Calimera Moderna Beach

Nabq Bay, (formerly Royal Albatros Moderna), Sharm El-Sheikh, South Sinai, Egypt
Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm el-Sheikh
Agoda.com Travelocity Booking.com

Rated 14% higher but also costs 192% more than other 3 star hotels

More about Calimera Moderna Beach

Not Five Star!!

Having just returned from a week at Calimera Royal Moderna. I thought I would report back my own experience. Firstly I have to say that this is NOT five star. If you want full on luxury, service, cleanliness and food. Then you will be dissappointed. I would give this hotel a rating of three star. I base this on the following; Although when this complex was built I imagine it was a show piece. I'm afraid it's become a little fraid around the edges. The food, although very well presented and ediable. Lacked imagination and the "wow" effect. Myself and my family suffered from the upset tummy bug which just would not go away (in fact my son and I are still having problems back home 36 hours after) I'm not sure if this is a food/water problem,or the filthy state of the poolside. In my own defence, we all took great care when teeth cleaning etc. to only use bottled water and did not eat outsde of the complex. We spoke to may other Brits who also suffered tummy problems and also agread that the star rating was wrong. I believe the problem to be the pool..It never smelt of chlorine or water treatments and was not washed down around the edges all week. It therefore seems logical to say that any bug getting into the pool could quickly muliply in the heat.
Having been rather damming of the place I would like to finish on a high note;
The staff were fantastic. they work very long hours and ALWAYS smile and greet you (thats something that you can't say about the German and Russian guests)
There is one member of staff that is truley the brightest star. He works in the pool bar (at night we called it the Blue bar, due to the lighting) everyone calls him Thomas. He's very attentive, always laughing, fantastic with the kids and when I told him I had tummy trouble he gave me a herble tea which took away the cramps. Keep up the good work Thomas, You restore my faith in the human race..

Absolutely loved the place

by TripAdvisor Member alison35

My husband and i have just returned from the Calimera Moderna hotel and we absoultely loved the place. One review that i have read states that everyone in the hotel had experienced a stomach bug. The truth of the matter is that almost everyone who visits Egypt will experience some kind of stomach bug or other. It is the change of climate etc. The staff in the hotel could not have been more friendlier- they are hard working people who work up to 16 hours a day. One thing that did get on my nerves were the moaning British people who just had a go about everything, and also they had the gall not to tip any of the staff. I will definately be returning to the Calimera in the near future

Superb Winter Destination

by TripAdvisor Member Atlanticspirit

Before I review the hotel, I would like to say that thanks to previous contributors on this site I saved money on 2 occasions. My wife and I had no intentions of travelling on any excursions, so on arrival at the airport our landing card was stamped accordingly and we passed straight through customs whilst other travellers were paying £11 for their visas. On entering the arrivals hall you are confronted with a mass of holiday reps, all suggesting strongly that you use their transfer buses. We had not taken the transfer option at booking, and again, as a result of advice on this site, we ventured outside to be greeted by a further mass, this time taxi drivers. We were initially told it would cost us £30 sterling to go to the Calimera, so we just walked off, only to be stopped 2 - 3 times by other drivers and the price coming down all the time. i told them from the outset that i would pay £4 sterling and the third driver accepted - i tipped him another £1! Let me say that I would not have attempted this had I not read it on here first, and whilst you may think me a little stingy, they fill their cars up with fuel for £4!!
The hotel is not 5 star that's for sure - but it is still a great place to stay, and without doubt what it may lack in quality is made up by the staff, all of whom are so welcoming and friendly. The food is served in a buffet style, and whatever your tastes there will be some combination to suit you. The rooms are kept spotlessly clean, and towels are changed every day if you require. We really enjoyed our holiday here, and intend to return next year, but this time for 2 weeks

Youll love it !!!!!

