Moevenpick Elephantine Island Resort Aswan

Tags

Archeology Historical Travel Family Travel
See Amenities
June.b's Profile Photo

The changing colour tower at night

by written on June 15, 2011

Located in the Elephantine Island in the middle of the Nile river, the Moevenpick is probably the best luxury hotel in Aswan.

I did not stay in this hotel but I was really amused one evening when I noticed that the tall building or tower in front of my hotel, the view from my window, actually keep on changing colours every 10 seconds I guess. I think 4 colour of lights beautifully interchanging and casting a nice sight along the Nile river in the dark of the night. (See the pics on the light changes).

You may be able to catch a promo rate of US$60 per night with breakfast online, rack rate at US$110.

sfphototraveller's Profile Photo

MOEVENPICK RESORT

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 6, 2010

Nice Room, Very large clean swimming Pool. Great Breakfast buffet they also have dinner buffet sometimes.

Unique Quality: Resort is on an island, you need to catch the free ferryboat to get back and forth every 15-20 mins. It was a nice place to be at away from the Cairo traffic,noise,pollution.
To a nice pleasant hotel on an island resort, Very Peaceful and pleasant at this resort.

Court94403's Profile Photo

Nubian Hospitality wth a Swiss Feel

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 18, 2010

The Movenpick Hotel on Elephantine Island in Aswan Egypt located on The Nile in present day Nubia, offers a way for one to see one of the most beautiful cities in Egypt. The Movenpick actually the remodeled Oberoi Hotel. Situated on the Northern tip of Elephantine Island. This beautiful, quiet hotel will give you a 360 degree view of all Aswan.

The Movenpick is closely located to all of the interesting sites you will want to see while you visit. Kitchener's Island, Aswan High Dam, Lake Nasser, The Nile Cataracts, The Tomb of the Nobles, Philae Temple, The Nubian Museum, The Nubian Village, The Unfinished Obelisk, and The Mausoleum of The Aga Khan. In a less than 10 minute ferry ride across the Nile you will find yourself on The East Bank in the center of Aswan, on the Corniche in walking distance to the markets, shops, clubs, and restaurants.

Unique Quality: The Movenpick's newly renovated rooms are designed with Nubian Art. The rooms are comfortable and immaculately clean, the staff is friendly and courteous. All rooms are air-conditioned with televisions and internet access room service, and the works. The best feature about the Movenpick is all the rooms have balconies, to enjoy a sunrise breakfast or afternoon tea. The hotel also has 2 bars, The Lounge Bar and the Panorama Bar, located on the 13th floor of the hotel tower. This is a great place for viewing Aswan at sunset and at night while enjoying a drink and dinner with friends.

The Orangerie Restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch, dinner and late night snacks.

Directions: By ferry to Elephantine Island (5-7 minute ride) Free!

NilePrincess's Profile Photo

A slice of heaven

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 5, 2008

In my review last year I said this place would be amazing once the renovations were completed. I was right! I regret that I only stayed two nights. I won't make that mistake again.

The hotel grounds are still pristine and, upon entering the main building, I was pleasantly surprised by the new lobby. It is top notch and surpassed only by the friendliness and professionalism of the staff. I arrived sweaty and tired from Luxor (with stops at Edfu and Kom Ombo on the way). Did I mention it was a little after high noon in August?? The staff was sympathetic and friendly, getting me checked in in record time. Upon arrival to my room, I mentioned that I would have liked to see more of the Nile, and in no time at all the front desk called to try to get me a better view. I was slightly embarassed by all the fuss. A little later the phone in my room stopped working and again, less than ten minutes after I called reception, two technicians were in my room with a spare phone and a line tester. I cannot praise the service enough. There is a clear distinction between this year and last's. It is clear that the Moevenpick did a complete overhaul here and is taking customer satisfaction very seriously. It is appreciated. Keep it up. Everyone I came into contact with offered impeccable service..and with a smile!

