Royal Plaza Hotel

Royal Plaza.........Terrible

by TripAdvisor Member rounrtrip

ROYAL PLAZA HOTEL TERRIBLE HOTEL NOT 4 TO 5 STAR

October 12th 2006

Stayed at the Royal Plaza for two weeks we stayed half board which i thought we could'nt go to wrong as it stated 5 star we got there and it turned out to be more like a 2 star.
The food was terrible every night honestly im not that fussy but having to eat stone cold food, hard vegtables no clean glasses at breakfast we had a very bad stomach after eating a couple of nights and when we spoke to other guest they we're exactly the same.
We had to eat out every other night which adds up to a lot when we've payed for half board.
It was clean enough sheets we're cleaned everyday that was about it would'nt recomend it to anyone very poor!

The resort Sharm EL Shake was brill i would go back without a doubt and it was very reasonable to eat out thank goodness.

Hated every minute at this hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Woolton

I have stayed in many 5 star hotels during my years of extensive travel, and this is not a 5 star hotel. In my opinion I would say at best it is a 3 star hotel. The staff are quite friendly but their cleanliness leaves alot to be desired. The rooms are spacious and the beds are comfortable, but they are by no means as clean as one would expect for a 5 star hotel. The food is awful, we paid for half board, but ate out every evening. They state that the hotel's beach is a 4 minute bus journey away, I would say it is more like 15 minutes away - and the beach is awful, a very thin stretch of sand, with a main road behind it. I paid to go into the Hilton beach resort everyday, because their beach was fantastic. They quote for this hotel that they have various restaurants on site, all I could find was a roof top bar. I was very very disappointed - and would never go back to this hotel again. I have also informed many friends to do the same.

Best ever Holiday!

by TripAdvisor Member carolinexx

First impressions of the hotel was amazing with marble decor.
My room was large and spacious, the cleaners do an excellent job and occasionally leave a small gift using towels it's really clever!
I went half-board but the evening meals need to be worked on, I didnt enjoy dinner at all it was the same most nights and tasteless. The breakfast is better with familar choices which was alright. The food I'd say was the let down for this hotel which makes it a 3-4* if the food was improved.
The hotel are 2 pools, i didn't go to the downstairs pool but what i saw of it is nice. I spent alot of my time on the roof pool, the pool is clean and of a fair size. Its ideal to grab the sun and the sun lasts til it sets, so sun worshippers it Brill!!

The staff in the hotel are friendly and nice enough, the recreation staff upstairs are friendly & cool and chat away to you 'Hi guys'
Downstairs there are 3 shops of which one is an excursion shop run by two guys EDDY & MOHAMMAD! These guy are amazing and funny really great people, everytime we went downstairs they'd welcome you in for a chat! The trips sold were absolutley the highlight of my Holiday and made it an excellent experience, Thanks guys keep up the good work!

I would return to this hotel if the food improved but also for the excursion shop to see the guys again for a laugh and more amazing experiences!!!

Great for the price!

by TripAdvisor Member Howay

I stayed in this hotel for 7 nights up until the 19th October. I would say that although this hotel is most definatley not a 5* hotel as would be expec6ted it does offer a comfortable stay for the price paid.

The hotel room was quite large with comfortable beds. The wash stuff offered by the hotel was however distinctly 1* in fragrence, so take your own!

The people working in the Hotel were very friendly and were always on hand to help you when you needed it.

The food in the hotel was ok. My advice would be to go down for dinner early as the food quickly gets cold otherwise. It appeared as though a greater effort was made when the restaurant was moved upstairs to the roof top, so I would recomend dining at these times.

All in all an enjoyable stay

Nowhere near a five star

by TripAdvisor Member GrahamHx

My wife and I booked a week at this hotel from 22/10/06. This was our second visit to Sharm so knew that we would be ripped off at the airport. We settled on 100 Egyptian pounds for the trip into Sharm (like the return journey it should have been 60, but you will never get it). We arrived at the hotel, which is in quite a good location, at around 6.30pm and shown to our room, which, in fact, turned out to be a suite! The large rooms were well appointed, although the bathroom looked a bit tired. We went to the roof restaurant and then the fun started, as it did at each mealtime. This was mainly because, although the hotel is an upper 3 star for accommodation, it has the infrastructure of a 2 Star. There were often not enough plates, cutlery, glasses or even tables and queues at the buffet table were long. One particular evening, guests were eating their meal whilst standing and using an ornamental wall as a table. The staff were fairly good although they argued with each other quite regularly. The food was not brilliant and there was never any fruit available, although there was melon available at breakfast 5 days out of seven. For two days there was no butter available and so rolls and toast had to be eaten dry. We struggled with breakfast everyday but only with 3 evening meals, preferring to eat out which is cheap. We were not too upset as we only paid £128 for both of us for the week. In summary, stay at this hotel but regard it as just B&B and you will have a great time.
The hotel do not have an area on the main beach but bus you to an inlet some 15 mins away, which is not that good. As an alternative, visit the VIVA beach (opposite the diving centre) where you can get a sunbed for the day for 25LE (£2.50) each.

