Elephantine Island, PO Box 62, Aswan, Nile River Valley, Egypt

Moevenpick Resort Aswan
Agoda.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• June.b's Profile Photo

The changing colour tower at night

Located in the Elephantine Island in the middle of the Nile river, the Moevenpick is probably the best luxury hotel in Aswan.

I did not stay in this hotel but I was really amused one evening when I noticed that the tall building or tower in front of my hotel, the view from my window, actually keep on changing colours every 10 seconds I guess. I think 4 colour of lights beautifully interchanging and casting a nice sight along the Nile river in the dark of the night. (See the pics on the light changes).

You may be able to catch a promo rate of US$60 per night with breakfast online, rack rate at US$110.

• sfphototraveller's Profile Photo

MOEVENPICK RESORT

Nice Room, Very large clean swimming Pool. Great Breakfast buffet they also have dinner buffet sometimes.

Unique Quality: Resort is on an island, you need to catch the free ferryboat to get back and forth every 15-20 mins. It was a nice place to be at away from the Cairo traffic,noise,pollution.
    To a nice pleasant hotel on an island resort, Very Peaceful and pleasant at this resort.

• Court94403's Profile Photo

Nubian Hospitality wth a Swiss Feel

The Movenpick Hotel on Elephantine Island in Aswan Egypt located on The Nile in present day Nubia, offers a way for one to see one of the most beautiful cities in Egypt. The Movenpick actually the remodeled Oberoi Hotel. Situated on the Northern tip of Elephantine Island. This beautiful, quiet hotel will give you a 360 degree view of all Aswan.

The Movenpick is closely located to all of the interesting sites you will want to see while you visit. Kitchener's Island, Aswan High Dam, Lake Nasser, The Nile Cataracts, The Tomb of the Nobles, Philae Temple, The Nubian Museum, The Nubian Village, The Unfinished Obelisk, and The Mausoleum of The Aga Khan. In a less than 10 minute ferry ride across the Nile you will find yourself on The East Bank in the center of Aswan, on the Corniche in walking distance to the markets, shops, clubs, and restaurants.

Unique Quality: The Movenpick's newly renovated rooms are designed with Nubian Art. The rooms are comfortable and immaculately clean, the staff is friendly and courteous. All rooms are air-conditioned with televisions and internet access room service, and the works. The best feature about the Movenpick is all the rooms have balconies, to enjoy a sunrise breakfast or afternoon tea. The hotel also has 2 bars, The Lounge Bar and the Panorama Bar, located on the 13th floor of the hotel tower. This is a great place for viewing Aswan at sunset and at night while enjoying a drink and dinner with friends.

The Orangerie Restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch, dinner and late night snacks.

Directions: By ferry to Elephantine Island (5-7 minute ride) Free!

• NilePrincess's Profile Photo

A slice of heaven

In my review last year I said this place would be amazing once the renovations were completed. I was right! I regret that I only stayed two nights. I won't make that mistake again.

The hotel grounds are still pristine and, upon entering the main building, I was pleasantly surprised by the new lobby. It is top notch and surpassed only by the friendliness and professionalism of the staff. I arrived sweaty and tired from Luxor (with stops at Edfu and Kom Ombo on the way). Did I mention it was a little after high noon in August?? The staff was sympathetic and friendly, getting me checked in in record time. Upon arrival to my room, I mentioned that I would have liked to see more of the Nile, and in no time at all the front desk called to try to get me a better view. I was slightly embarassed by all the fuss. A little later the phone in my room stopped working and again, less than ten minutes after I called reception, two technicians were in my room with a spare phone and a line tester. I cannot praise the service enough. There is a clear distinction between this year and last's. It is clear that the Moevenpick did a complete overhaul here and is taking customer satisfaction very seriously. It is appreciated. Keep it up. Everyone I came into contact with offered impeccable service..and with a smile!

The rooms - Last year, my only complaint was that the rooms, though clean, were in need of refurbishing. This year, the warm Nubian decor welcomed me. I love the open plan bathroom, ultra modern bathroom fixtures and excellent water pressure in the shower. This is something you appreciate even more in August. The view from my balcony was magical. It was a partial garden/Nile view but I could lay on my bed and watch the Tombs of the Nobles lit up at night and even better, the feluccas sailing past in the morning. Words can't describe the feeling of waking up the sight of white sails gliding on the Nile with the tombs as a backdrop. I was transported. Speaking of laying in bed, the beds are extremely comfortable and the sheets and comforters soft and snuggalicious.

The food - The breakfast buffet is quite extensive and has something for everyone. From breads and pastries, to eggs, fruit,sausages, pancakes, local Egyptian dishes and hot cereals you will not leave hungry. It's served in the Orangerie, a clean-lined, modern restaurant.