The rooms - Last year, my only complaint was that the rooms, though clean, were in need of refurbishing. This year, the warm Nubian decor welcomed me. I love the open plan bathroom, ultra modern bathroom fixtures and excellent water pressure in the shower. This is something you appreciate even more in August. The view from my balcony was magical. It was a partial garden/Nile view but I could lay on my bed and watch the Tombs of the Nobles lit up at night and even better, the feluccas sailing past in the morning. Words can't describe the feeling of waking up the sight of white sails gliding on the Nile with the tombs as a backdrop. I was transported. Speaking of laying in bed, the beds are extremely comfortable and the sheets and comforters soft and snuggalicious.

The food - The breakfast buffet is quite extensive and has something for everyone. From breads and pastries, to eggs, fruit,sausages, pancakes, local Egyptian dishes and hot cereals you will not leave hungry. It's served in the Orangerie, a clean-lined, modern restaurant.

Room service was flawless and the prices were quite reasonable. Delivery was timely, the food was excellent and the staff again were professional, courteous and couldn't do enough for you. While I loved the food, my favorite dish was a dessert called Omm Ali. It was my first time trying it and I was not disappointed!

The Tower - The tower is now open and tea is served there from 4-7pm at a cost of 50LE. There is also a happy hour from 9pm - 10:30pm where drinks are half price. Definitely go have a look, if only for the view of the Nile and Aswan city.

Safety - There is the guard out front, but more importantly I noticed the sprinklers in the rooms and the fire extinguishers on every floor (3 per floor).

Spa treatments are available. I didn't try them but they are very reasonably priced. The pool is also open.

On my day of departure, my flight didn't leave until midnight. Because there were a number of groups there at the time, with more arriving that day, reception couldn't help me too much with late check-out. Instead, they advised that I pay a day room rate of $30, which allowed me to stay till 6. They further extended this until 7:30pm. From there, I just went to dinner and did last minute shopping until my flight. Something to consider if you have a very late flight. It was an excellent solution and pretty cheap.

All in all, I had a FANTASTIC stay. Well done by the Moevenpick. The renovations were worth the wait. There is still some work going on on one end of the building but I was not affected by this. I could hear noise in the hallways but not once I closed my door. Once that work is completed, the the rooms facing Kitchener Island will be open for booking and the view from those rooms will be heaven on earth. Can't wait!

Tip: I was able to book this hotel for $60/night on cheaptickets.com both last year and this year while the hotel website was asking $120+. Prices on all websites seem to have risen sharply due to the completed refurb but be sure to keep checking online agencies for deals.

Unique Quality: Beautiful gardens, stunning views of the Nile and the Tombs of the Nobles, GREAT service.

AnnemarieC's Profile Photo

Elephantine Island Resort

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 1, 2006

4/5 star hotel built on Elephantine Island in the middle of the river Nile. Large rooms, good facilities including reasonably priced and varied buffet breakfast and dinner dining options. Other restaurants available. Have tried the Italian and that was OK. Each room as a balcony over looking the Nile. You get to the hotel by using the private, complimentary shuttle ferry from the Corniche (takes about 5 minutes) and then walk through the well tended gardens.

The hotel has a nice pool area with a terrace restaurant for lunch. The pool is not heated. The hotel is dominated by a 1970's style 'control tower', which people hate the sight of. The only good thing about it, is that you can go up there in the lift and enjoy an afternoon tea at sunset. The top of the tower has glass windows 360 degrees offering very good views of Aswan and the Nile.

Nearby Moevenpick Elephantine Island Resort Aswan

• Business Services
  • Suites
  • Free High Speed Internet

Aswan Travel Forum

Need advice about Aswan, Egypt? Visit the Travel Forum for Aswan and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Aswan hotel reviews

Nubian Dinner and a Show
Philae Temple
The Temple of Isis in Philae
Things to Do
Allegedly a former employee of Moevenpick?
Tourist Traps
Felucca to the westbank tour
Train from Aswan to Luxor
Taxi
Cairo to Aswan
Delicious Pizza
Friendliest restaurant in Aswan
Restaurants
Kentucky in Aswan - dine with a view!
Stuffed Pigeon
Koshary Restaurant
Visit a Nubian Village
Sharia as-Souq
Things to Do
Take a leisure stroll along the corniche
Firyal Garden
Things to Do
Take a felucca sail along the Nile
Archangel Michael's Coptic Orthodox Cathedral