if you are looking for a great holiday and hotel look no further. we have been in some grotty hotels tired and worn so we was over the moon when we was given a spotless room two double beds and spacious with plenty of cupboard space. the food was great plenty to choose from even for the picky eaters, with burgers chips and other things to eat at the beach bar,salad and fruit galore which is all washed in filtered water which is why none of us out a party of 8 was ill. couldnt believe how hot is was late 80s somedays low 90s and back in uk it was snowing with manchester airport grounded for a day. vodka, beer, wine soft drinks sprite, pepsi drank bottled water and ate there ice cream everything was great. really enjoyed it dont believe in going back to same place twice but would definatley go back here. also i couldnt believe it when we had to be at reception at 4.45am for a pyramid excursion when there was an army of cleaners everywere which is great for the holiday maker but i did feel sorry for some of them and did tip when i could they are great people and will do anything for you,they earn £30 a month and work very long hours. anyway book this hotel i guarante you wont be dissapointed. also do the snorkling you will want to do it everyday angel fish, nemos unbelievable. happy holidays.

Perfect holiday

This hotel was perfect in everyway for a relaxing holiday. The food was spot on lots of choice for every taste.The deserts were fantastic .Be prepared to weigh more when you come home as you could eat all day and night! or so it seemed.

The staff and all Egyptians we met were very friendly.

Tea and coffee making facilities in the bedroom along with a tin of mosquito spray. (First holiday abroad that I wasn't bitten).The hairdryer came in handy too!Beach towels provided every day (no having to fight for sunloungers)

Security was paramount every time I went to my bedroom there was a security guard in sight.

I would go here again BRILLIANT!!

Can not wait to go back to this wonderful place

by TripAdvisor Member homecare

I have just returned from a seven night stay at the When we arrived it was night time and i wondered where the taxi driver was taking us, we seemed to be leaving all the bright lights behind and heading for no man's land.
When we arrived at the hotel,we were greeted by the man on the front desk who showed us to a comfy seating area. We just sat there for 10mins whilst they booked us in. We were then shown to our room, our cases went before us and they were already inside our room when we got there.The room was large, clean and bright, I was a little worried as there were 3 adults sharing one room, but we had plenty of space. The view from our balcony was beutiful.
The meals were wonderful especially the pasta station. The fresh bread and pastries that were on offer every day had to be seen to be beleived.
All the staff at the hotel was so very attentive and could not do enough for you.
The beach is lovely, you have to walk out quite abit before the sea becomes deep enough for you to swim in, but it is the clearest water I have ever seen and I have visited most islands in the carribean.
We booked a day out on the boat trip, there were 2 to choose from, we would recommend the trip that takes you to the blue lagoon,we enjoyed it that much that we booked the other boat trip a couple of days later.
The staff on board were good fun, the boat was like new, and the food on board was great.All it cost for a full day was £20 well worth it just for the snorkling, we saw wonderful coral and lots of large fish.
The hotel runs a shuttle bus into the main town if you want to go in at night time. you are picked up from the hotel at 8pm and picked back up at 11.30pm. The only down side if any is that the bath water is brown. The entertainment in the hotel was poor. The beech towels that were supplied were clean but grey looking and it takes about 40 mins by shuttle to get in to the town. All in all a great holiday, I would rate this hotel 4 star
Please e-mail me if you require any more info
Diane

Going back next year!

