Gaddis Hotel

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 38% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Gaddis Hotel

Restaurants and bars in Luxor June 2008

by robpreston about Various restaurants and bars

Sheraton Hotel : "La Mamma" Italian Jules had salmon and lemon starter 1/10 lets just say the salmon was “well traveled” and veal as main 9/10 I had lentil soup (more like tomato) 5/10 and for main, pepper steak 6/10 price comparable with UK (not cheap by Egyptian standards)
Sheraton hotel main restaurant breakfast buffet : (included on B+B) typical continental style buffet breakfast 6/10 acceptable but would not have liked to have paid for it!
Sheraton hotel Indian restaurant did not eat as prices too high (example pilau rice LE40 approx£4 and most curries e.g. jalfrezi LE125 approx £12.50)
Sheraton hotel main restaurant dinner buffet : food again ok limited choice of meat. chicken or wait for the one chef to individually prepare cook slices of beef (queues formed for this service) and expensive approx £15 per head without beer, the local beer incidentally was the most expensive we found in Luxor locally produced (not the Belgium variety) Stella 4.5% alc by vol @ LE30 Egyptian approx £3-00 for 500ml bottle and local Sakara beer at LE35 approx £3-50 for 500ml.

Maximes Restaurant (5mins walk into town from Sheraton) Egyptian restaurant well presented in upstairs triangular shaped room food good and reasonably priced (no alcohol).

The Two Johns at the Gaddis Hotel Khaled Bin El-Walid Street : This bar and restaurant entered through Gaddis hotel head strait through from the front of hotel and then upstairs at the back of the hotel, clean and cool bar but not a great deal of atmosphere, but at the time we visited we were the only customers (approx 7-00pm) Stella LE10 we did not eat.

Murphy’s Irish bar side street adjacent to the Steigenberger Nile Palace Khaled Bin El-Walid Street, imposing front entrance in non-impressive side street. Bar decent inside, looked like disco and bar downstairs and a restaurant and bar upstairs with pool table. Stella LE10 did not eat but food prices seemed reasonable (like most restaurants visited in Luxor the menu was not very adventurous!)

Ali Baba Bar and Grill (open air) probably one of the best views in Luxor situated behind Luxor temple past the ubiquitous McDonalds, heading south, totally Egyptian? and sort of tatty around the edges (and in the middle for that matter) But spoke English, bar not very cool on a hot June day, beer not particularly cold but cheap as anywhere LE10 food was served but we did not eat. Definitely recommended for authenticity and spectacular view. (warning as with some bars in Luxor the entrance is usually by an uninviting hallway and passage, this one seems designed to trip the unwary, as the entrance to this upstairs bar is by rickety stairs with a carpet that does not seem to be attached anywhere! Be warned!)

7 Days 7 Ways Restaurant and Royal Oak "pub" English managed restaurant 5mins walk from Sheraton hotel. Highly recommended and Best food value/quality/service we experienced while in Luxor. Stella LE10 bottle of Egyptian wine LE75 approx £7 we ate here twice whilst in Luxor and the food and value where the best we had! Again the entrance is though a narrow hallway situated between shops an could easily be missed it does have a sign above the doorway for 7 days 7 ways and Royal Oak pub which is in the same building on the floor above and is run by the same people with the same cleanliness and value for money!

Mercure Hotel Cornish El Nile Street, this was only hostelry we managed to visit the previous time we where in Luxor 3 years earlier Highly recommend the eastern style mixed grill which comes on its own charcoal burner at the LE CHAMPOLION Restaurant, which although unusually positioned in the foyer area, it serves excellent food with a friendly smile, Also recommended is the EL SARAB BAR bar located to the right as you enter the hotel which has a happy hour? sic! between 5pm and 7pm but rather unusually its pay full price for the first drink??????

Royal garden Hotel in Luxor

by Margela

hey guys,
i have just got a reservation for January in 3 star hotel in Luxor called Royal Garden or something. As far as i understood it is quite new one & offers very reasonable prices.
Does anyone know something about it and if YES can you please send me a link of this hotel?
Thanks,
Margela

Re: Royal garden Hotel in Luxor

by sayedaburas

Hi Margela

Luxor 3** Hotels in the official guide are as follws:

Flobater Hotel; Pharaon Hotel; Shady Hotel; St. Joseph Hotel; Gaddis Hotel; Arabesque Hotel; Edris Tut Hotel; Emilio Hotel; Merry Land Hotel; New Emilio Hotel; Paula Hotel; Pharaon Hotel; Philippe Hotel; Shady Hotel; New Windsor Hotel; Flo-Pater Hotel; St.Joseph Hotel; Karnak Hotel

For any further help, specify and let me assist, if you like.

