Blue Hole Road, Dahab, Egypt

Costs 54% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Tropitel Dahab Oasis

Would go back

by TripAdvisor Member adamtravell

I stayed at the Tropitel Dahab Oasis for a week in July with my wife and three boys aged 10, 6 and 18mths and had a great time.
I chose Dahab as a destination as it is correctly advertised as retaining it’s Bedouin charm as opposed to Sharm being too commercial. I booked private airport – hotel transfers online through Sharm Club for £20 GBP for the 1 ½ hour journey each way.
The location of the hotel is ideal, sandwiched between the Sinai mountains and the Red sea with Blue Hole 10 min taxi ride north and Dahab town 10 min south. The Hotel provides a free shuttle bus into town 4 times per day, but they will also call you a taxi for £3 each way.
We were given a 1st floor room with a fantastic view of the pool and sea and found the hotel to be clean and well maintained with all the services and facilities you need.
What really made this hotel was the staff. From porters, waiters through to the manager, everyone was friendly, approachable and couldn’t do enough for you. Though I was never asked, I tipped almost every serving staff member as I felt they deserved it.
Excursions are available from the lobby area. Poochie is the man to ask for jeep/camel/mountain trips and Ahmed for any water sports. They are always available to answer questions and are not pushy with selling. It’s true that you can get these trips cheaper in town, if you haggle, but for peace of mind I opted to go with these. We did a private yacht trip around some fantastic snorkelling sites, a very rugged jeep safari to Blue hole and a camel ride up a local mountain, all very local to the hotel. I’d recommend all these trips, they have given my family some fantastic and unforgettable experiences.
Breakfast, lunch and dinner in the main restaurant are all buffet style. The food is well cooked and very tasty. There is an attempt to make the food style varied each day with BBQ nights, oriental, Italian, etc. Food is also available from the beach bar, though this is not covered with all inclusive and is burger and chips type food.
Pool Bar is open from sunrise to sunset. Beach bar and shisha tent are open 22:00 till late. Lobby bar is open 24 hours. All are well stocked and you get served with a smile.
The pool and beach areas were good social areas, with organised games and events going on every day such as water polo, volleyball, evening parties with competitions, etc. These all successfully served to get the guests communicating and we made friends with families and couples of all ages and nationalities, who I hope to stay in contact with and meet up with in the future.
The beach is sandy down to the coast line where it becomes rocky. My kids enjoyed looking in the rock pools for crabs and fish. The jetty allows you to get into the sea past the rocks and coral and is fantastic for snorkelling, there is a huge variety of fish and coral immediately at the end. There is also beach security guards who shadow any camel herders, ensuring you are not hassled and feel safe.
To surmise, this hotel is not 5 star luxury, but is extremely friendly and a great place to spend quiet time in the sun and is also close enough to a lot of nightlife, spectacular natural scenery and a typical Egyptian experience. My family and I will definitely revisit this hotel, only next time it will be for two weeks.

Brilliant

by TripAdvisor Member backnerak

Got a good deal for all inclusive through Travel Republic on internet but was a little apprehensive bearing in mind the mixed reviews for this accommodation. Well we needn't have worried - we had a great time.
The room was big enough and perfectly clean. The grouting in the bathroom looked like an amateur rush job but it didn't affect any of the functionality of the room. The bed was huge and reminded me of the traditional beds in Lindos in Rhodes - a tiled platform with a mattress - maybe a bit firm for some but fine for me. Wardrobe had adequate hanging space and a few shelves in lieu of drawers. One benefit of this is that packing is easier because everything is in one place and there's no need to crawl on the floor to check under the bed! Never did get the hang of the air con though!
Lovely balcony with views over the pool and the sea.
Food was really good and varied, plenty of choice and not a problem for my husband who doesn't eat meat/poultry.
Staff were aways polite and attentive.
All inclusive bar was fine. Pool bar during the day, plastic cups for water and cola etc (it is a pool bar after all and broken glass would be a hazard) beer was served in larger, washable plastic tumblers.
The main bar served AI drinks up to midnight. Could have done with a few more tables and chairs in this area, especially since some of the other guests were a touch selfish (reserving a table solely for their kids who promptly just used it to put empty glasses and broken breadsticks on while they went off to play!) We were lucky because our room was only a short distance from the bar so we had the option of taking our drinks to the room and sitting on the balcony.
The star of the show for me though was the reef. Excellent snorkelling and I thought the jetty was really good - more like a pier really with seating at the end and much easier (and more elegant) to exit the water up steps than hauingl yourself onto a pontoon.
Dahab itself is a bit of a mishmash but not without charm. At first we were wary of being enticed into all the shops but soon realised that a polite refusal, with a bit of humour, was perfectly OK and when we did venture inside the shopkeeper was not pushy at all but just seemed concerned to see if they had what we were looking for - if they didn't - no problem!
A couple of tips. If you book through the internet you will probably be offered airport transfer at around £160 for two people - shop around - we arranged airport transfer through the excellent Sheikh Salem House at around 25% of that. Secondly change the bare minimum into currency in the UK - the exchange rate is rubbish and you'll get a better deal at the ATM or local bank even taking currency conversion charges into account (or be smart and take out a Nationwide current account).

