Amwaj Oyoun Hotel and Resort

Nabq Bay, Sharm El Sheikh, 57, Egypt

Amwaj Oyoun Hotel & Resort
Expedia.com Travelocity Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Attention! Amwaj=Sexual harassment !

In this hotel you can meet staff which is not simply pushing .You will meet unwelcome behavior, unwanted sexual looks or gestures and unwanted sexual jokes, remarks, or questions
    something which you expect to see in Egypt but hope to avoid in 5 stars hotel.Would nt stay here never again and would nt recommend it to women and couples

More about Amwaj Oyoun Hotel and Resort

Disappointing Experience at the Millennium Oyoun Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member khayali

Based on the brand name of the Millennium Hotel we had high hopes for our vacation in Sharm and our stay at this new hotel. It was so much of a disappointment that we ended up checking out after the first day and finding another hotel just to get through our vacation with some semblance of relaxation. The food was horrifying, bland, and uneventful. It was more like eating dorm food; I've even had better in army barrack cafeterias before. The service was just horrendous, especially relating to the babysitting services. We made a reservation for a babysitter to arrive at 9:00am one morning and booked all of our scuba plans including catching a boat around this time. We didn't learn that babysitters don't start until 10:00am until she arrived in our room at 10:30am. That was ofcourse after the operator and front desk told me that she'd be arriving any minute for an hour and a half. Being lied to was easily the most frustrating part when no one wanted to tell the truth about the agent the night before having made the mistake of promising a babysitter at 9am. In the meantime breakfast closed, which probably was a blessing since the food was so terrible anyway, and we missed our only day to dive in sharm. Once the babysitter did arrive it was a young Russian girl in a bikini and a miniskirt and let's just say I was less than comfortable leaving our five month old baby solely in her care.

The nightmare ensued when they refused to refund our money for the rest of our stay, at which point my embassy travel agency had to get involved to remind them of the refund rules. Once we were out of that place and at a much nicer resort at the Sofitel, our vacation really began and we enjoyed the rest of our stay in Sharm.

Good hotel, staff excellent

by TripAdvisor Member Jowett52

Just returned from the millenium oyoun hotel and must say i was pleasantly suprised by the quality of the hotel.
The rooms were very clean and spacious and cleaned every day.
The hotel pool is of a lovely design but not heated so unless you like a very cold pool in feb it's not much use. The beach is nice but you have to enter from the pontoon so you dont walk on the coral as this not allowed.
The food was fine with plenty of choice and was always well presented and was better than i expected after reading earlier reviews.
The main downside to the hotel was the guests which were mainly Russian or Poles very few english and in the end the Russians really took over the restaurant and the bar areas.
If you tip the staff they look after you really well and all in all it,s a good hotel and a nice stay.

Fabulous

by TripAdvisor Member Troonies

We booked this hotel last minute to celebrate xmas and new year and my 50th somewhere different. I found the hotel to be of an excellent standard - cleanliness was amazing, the rooms exceptional - very large and spacious as were the bathrooms, the staff efficient helpful and with good language skills. The food was varied and we always found something we liked - this is hard with two teenagers but they liked to try different things. We heard a lot about Russians being rude and aggressive and yes they were there but the majority were ok. The only downside at this time of year was that the pools were freezing but the beach more than made up for this. The entertainment at night was dire but we just went further afield and enjoyed the nightlife in Naama Bay. La Pacha nightclub was superb if a little expensive and cold. We are returning to the same hotel in the summer and can't wait to go back. A lot is written about tummy upsets - we took a large supply of antibac handwash - essential after handling the money which is where most of the upset tummies come from not the food. We went horseriding in the desert which was an experience in itself and I am going back to learn how to ride these Arabian horses correctly (Mohammed Ali has promised me I can do this in 3-5 days). Quad biking is a must and hopefully we will even try the scuba diving this time. All in all a 5 star holiday and one we will never forget for all the right reasons.

Terrible!! Avoid it if you can

by TripAdvisor Member lisa004

Me and my boyfriend stayed here over new year and its wasnt very good. When we arrived at 5o'clock in the morning there was noone to greet us or show us to our room. We had to go and find someone and then were told to wait. We did, for a further 50 mins! Not good when your exhausted.
The food was Ok but after only one day both me and my boyfriend were painfully ill. (We had avoided the ice and other things like that). We later discovered that most guests at the hotel had been equally ill although we didn't really have chance to ask as everyone was Russian.
The main problem we had with the hotel was the fact that thy tried to rip us off at every opportunity, they charged us for a bottle of champagne that we did not have on New Years eve and various other things that we also didnt not have. This was put on our bill that we had to clear before leaving for the airport. When I tried to say we hadnt had these items i was told i could not leave. When I asked to see the manager no one was available.
I would not trust this hotel and would advise you not to go.

