4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 24% less than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• luckiday's Profile Photo

Renaissance Sharm El Sheikh

Hi, I have been to Sharm twice. The first time was Renaissance Golden View Beach Hotel, and yes it is a really lovely hotel. The second we tried the Iberotel, (right across the road, we didn't know that until we arrived) because we wanted an all inclusive. I've got to say after staying at Renaissance, it was disappointing. It was a nice enough hotel, but I don't think anything in Sharm beats the Renaissance.

I've done a lot of research on the hotels in Sharm and the Reef Oasis Beach Resort Hotel has lots of good reviews. However, the food at this hotel is very poor, which is a common factor in all inclusive hotels in Sharm. Someone I know has just come back from there, and said the hotel was lovely but the food was terrible.

Please also be warned, all inclusive in Sharm does not mean that when it comes to drinks. I was charged £7 for a small shot of Baileys the last time we went.

If you want my honest opinion, you wont beat the Renaissance. Even the best hotels in Sharm serve slop for food in the an inclusive hotels, so paying for it keeps them on their toes a little.

But if you are dead set on an all inclusive then the Reef Oasis Beach Resort Hotel is a nice hotel, but the food is much to be desired.

I hope this helps. If I can help further, drop me an email! :O)

• 4 hours to find but worth it!

This is known as the MARRIOTT to all sharm taxi drivers hence it taking 4 hours and 3 different hotels to get there!! Hotel beautifully designed, very clean, good service and great food variation. Only downfall is lots and lots of steps especially if you were near the pool next to the beach like us. Many a time we nearly fainted on the way to breakfast as it was 40 degrees when we were there!! You will find that the restaurant next door at the hilton is fab and loads cheaper than those at the renaissance. We hated the hassle at Narma bay so staying and eating every night at this hotel ended up very expensive. If you ever get any problems find Sammi, he wizzes round on one of those buggies and he can get you pretty much anything you need - including ear drops for infections!! There is a place called Fantasia up the road where there is a crocodile show - please dont go to see this show and give this place any money, the crocodiles are squashed together and very poorly looked after, so cruel it needs shutting down.

Unique Quality: I would recommend the massage, but dont go if you mind being massaged by a man! Papa Joes was by far the best restaurant serving fajitas, steaks etc .

Directions: Furthest hotel left when you exit the airport.

• luckiday's Profile Photo

Renaissance Sharm El Sheikh

This is a really lovely hotel, which there is very little to fault. We had a family suite/room which was very clean, comprising of 2 rooms, with 2 satellite TV's. The kitchen has no tools, i.e kettle ect, you will need to ask for these at reception. It was one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. It is well situated for some great snorkeling. It also offers a gym, sauna and children's club. If I had to say something negative about this hotel it would be the food. It is OK but that's as far as it goes. You will not go hungry, but you will get bored of seeing the same dishes day in and day out. I would give this hotel 8.5 out of 10 or possibly 9 out of 10.

• JuliaF's Profile Photo

5* Luxury in Sharm

We stayed at the Renaissance Golden View last Easter (2005). We stayed on a half board basis. The rooms were lovely. Bungalow style, very spacious, light and airy, with stylish interior sand air conditioning. We had a terrace which was nice to sit and have a drink there in the early evening. There are several pools, one which is heated ('at the Managers discretion!' - needless to say, it wasn't heated when we were there). Like all hotels in Sharm, there isn't a beach as such, but a manmade one, which was lovely for sunbathing as a nice breeze comes off the sea, but you couldn't build sand castles on it. The hotel offers free beach towels.

The hotel itself was exceptially clean, and the service was second to none. All of the staff in the hotel were very polite and extremely helpful. Breakfast was really good, a buffet type with a variety of different things to tuck into, and omletes and pancakes made by the Chef while you wait - yummy! We only ate dinner in the hotel once, which was OK, but very expensive, as were the drinks in the hotel. Much better to get a 10 minute Taxi ride (very cheap) to Naama Bay, where there are a great selection of Restaurants.

