City Council St, Hadabat Ras Um El Sid, Sharm El Sheikh, PO 312, Egypt

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 59% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• pickle05's Profile Photo

Ocean Club Hotel

We stayed in this 3* hotel as part of Explorers and it's used mainly as a diving hotel.

We got a really good deal on the package so to be honest we weren't expecting that much from the hotel as we knew it would be basic.

So the rooms were really basic but clean, the hotel itself was nice with 2 good swimming pools. Breakfast was included which was fine, we opted for eggs on toast from the buffet every day, but there were the usual breakfast options available. We found out on the last day, however, that we could have asked the chefs to cook anything and they would have obliged!

The hotel is based in Ras um Sid, so we needed to get taxis everywhere. There is a free shuttle bus that runs to the sister hotel in Naama Bay though.

Directions: Next to Ocean College Diving

More about Ocean Club Hotel

Basic accomodation. Fantastic atmosphere

by TripAdvisor Member redseafreak

Stayed at the Ocean Club from 14th October for one week.

I read all the reviews on this site and have to admit I pretty much agree with all of them.

I was travelling on my own for 5 days worth of diving with Ocean College (On site).

I can honestly say that this ranked amongst the best holidays I have ever had. I have never travelled on my own before and was somewhat nervous about the whole thing, however, within minutes (yes - minutes) of arriving at the hotel I had made friends.

This is a very popular hotel for single divers as the dive centre is on site and the hotel offers low single supplements.

In addition the Dive centre will generally place people from the same hotel onto the same dive boat, which makes it easy to get to know the people you're diving with.

The hotel was quite basic in most areas, although the staff more than made up for this. I have been to Egypt many times, staying in hotels with a much "better" star rating and have never found a more friendly and genuine group of hotel staff than here.

Breakfast was actually really good - choice of hot and cold meals - as much as you can eat.

Bar meals were fab - although the food generally took ages to cook (over an hour in some cases) - so make sure you order it before you get really hungry.

Took the courtesy bus (5LE (50p) return) into Naama bay and ate out most nights.

My main gripes were :-

Lots of flies - need to invest in some Mozzy spray.
No safety deposit box in your room. Have to rent it at the front desk.

The best bits:-

Real "community" feel to the place. Everyone really friendly and all made to feel really welcome.
Staff were excellent and amongst the best I've met in Egypt. No one making obvious moves for tips.

Would I come again - In a heart beat! Fantastic hotel - great all round package.

Good but not great

by TripAdvisor Member kungfu45

For the first time ever I travelled as a single, diving booked, kit packed, hotel chosen.
Ocean Club were do we start.

Great for single travellers, good bar, good dive centre on site, good bus service.
Food is very average from hotel.
Breafast is very good though, more than enough for the hungery diver.
The bar next door (T2) has a limited choice of fair but having tried them all during my stay I can confirm they are all good.

The rooms are very basic at hotel, the A/C was very noisy, and there was a problem with insects and bites.

You either suffered from lack of sleep due to noise from a/c or got bitten to death from insects.

Also be very careful with changing money at the front desk, one night when in a rush changed £20 and received £2 egyptian back didn't check fully as in a rush, only found out when in Naama Bay having drunk quite alot and had no money to pay.

(Lots of talking later i was driven to Ocean Club by the bar, so as to settle the bill, and didn't end up as camel food),

Never the less Guy on front desk denied all knowledge of con he carried out, again check your money carefully in front of staff on desk, or use other money exchanges.

On the rooms, clean, basic, showers were good, bed ok, cleaned daily sort off, generally Ok for the Money.

Location is not great, bus service is very good though, Naama bay is OK, Old Sharm is better for a more relaxing night out.

Never pay more than £20 Egyptian for a taxi from Naama, and £10 from Old Sharm, and have correct money no change given, if they ask for more just walk off.

Overall Ocean Club is good value for the money, would stay again if travelling on my own, would go to Luna Sharm next door if with Wife.

Utter crud

by TripAdvisor Member Sealo

Food = terrible
Staff = try to fleece you at every turn (much like rest of Sinai population)
Location = ok, but watch out for Egyptians trying to rip you off outside the hotel
Pool = good
Rooms = basic
Service of staff = 'service? what's that?' non-existent you'd be better off serving and waiting on yourself.

