Grand Plaza Resort

Costs 33% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

More about Grand Plaza Resort

Security, security everywhere

by Cynthia_marie about Grand Hotel

At every resort, there are security guards everywhere you look. This is a photo of just one at the entrance to our hotel. There were about 4 standing outside the front doors. They keep the locals out. Also, this hotel shares it facilities (beach/pools/ etc) with the hotel across the street; The Grand Plaza Resort. Both hotels are very nice.

I know when we go back in Dec/Jan, we will stay at the same hotel. Above anything else, the grounds at our hotel were well-kept and very clean. You see men working around the clock watering the Palm trees (that's right, they water the trees by hand with a simple garden hose). Also, they are constantly sweeping the marble walkways and polishing the step railings. And they get paid next to nothing.

Early to bed

by TripAdvisor Member RedcarWanderer

In general, the standards applied at the hotel fell far short of what we have come to expect from Thomas Cook **** rating (Official Rating *****). Also, we feel the description “All Inclusive” to be at best inaccurate, at worst positively misleading.
With particular regard to the “all Inclusive” Aspect, upon arrival we were given a letter detailing the facilities available to us. This indicated availability of pool bars Nino and Luna 10.00 am until 11.00 pm. also, Layalina Café from after sunset until 11.00 pm.
It will be appreciated that after sunset the temperature falls sharply therefore making the pool bars less of an option for evening socializing. This left the Layalina Café as the only feasible option for all inclusive socializing during the evening. The letter did not mention that this bar was indeed exposed to the elements having only a slatted roof and ill fitting doors, extremely cold in the evening. The ONLY indoor bar available in the evening, i.e. the Lobby Bar was excluded from the all inclusive package. The Disco Bar did not open until 11.00pm so was effectively excluded also. The Luna pool Bar was quite close to our room so we planned to take a pre dinner drink back to the room. We found this bar to be closed after 5.00 pm on the several occasions we tried it.
The total lack of any indoor facility for as much as a cup of tea or coffee, would appear to make a mockery of the “all inclusive” description and we approached the Representative who advised us to fill in the Customer Relations Report which we duly did. The rep. reported back to us several times that things would be sorted out by his manager and the hotel management, there was no evidence of any progress.
Matters came to a head some nine days into the holiday when it rained, not only were the all inclusive facilities cold but wet as well. A number of guests including us, approached the hotel management via Reception. After some discussion, it was agreed that the Disco Bar would be opened to us until 11.00 pm. We felt this a reasonable compromise and it solved the problem for that evening and the following one. During the following couple of days, Oil filled radiators were installed in the Layalina Café, also two television sets and a music system. However, the absence of any roof, ensured that the heaters just were not effective as heat just dissipated. The very best description that could be applied to the facilities available to us would be perhaps “Part Inclusive”
With regard to the * rating, the rooms were of quite a high standard and kept nice and clean.
The food could only be described as mediocre at best. It was poor choice, repetitive, poorly cooked and quite often cold. Several guests suffered stomach upsets including myself. Cutlery in the restaurants seemed to be at a premium as you were expected to use the same knife and fork for all courses. No teaspoons. At breakfast there was interminal queues for omellettes and fried eggs but only one cook to prepare them. He also had to cook pancakes.
Away from the restaurants, drinks were served in plastic or cardboard cups. The Layalina Café did serve in glasses of varying sizes which were very poorly washed, simply run under the lukewarm tap and wiped with the same cloth all the time. If at any time guests wished to take a drink of coffee or wine etc. from the restaurant to the lobby area (for indoor warmth), they were expected to use the plastic or cardboard cups. The other option of sitting in the restaurant for drinks after finishing our meals was frowned upon. Evening entertainment for British guests was non existent.
In our opinion, the poor facilities available were worthy of 3 stars at the very best.