Good Hotel - but attitude is dodgy

by TripAdvisor Member TimWUK13

The hotel is nicely laid out and is about a £5.00 taxi ride from the main hub of Naama bay.
The food in the hotel is designed for the all inclusive stayers and consequently is not good - not bad - but not good. The Italian restaurant on site was supposedly terrible and four people we spoke to had bad stomachs or a bad experiences. This in a week! Suggest avoiding.
The staff are pleasant enough, but the constant asking for tips from the catering staff is galling, the on site prices for average snacks and drinks is excessive - London prices.
It appears to be the culture to try and squeeze very last penny out of guests.
Top tip - do not book any trips with your welcoming committe - it's cheaper through the guys around the pool/hotel.
Do not pay more than £5 UK to get into Naama bay from the hotel.
No upset stomachs from either of the travellers on this trip.
The management at the hotel are OK, but again seem to condone the squeezing of cash, when complaining about the food and saying i didn't want it (on one day) they tried to charge me for something i hadn't had and then asked for a tip!
The haggling, tipping and general fleecing are fun to begin with, but it does become a bore at the end of one week. Sharm is very western but the harassment levels from shopkeepers and taxi sellers is trying. The Brits are not in the majority at this hotel - many eastern europeans - friendly enough. Not many kids at the hotel - which is good or bad depending on what you're after.
I do wonder how much cash the shopkeepers/restaurant owners would make if they let people browse.
I recommend the Lebanese restaurant in Naama bay and teh camel Bar (roof) - the Lebanese restaurant doesn't sell drinks but the staff will nip out and buy beer/wine for you to consume on site.

A very ill experience - moved hotel!!

by TripAdvisor Member lucy777

I stayed at this hotel with my boyfriend and we had a terrible experience. We were both extremely ill from the all inclusive food which resulted in me needing medical att and being on a drip for many hours! This was posibly the most ill i have been in my life!
The food was foul much of which was put out again and again for lunch and dinner but just in a different sauce. The alcohol tasted of petrol and was watered down! We ordered food to the room which was disgusting but they refused to remove it from our bill! Staff were quite helpful but did not seem to care that i was seriously ill from there food and took no responsibility!
We also witnessed a male gardener by the pool arousing himself over the women by the pool. This was a disgusting sight especially as children were by the pool!
You are contantly dombarded with men selling trips and quad bike rides which is very annoying when your trying to relax.
There is no where near the hotel to get food apart from a macdonalds which is a short taxi journey away!
Rude russians fill the place drinking enless pints and shouting!
We moved hotels after 4 days!!!
Do not go to this hotel!

Lucy
London

Not as bad as it is painted

by TripAdvisor Member GillyGillSussex

After reading the reviews from other travellers I was wondering if I had made a mistake. Upon arrival we were met with a welcome drink, the waiter appeared from nowhere with these drinks. Our luggage was taken to our room and the porter explained all about the air conditioning etc. Our first night in the restaurant was a bit of an eye opener with the amount of people in there. I am really fussy with regards to eating anything if I dont know what it is, however I had the chicken and it was fine. We were never hasseled for tips during our stay. The waiter "Ashmial" or smilie was excellent. Mohamad sahal "Foxy" the barman was another character who remembered our drinks every night and had them ready for us the moment we went into the bar. Beer is the only cold drink available, my wine was warm as are the mixers as they use bottles as opposed to a post mix.
Once I pointed out that I liked the lemonade in my vodka cold and sparkling I never had another warm drink. Two days into our stay I came down with the runs, Smilie the waiter advised me to drink "anais" tea, which is available in the restaurant and it worked, beware imodium does not work for some reason.
There is no entertainment at night and I didn't fancy Yoga or salsa dancing in the daytime heat of 40 degrees. The beach was two minutes from our room and sitting in the Red Sea was like sitting in a bath. There are a few things that this hotel needs to address regarding how they serve the drinks and how to organise the restaurant team to cope with the demand, but apart from that we had a lovely relaxing holiday, which as I work in the Hotel industry was just what I needed. This hotel in my opinion is probably a 3* as opposed to a 5*. Would I go back? Probably, but as this was our first visit to Egypt we would like to try other hotels