Room service was flawless and the prices were quite reasonable. Delivery was timely, the food was excellent and the staff again were professional, courteous and couldn't do enough for you. While I loved the food, my favorite dish was a dessert called Omm Ali. It was my first time trying it and I was not disappointed!

The Tower - The tower is now open and tea is served there from 4-7pm at a cost of 50LE. There is also a happy hour from 9pm - 10:30pm where drinks are half price. Definitely go have a look, if only for the view of the Nile and Aswan city.

Safety - There is the guard out front, but more importantly I noticed the sprinklers in the rooms and the fire extinguishers on every floor (3 per floor).

Spa treatments are available. I didn't try them but they are very reasonably priced. The pool is also open.

On my day of departure, my flight didn't leave until midnight. Because there were a number of groups there at the time, with more arriving that day, reception couldn't help me too much with late check-out. Instead, they advised that I pay a day room rate of $30, which allowed me to stay till 6. They further extended this until 7:30pm. From there, I just went to dinner and did last minute shopping until my flight. Something to consider if you have a very late flight. It was an excellent solution and pretty cheap.

All in all, I had a FANTASTIC stay. Well done by the Moevenpick. The renovations were worth the wait. There is still some work going on on one end of the building but I was not affected by this. I could hear noise in the hallways but not once I closed my door. Once that work is completed, the the rooms facing Kitchener Island will be open for booking and the view from those rooms will be heaven on earth. Can't wait!

Tip: I was able to book this hotel for $60/night on cheaptickets.com both last year and this year while the hotel website was asking $120+. Prices on all websites seem to have risen sharply due to the completed refurb but be sure to keep checking online agencies for deals.

Unique Quality: Beautiful gardens, stunning views of the Nile and the Tombs of the Nobles, GREAT service.

• AnnemarieC's Profile Photo

Elephantine Island Resort

4/5 star hotel built on Elephantine Island in the middle of the river Nile. Large rooms, good facilities including reasonably priced and varied buffet breakfast and dinner dining options. Other restaurants available. Have tried the Italian and that was OK. Each room as a balcony over looking the Nile. You get to the hotel by using the private, complimentary shuttle ferry from the Corniche (takes about 5 minutes) and then walk through the well tended gardens.

The hotel has a nice pool area with a terrace restaurant for lunch. The pool is not heated. The hotel is dominated by a 1970's style 'control tower', which people hate the sight of. The only good thing about it, is that you can go up there in the lift and enjoy an afternoon tea at sunset. The top of the tower has glass windows 360 degrees offering very good views of Aswan and the Nile.

More about Moevenpick Elephantine Island Resort Aswan

Afternoon tea

by AnnemarieC

Most people try and take afternoon tea at the Old Cataract Hotel but I don't think it's worth the effort of trying to get passed the guards on the gates. They seem to think that unless you are staying at the hotel, you can't afford it. They will make you buy a £3 (sterling) ticket and although it is refundable against your tea, why should you have to pay to even enter the hotel?

I much better option is to take the complimentary ferry over the the Elephantine Island Resort (used to be called the Oberoi). You can't miss it, it is built on Elephantine Island and has a huge 'control tower' that dominates Aswan. Take the lift from reception up to the top of the tower and enjoy 360 degrees views of the Nile and Aswan at sunset.

Nice hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Katergo

We just stayed for one night at the Movenpick Aswan.

We liked the location on an island on the Nile, far the city noice.

The hotel is still in the process of renovation. Rooms are nice, the swimming pool area is OK but nothing wonderful.

We booked a transfer from the airport to the hotel but they never showed up. We phoned the hotel ... the concierge told us that it would not come and that it would be cheaper to take a normal taxi anyway ...

We had a problem with our luggage which had not arrived from Europe. The assistant manager was VERY helpul as we found it difficult to get in touch with Alitalia in Cairo.

I have a mixed feeling really. Generally speaking the hotel, however is more a 3 star than a 5 star. I might be great when full renovation is completed, which was not the case in april.

Lovely Stay on Elephantine Island

by TripAdvisor Member GEMD_1996

We stayed for 2 nights at the Movenpick Resort Aswan (a.k.a. Elephantine Island Resort) in March 2008. Our stay was booked as a part of our tour with Globus/Avalon Waterways. We were pleased with our stay, enjoying the poolside cafe and main Orangerie Restaurant, as well as our newly refurbished Nubian Style room. The rooms were quite spatious with no external noise heard during our stay. The staff was helpful and promptly assisted us whenever necessary. This hotel is still under construction; however we were not bothered by anything during our stay. The restaurants and pool were open (as previously mentioned), as well as a shopping area adjacent to the hotel lobby. We did enjoy our stay at the Movenpick and I would recommend this property to anyone who might be enjoying time in Aswan.