just arrived back on the 28th after one week at the grand plaza

by TripAdvisor Member thegreggs

we booked this holiday as a last min deal with thomas cook and after reading reviews on it i had very mixed feelings about going so tried to change resort, but there was no way they were going to do that .
so we went anyway with the thought of staying in this place that had been given such a bad name
so we we boarded possibly the most cramped flight i've ever been on, just as well the people i sat next to were very nice
eventually arrived at resort after the system in the airport which is fun !!!!
we were welcome'd with a drink by one of the waiters while we were promptly checked in, our bags were taken to the rooms by the bell boys
got to our rooms which were sea view rooms very new ,very clean a few movie channels to watch so that was ok
having stayed in egypt before usually just going over on my own diving,this time i took my wife and 2 teeenage children,
the hotel in general was very clean, pool was clean beach area was ok the jetty was awesome for you to look at and snorkel with the fish ,(there is a remark on here about current in the area around the jetty but at the end of the day its the ocean of coarse there's current and even more so around a reef)
the bar staff were great from day one and as the week progressed they even had my drink ready for me when they saw me approaching the bar, i find a little tip goes a long way and they are vey greatfull for it
the buffet areas were a bit repetative as the days went by, but the waiters agan were very helpful they would put bread and fruit in ths table for us and also make sure we had drinks all the time
did venture down to naama bay a few times for dinner, gave the cab driver a dollar tip and he thought it was awesome
no problems with bad guts or toilet problems
REMEMBER ITS EGYPT you have to watch what you eat
so general overview the hotel resort is fine food could be better, staff were great and helpful
on day trips they made us breakfast boxes that were good
the only minus point is that the brits are the minority,but found the italians quiet funny in some ways ,and the russians seem to be aggresive but thats just their way, thier not really and as for them pushing in line at the bar and in the buffet its simple push them back out and tell them to wait like everyone else

Oh No Italiano

by TripAdvisor Member dapier

The Grand Plaza is a really nice hotel but very badly managed.
All inclusive facilities are very restrictive, there was only one bar which we christened the pigeon loft because it was perched above a flight of steps and only having a slatted roof was subject to the elements and unusually during our stay it rained and the bar was flooded, that night there was no all inclusive bar as the only other sheltered bar the lobby bar in the hotel was a 24hr pay bar, on several occasions the drinks in the pigeon loft were served in paper cups!!! After the first few nights complaining they actually put portable heaters and more tables and chairs in the pigeon loft prior to this there were only 9 tables.
The staff at the GP were excellent and would do anything for you Mohammed on the beach would get our loungers and towels every morning and as soon as he seen us coming would come over and re-arrange them towards the sun nothing was too much trouble.
There were two large restaurants serving the same menu for all meals and once again the service was excellent especially from Gamal the manager of the Palmera.
The food was plentiful and plenty of choice with an egg station for breakfast offering omellettes, fried eggs, boiled eggs and fresh pancakes. Drinks were plentiful in the restaurants.
There are also three a la carte restaurants Fish, Italian and Oriental, we tried the Italian and it was awful taking three hours to serve not particularly nice food but it wasn't very expensive so we laughed that one off.
The hotel is situated some way from Naarma Bay and the hotel taxis were £8 each way although there are the blue taxis at approx half the price but their driving leaves a lot to be desired.
The worst part of the holiday was the entertainment - there wasn't any, the animation team is Italian and only caters for Italians of which the hotel is 80% full of.
When we questioned the Animation as to why they did not include us in any daytime activities we were told that they didn't have to talk to us and only catered for the italians a young family with two young children told us they were turned away from the mini club because they weren't Italian.
The accomodation is excellent with spacious rooms with two large double beds in each and fresh towels every day.
Obverall we enjoyed our stay but do not use this hotel if you want a lively holiday or you enjoy strolling out at night or you do not like Italians.

Worst Holiday Ever

by TripAdvisor Member sandyrich

This has far and away been the worst holiday we have ever been on. The majority of guests here are Russians and Italians and the hotel is catered for them, if you are a Brit be prepared to be treated as second class and to be pushed in front of and barged out the way. The food in the canteen was awful and both my wife and I suffered from sickness and diarrhoea as did most of the other people we spoke to. All the entertainment is in Italian and Russian and the only free bars were either outside or in a drafty shed, If you want drinks from the comfort of the lobby bar you have to pay. The hotel has frequent and loud aircraft noise both day and night and from 7am til 8pm we were treated to banging and clanking from the building site next door. Fancy relaxing by the pool? Forget it. If the building and aircraft noise isn't enough you get treated to a two hour exercise class in Italian belting out over the PA system and in between you can look forward to being constantly harrassed by people trying to get you to go on diving or boat trips or nagging you to have massage/spa/haircut/shave/nails/treatments/etc. If you fancy a nice stroll in the evening you can forget that too, Nabq is currently a resort under construction so all you get is a dusty, dirty and dangerous main road and building sites, if you do venture to the shops be prepared to be harrassed and make sure you check your change!! I could go on but if you've got this far you get the picture and if you still decide to go here you have been warned and you have my sympathy. Big thank-you to Thomas Cook for ruining what was supposed to be a holiday of a life time!!