The hotel ground have quite alot of steps, and so wouldn't be ideal for the less mobile, but there are also sloping walkways to get around the hotel , so if you couldn't manage the steps, you could still get to where you needed to be (for a Childs buggy etc).

I would definately recommend this hotel to anyone. Clean, Luxurious with very friendly and helpful staff.

Unique Quality: There are wonderful views of the Sea from the beach and of the gardens there. There is also a jetty which you need to walk across to gain acess to the sea, which prevents damage to the coral. The snorkelling was FANTASTIC. Just sitting on the edge with your feet dangling in the water, you could see loads of coloured fish.

• Getting there...

The first you see of this hotel after walking along the palm-tree lined path is the main lobby and reception area, so this is where I shall commence my review and description. The entrance to this hotel is grand and ornate…floors are covered with quality polished marble, railings and banisters are polished brass – everything is on a grand scale and temperature controlled to perfection, with light piano based music setting the tone in the background.
    Exiting the main building, the upper swimming pool, terrace area and Rotunda Bar are found – which has excellent views over the resort and sea below, partitioned with the waterfall that reaches to the Aqua Bar near the beachfront.
    Rooms are large and spacious; with quality furnishings adorning the marble flooring that covers the entire suite – including the large, well-equipped bathroom, which has separate sunken bath and double shower with glass cubicle. Plenty of storage space is available – and the room safe is contained within the main wardrobe. Large patio doors with both a mosquito net and total-blackout cotton curtains lead onto the balcony, most rooms having a decent view of the sea below. We found the air conditioning system to be a lifesaver on many an occasion and the easy to operate controls enable efficient temperature regulation of the room.
    As with all hotels there is no such thing as perfection, and the Renaissance is no exception. Despite this being a pretty new hotel, there are areas where maintenance is required – such as the odd broken step, the gardens not quite as well tended as they should be etc. In my opinion, and a view shared with some well-travelled friends we met, the issue appears to be that of a lack of overall supervision in the form of senior management…what it essentially boils down to is attention to detail, its aspects like these that make the difference between 4 and 5 stars.

Directions: Fanar Street - nearest the beach.

More about Renaissance Sharm El Sheikh

Sharm El Sheikh for diving

by VivienneC about Renaissance Golden View

Stayed there in July with my husband just two days after the bombing. This is a beautiful hotel, slightly shabby in places with broken or mismatched tiles which is a shame because it is lovely. The terraces are not real, but man made. The only access into the sea is by a floating jetty which is a bit dodgy when the waves are high! The sea at the end of the jetty is at the end of the reef and is very deep. The food is pretty good.

My girl friend and I went out in September and I decided to learn to dive. The diving school Dive In is excellent. I am fat, in my 50's and am not the fittest person in the world, but I completed the PADI open water course in 4 days which was HARD slogging. If you are going to do it I thoroughly advise you to get the book and learn the theory BEFORE you go, because I was getting up at 5.30 a.m. just to study. It is a very solid course, and my Italian instructor was brilliant - Matteo - and I am delighted I did it.

The hotel is situated out of Naama Bay which to me was a great bonus, but it doesn't have a great night life, the evening entertainment was dismal ! However, returning guests get an upgrade to a suite if one is available, at no extra charge. I also found out that if you arrive and decide you would like a suite, you can do a deal with the desk for upgrade.

The Cyber Cafe is pretty expensive and I had to muck out the mice before using the computers otherwise you waste a lot of time trying to make the mouse work. Reef - uncrowded
If you are facing the sea in your room get up early to watch the dive boats go past. Also look out for dolphins which I saw.