Horrible

by TripAdvisor Member johnsodz

My husband and I stayed here for one night as part of our Globus/Avalon Waterways tour. We got in very late. Dinner was included, but the waiters were running around and very unorganized. We had to ask several times to just get a bottle of water. We were told by our guide water was included, but then it wasn't and we had to scramble back to pay. The food was probably the worst we had on the trip. Because the hotel is under construction you had to use a hotel room as the bathroom if we needed it while we were in the restaurant which was far away. We stayed in a section that has not been renovated. It is one of the worst hotel rooms I have ever stayed in. It felt dirty and dingy. The staff at the front desk was friendly though and they did bring the medicine we needed to our room which was good. Breakfast the next morning was okay, but I was glad to be going. Some people in our group wandered into where the renovations are going on, and they said it was beautiful, but they had a long ways to go. You have to take a ferry over to the island which was okay. I believe there are better places to stay in Aswan.

Nice big room

by TripAdvisor Member floves

Was there for 1 night. Though the place was under renovation, no swimming pools and stuffs, but my stay there was a plesant one. There isn't a proper reception, but the reception folks were very nice and friendly. Had breakfast, dinner and some ala cart, and I would say the food there are great. The hotel room was clean and spacious room with a walk-in wardrobe and spacious toilet. Nice hotel view as you can see the city across the Nile. The ferry to take you across the Nile is quite prompt too, and is quite fast, so its not really a hassle.

A Heaping Helping of Fundamentalism Along with Your Room

by TripAdvisor Member ArtyRose

We thought we had scored a deal by booking this hotel -- now managed by the Moevenpick chain -- for only $85 on Orbitz. We didn't know that the extras would include lectures on morality, demands for marriage licenses, threats of arrest, and 24 hour surveillance by a guard who offered to overlook our disgressions in return for sexual favors.

What did we do to deserve all this? Simply by traveling with a companion of the opposite sex who happened to be Arab. We were told this was against the law, separate rooms were required and doors would have to remain open if we wished to fraternize Oh, and our Egyptian friend would be arrested. All of this was disclosed AFTER we paid.

This issue was resolved only after a midnight shouting match and a summit the next day with the general manager. Hardly a relaxing vacation interlude.

The hotel itself is shabby and appears to be under continuous renovation. Various travel sites report that the rooms are renovated, and they may have been -- decades ago. The pool is closed, and travelers are offered a boat ride to another hotel and a free drink. Alas, that's only during the day.

The restaurant food was decent and the staff -- other than the security force and management -- were friendly.

Hotels in Egypt

by 07pettho

I am struggling to decide which hotels to stay in during my time in Egypt with my son. These are the ones we are choosing from:

In Cairo: Mena House Oberoi
Sheraton Cairo Hotel
Le Meridien Pyramids
Movenpick Pyramids

We would rather be located near the pyramids than the city centre, but how easy is it to get into Cairo for the Egyptian Museum?

In Luxor: Pavillon Winter
Sonesta St. George
Sheraton Luxor Resort
Sofitel Karnak Luxor

Is it best to be on the west or east bank?

In Aswan: Movenpick Resort Aswan

So I guess the question is which ones? We will be staying in each city for 1 night each. I have found very mixed reviews for most of them.

Also, a bit of a random question, how far from the Giza pyramids is Memphis and Saqqara?

Thanks in advance

by JessieLang

Three nights in Egypt? Not nearly enough! I can't advise you on those specific Cairo hotels, but I can tell you that getting around Cairo is very slow. The closer you stay to the pyramids, the easier it will be to get to them, but that leaves you in a huge traffic tangle to get through town to the Museum. The streets can become a giant parking lot. At the very least, add a night--stay near the pyramids one night, and near the museum the next.

by azz8206

I stayed at Movenpick Pyramids and it was a nice hotel. A word of warning though. Don't eat in the restaurant or use the internet because both are quite expensive. Also when going out make sure to buy bottles of water at the local store not in the hotel. You should have no problem getting cabs to drive to the museum or Memphis and Saqqara, which are about 20-30 minutes away from Giza. And you can most likely get a driver to drive you around the whole day for between 10-20USD. Happy Travels.

by 07pettho

Thanks you two,

Sorry I was unclear, We would spend the other nights travelling between cities (night train or flight) so we would in fact be spending 7 nights in Egypt altogether. Sorry, that was my fault.

by JessieLang

That makes more sense, but I still think you need more than one night in Cairo to see both the pyramids and the museum.

by azz8206

I agree with Jessie. Two nights in Cairo is better if you want to see both.

by Doctor38

The fastest way to travel in Cairo is to combine both taxi and Metro. In your case I would stay at the Mena House Oberi or the Movenpick Pyramids and get a taxi to Giza Metro station for around 10 LE than take a Metro to 1 LE to Sadat Station and walk to the Museum, which is around 5 minutes walk.

You don't need to switch hotels because you will still have to move between (this time with bags) your old and new hotel.

In luxor I stayed at the Movenpick which was great