Echo of all the already written bad reports

by TripAdvisor Member colpro

Having read all the bad reports about this hotel I can not tell you anything different but what i will say is they are all absolutely accurate. This hotel would struggle to make 3 star status anywhere else in the world but boasts a comical & wholly inaccurate 5 star status. The Luna bar (pigeon loft) is staffed by rude locals who are more interested in watching football on the TV, chatting up the Russian girls & selling wine by the bottle to the Russian guys. The Bar is cold, dindgy, un-welcoming & not the type of place you would want to spend an evening on holiday. The main restaurant is at best a convenience cafe providing some of the worst food (joke) i have ever been expected to consume (my dog would have fainted if I gave it to him). The all inclusive package is so basic & un-inclusive & obviously structured to force you into extra expenditure to suppliment the shockingly bad food & drink. When requesting such exotic extras such as diet coke, an earl gray tea bag or the facility to drink in a warm well light bar we were treated with rudeness, derission & refused. In public areas staff were generally polite but there was always an undercurrent of sleeze especially toward women. The hotel deffinately caters for the russian clientel, who are rude, offensive, ill mannered & loud mouthed as ambasadors of their country they leave a very poor impression & i hope that I never have the displeasure of mixing with them again. One Ukrainian told me that he was insulted to be called a turnip farmer by a russian (sorry mate your not that clever) the Russian should know. As for the italians - well the in-house entertainment team speak for the nation everyone a clown (& not in the funny sense).
In conclusion we came here for some well earned rest & winter sun, we did not expect much & thats exactlly what we got.

had a good time

by TripAdvisor Member maryWork

After returning from The Grand Plaza last Sunday I can only say What do some people want? Ok, the Brits are in the minority at this hotel and for the 4 times I have stayed in Sharm that applies in most of the hotels. Why don't some people leave the hotel for entertainment (are they scared of having to open their wallets). The hotel arranged 2 buses in the evenings for a return cost of £6 approx. We used this facility with no problem and who wants to stay locked in the hotel for their holidays.
The food was average in the main restaurant but pretty good in the bbq bar and the fish restaurant was superb. OK, you had to pay for this meal but what's a few £'s for enjoyment.
The staff were very helpful and friendly you just have to chat to them and they then remember you each mealtime.
For the price we paid we found it good value for money.

worst hotel in the world

by TripAdvisor Member kristinus

This is the worst hotel I have ever been to. the food is terrible, I was so sick for most of my holiday. The staff ignore you, are rude. I would never suggest anyone stay here.

What's the problem

by TripAdvisor Member dancingauditor

14 Feb to 21 Feb 08

I was really worried about going to this hotel after reading the reviews before I went. I needn't have worried!

The food was great - I had three huge meals every day. Yes, I didn't go for the fish on the bone but there was so many other choices you can't go wrong. I agree it's not your British Steak and Chips or Traditional English Breakfast. But if you want this don't go to EGYPT! Stay at home or go to Blackpool!

The staff were great- you just had to make the effort! I learnt to say thenk you in Arabic which seemed to impress all the staff and made me lots of friends amoungst them.

My room was always cleaned to an imaculate standard. Yes the wine was terrible but the beer was ok - if not always as cold as I would have liked! There seemed to be a good selection of spirits, they're just not my cup of tea!

As to the entertainment - well yes it was more set up for the Italians but what's wrong with creating your own. There are shops just outside the resot - 5 mins walk. The hotel does a shuttle bus to Naamba bay for 32 egyptian pounds. I didn't go but that would have made another night out. Not that I was struggling to keep myself entertained. I spent one brilliant night talking to the Russians. Not bad as I only have a limited amount of Russian - Plaseeba (thank you) and Yavos Lublu ( I love you).

