Luxor Hotels

Our Members Say

• jetsetter45 profile photo jetsetter45
  • Reviews: 8
Fontanna Pension Louxor: traveller warning AVOID!!!

This is a formal warning to all potential visitors to Fontanna Pension In Sharia radwan off television street. If you are self respecting avoid this dive like the plague. Whilst I didn`t stay here thankfully,
my Egyptian husband went to view a room a few days ago,we only were staying in Louxor for one night so my Egyptian husband went into the Fontanna pension to get a price but ended up paying a price without staying. The maid showed him the room and came to receptionand accused him of stealing money from her,the son of the owner then started pushing him around and a nasty mob of
15/20 men gatherd and started to beat my husband and took 200le out of his wallett and photocopied his id card, two men saved him and he came to me very upset and barely able to speak,finally he told me in tears of this vile incident.I then insisted we go to the police he said he had no faith in police but I insisted but first we had to go back to the scene. This was hard for him but I insisted this was for the good of other potential victims. However when we got there the two men who had saved him insisted the owner wanted to speak to us, they came with us as witnesses and the owner said it wasa mistake and his son had been hasty. He gave us drinks but I refused as I didn`t want to be accused of stealing as well. The owner said he had refunded the maid if any money had even been stolen as they couldn`t pinpoint the theif,if there was one. The owner was made aware I was European and might involve the police so was being phoney with me. He apologised to us and my husband decided to drop the issue to prevent future problems. I raised the issue of his money being removed from his wallet and the owner should reimburse but my husband said maybe he had lost it even though he knew the truth. The owner said everything happened at once as the other guest requested tea at the time of my husbands visit re price enquiry. So the incident was closed at my husbands request to forget it even though he can`t it has affected him badly and he is not a theif he has never stolen from me and he is a good man.even the two men who rescued him said this and they had only met him once. I believe you must publish this review as not to do so would be condoning this vile incident and encourage a future reoccuorance. This is a warning to all selfrespecting travellers. Incidentally this fontanna pension not to be confused with Fontanna hotel, is a place of ill repute a brothel and is used by cheap women and also drugs haven. Maybe the maid was disappointed my husband was not interested and needed to make some fast money.The whole incident is very underhand and ruined my holiday.

none whatsoever. It is on a dodgy and dingy sidestreet at the end and the sign is white with blue writing.

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written February 7, 2013

• barbskie profile photo barbskie
  • Reviews: 853

Iberotel Luxor: Best location

Iberotel Luxor is centrally located accomodation directly on the banks of the Nile and within 10 min walking distance from Luxor Temple and 20 min to the Souk (market). Karnak Temple about 3 km and Luxor Airport about 11 km. it has a beautiful garden full of exotic plants with a swimming pool on a floating jetty, shops, restaurants and bars. Near the hotel you will find a ferry pier.
The rooms are spacious and comfortable equipped in style with air−conditioning, bathroom with shower/toilet, telephone, satellite TV, mini fridge, in−room safe, hairdryer, internet access. Standard rooms with balcony overlook the lobby or street.
Superior rooms, most of them with a balcony, have a spectacular view of the Nile.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Family Travel, Hot Air Ballooning, Historical Travel
  • Written March 7, 2011

• NilePrincess profile photo NilePrincess
  • Reviews: 28

Villa Rental - Luxor West Bank: Loving my own space on the West Bank of Luxor

7 friends and I rented this house in March of 2009. It is next door to the Gezira Gardens Hotel. More to come....

• Related to: Business Travel, Family Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written August 1, 2009
Tip Photo

• illumina profile photo illumina
  • Reviews: 1066

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Happy Land Hotel: Good budget backpacker hostel

Friendly hotel fairly centrally located in Luxor - down an interesting small road with markets and lots of local colour! You get a free welcoming Karkadeh (delicious cold hibiscus drink) on arrival, and though they will try to sell you tours straight away, they're not too pushy about it. The rooms are decent and clean (and ours came with a fridge which was so useful - the ability to take frozen water to the Valley of the Kings was a life-saver!).

Breakfast is included in the price, and there's a nice roof-top area for eating and relaxing.

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written July 14, 2009

• tarek.lotfy profile photo tarek.lotfy
  • Reviews: 2

Nile Cruise: The Oberoi, Zahra

we spent a week of our holiday on the magnificent Zahra.

Fortunately, we were able to book one of these grand Suites on the Luxor to Aswan trip and we have absolutely no regrets.