by TripAdvisor Member rm2006

I can not say enough good things about this hotel. It was superbly clean, the staff were on the whole very friendly and helpful and the facilities second to none. If I had to come up with one criticism it would be that the guy who seemed to be in charge of reception was a little surly but saying that I probably would be too if I worked the hours that he did! The food was excellent, loads to choose from and all fresh and the hot food was hot rather than lukewarm which can be a problem sometimes in buffet style restaurants. There were omelette stations at breakfast as well as a vast hot and cold buffet and cereals, pastries etc. The only people we found who couldn’t find anything they liked were by their own admission junk food junkies who wouldn’t try anything that was slightly different. We never had a problem getting served our all inclusive drinks and could even ask for bottles of water, diet coke or lemonade at the pool or beach bar which were handed over quite readily. The beach bar was great at lunchtimes and if you fancied a change from the buffet style you could order pizzas, hot and cold sandwiches etc made to order between 12pm and 3pm. There is a bottle of water left in the fridge everyday by the cleaner which is great so you always have water for brushing teeth etc. Our room had two double beds, loads of hanging space and a huge ensuite bathroom with shower over bath. The pools are great, you could always get a sunbed at one of them and they were well spaced out. We spent most days at the beach though where we also always managed to get sunbeds. We snorkelled off the pier everyday and also ventured out further into the surf where you swim out about 20 feet over an amazing coral reef which then disappears like a cliff face to a depth of (apparently) 80 metres. You could float on the water and look through the snorkel into the deep sea where there were tons of fish and on one occasion we watched a dolphin swimming – amazing. There is a second beach which is easier snorkelling as you don’t have to wade out and the fish her were great too, we saw 3 lion fish, parrot fish and clown fish (nemos) too!
The hotel has a shuttle bus to take you to Naama Bay at night which costs £2 return which is great and gives you 3 hours or so to explore. We stayed out later one night and got a blue and white taxi back (an experience!) which cost £5 for the 25 minute (approx. 17km) journey. If you like your nightlife go to Naama Bay and visit Pacha which has a great Retro night on a Saturday. We also had a meal out at Hard Rock Café which was good, we also went in several times just for drinks as there was a great atmosphere. Another friendly and relaxed bar is Camel Bar which also shows many football matches. All bars we went in took sterling and was actually better value than Egyptian pounds so don’t waste time and money changing currency. You don’t need much money as all inclusive really does mean all inclusive at this hotel and even going out four times in Naama Bay, one meal at Hard Rock and buying a few souvenirs etc we only spent £150 in a week! We took £300 in £10 notes and were glad we hadn’t bothered changing money or getting travellers cheques. Security is tight both at the hotel and Naama Bay but this just makes you feel safe rather than uncomfortable. Armed guards everywhere and roadblocks checking vehicles but they are all very friendly to tourists. Back to hotel, we were never once hassled for tips and in fact hardly tipped all week and left it til the end of the week to tip our favourite staff well, including one particular gardener who had been very friendly and did a great job looking after the area our room was in. The fact that we didn’t tip each time we got a drink etc didn’t effect the quality of the service we received and I would suggest that this is a better way to do it. To sum things up we are already looking to book to go back next year but this time for two weeks and that I think says it all! Any questions, post on the forum!

fanbloodytastic

by TripAdvisor Member pidgeeno

can i just say what a fantastic hotel and a fantastic place ..i would advise anyone to visit sharm and stay at this hotel ..mega holiday ,will be going back next year 110% defo ..karl.macclesfield cheshire

What great value!!

by TripAdvisor Member carrieg82

Just returned from a week here.
Ok, this is not 5 * but at £320 for a weeks all inclusive what do you expect. I would certainly rate it alongside all of the 4* European hotels I have stayed in though.
THE HOTEL: is vast, in fact so big we kept finding new bits! It has a smallish pool, a large 'non- active' pool which is ideal for someone like me who to be frank, can't be bothered with all the daytime activities, and an ENORMOUS activity pool. it has a large reception/lobby, ampitheatre, nightclub, 6 bars, 4 restaurants, beach, gym (which is actually pretty good even by british standards), pool room, hasheesh room, shops.......!
THE ROOMS: Were large, airy, well air conditioned and immaculate. The cleaner puts water in the mini bar each day for you. Bed was nice and firm, decent storage and hangers.
The FOOD: I am a fairly picky vegetarian (although I do eat fish). I'd say the food was pretty good. A fair variety and all was fresh and hot (in the case of the hot food obviously). There were plenty of salads and what I really enjoyed was the LACK of chips everyday!! Fantastic array of pastries at breakfast. Lots of dessert choice.
THE STAFF: Very friendly. Not at all lecherous. They do work very hard and all seem educated. Even the pool man and cleaners speak 4 languages well.
CLEANLINESS: The whole place was constantly being cleaned!
DIVNG: Wow! snorkelling is fab. Forget scuba!
ENTERTAINMENT: daytime was ram packed with activity. To be honest the night time stuff was pretty naff but actually quite funny!
AL INCLUSIVE: the local wine/beer is fine (white wine really). Also bottled mineral water and 7up/ pepsi
I did not suffer from any stomach problems, nor did my partner, and we used tap water for teeth brushing! I wonder whether it may be the sea water as oppose pool water which causes problems though?
HINTS: Don't bother with any currency, they like sterling. Don't pay for a visa unless you are going out of sharm. Have a massage!! £10 for about 25 minutes. I know my back and she found the problems straight away! bliss, on the beach!