Best of luck

Sayed

Re: Royal garden Hotel in Luxor

by Pharoh_Dino

well Majitu, I tried looking around for that annonymous hotel on the internet but doesn't seem that it exist on the map. Will be a nice adventure landing in Luxor with a fake reservation in a high season. nihaaaaaaa

Cheers,
Hazem

Hotel recommendations for Luxor

by jackfruit

We will be coming off a 2 day felucca ride from Aswan and would like to stay in a nice reasonable hotel for 2 nights. Nothing more than $50 for a double.

Even though it's the off season, I am having a tough time getting a room in one of the classier hotels for a lower price. I called the Royal Sonesta St George and they are not even hororing the website price of $45 for a double. Same thing with the New Winter Palace (pool is closed, but the cheapest rooms are $85 for a double).

I am not interested in backpacker hotels like Mina Palace and Nefertiti. Something with a Nile view and/or Luxor temple view would be great. Anybody know of any good deals out there for 2 nights in mid may?

Re: Hotel recommendations for Luxor

by mabruka

I fiound quite nice the Emilio hotel is very well situated, and a double cost not more than 35 euros. There is a swimming pool on the top, the rooms are really nice!

Re: Hotel recommendations for Luxor

by Luxorlover

The Mina Palace is not actually a backpacker hotel and is right on the Nile. The corner rooms overlook the river and Luxor Temple. I have stayed there several times myself. It is not in the same league as the Winter Palace or he Sonesta but it has a better view.

The other hotels along that strip are the Club Med, (which is reasonably priced), The Novotel and the Isis. The Gaddis Hotel is in the same street but does not have a Nile view.

Liza Sutton, Luxor Resident.

• Dec 29, 2012 at 2:41 PM

A group of ladies decided to take a winter holiday in Luxor, Egypt. We decided to stay at Gaddis Hotel after reading the reviews in August. In December, which was closer to our departure date, I decided to reread the reviews and they were all ‘HORRIFIC!’ To my dismay I decided to ignore the reviews because that could have been their own personal experience and besides it was too late. On first inspection of the Gaddis Hotel the reception staff where quite rude. When we went to our room it was dirty! It smelled like mold and cigarettes and the bathroom was disgusting. We had to shower in sandals because we were afraid we might catch something. At 4am we were awoken by the call of prayer which happened to be our next door neighbor. 24hrs in we ordered room service and the Bar Captain brought our food to our room where he sat on our bed and made sexual references to each one of us. We then talked to the General Manager where he promised to fire him for his inappropriate behavior. Two hours later we were meeting with our local Travel Agent in the lobby and saw the Bar Captain in the lobby talking to guest. This is when our experience turned into ‘HELL’. We requested to leave the hotel, they disconnected our room phone so we couldn’t receive or make calls, told our travel agent and police we were not in our room and gave them the wrong room number, they wouldn’t allow us to call the police, wouldn’t call our travel agent, kept making excuses for the phone line being down, promised to move us to another hotel but because we didn’t sign a statement stating that, we would not tell Expedia of our horrific experience, the Hotel Manager made us walk three blocks to the other hotel, during this time calling that hotel and telling him to make us pay cash. The Gaddis Hotel Manager and Front Desk Team told the Gaddis Hotel Security to follow me as I went into the streets searching for someone to help me, while he told the locals not too. Finally close to midnight my personal cellular phone finally worked and I was able to text my local Travel Agent and he came out to escort us to the police station. After writing up a report they put us in wonderful hotel, St. Joesph’s Hotel. Our 7 day holiday turned into a 5 day survival retreat because you go out into the streets or markets and are harassed, lied to and disrespected. We caught a horse and buggy and agreed upon 5 Egyptian Pounds and once it was over an argument escalated because he wanted 5 euro. When I tried to give him what we agreed on I was called the ‘B’ word, was told ‘F’ my country and Mother and had 5 men surrounding us demanding his money. Overall Egypt was a growing experience. Women have no rights what so ever and the Egyptian men do not respect them at all. Every time we voiced our opinion we were told to ‘BE QUIET!’ If it wasn’t for Elegant Voyage and the team of people they had to help us out we would have been left hopeless.
    Expedia did not help us at all! They over charged for the events we brought such as visiting the Temples and Valley of the Kings and Queens ect. When I spoke with them they wanted more money, I will never EVER use this site again because if it wasn’t for their recommendation of this particular Hotel our Winter Holiday might have been more doable. I would personally like to Thank, ELEGANT VOYAGE, an Egyptian owned company because without them and their dedicated staff my trip would have been more disastrous!