Dive centre next door is excellent though and there's a very cheap bus service to get you to Naama Bay, it's about 50p English.

As for taxis don't pay more than 20LE (£2 English) if they disagree walk to the next one - there are thousands.

Honest opinion

by TripAdvisor Member nicka36

I whole heartedly disagree with the previous review. People with that kind of attitude should never travel abroad. The egyptians are the friendliest people I've ever met on my travels. Yes, it can take a bit of getting used to all the bartering but that's the culture. Just offer half the price or say no thanks and you're left alone. Remeber these people are very poor and even the police only get paid £50 a week. The hotel rooms are very basic and could do with some modernisation but this is a budget hotel and i've stayed in much worse. The complex and the pool areas are very nice, with the roof top bar a great place to chill at night. I thought the food was very good, the breakfast kept you going all day and the mongolian barbecue was a personal favourite. If you're on a bugdet or are a diver looking for somewhere cheap to crash then I'd recommend it. If you're looking for a bit of luxury in the sun then look elsewhere,

A nice place

by TripAdvisor Member rene_555

A simple and basic hotel. Like the fact you have your own little "building/appartment" its a nice touch i think.

Pool is nice. Not spectacular but for the price you pay for the hotel its expected. Air-con was super!!!
Funky little pool side bar which turns to the roof top bar in the evenings, which is a nice little place to have a chat and drink with freinds on the big floppy cushions!
Staff are great and welcomed us very much so. Shuttle bus is great too! Drops into sharm where you can have a wander round and taste a bit of the culture... though keep an eye out for convincing shops/resturants owners! there are many different types of cuisine to sample around sharm.

Nice stay! recommended for above budget but below extravagence.

fantastic value for money

by TripAdvisor Member kitsoncat

I booked through explorers and had a fab trip. Got 4 days free diving thrown into the package paying £290 for the week (2-9th dec). Ask when you're booking if they have free dives or courses avaliable. NB. You have to pay 25 euros a day equipment hire for free dives still. The hotel is fine. The pools are clean, the staff are pleasant enough. I travelled there on my own and made friends by the time I'd checked in. The only way to do that it to have a natter with people...there's nothing organised or anything.
We went for a fantastic meal at a place called Fares in old sharm. £10gbp for 3 course meal. I think the Camel bar is over rated but still a reasonable night out.
Oh, the free bus into town isn't free, you have to buy a return ticket for 5 egyptian pound (50p).
I will definatly be returning. Don't know how anyone can complain about the place for the price!

Great value for divers and sunseekers

by TripAdvisor Member JennyFBristol_UK

Four of us from our dive club stayed for a week's diving holiday. We thought it was excellent value for money. Staff were very helpful eg we reported a faulty electrical socket in our room and within half an hour two electricians arrived and changed it so we could use our laptop. Clean sheets and towels every day, rooms cleaned efficiently.

Breakfast was a buffet with a wide range of food - fresh fruit salad, yoghurt, cornflakes, scrambled egg, saute potatoes, sausage, toast, cold meats, salad, nice light sweet pastries, tea and coffee all available. We didn't try the hotel restaurant in the evening because we went out to Old Sharm where you can get traditional cheap Egyptian food, pitta with beans and salad, or Na'ama bay which has all sorts of restaurants - Indian, Italian, you can find something to suit most people.

We were out diving all day mostly but on the last day I relaxed at the hotel which has two clean good sized swimming pools and plenty of sunbeds, with a convenient poolside bar serving snacks, chips, and fruit juice as well as drinks.

The hotel is not by the beach but has a shuttle bus to Na'ama or taxis cost about 2GBP (20Egyptian) depending on what you agree with the driver. The bus also takes you to the boats if you are diving with the adjacent Ocean College. We found the diving efficiently arranged and dived some excellent sites, notably Straits of Tiran and Ras Mohamed National Park.

All in all we enjoyed this and though it was a good value holiday. If you want total luxury in a beachside location it may be better to pay more and go to one of the upmarket hotels by the beach in Na'ama, but Ocean Club is clean and comfortable with friendly helpful staff.