We were welcomed in Luxor with drinks and the wonderful attentive Zahra Manager and staff. Docked at its own mooring site, there was no need to climb from one boat to the other. The dock for the Zahra in Luxor is past the Sheraton Hotel towards the bridge… further down the Nile from Luxor Temple.

SUITE - a smart layout of the living room with dining table, sofa, plasma, writing desk, tea/coffee facilities, mini-bar; bedroom with under-bed lighting, reading lights, plasma, views the Nile through the bathroom and living room windows; walk-in closet with electronic safe, bathroom with a huge double shower, bath, double sinks, hair-dryer, huge windows; and finally the private deck complete with 2 cushioned sunbeds, chairs and Jacuzzi with shade. Our private deck was accessible from the Sun Deck.

The cruise itinerary is unique there are five days of sailing during the cruise, the visits are organised in special time, when temples are not busy. Guests were divided into small groups and taken to tours via the air-conditioned Mercedes people carriers. Guests were offered bottles of water for the trips which came in a shoulder length bottle holder. Many of the trips were early morning or late afternoon leaving us time to be pampered in the Spa or hair-dressers, relax in the Cigar lounge, spend time in the gym and to simply relax by the swimming pool on the Sun Deck. There is a choice of dvd’s should you wish to escape the rest of the guests and staff and chill out in the suite. Whenever we returned to the boat from a trip, we were once again greeted by the friendly staff with cold soaked towels, a refreshing touch.

EATING / DRINKING - Food on the Zahra was outstanding. Breakfast consisted of a variety of hot food, pastries, fruits and cereals. there is also a la cart items. Lunch was available either in the restaurant or on the Sun Deck. To be honest, nothing could be beat being on the Sun Deck watching the Nile sites go by under their cool mist of water Lunch offers included: tempura prawns, Oberoi burger, Asian salad etc. Dinner in the restaurant was simply magnificent. The attentive chef who greeted all the guests personally at some point during the week gave attention to what every guest wanted. An authentic evening of Egyptian food was on offer for one night and then a full Indian meal on another. We were spoilt.

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Cruise, Spa and Resort, Historical Travel
  • Written January 19, 2009

• chizz profile photo chizz
  • Reviews: 451

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

M/S Melodie: Cruising down the Nile

Imaginative Traveller use the M/S Melodie for their Nile cruises which is quite an old boat with basic accommodation. Saying this, bedding is very clean and staff are friendly and helpful. Food on board is buffet style and tasty, although can get a bit repetitive after a while.
We had a small double cabin on the top deck which was nice as it had it's walkway which acted as a kind of balcony for us - nice to keep the cabin door open as we sailed down the Nile!
On the top deck you had a small pool and sun loungers. The middle deck had the entertainment area, bar and small shop and below this was the reception and restaurant.
Our cruise lasted for 7 days on the boat and most days we would make a stop in different destinations to go sightseeing.

Staff were great and prices of drinks were fair.

• Written January 8, 2009

M/S Melodie

• corney profile photo corney
  • Reviews: 12

Jewel of the Nile holiday apartment: A real Jewel

Want to avoid the crowds in Luxor? Want a view of the Nile and Luxor temple from the kitchen window? Then Jewel of the Nile Apartment is for you. Located on the less populated West bank, it's handy for all the west bank sites (valley of the Kings, temples etc.) and also a great place just to chill out on the roof top balcony. Host Nobi goes out of his way to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. Our family stayed for one week in the large 2nd floor apartment - just ideal.

Outstanding views of the Nile

• Related to: Historical Travel, Archeology, Family Travel
  • Written March 22, 2008
Tip Photo

View from the roof top terrace

• rosegirl profile photo rosegirl
  • Reviews: 32

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Grand Hotel: Grand Hotel

Please read what i write about Atlas hotel.again people who are NOT honest and try to play tricks on you and let you pay more !!! the guy Ahmed i talked about in Atlas hotel is working in this hotel too so please avoid staying there also.dn't let the cheap prices deceive you!!!

• Written December 27, 2007

• rosegirl profile photo rosegirl
  • Reviews: 32

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Atlas Hotel: Atlas Hotel

Hostel Atlas is located near train station from tv street .please avoid staying there.it is not clean.some people there are really nice and handsome of the staff but there was guy called Ahmed working there as tour operator.he is not honest and try to make business on you...you know that kind of guys in Luxor.

