying at Memnon Hotel. Still expensive as I found out later in Luxor and Cairo which generally cost 5.

All-in-all, it's an ok hotel just because it's facing the nile and a great view - though there are lots of hotel along this street too - and it offers reasonably-priced tours and friendly staff including the female staff. The Horus Hotel which is nearby is cheaper but I have not seen their rooms.

The hotel is near many eateries, restaurants and the souk/bazaar area. The Nile street is infront but you'll always be bothered by the felucca people.

Breakfast was included and basic but filling and for the price at EGP70/night, it's ok.

I will recommend it still, others may even be worse.

Unique Quality: Reasonably-priced and friendly staff.

Directions: along the Nile street

Nearby Memnon Hotel

Memnon Hotel

• Memnon Hotel Aswan

Address: Nile Street Above The National Bank, Aswan, 81111, Egypt

5 Photos of Memnon Hotel

View Professional Photos

Aswan Travel Forum

Need advice about Aswan, Egypt? Visit the Travel Forum for Aswan and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Aswan hotel reviews