Nice hotel, friendly staff and would definatley return

by TripAdvisor Member JaninePaprota

I stayed at the Renaissance Golden View from 1st May 05 for 2 weeks and had a great time. The rooms were very clean and spacious, everyday the cleaner was in changing towels and cleaning the room. Staff was friendly and always willing to help. Service was a bit slow, but we found that this was the same everywhere we went, it must be the way things are here. The hotel grounds were nice and all the swimming pools were kept in good condition and very clean. I was half board and we ate the buffet breakfast and dinner. We never found any faults with the food at all. The breakfasts were lovely. Especially the freshly cooked waffles. The dinners seemed to be a lot of chicken and other meats and rice, potatoes etc so if you love burgers and chips then your best to stay B&B. The hotel did have many steps from the beach to the main reception but it isn't as bad as some of these reports have said. Me and my boyfriend managed to walk them several times a day without any trouble. Although it wouldn't suit the elderley or disabled I would say. I work in travel and so have been to many top hotels such as sandals and Riu and I felt this hotel was excellent value for money. The only fault was there wasn't much entertainment but Naama Bay was only a short taxi ride away. I will definatley be returning as Sharm itself was a wonderful holiday destination. Try Little Buddha in Naama Bay for a good meal and Hard Rock Cafe. Camel Bar is the place to meet other English holiday makers. We also tried the el fanara beach party down the road to the hotel on a weds night which was very good and la dolce vita on the friday night. Both worth going to if you like to party. I was advised to take US dollars with me but found that taxis wouldn't accept these so your far better off to take Egyptian pounds. The hotel was overall peaceful and relaxing and I would definatley recommend it.

great hotel, great value, would go back

by TripAdvisor Member sarahmacsarah

Have been back a couple of weeks now after a week at the RGV - 24/4/05 to 1/5/05

The airport was a nightmare - the luggage took 2 hours to come through after luggage for tourists who hadn't yet come through customs had blocked (literally) two of the carousels - CHAOS. (The return trip was just as bad - queue after queue after queue)

However, were then met by lovely reps who got us to the hotel for about 8pm where we ordered room service and unpacked. The room was great - clean, good view out to the sea, lovely en suite, telly, LAN connection, electronic safe and minibar. We had no complaints at all about the room and it was cleaned well with fresh towels put out every day.

We were fairly high up the terrace (the accomodation is terraced so that there are only ever two stories to a building and most first floor and some ground floor rooms have sea views) and had to walk up and down several flights of steps to and from the pools and the beach, but this would not be a challenge to anyone who is moderately fit - we're middle aged and I never go to the gym and didn't find it a problem unlike a previous reviewer.

There are several pool and bar areas and beach like terrace areas which were all well maintained and clean and with plenty of sunbeds so we were never at a loss for somewhere to settle down and relax. There was also enough space so that you didn't feel crowded in by other tourists. Both the "beach terrace" and pool areas were very relaxing.

There was no beach area to speak of only a couple of small coves with sun loungers, but you could snorkel directly out from these over the coral or take the jetty out past the coral if you wanted to swim or explore the coral reef (definitely worth it). On the first day the wind was quite strong and I struggled (I'm not a strong swimmer) but on the other days with no wind there was virtually no current or tide and I found it easy to float around for hours without getting into difficulty. We saw loads of wonderful fish and every time we went in we saw something new - fantastic!!!!

The snorkelling was remarkable and certainly the high point of our holiday. We did take a morning trip to the Ras Mohammed national park but to be honest the coral and fish at the two protected sites we visited was no better than that which we saw off the beach at the hotel so I wouldn't bother with that trip - they also tried to jazz up the trip with various stops in the desert that were terminally boring - there is nothing to see!!!! Don't waste your time - it's all on your doorstep at this hotel.

The only downside was that some of the cruising boats come in quite close to the reef - so you wouldn't want to swim out further than 20 feet from the reef and even then keep an eye out. There was one occasion when a boat came in about 10 feet from the jetty despite everyone's shouts (there were divers about to come up!).

We really couldn't fault the hotel - it was very well laid out, nicely landscaped and the food was good. Yes it was a bit tired around the edges, but with thousands of people passing through weekly it would be! Probably 4 star not 5 star, but certainly very good value for money.

