Taba Heights, Taba, Red Sea and Sinai, Egypt

El Wekala Golf Resort
Travelocity Expedia.com Despegar.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• shizzler's Profile Photo

Great hospitality and gorgeous hotel.

The 1st thing you notice on arrival is the quality of the hotel compared to many around Europe. The staff are the best i've ever met, and you're treated like royalty. The only other place that you'd get treated this way is on a cruise ship. The bar staff and waiters will remember your names and what you're drinking, and if they notice you're glass is near empty they'll come over with a new drink. The swimming pool was huge, lovely and cool to chill out in. They've got kids areas too and everything that a family would require. There are many bars and restaurants, including the Chez Pascal Al a carte. There's the main restaurant which does everything from nuggets and chips for the kids to rice dishes, meats and fish etc. with 20 plus meals per day. Some people moaned it's not like it is back home. They annoy me, they're not back home and shouldn't expect the same as in England. There's always an outside grill or bbq going too. Cocktail bars, nice local beer and pool tables, and there's also the pool and beach bars. In your room you'll find it spacious and the housekeepers will leave you swans rolled out of towels on your bed or flowers etc. Taba heights itself is reserved and lowkey but there's lots to do in the day. The hotel has people on site offering info on waterworld, PADI diving sites and excursions. The hotel is set on the hill, looking down over the golf course and towards the beach. You can just hop on the free shuttle bus to the beach every half hour.

Unique Quality: One of the greatest things about this hotel is the fact it's sat on the top of the hill, and if you look out of the back of the hotel you face huge sandy red coloured mountains. Looking out of th front, from the pool or restaurant area you look over the golf course, down towards the beach and over the other side of the sea, close enough to see cars moving on the other side are the lands of Israel, Jordan and Saudi Arabia. The hotel is a great village type place where it's not just in one big block and not very tastefull looking. It's set out like a village and you can take a good hour just exploring the grounds and coming across on site supermarkets, which are well stocked and very cheap, off license, souvenire shops etc. Next door to the hotel is a lovely Indian restaurant with big screens for the footy. In a typical day you could go down to the beach, do a spot of snorkelling in the red sea, around the various coral reefs, then get some lunch at the beach bar, then off to the waterworld to do some jet skiing or para sailing, then off to hotel for a dip in the pool. When at the hotel have a go at keeping fit in the gym, before going to the room for a shower and coming out in the evening for a good meal and sit watching the sunset, whilst eating your meal, looking out over the red sea, across to the shores of Saudi.

Directions: Taba heights is easy to find your way around as it's only home to about 5-6 hotels, El Wekala is the 1st hotel you will come to before descending down the hill.

• kid-keith's Profile Photo

Not quite got the location

The Three Corners Resort at Taba Heights is at a disadvantage to the other 3resorts here as it is situiated away from the beach and it`s a long walk down to the beach so you have to take the (free) shuttle bus down to there Beach club evertime you want to go to the beach, although the Three Corners has a lovely laid out complex it`s still no soperior to the other 3 resorts in the area, so for me this would be my last option in Taba Heights.

More about The Three Corners El Wekala

Very happy in El Wekala

We just came back (april 16th) of our one week stay in El Wekala. It was very good. The food was excellent as well as the service. The rooms were very clean and everyday we got new towels. The pool looked great, but we went to the beach every day. You can walk (20 minutes with beautiful view on the sea)or take the free shuttle. Very quiet at the beach and always enough sunbeds and there is also a pool with sunbeds. You can snorkel right of the beach. For us it gets an big 10 and we can recommend everyone who seeks no pubs, no entertainment and only be romantic and do some reading, sunbading and enjoy a good meal.
Excuses for the bad Englisch

Special diet? Avoid the El Wekala.

My wife and I seem to have visited a different hotel to the one reviewed previously! If almost constant loud pop music is your idea of a good holiday then this is for you.

We tried to explain our veganism to the catering staff and were openly ridiculed. An appeal to the relevant manager only resulted in being given a revolting 'joke' meal. Don't bother asking what food contains - you're on your own.

Taba Heights has been hermetically sealed by the hotels, the tour operators and Egyptian police. If you want to do something on your own initiative - don't come here. There's a transport café at the Esso station and a few workers' dwellings north of Waterworld, otherwise it's wall to wall tourism.

The best snorkelling is off the Hyatt jetty, which is actually very good but not very extensive. People so far seem to be respecting the coral, which is alive and diverse.

For a completely surreal experience, visit the Intercontinental Hotel (west of the Marriot). The architecture is thrillingly alienating.

What a fantastic place....!

by TripAdvisor Member longwalker

What a superb hotel and fantastic holiday.

Without reservation we would return to the El Wekala and Taba. Having a large family of 7 with 5 boys from 9 to 20 we found that the 3 Corners provided everything that we were looking for.

The staff were friendly and helpful even over the busy Easter period.The food was excellent with plenty of choice.Rooms were cleaned daily to a high standard..

The snorkelling off the beach was unbelievable.

We would like to thank Sharif, Amir and all of the staff for making our holiday such a memorable occasion.