The rep was very helpful, especially as I went for the diving. Had two fantastic days diving. Again the Egyptians I came into contact with were great - really friendly.

There really isn't a beech here, but from what I saw from the boat I was on while diving - most of the other hotels donn't have beeches either. The Grand Plaza had 3 pools of which one was heated to an extent it was like getting into a bath!!!!

I spent 7 days there and had a great time. I would recommend this hotel to anybody and from what I gleaned from other people I spoke to while there so would they. Our opinion was that those who have complained on this site would appear to be the sort of brit that goes on holiday wanting steak and chips to eat and bingo in the evening. If you're this sort of person - stay in the UK!!!

I went by myself and had a fantastic time. So go to Sharm and do use this hotel!! I would stay there again and I am going back!!!!!

Lovely hotel brilliant holiday

by TripAdvisor Member midgit

All i can say to the people who have given negative comments is rubbish you hotel snobs!!!!
This hotel was brilliant. i went with my brother mom dad and 11yr old nephew and we all enjoyed it. I am 24 yr old female and i never felt that i was at any risk at all i felt totally safe.
the food was lovely and there was always something you could find that you liked, all i can say there is if it is burgers and chips you want then dont go it is typically egyptian food, The waiting staff were excellent and worked very hard.
The rooms were lovely there were very big and cleaned daily to a high standard, and the staff were very friendly and trustworthy. i left many items on display and nothing was touched i even left money and when i returned to my room it was still there. so reports that say any different ignore it is totally RUBBISH.,
I found the staff polite and helpful as did the rest of my family. yes you do get staff offering different thigs round the pool but just say no if you dont want it, they do often stop and chat to you this is just them being friendly nothing more.
One thing that many people have got right is the russians they are the rudist people i have ever meet in my life and i have travelled. they will push you out the way all i can say on that is give them a good push back they seem to understand that,
on the subject of the runs(toilet wise) i never suffered at all with that totally the oppisite the biggest cause of diorroeah on hoilday is not drinking enough so drink plenty of fliuds and you should be ok.
over all a brilliant hoilday and i would highly recommed you visit the pyramids they are brilliant. the guide we had was 10 star want he did not know was not worth knowing.
hotel well worth the money

SHARM GRAND PLAZA RESORT - Pls help!!!

by holidee2010

booked here for oct just wondering for anyone whos been what snacks were avail throughout the day on AI? toasties, burgers, chips, pizzas, or things like that? or even in the evening? my boyfriend eats like a 5 year old and just wondered whether anything would suit him? we were looking at eating out most nights anyway, ( mostly as we got it so cheap and my boyfriends eating habits!) but just wondered what else was on offer also is there things relativly english on the breakfast front? beans sausage, eggs etc? sorry to ask so many questions! thank u :)

Re: SHARM GRAND PLAZA RESORT - Pls help!!!

by sunsearcher

Haven't been to this hotel but have done AI in 5 different hotels. Not a big difference between any of them.
Don't try to eat British. At lunch time you can get dressed (if you're on the beach) and go into the restaurant ( i never did) or have chips, and snacks (usually recycled from the restaurant)at the pool bars - far from exciting and not very appetizing.
Breakfast offers all kinds of bread, salad, egyptian cheese, and sliced egyptian "luncheon meat" eggs come in all forms, there is always a chef who cooks them to order at the buffet, you can choose what he puts in the omelettes.Lots of sweet buns and patisseries. Fruit squashes are always served on AI, if you want freshly squeezed orange, it's 1-1.50 euros extra! Always a choice of different meats and fish in the evening and the choice of veg, potatoes and pasta + salads is more than adequate.
I've often heard of people complaining about the limited choice of AI but i've never had reason to complain, except for the limited choice of fresh fruit -the food is different, accept it and enjoy not having to cook and wash up, if your boyfriend is like a 5 yr old, there's always a Happy Meal at McDo's.
Bon Voyage.

Re: SHARM GRAND PLAZA RESORT - Pls help!!!

by sunsearcher

Oh, and of course there's cereal for breakfast.......

Comments