Security was very tight - you have to pass through a metal detector (like at the airport) when you leave and arrive and bags are regularly checked. There are also guards at the exits down by the beach and plenty of security staff patrolling the grounds at night. While we were there there was an attack on tourists in Cairo so we were glad that we didn't opt for that trip!

The staff are very friendly and happy to oblige and appreciate a small tip here and there. Service is not what you'd call dynamic but everything is done with a smile which makes up for any slight delays.

All in all a great hotel - I'd certainly go back and have no complaints. It lives up to the positive feedback. Pedants may be disappointed but I suspect they'd be disappointed if they weren't disappointed.

perfect winter destination

I stayed at this hotel from 31st march for one week. The hotel is not a true 5 star. I took my parents who for their age are very fit and sprightly, however from reception to their room were 78 steps. You end up going up steps to come down steps, nowhere in any brochure did we read that this hotel is a resort of steps. The hotel pool near reception is very quite and calm with a fantastic buffet for lunch only problem there are not enough parasols by the pool. The pool by the beach with the swim up bar has the cd Blue playing non stop I can now sing every word form every song on their album! Acapulco Joes the pool bar has a very nice menu and I can recommend the BBQ chicken. Last year I stayed in Hurghada and found it better value. Sharm is far more touristy and therefore more expensive. The hotel is not near the centre and therefore you have to take taxis to get to Town. I have travelled a lot and always use taxis, they are always a nightmare but this has got to be the worst experience ever so BEWARE. In the hotel reception is a Budget car rental desk, they also arrange private car taxis, which were no more expensive so use them. The jetty was fantastic, although the beach is tiered so again more steps. As with my experience last year the Egyptians are fantastic people and they will literally do anything to help. I would return to this hotel again.

Good value

by TripAdvisor Member Kitbit

We are just back from a week at the Renaissance. For the price the hotel is good value, more of a four star than a five though. We did not any problems with the steps but the brochures should make it clear that it is not suitable for people with mobility problems. The hotel being on different levels made the grounds and gardens look nice although there are a few broken paving stones etc and some lights out that should have lit the steps. On booking we requested a double rather than twin and balcony rather than terrace and this is exactly what we got. The rooms were nice and clean with everything in working order. We did get a bit of dirty water coming out of the hot tap for a few seconds (this was also the case in the public toilets in reception), so we learnt to let the tap run for a few seconds before using it. The hot water is VERY hot but they are mixer taps so always turn on some cold water at the same time.

We used the pool at Acapulco Joes as this was nearest to our room. The pool boy gave us towels straight away and a small tip ensured that he placed our towels on the same sunbeds every day. We did not stay on the beach at all but just had a walk along the jetty. You can see all sorts of fish just by looking over the edge but I didn't fancy going in as there were a lot of jelly fish. The staff from the dive centre came up to the pool some days to give people a free try at diving - just swimming round the pool once but it gives you an idea if you want to try diving properly.

The breakfasts were plentiful and kept us going until late afternoon. The service is not too speedy but this seemed to be the case everywhere. We ate the international buffet one night which was just as plentiful as the breakfasts. We also ate at Zinzina's for lunch and at Acapulco Joe's mexican. The menu is not very large but what we had was good.

We also ate out at El Fanars next door to the hotel and at the Hilton Waterfalls next door the other way. We had quite a snooty waiter at the Hilton as we hadn't booked, even though the restuarant was half empty. Also my boyfriend was ill the day after which may or may not be connected to the fish he had. We went to the dinner and show at Fantasia - the food was good but the show is poor and we had to eat in a nearly empty restaurant which they rushed us through as they were expecting a coach party of egyptians at 9pm.

All in all a good relaxing holiday. I would return to Sharm again but I think I might try a different hotel as there are a lot of nice ones to choose from. I suspect that in a few years the area of Ras Um Al Said Hill will be a mass of hotels as there are a lot of building sites around (no trouble from building noise though)

Renaissance Golden View Beach Resort

by Valleyboy2

Hi
Could you please tell me the name of the Dive school situated near this hotel,
I would like to do my Padi open water when on holiday there

Thanks