Would go back

by TripAdvisor Member lisaSurrey

I stayed at the El Wekala with my boyfriend last july and we had a really lovely time, although i would advise taking a book as the resort is very quietn and advise looking at the best ime of year to go because when we went it hit 47o!!! which was a bit too hot!!!

I would agree that the food was pretty average and not much choice, but was very impressed by the reassurance that salad was washed with mineral water and soups were also made with it, it put our minds at rest when eating.

When we visited we were surprised at how little the beach and the beach pool were used by guests as it was just stunning, but it worked in our advantage as it was very peaceful and you could enjoy the amazing snorkelling without crowds. We found it excellent that there was a sun bed for every guest aswell.

the hotel was very new when we went and not all of it had been completed and we both said we would like to go back to see the finished results. There were some good little shops although some shop keepers were very pushy, there were clearly plans for several new shops aswell.

We had a stunning view over the mountains of jordan, isreal and suadi arabia. Our room was beautifully clean with a huge balcony and the house keeping always left little surprises in the room such as making our towels into swans, it was a nice touch.

We would definately go back.

Also called 'Three Corners''

by TripAdvisor Member portillo

A very clean, well-run and friendly hotel. The quality of my room was definitely 4* and I could not fault the food on the AI option.

If a good indicator of an hotel is the way they handle complaints - this one could not be bettered: I'm a light sleeper and was kept awake the first night by the noise coming from an AC fan on the roof of an adjoining building. Reception were only too happy to move me to an alternative room, even though I later found out that I was the only person who's ever complained of this particular noise.

The view of the Red Sea is stunning - far better than from the taba heights hotels actually on the coast eg the Marriott and Hyatt. The best snorkelling is from the Hyatt hotel beach pier (free) and the quality of fish and reef is outstanding.

I'd suggest you take a steel thermos - AI does not include beer at the beach so fill your flask at the bar before going.

Just the Tonic

This is a very quiet hotel but I liked that because it suited me so only consider it if thats what you are looking for. If it is, then here are my thoughts.

Firstly the good bits:

The best part of this hotel is the staff. The most friendly and hard working bunch of people that I have had the pleasure of meeting. Nothing is too much trouble. Simply GREAT.

The rooms and common areas are good quality, spacious and very clean. Large pool and ample sun beds.

......and the bad bits:

Food. Its pretty basic and very repetitive. Its ok but certainly not worthy of a 4*
(That said there is a FANTASTIC A La Carte restaurant called Chez Pascal which is not part of the all-inclusive deal)

Summary:

In my opinion not really a 4* but rather a 3*+ suited more to lazy pool side readers like me rather than families.

El Wakala - Nice place

Stayed here for a week in mid April. Weather was great (80 -90 each day, just one short shower). The El Wakala was really nice. I was bit worried about it's location but it turned out to be fine. The small resort busses run every 20 mins and take you to and from the beach no problem (5 minute journey). I quite enjoyed the busses bouncing along in a cool breeze! Took a room overlooking the pool, against advice (some had said the music from the bar area would be a problem in these rooms). With the balcony doors closed I could only just hear it and the view with the sea about a mile off was worth it. The staff at El Wakala were amazingly friendly and went out of their way when ever they could. Our room attendant made animal shapes out of towels and left petals on pillows etc. The chaps at the beach are nice and Sherif especially is a real character. He works hard all day to keep things looking and feeling good. Both my girlfriend and I had some good laughs with him.

The food at this hotel is ok. It's difficult to be objective about food because it's just such a personal choice issue. I'm generally quite fussy and would have liked a more varied choice but what was served I found ok (avg to upper 3* standard in my opinion).

The only really bad thing about the place is the entertainment. This consisted of a couple of locals playing crap R & B all night, every night. Oh and lets not forget the dancer! The most annoying, self obsessed little squirt you're ever likely to meet. Anyway, we just wanted a relaxing week away with some sun so I didn't care much but if it matters to you...well I'd suggest you go elsewhere.

can recomend this hotel

by TripAdvisor Member poncia

We had a Lovely week at this hotel, food, service, people, all very nice, quite in the evenings apart from the kids disco and a half hour of entertainment from the animation team, lovely pool.

Three Corners Taba Heights

by Amybowman

I am on the verge of booking this resort for July 4th 2005 for a week but the info available online is very limited. Please, Please can someone answer a few questions for me?

1) What is their bit of beach like? I've read very rocky and the sea is "Freezing", i'd be surprised if the sea is freezing as it's a year round hot destination. Also are there jellyfish?

2) Is there a mosquito problem in this part of Egypt?

3) I am really confused about the tipping sitution. I'll be all inclusive but who do I tip, when and most importantly how much? I'm on a tight budget and I need to know how much I should put aside for this.

4) I'm going alone and as a woman am I likely to encounter a problem with men?!

I'd really appreciate it if anyone can help me out. Either here or at amy@phantom83.fsnet.co.uk

Thanks.

RE: RE: Three Corners Taba Heights

by Amybowman

Thank you Anne. I think I may have been to that site but I will check back with it again just in case. Best wishes.

Comments