Nile Street Above The National Bank, Aswan, 81111, Egypt

HostelBookers.com Hostelworld.com

Satisfaction Average

• June.b's Profile Photo

Nice location and good value but....

I came late at night and since I've already read some info on the internet I know that the entrance is located at the back of the hotel not infront along the cornische road. So I walked at the small street leading to the back but still I found it hard to locate that I inquired from those 3 guys sitting nearby and one of them pressed a small buzzer beside a non-working elevator and a man poked his head on one of the window up and the guy I asked told me to go up the stairs. The stairs that was unfinished! So I had to tip toe and it looks like, well, is this really the hotel? or an abandoned building? Reaching the second floor that's when I realized it was a working hotel. The reception is on the second floor about 3 plights of stairs from the ground. The following day two guys started working on the stairs and it was difficult to pass by everytime and good thing it was already done on the third day. The entrance is a letdown really until you reached the reception.

He easily checked me in and he's kinda friendly. I was escorted to my room on the third floor I think (or fourth), no elevator so I have to use the stairs and the guy apologized as the stairs is under construction and will be finished by tomorrow.

The room was ok but the view of the nile is fantastic and unobstructed, along with the traffic down the street below. The following morning I've noticed that I was the only one who's taking the breakfast so I've realized I think I was the only one in the hotel. Although I saw an italian couple during my abu simbel tour. The street below is busy and a little noisy, not a bother for me though.

The hotel can arrange all your trips, I saw 3 guys alternately manning the reception desk, the youngest guy being very friendly and accommodating. There's also Ahmad - the only receptionist I rememered the name - who you can count on in getting your train ticket.

Now, the room -- it's big enough to move around, has double bed, the aircon is working but facing directly the bed so it can get really cold at night, big bathroom but a little drab, there's a tub but no, can't really use it for a long bath - it's a bit dirty.. Large fridge that I never use.

Room make-up means arrange the sheets but the linens are still the same one, same goes with the towels, during my 3 nights there. Old furnitures/fixtures, no TV, and when I requested the owner who is always sitting there at the reception area everyday for a late checkout because my train is leaving late in the afternoon, he said it wasn't possible and I was just allowed to wait at the reception area. Nonetheless, I was really hungry so I bide my time at this pizza joint near the train station instead of hanging out at the hotel.

The tours offered by the hotel is reasonable though, Internet cafe in front of the hotel is EGP10/hour discounted at 7 if you're staying at Memnon Hotel. Still expensive as I found out later in Luxor and Cairo which generally cost 5.

All-in-all, it's an ok hotel just because it's facing the nile and a great view - though there are lots of hotel along this street too - and it offers reasonably-priced tours and friendly staff including the female staff. The Horus Hotel which is nearby is cheaper but I have not seen their rooms.

The hotel is near many eateries, restaurants and the souk/bazaar area. The Nile street is infront but you'll always be bothered by the felucca people.

Breakfast was included and basic but filling and for the price at EGP70/night, it's ok.

I will recommend it still, others may even be worse.

Unique Quality: Reasonably-priced and friendly staff.

Directions: along the Nile street

More about Aswan

The Mirage!The Mirage!

The beautiful Clean CityThe beautiful Clean City

Nle at Dawn.Nle at Dawn.

The girl in my group.The girl in my group.

Aswan or Luxor?

by aligen

Hi there,
we will be travelling to cairo in march 2011, and we were looking to take an overnight train from cairo to either Luxor or Aswan, stay a night, then take the night train back. With our itinerary, only 1 night is possible. Would you recommend Luxor or Aswan, and why?
Thanks so much!

by ElDesierto

Luxor, as there is much more to do and see in the two days that you will be there. Luxor has a much greater concentration of ancient Egyptian temples and tombs, all within day trip distance. It's also closer to Cairo, so you will be spending less time on the train.

Luck,
ElDesierto

by GrumpyDiver

Luxor for sure. There really isn't that much to see in Aswan, especially when you compare to Luxor. The Valley of the Kings and Queens, Karnak Temple, Luxor Temple, etc. etc. are in / near Luxor.

It's closer to Cairo too.

by aligen

Thanks so much!

by samarsaladin

Luxor

You Can ride sturdy donkeys to the Valley of the Kings. Your route back offers magnificent views of the Nile Valley and passes the Colossi of Memnon. In the afternoon You get our horse drawn carriages to Karnak for a guided tour, in the evening you take the overnight Sleeper train back to Cairo

Aswan

you can explore the city or to take an excursion to Abu Simbel or to Visit the Philae Temple, the High Dam, and the Granite Quarries or to take a ride on a felucca around Kitchener's Island

Entrance Fees as following:
Valley of the kings 80
Karnak Temple 65
Abu simbel 80
Philae Temple 50

Travel Tips for Aswan

Aswan Tip

by myriam_c

the landscape between Luxor and Aswan: the desert at one side, rich soil with thousands of palmtrees at the other side of the Nile. And all this beauty just passes by while you are relaxing at the pool of your ship ...

Planning Excursions Around Aswan

by atufft

Many of the great temples normally considered part of the visit to Aswan are rather distant, and so some advance logistics are recommended. Most hotels will arrange a ride in an early morning shuttle to the temples at Abu Simbel, and self excursions via boat to the temples at Philae and Kalabsha are easy enough to arrange with a little help at the hotel desk. But, the trips to Kawm Umbu and Idfu require resourcefulness for the adventure traveler. Egypt is an friendly and easy place to travel, despite all appearances, and so much of the adventure will come in simply getting to these places. Check out the blue links for further details. They are all worth visiting. For those with limited time, skip the cruise ship and take the local van transport. I have many great memories of Aswan, but I'll never forget the beauty of the Nile River at this part of Egypt. Simply riding with locals in the vans that ply the ribbon highway which snakes along the Nile River is unforgettable and beyond the norm for most visitors to Egypt.

The Nile

by sue_stone

Most of the travels we did in Egypt involved the Nile, or being near the Nile, but I found it most beautiful at Aswan.

The views of the Nile were all that I had hoped for when I dreamed of coming to Egypt.

So make sure you find a good vantage point for some photos and to enjoy the view, and also ensure you get out on the water!

Brave Aswan Canines

by kenmerk

Well the dogs here in Aswan are either very brave or very stupid. This one jumped up on the ledge of the high dam. (Seemingly because he wanted to get his picture taken...)

Sure, I'll take your picture... (He does strike an nice pose...) Guess he knows what he is doing. He lives here, and I'm just visiting...

Ramadan

by CandS

While we were in Egypt the Muslim community were in the middle of Ramadan. We had heard that it could cause problems with our tour or that we may not get to eat because of Ramadan but really we didn't have any problems at all because of it.

The locals did seem to go a bit crazy around 4:30 - 5:30 pm when they ALL seemed to be on the road travelling home or to where ever they would eat their "break-fast" but it didn't affect us too much. We also found a lot of locals eating in the streets and enjoying each others company. It was nice to see!!!

A couple of nights we also joined our tour guide (a local Egyptian) for his "break-fast" meal... :)

Comments