Not as bad as sujested

by TripAdvisor Member pins-parasols

I would just like to say that the staff were very good. The rooms were a bit basic but OK for 3 star. There was a fair selection for breakfast and as much as you could eat. We were on Half board and the evening menue had plenty to choose from. The pool water was cold but clean.This was very good value at £200/£250 for a week but was not worth the full list price.
One thing I must point out is the fact that it is NO where near the beach or Naamba Bay but there is a courtesey bus which you have to pay for. Would I go again? Yes. Good base for divers but not for children or beach lovers

Get real, people!

by TripAdvisor Member Sydwal

Some reviewers seem to want to pay 2 / 3 star prices and get 5 star service and facilities - it doesn't happen, guys! In a nutshell - if you're a diver this hotel fits the bill. If not, go somewhere else unless you really are on a budget.

Wife and I booked with Explorers (now owned by Thomson) and we paid £229 each for a week. This included 4 days of free diving so we couldn't go wrong really, considering that the cheapest flight was about the same price.

Location is up at Ram Um Sid which at time of writing is like a huge building site - so much development going on, though this didn't directly affect us. Naama Bay is about 4Km away which is a plus or a minus depending on your point of view. Personally we felt it's a drawback as it's an extra bit of hassle to contend with. If you don't like the wonderfully tacky Naama then you won't mind.

Rooms seemed clean and tidy. Towels changed every day if you wanted. Beds made every day and the bedding was clean. Plumbing is definitely suspect. Others complained of skin-searing showers but ours was tepid for 2 days and we had to complain twice before it was sorted. We had no reverse air-con in the room but others did (yes it's cold in January!).

Staff were reasonably friendly but the guests usually have to make the effort here to instigate the initial 'what's your name' approach. After you've done that, they open up a lot more. I was chatting to Abdul in the Phoenix Bar about footie for a good half hour! Another barman, Shariff, is also a really nice guy and apparently learned to speak passable English in just 6 months!

The rooftop Phoenix Bar is modelled on the Camel Bar and they've almost pulled it off. Nice atmosphere but music choice (as opposed toCamel) is well off at times - we had a medley of football songs after I spoke to Abdul, including 'Vindaloo' :-). Reasonable prices except for spirits but that's the same throughout Egypt. The bar staff were friendly with us but others complained about having to check their change carefully and were ripped off a few times. Maybe the staff would be reluctant to do so if you've made friends with them, I don't know. We encountered quite a few surly Brits who unfortunately spoke to the staff like dirt. I'm pleased to say they were in the minority. Our change was always spot on so maybe the motto is 'be nice - but still check your change'!

Too cold for the pool and didn't use the poolside bar so can't comment.

Breakfast - well, it's Egypt and they always get it wrong don't they? They actually ran out of cups day after day and didn't seem to want to correct the problem. We were down at 7 each morning so this didn't affect us. Poached eggs and omelettes can be requested and are recommended. Poor choice of cereals (well you could only have cornflakes!). Fresh fruit and yoghurt was nice.

We didn't eat at all at the hotel in the evenings but we spoke to others who did and they wouldn't do so again. One guy said the curry was horrific.

Shuttle bus is regular into Naama Bay and will set you back just 50p. Last one back is 10pm though so be careful. Rooftop Camel Bar is a must (they have heaters in January) and the Camel Tandoori is a revelation - absolutely outstanding.

So we can definitely recommend the hotel if you're a diver and you're not paying too much. If you or your significant other isn't a diver you may want to go the extra mile and book somewhere like the Naama Bay Hotel - also available through Explorers - which has better facilities and location but still won't cost as much as the super-luxury resort hotels.

by della_1

Oh i forgot to ask! We are staying at the Ocean Club Hotel in Ras um Sid. I've heard a few reviews about this hotel some haven't been great. I am a little worried. Has anyone stayed here? And if so could you let me know what we should expect?

Lots of thanks

Della

RE: Ocean Club Hotel

by mr.small

Though I have never stayed there the hotel has a good reputation in Sharm.The only down side is its location.It is up in the Ras um sid area of Sharm and site back from the sea a little way.Because of this it does not have its own beach but will share one with another hotel,maybe one of the same chain.Not a big deal,more of a minor grumble.You will also need a taxi or shuttle bus ride to get to the centre of Sharm.Try this for the right taxi prices....

Comments