NOT a 5 star, food & location bad, but staff helpful

by TripAdvisor Member billieteacup

This hotel is located on a busy main road, not near the beach end of the naama bay resort. We were put into a 2 bed suite as we were travelling as a family of four. The rooms were very large and comfortable.

As with other reviews,the food was not particularly good and despite paying for half board, we ate out most nights. The description of this hotel is false - beware. There is only ONE restaurant although some nights the food is served on the rooftop terrace - but there is no choice of restaurants. On the description I had (and what I based my decision to book on) was that they had 5 restaurants including a seafood, Russian and Italian restaurant. THESE DO NOT EXIST!!!!!!

Also, there is a description given that there is a shopping plaza/mall within the hotel. This means there is a bookshop and a giftshop. There are a few retail outlets at the front of the hotel, but they are all empty.

Despite other reviews, I found the beach to be perfectly adequate. It is a 15 min ride on the courtesy bus, and the buses run every half hour or so. It was a very good beach for the children, gently shelving into the sea and we got sunbeds directly by the water so we could watch our children.

We booked a trip with the Dreams safari people in the hotel and paid about £50 for 2 adults and 2 children for a day trip to Ras Mohammed on a boat snorkelling. This included free soft drinks, lunch and 2 stops for snorkelling. I think if we booked elsewhere, you can get it for cheaper. However, it was the best day of our holiday and we met some great people and the kids really enjoyed it. Don't worry if you are not a strong swimmer, you can hire the float jackets to help you.

There are two redeeming features of this hotel:

1. The location, (although not great for sleeping if you are at the front of the hotel) is good for access to the shops, bars and restaurants which are only 5 mins walk away.
2. The staff are incredibly friendly and couldn't do enough for us. they always said hello and remembered our names and the service was fantastic.

I wouldn't stay at the hotel again as I feel there are other better placed hotels with better facilities for the same price, although we are definitely coming back to Sharm.

Excuse me, have you any butter..plates...tables...drinks?

by TripAdvisor Member Hazel-Rochdale

My husband and I took our two boys 12 and 17 to this hotel for 11 days 21st October - 1st November 2006. The rooms were great and the appearance of the hotel especially Reception, was fairly impressive. The problems started when we hit the roof-top restaurant for the evening meal. The quality and the range of food was not good. You had to queue for over 20 minutes to get to anything and by the time you had returned to your table it was cold. The waiters were far too busy to ask what drinks you required and some of our meals were finished with no drink at all. We therefore eat out for 7 of the 11 evenings. Breakfast was more acceptable, however there was still a lack of service, no plates, no butter, there was cups but no saucers!

When I asked the waiters for butter they replied “No Butter” so dry bread it was. You don’t expect this services from a 5 star hotel. They advertise a beach party (bring your bikini) around the roof top pool on Tuesday evenings. We were sat on our own at the bar and nothing happened, the sign was still up a week later and others tried to attend the following week! The pools were great, no struggle for sun beds and they were very comfortable. The staff on the whole were friendly, especially the bar staff. The hotels beach is a good 15 minute drive away on the hotel bus.

This beach is not as nice as the beaches on Naama Bay and we went on Viva Beach for £2.50 per person per day, this is really nice. The snorkelling trip, the quad biking and the water park were great fun and overall we had a fantastic holiday. The hotel is definitely cheap enough but don’t expect 5 star it’s about a three. If you choose the B&B option you will not be disappointed, there are plenty of eating places in Naama Bay (really reasonable). Another tip, there is a back entrance to this hotel that walks you straight into the centre without having to do the sandy un-even walk from the front of the hotel. Watch those taxi’s they will try and rip you off! Got a taxi for 4 and three large cases to the airport for 40 Egyptian (£4.). Don’t pay anymore. Most of the wine is absolutely undrinkable, I have been home for 5 days now and still suffering that Egyptian tummy though!
Sharm El Sheikh is one great place.

