Badr Street, Luxor, 2134, Egypt
Hostelworld.com eDreams Booking.com

Satisfaction Average

More about Luxor

The food joints.The food joints.

This group looked most beautiful.This group looked most beautiful.

Tha Rams of Amun-Ra @ Karnak TempleTha Rams of Amun-Ra @ Karnak Temple

Old Mercedes - LuxorOld Mercedes - Luxor

Holistic Travel

by reeve2000

We going to Egypt for our honeymoon, and we booked with holistic Travel.
Any idea what is luxor like??

Thanks

by TheLongTone

An advanced money-extracting facility.

by ourluxor

Luxor is wonderful! It has the sun, the Antiquities, the very foreign culture and lots of people hoping to make their living from you. Not least among which are the hippy/new age/holistic therapy crowd, who'll take more of your money than anyone else, if they are given the chance. I honestly don't know what lures them all to Luxor, but we certainly have a lot more than our fair share!
Maybe it's because the Egyptians truly believe in the "Evil Eye" and that sort of nonsense. Oooops, maybe I should watch what I write?

by al2401

Luxor is a 'mini' Cairo and yes, there will be many people ready to separate you from your money - as in all of Egypt.

It is the home of the Valleys of the Kings, Queens and Nobles, the temple of Hatshepsut, Karnak and Luxor temples and more. The early morning hot air balloon trip is fantastic.

by jmcoru

Depends what your interests are. If you like history, then Luxor can't be beat. As someone else mentioned the tombs & temples are not to be missed!

by ussyno1

hi i jus came back from luxor for my honeymoon my wife for the first 2 days did not like it but by the time we came back she loved it and never wanted to leave i would really recomend, but be carefull of tourguides they try to con you and dont use the horse and carriage they really sting you no matter how sweet they talk. i got stung if you so need a good tour guide whos excurstions are even cheaper then anyone please feel free to ask me on ussyno1@hotmail.com

Travel Tips for Luxor

Good web site for preparing your trip

by vdoortje

History, history, histoy,

Luxor was in ancient times the capital of Egypt. At least during the 18th and 19th dinasty. The most richest dinasties in ancient Egyptian history. So many things of this history are to be found in Luxor.

Great tip for a website to prepare you for Luxor:

http://www.thebanmappingproject.com/ The Valley of Kings is the grave yard of Kings during the 18th and 19th dinasty. Their well decorated graves are there to be seen.

Tutankhamun's Tomb and Photographs

by geordiebutcher

When you go to the valley of the kings, the most visited tomb is that of Tutankhamun (70 le) When you enter the tomb your camera is taken from you and you will be given a numbered disc. As you come out if there is not many people around, the guard will take a photograph of you climbing the steps and he will expect a tip so be prepared and have small notes in your pocket for all these unexpected costs. I was lucky I had a 10 le note so it cost me £1 for the photograph

Karnak and the stars

by Maline

One thing I will always remember is when we visited the Karnak temple in nighttime for the sound and light-show. Now, the show itself was an uninteresting and expensive rip-off, in my opinion. What was so great about the visit was a completely different thing. We were there well ahead of time, and before the thing started I wanted to visit the restrooms. This was arranged, and I ended up walking alongside one guide through the temple. It was dast, the stone structures mounting high around us only lit up by a myriad of shining stars. No one was around. I couldnt help but drift away, and wonder if this was how it felt for the people working in the temple thousands of years ago, and knowing that the sky that looked down on them was the same that lighted our way. Shivers run down your spine, I can assure you.

Karnak and the stars

by Maline

One thing I will always remember is when we visited the Karnak temple in nighttime for the sound and light-show. Now, the show itself was an uninteresting and expensive rip-off, in my opinion. What was so great about the visit was a completely different thing. We were there well ahead of time, and before the thing started I wanted to visit the restrooms. This was arranged, and I ended up walking alongside one guide through the temple. It was dark, the stone structures mounting high around us only lit up by a myriad of shining stars. No one was around. I couldnt help but drift away, and wonder if this was how it felt for the people working in the temple thousands of years ago, and knowing that the sky that looked down on them was the same that lighted our way. Shivers run down your spine, I can assure you.

Visit the Old Winter Palace Hotel

by myriam_c

At least have something to drink on the terrace of the Old Winter Palace in Luxor and the Old Cataract hotel in Aswan. Unfortunately enough our budget was inadequate to spend some nights there! This picture is taken at the Old Winter Palace.

Comments