I really would recommend this hotel to anyone. Cost us less all inclusive than anywhere else half board!

Sharm

"Red Sea"

"GOLD................(Naama Bay)"

"Calimera Albatros"

Very nice hotel.

"with Animation team (Calimera hotel)"

"Calimera Albatros 5* hotel"

Royal Albatros Moderna

by josalest

We are going to the Royal Albatros Moderna next week.
My kids want to find Nemo, where should we go? Can we find him by snorkeling from the hotel beach?

Re: Royal Albatros Moderna

by vickie26

Hi just recently returned from sharm with my family and the snorkelling just off the beach was amazing, just like swimming in a tropical fish tank, clown fish are around but you have to look really close into the annema's for them, the water is deep but my 7 year old son soon got used to it and really enjoyed the snorkelling, also we booked a day trip to the tiran islands which was great and very organised for children, you go out to 3 coral reefs to snorkell and they have safety first in mind, they have a water taxi which is a large float with handles that the children hold on to and the guide pulls them along so they can just relax and enjoy whats beneath them, we saw dolphins, green turtles and bulga whale it was just pure heaven, anyway hope u have a lovely time.

by swisssinai

Sorry but Nemo lives in Nuweiba

by vickie26

well im sorry we were on an organised snorkelling trip to the tiran islands and we found clown fish there and managed to capture some on film using an underwater camera

by swisssinai

Maybe so - but bet none were called Nemo. Did you ask their names ? lol

Royal Albatros Moderna

by josalest

Hi Folks

We know that the Royal Albatros has only been open for about eight-nine months and have been watching everyones comments on this area hoping for some helpful information. We are going out on the 25th July with two children aged 9 and 11. We are really looking forward to your recommendations on what to do and see. We have heard that the snorkeling is fab. Is it worth buying snorkels and masks before going out there or is it cheap enough to buy in Sharm?

Re: Royal Albatros Moderna

by GEOMAC

all airlines have cut the baggage limits,so with 2 children your weights will be very near the limit,
we were in sharm 3/4 weeks ago,the face mask and snorkel cost us 40 egypt pounds about £3.80 sterling
not great quality,but it`s only snorkelling,2 sets should do the 4 of you,flippers were about £5.00 sterling ;if there are currents were you swim get flippers;
we gave ours to a family when we were leaving,and asked them when they had finished to give them to someone else,you might even get them(they were green ha,ha)you will have a great time,beware of the heat,

Anybody been to :Royal Albatros Moderna Resort?

by vijomamo

Hi,
We go over there in august 2005, i just want to know several things about the hotel:
How is the food,drinks and the animation (wich language is the animation?). Can you take ice in your drinks without being sick? We have booked an all inclusive and we are from belgium (2 adults and 2 children(twin boys) from 8 years old)
Can you give tips in euros? What is the temperature there in august during the day and during the night? Are there enough sunchairs on the swimming pools.
Is the animationshow in the evening inside or outside? Do you have a refrigirator with drinks on the rooms?
I hope somebody can give me some answers on these questions already thanx in advance.

Kind regards,
Mark

RE: Anybody been to :Royal Albatros Moderna Resort?

by magino88

the resort is great ,.,.,..donna worry

food and drinks as any five star hotel around the world ,,

ice is ok,, u will not be sick ,, sure of that

Temp in August in morning is around 35% centigrade at night is around 20% centigrade

of course Sharm hotels are a classy ones,, so donna worry about the sun chairs and towels even

animation show in any hotel is great ,, most of the instructors from Russia , italy, Egyptian ,, and theu can speak arabic, french, english, german

animation takes place around the swimming pool and sea shore in the morning

of course refrigirator are available in the rooms

enjoy ur stay
take care

RE: RE: Anybody been to :Royal Albatros Moderna Resort?

by vijomamo