Nice hotel but be aware of the food

by TripAdvisor Member TROFMAN

The hotel is nice and has some great surroundings such as the reef and the beach. All staff are friendly and attentive. We went on all inclusive and most drinks were included-including cocktails!!! There were no problems with our room and we had amazing views from our balcony.

The only concerns we had was with the food which was very repetitive and we seemed to suffer from severe stomach cramps and bowel problems-I have a feeling this was from the salads and some meats??

There is also very litte entertainment and it can be a little quiet at times in the evenings (although this may suit some people).

All in all this hotel represents good value, but it is in my opinion 3 star not 4/5 star!!! We did enjoy our stay there mainly because of the friendly staff.

Nice Quiet Hotel on the Coral Reef...but not 5*!

by TripAdvisor Member DantheManLondon

I went to meet my brother, his wife and son at this hotel in April 2008 this year. In review of the Hotel and its services, I came to the follwing concise conclusions.

1. Location of Hotel
The hotel is literally in the middle of no mands land. It took just over an hour to reach there by taxi after driving through the mountains. You have to go through numerous checkpoints at times which made me feel uneasy as they speak their own language and do not even look like they are officials. Despite all this, the hotel is situated on a beautiful coral reef on to which a pier over looks. The visibility is great when the sea is calm with lots of fish and wild life. Ideal for SCUBA.

2.Beach
In my opinion the beach is crap. Do not come here is you want a sandy beach. They do have sand, but it is more like gravel and you have to walk over rocks/coral to enter the water. Most of my time was spent around and by the poolside area.

3. Hotel
The hotel was definately not 5* but I can't complain for the deal I got cause I only paid £110 for all inclusive for the week. The room I got was reall nice, so no problems there. The pool is nice, and it isn't as cold as some of the other reviews suggested - when are pools full of warm water? Do not bother using the gym there, it is tiny. The gym consists of a treadmill, a bike and some small multigym 'bought from Argos' if they have Argos there.

4. Hotel Entertainment
There was no hotel entertainment. There are nights which you have to pay for down by the beach bar where there are belly dancers once in a while. There are two pool tables and a snooker table within the hotel lobby area for your own enjoyment but you have to pay for these.

5. Food and All inclusive Package
The food was very repetitive. They say there is a different theme every night (i.e. Oriental French etc...) but it was almost identical. They also didn't even do chips (where was the English theme?) The food also gave me severe stomach cramps and diarrhoea and in my opinion this was worst thing about the holiday. The all inclusive package only included breakfast , lunch and dinner - no snacks.. Bottled water, which is the only kind of water I trusted, was also at an extra cost. If your English, and you fancy a burger with chips you have to pay for this from the beach bar/restaurant.

6. Staff and room service
The staff where very friendly and the room service was excellent. They put petals on the bed and made fancy designs with the towels for me and my girlfriend.

7. People and other Cultures
Germans: Were fine
Polish: Didn't like
Russians: Didn't like
Australians: Were fine
English: Never came across any.

8. Overall
All in all, I had a really nice holiday. However, it was the people I went with that made my holiday a great one, not the hotel. Next time I got to Egypt, I will pay £100 less for the transfer to this place and stay in Sharm El Sheikh in the Concorde or Hilton.

Very lovely but very boring

by TripAdvisor Member trofjay

Me and my girlfriend stayed at this hotel for a one week all-inclusive break. We got a good price for the holiday as we booked directly with the hotel and flight via Thomsonfly. On arrival at Sharm el sheik airport we proceeded to find our pre
booked taxi transfer which proved to be a little un-organised and we were kept waiting for 20 minutes with others who booked the shuttle bus. We recommend just flagging a taxi upon arrival rather then pre booking as its just the same service if not better. Once we finally got our private taxi we proceeded to Dahab. The journey took us 1hr 30min as our driver got lost on numerous occasions; we also had to pass numerous check points which was scary as the officials weren’t even dressed in uniform but casual jeans and shirt. They asked our driver for our passports a couple of times and it almost felt like we were in Iraq.