nice hotel ,

by TripAdvisor Member notts2

were put in this hotel as ors was not open enjoyed our stay 13days but a few problems with all inclusive, to say it was hot is to put it mildly but the hotel policy is you can only have water a cup at a time ,you are not allowed to fill any bottles or containers but you can buy bottles of water at the bar for 15 egyptian ponds each across the main road you can buy same bottle for 4egyptian but when we stayed at the coral sea resort in nov 07 just down the beach we were given 2 bottles at the bar free when ever we wanted them and advised to drink as much because of the heat that was in nov a big difference to june temperature especially if you have the runs but this told to reception to no avail.what they call the atrium cafe lower lobby is a make shift bar as you would have in your house 1 person serving as well as bar in same area across to buy ice cream and also coffee so if he is selling ice cram you will have to wait for a drink, the other bar soweto bar is only all incusive 10pm - 12pm with ltd drinks, the bar in the buffet restuarant 7pm-10pm so if you want to sit and have a drink these are your three megre options . on the beach there is a bar 10am -5pm but only ltd drinks no snacks so if like me you like to have day on beach tou have trail back long way to buffet restaurant . must say food very good ,hot and well displayed, but the big no no is the all inclusive had a lot lot better especially the water situation.

not 5 star but not the worst....

by TripAdvisor Member LadyBoxerScotland

Was pleasantly surprised after arriving very late at night and having read previous reviews, the room was nice and just a short distance from the pool and the beach.
Was soon disappointed when i realised that 90% of the other guests were Polish or Russian who on the whole were rude, arrogant and pushy.
We didnt opt for All-Inclusive, and im so glad we didnt, we tried the food for one night and its disgusting, After meeting the only other set of British guests at the hotel, we discovered that the All-Inclusive food was pretty much the same every night.
Entertainment was terrible, a loud 80's style disco set in a small area of the gardens, same music/songs every night also... could hear it from our room..... Agadoo.... etc
Room was cleaned every day, fresh towels but bathroom always had a suspicious smell of leaky drains.
All in all, holiday was good, extremely hot in August though, in fact it was too hot! Pool was a welcome relief in the afternoon, although a put-off was the previously mentioned Polish couples getting a bit too inappropriate and over-friendly in the pool in front of children.
In my opinion, id never call this a 5 star hotel so dont expect it to be. But by no means the worst.

Not A Hotel To Take Your Family To

by TripAdvisor Member dave041

Nine of us booked to stay at the Tropicana but they had over booked so they stuck us in the millenium which seems to be used as an overflow for English guests from the tropicana.
This hotel is focused on the Russian and Polish travellers we were nine out of twelve English at this hotel.
The food and entetainment are awful,the entertainment are spoken in Russian so my children were bored silly as they didnt understand a word, luckely it only lasts for one hour each night.
six of us contracted salmanela and were very ill,all the food is the same every day Beef in gravy with Rice.Only certain bars were all inclusive ice creams are not in the all inclusive either.
My wife booked a facial and was sexually asaulted by the man that was doing it we were told that the Polish women liked that sort of thing and no offense was ment we explained that we were mad and the tourist police were called in.The hotel was clean and is situated in lovely garden settings on the beach but that is the only nice things.
We are taking the Travel agent to court as when we complained they offered us forty pounds as a form of conpensation.
If you are going to book this hotel be sure to pack immodium as you are going to need it and plenty of snacks and toys for your children as they will be bored.

Warm water and clearWarm water and clear

Picassofish in the clear blue waterPicassofish in the clear blue water

Local brandyLocal brandy

Kodak shop Old Market, brilliantKodak shop Old Market, brilliant

Vaccinations

by Jue22

we are visiting sharm el sheikh in July and have been told we need various jabs before we go eg hepatitus A, Polio, Tetanus, Typhoid but when I booked the travel agent said there were no jabs required to go here. Can anyone shead more light on this please.

by travelmad478

There are no vaccinations *required* to visit Sharm, but you should certainly have updated vaccinations for Hep A/B, tetanus, and polio if you're planning to travel anywhere at all (and with the possible exception of polio vaccine, "travel" includes going down the road to the pub). It's just a smart thing to do.

by al2401

Yes, you should have your vaccinations for Hepatitis A/B, Tetanus and Polio up to date whether you travel away or not. I also keep my Typhoid vaccination up to date as well for travel as it is a food borne disease. Hepatits immunity is long term, Tetanus and Polio about ten years and Typhoid needs a booster about every three years. So once you are 'done' you only have to worry about the special needs for your destination.

by GrumpyDiver

Asking your travel agent for medical advice is a little like asking your doctor for travel advice. If you want medcal advice, ask your doctor. Even better ask one that has a knowledge of travel medicine.

I generally have all my vaccinations up to date, regardless. Tetanus, as an example, should be kept up to date even if you are not travelling. HEP A is certainly a risk in any developing country.

by NilePrincess

As the first poster said, none are *required*, but the ones listed are recommended. I will admit to traveling to Egypt the first three times with no shots at all and I was perfectly fine, but the more I read up on it I decided to get them as a precaution. You never know what can happen.

Comments