Never a 5 Star

by TripAdvisor Member NabqJock

This was our 4th visit this year to Sharm El Sheikh so we know what a wonderful place Sharm is and what it has to offer tourists to this area.
It is unfortunate that the Royal Plaza does not reflect the delights one should expect from a ' 5 Star ' hotel in Sharm.
Like most people we met (6 different couples), all of us were unhappy with the standard of room initially allocated and we all requested a move. The rooms were in dire need of upgrade particularly the bathrooms. The rooms re-allocated were better but certainly not my idea of 5 star. One thing I can say is they were at least clean.
The food in this hotel I can only review based on one breakfast taken the first morning. The food was very poor quality, cold, there was a severe lack of cutlery and crockery and what was there was chipped or broken. Based on first impressions we therefore did not attempt dinner and ate out for the remainder of the trip. Subsequent discussions with fellow guests only confirmed the poor quality of the food and many people were eating out.
The facilities in this hotel from the pool areas, bars, food and in general, were lucky to be 3 star quality never mind 5 star. I believe that anyone staying here could well have there impression of Sharm El Sheikh tainted just because of a poor quality hotel.
I assume like ourselves people have picked this hotel due to its central location to Naama Bay, but I for one, would sacrifice the location to ensure I got a far better standard hotel.

My wife and I have stayed in 4 different hotels in Sharm, 3 of which have been outside the Naama Bay area and all I can say is that when they say they are 5 star they were in fact that.

Like the old saying ' you only get what you pay for' I would advise anyone to pay that few pounds extra and pick a good chain hotel for example Marriot, Hilton, Novotel, Renaissance etc,etc. It will ensure a luxurious experience at what I believe is a most luxurious and exotic location.

My wife and I enjoy Sharm El Sheikh so much we have just purchased a 2 bedroom apartment which we move into at Xmas.

Pick your hotel carefully and I can guarantee The Red Sea experience will keep you coming back year after year.

2 star pretending to be 5star

by TripAdvisor Member plysu

We arrived for a 5 star relaxing holiday,with my family.we had two rooms one was dangerous with two large gashes in a full lenght mirror and both had shody rooms and very dirty bathrooms.I asked to see other rooms three in total all very gruby.the four restaurants were only one outside,and buffet (very poor) .wine list was white,red,rose.
The corridors were dirty with broken glass in one that was still there the next day.
Piano bar had no snacks.and could only understand how to serve bottled beer.
We didn't dare try breakfast and moved out at great expence to a proper 4/5 star hotel .
I will never be fooled by a hotel saying it is 5 star when nothing short of a disaster.

Avoid Like The Plague

by TripAdvisor Member camperUk

With a name as 'Royal' and 5 stars you'd expect at least above average standard. Our first experience of the hotel was to be offered a 'garden view' room...it was next to a landfill site..probably where all the work men had thrown their rubbish after a hard days work. The air was stale in the room, and the curtains looked as if it hadn't been cleaned since the 1970s...

After about 2 hours of waiting in a smelly, grotty room we finally (after I complained at reception) got a new room - which was in all fairness much better, bigger and had a tiny patch of grass and pot plants outside.

The staff are not friendly, especially the bellboys. Breakfast was nowhere near the quality of Mariott Renaissance (where we had a FANTASTIC week long stay). Breakfast was served with dirty plates, which were chipped as well as not preparing enough food. Flies were constantly landing on the open buffet....the bad list goes on!

To top off our awful experience of this hotel, our mobile phone was stolen from the room!

Sippin strange tea under a beautiful desert sunsetSippin strange tea under a beautiful desert sunset

Picassofish: iniviatation to underwater worldPicassofish: iniviatation to underwater world

Camel, mountain and the blue sky with sandisDESERTCamel, mountain and the blue sky with sandisDESERT

man surfing on a dolphinman surfing on a dolphin

Royal Plaza Hotel

by EmmaP82

Hi,

I am staying at the Royal Plaza Hotel in September and don't know a lot about the place other than what it says on their website. Has anyone stayed there recently?

Of the three reviews I have read two have been quite bad. Does anyone know if it's true that there is building work going on in the Hotel?

Any info would be appreciated.

Emma

Maxim Plaza Hotel, Sharm

by iedwards1919

We have booked to go to the MAxim Plaza in Sharm in August. We went to Hilton Sharks Bay last year and loved it.
Has ANYBODY been to the Maxim Plaza and if so what can you tell me about it.
Many thanks
Ian

Re: Maxim Plaza Hotel, Sharm

by siso010

same like Hilton
enjoy it

Re: Maxim Plaza Hotel, Sharm

by walinali

hi,i am going here for one week AL on June 19th. also staying at the Amar Sina for one week, returning 3 July. I will e-mail u with all the info. GOOD AND BAD.
cherrio/walinali

Re: Re: Maxim Plaza Hotel, Sharm

by iedwards1919

Hope you enjoyed the holiday - I look forward to hearing from you
Ian

royal plaza

by tashbmouth21

Hi, my boyfriend and i are going to sharm on 26th may this year and we are staying at the royal plaza hotel. Has anyone been there? it is a new hotel. is anyone going at that time from england?

Comments