On arrival at the hotel we were directed to reception and were impressed with the speedy service with checking in. Straight away the staff were friendly and approachable and the porter boy carried our cases to our room. We asked for a pool/sea view on with our original booking but we received a ground level room on the back of the hotel, we couldn’t evaluate the view till morning as it was dark when we arrived. As soon as we did see the view we weren’t impressed, we did have a sea view but we could also see the building works next to our hotel, also the security of the doors was very bad as the lock was hanging off. However when we asked to change our room the reception staff were very proactive and we were moved to a balcony pool/sea view. This room was quite impressive, spacious and clean. The rooms were cleaned daily by the friendly cleaner and the mini bar was checked and restocked daily.

The facilities at the hotel were minimal and in my opinion lacking choice. As all inclusive guests we were entitled to drinks at 2 of the 3 bars on offer (hotel bar, pool bar). The beach bar wasn’t free, but this bar probably had the best food options (burger and chips, snacks). We did find that the hotel bar had a good choice of cocktails and it was handy that our room wasn’t far from this bar as we could take our drinks to our balcony in the evenings. The pool bar was a speedy service but we weren’t impressed with the drinks given in small plastic cups. None of the bars had any vodka as the Polish drank it all before our arrival; this limited our options with drinks/cocktails which we thought the hotel could have restocked. The entertainment at this hotel was non existent. It got very boring in the evenings but our saviour was a free shuttle bus into nearby Dahab (if you didn’t fancy watching paint dry). The only entertainment on offer was a belly dancing night at the beach bar which seems to be offered once for fortnight; we had to pay £20 each for this, although it was an enjoyable evening. The pool tables/internet/table tennis all had to be paid for.

The food at this hotel was very repetitive, chicken and beef, then beef and chicken. My favourites were omelettes for breakfast, pizza & pasta for lunch, dinner didn’t enjoy much. The food theme nights (BBQ, oriental) didn’t happen in my opinion and was misleading. The restaurant staff were responsive to take your drink requests but the drinks usually arrived just before you finished your meal. By the 3-4 day of our stay we got stomach cramps and severe diarrhoea, this spoilt our holiday. We believe we got this from the hotel food and water. Questionable if the cooks used clean water to wash salad / cook pasta.

My final conclusion the hotel itself was nice and peaceful and would suit those that want to relax and go to bed early (certainly not for those seeking the slightest bit of entertainment). I would recommend those who come to Tropitel oasis to eat in nearby Dahab as the food is cheap and more tasteful, if you do go Dahab try the fish restaurant ‘El Fanar’. Excursions to try are Quad bikes at sunset and Blue Hole. What made this holiday were the friendly staff (particularly the towel boy ‘malik’) and the people I travelled with.

I would certainly be going Sharm El Sheik next time I go Egypt, by saving the money on transfers I would go somewhere more livelily and has more options also somewhere close to a shop that sells Imodium.

Not for all people

by TripAdvisor Member AnnMiro

The hotel is situated in the ideal place for diving or snorkeling which is the blue hole area, we ve done snorkling there which was the best thing to do, the hotel is far from the city center of Dahab & so it was boaring for us staying there more than 2 days
As per quality of food, accomodation & service all was good I dont have any comment for all that just the location of the hotel is not recomended for who is looking for entertainment it will be really boaring.

Resort was ok

by TripAdvisor Member Ellemic

The resort was pretty standard. The rooms were ok. The pillows were flat as a pancake though and there was only one spare. The shower was the tiniest thing you could ever see. An issue is the service for when the rooms are made up. The cleaner would come and make our room but then would not give us any new towels. I complained saying I needed one and they said they have run out. This occurred on numerous occasions. The breakfast was fine. The buffet for dinner was not worth the price. In terms of location is about a 10-15 min drive to the city centre. The resort has a bus shuttle however the times are scattered. The bus times are that one leaves at around 1 in the afternoon and then the next pick up to the hotel is 6 at night. However for snorkelling at the Blue Hole, the hotel is a prime choice. The resort has its on private beach area and you can also hire snorkel gear. If your not looking for anything fancy then I would recommend this resort

great staff

by TripAdvisor Member cath07Halifax

The hotel staff could not do enough for us, very friendly and helpful. The food was nice but could do with more variety. Ali in the restaurant was our favorite, the only problem with our stay was the Russian tourists, very arrogant and rude. The beach can be very windy but this was a god send as it was so hot.

Food is dreadful.

by TripAdvisor Member jehsickah

I stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks with my partner, her mother and her Aunt. Myself and my partner are divers and reading the reviews, came to the conclusion this hotel would be a great location.

When we arrived at the hotel, the entrance is very grand with lights and palm trees, very pretty indeed. Despite being an hours drive from the Airport it is COMPLETELY different to Sharm.

The reception staff (GEORGE) were friendly and welcomed us all. Our first room was spacious, balcony but 2 single beds. We had this changed in the morning to a double (with better sea view) no problems at all. The porters were very friendly and helpful.

The air-con didn't work great in the second room but the shower was larger and again, the view was much nicer.

The restaurant was clean, seemed small for the size of the hotel but seemed to suit the amount of people.

The pool was nice and although it looks small, isn't heated and the only one, it was fine for swimming.

The bad points about the hotel was:-

- Music against the pool bar was unacceptably loud and repetative.

- The food was the same, lunch and dinner. Not advised for children because they served chips once for the whole 2 weeks. Very disappointed in that aspect.

- Our flight wasn't until 9:15pm to go home. They took away your AI band at 12.noon so you couldn't even get lunch. A few people's flights wasn't until 1.a.m. but still, their bands were taken away at 12.noon.

- The price of the hotel's trips were very high. Definitely recommend going into Dahab and you can get it nearly half the price.

- The shuttle bus service was great but they run 5 minutes faster than our usual 'English' time. So beware! Also they only do 10am, 2pm, 6pm and 8pm trips to Dahab. We decided a 2pm or 4pm would have been better.

The Blue Hole is an hours walk away. DEFINITELY recommend waking up 5.a.m. and walking there if you wish to snorkel. It was amazing and a complete experience with a track easy to walk on. The coral reef out the front of the hotel is FANTASTIC but the Canyon (10 minute walk to the left) is better visibility and fish wise.

Overall the holiday was great but the food was a let down. Food in Dahab is great and it's cheap too.

Definitely Dahab is recommended but personally i would advise you to stay away from the hotel.

Great holiday - not so great hotel.

Hotel is as described, buffet boring, diving great!

by TripAdvisor Member pilotlady

To be fair, this hotel does exactly what it says on the tin. It has nice rooms, a nice pool and is clean and well maintained with good communal areas.

I would recommend a ground floor room, cos you are near to the pool. We left our patio door slightly ajar all day with the key in the room, so the air-con stayed on and we could pop back easily from the pool.

First floor rooms would have a better view.

The major downer for me was that the internet was out for the entire week, meaning I had to travel to Dahab most nights to get wifi (work). I would have gone anyway to see the place and escape the buffet!

I love Dahab, and have been going there since 1995. It is NOT Sharm and (hopefully) never will be. It's a Bedouin town that's growing perhaps a little too quickly, but retains its charm.

As everyone else has been saying, the buffet is dire. Same thing every night and most of it in a tomato sauce, which I don't like so I lost weight!

Hotel's dive centre is German run. It's safe, efficient and reasonably priced. Sabbah and Anya were great guides.

Also true about all drinks being served in plastic cups. What do you expect for such a great price - I thought it was a great trip.

Colored CanyonColored Canyon

The Menu at SeabrideThe Menu at Seabride

DhabaDhaba

Continental Breakfast at ShamsContinental Breakfast at Shams

hi

by pakinam

Hi im 17 years old and planning to go to dahab at new years alone. so anyone have any ideas on how to spend ? i also need a friendly small hotel on the beach anyone have any suggestions?

by dazle

Hi

I too will be in dahab for nye! i am flying out on nye and arrive in the evening. It will be my erm 5th time in dahab i think lol

Happy to give any advice you may need and meet up for a beer if you want

As for accom, don't know what you are looking for, budget wise/condition/location, but I last time I was their I stayed at Oasis Kangaroo(be careful if interested - theres 2 oasis camps in dahab and the other is expensive and *** apparently). It's well located, staff are well friendly, rooms are a bit *** but well reasonable and you have 3 prices to choose from. Will dig their email addy out if it's the kind of thing you are looking for.

As for how to spend nye. Don't know, never been then but I can easily find out. I have a few friends there that are into enjoying themselves

Give me a shout if you want any more info I may know etc and want to meet

Take it easy

Darryl

by pakinam

Thanks alot for the information and i need a friendly hotel for low budget.
i think i will be there in a week and it'll be my forth time there :). it'll be very nice if we would meet for a beer or something there 'couse i still have no friends there so it'll be nice . where r u from anyway?! anyway i hope we could arange something.
Thanks again,
pakinam

by Nancy2101

Hello,

I'm also in Dahab alone at new years eve. Maybe we can meet? I'm travelling alone, Dutch woman, 28 years old. I don't know what to expect from Egypt, so I find it nice to meet some people there.

Best regards,

Nancy

by pakinam

thanks alot for the invitation i'd love to . i know its too late im sorry i just saw it now . anyway i didnt go in newyear to dahab i was supposed to go now but i cant ofcourse because of the crisis in egypt so it will be postponed. i may go in the spring alone also im 17 egyptian girl so it wil be nice if we could meet.

Comments