• Written December 27, 2007

Cruise over the Nile: The Nile tourist fleet

The amount of passengers onboard the ship can be estimated by amount of places at restaurant. I have counted 108 places. I have drawn a conclusion that two full buses of tourists can be placed on a ship. I've seen that it has been occupied less than half of tables at restaurant on our ship.

Therefore I have solved, that our ship has been filled only on a half. The group of Russian tourists consisted of 34 person. In the group of Frenchmen I have counted about 20 people. I read that about 250 ships are making cruises between Luxor and Aswan. It means that simultaneously in a way can be about 25000 tourists.

However a part of ships are making cruises in the opposite direction from Aswan to Luxor. So travel agencies are trying to dissolve streams of tourists and to avoid a chaos.

The Nile tourist fleet

Cruise over the Nile: "Sobek" Boat

Size and equipment of cabins are the same. But boats have four decks. Three of them are used for living. It is considered, that the third deck is more preferable to settlement, and the lower deck - is less preferable. Therefore the majority of tourists wish to lodge on the third deck. To avoid disputes the drawing lots is used.

According to drawing lots I've got the second deck and I was quite delighted.

M/S Sobek Managed by Upper Moon Tours. Everything was all right!

"Sobek" Boat Cabin

Cruise over the Nile: Our hotel – 5 stars "Sobek" Boat

The boats have five tourist stars. I do not have wide experience of river and sea cruises. However it seemed to me, that the boats on the Nile are comfortable and convenient enough.

The area of a cabin is not less than the standard area of a room in a hotel.

I did not feel lack of a place and claustrophobia. Big panoramic windows provide the good views outside.
These windows, and also the big mirror which has a size almost in the whole wall create illusion of greater space, than the cabin really occupies.

The cabin allows two passengers to be placed with convenience. However I have paid a single room. Therefore place was too much for me. The second bed has appeared superfluous. The conditioner was very important and vital component of the cabin in conditions of hot Egypt.

How many times, coming back into the cabin from the excursion, I breathed with relief being caused by cool after severe African heat outside. Presence of a toilet and a shower in each cabin also made the cruise comfortable. Unfortunately, the TV was accepting only two programs. First I was upset because of it a little, but did not notice this inconvenience further. Every day has been saturated by excursions, and I hadn't time for watching TV.

Our hotel ��� 5 stars "Sebek" Boat - my cabin

• RawdgerDodger profile photo RawdgerDodger
  • Reviews: 108

Dahayiba Luxury Boat: Sail in Style on the Nile Aboard a Dahayiba

Our stay aboard a suped-up modern day dahabiya for a week and a half was awesome! My family and I chose the dahabiya as we thought that it would be better to sail along the Nile rather then take a bus from here to there from a hotel. We weren't disappointed. Aboard the Dahabiya, we were treated like kings and were fed three meals a day and all the drinks we could drink. The meals were cooked aboard the dahabiya and if we weren't on an excursion to one of the many temples en route from Luxor to Aswan, we were playing card games, backgammon, and Scrabble.

The dahabiya's price includes all food and drink as part of the package. Our cost was $3,000 PER AIR CONDITIONED CABIN for our 10 day stay. A cabin holds two people. The fee also depends on what time of the year you decide to sail along the Nile. We chose the first weeks of May as it is cheaper at this time then in March or April. The dahayiba has a airconditioned stateroom inside and if you want to take a break from the heat above deck. The stateroom and entire dahabiya is constructed in an elegant plush "British style" and has everything from a Television/DVD player to books and boardgames.

• Related to: Photography, Family Travel, Luxury Travel
  • Written May 27, 2007

Sunrise on the Nile

• miriamkhalifa profile photo miriamkhalifa
  • Reviews: 9

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Gezira Garden Hotel: Feel at home at the West Bank!

This small hotel on the West Bank is just perfect for a visit in Luxor. You have the city centre right across the Nile, and you are 10 minutes away from Valley of the kings and the famous temples. It is small and cosy, but it's got all you need: Swimming pool, rooftop restaurant and a bar. Also there is a small internet cafe. I usually stay in a flat but if you are there just for a few days, Gezira Garden is the right place.

The staff is amazing. You really feel at home. The location is great. Away from the city stress of the East bank, and very close to the Nile.

• Related to: Family Travel, Archeology, Backpacking
  • Written May 22, 2007
Tip Photo

A pool is a great thing to have

• pepe27 profile photo pepe27
  • Reviews: 1

Happy Land Hotel: Excellent budget hotel

PROS:
I paid 55 Egyptian Pounds per night, for a single room (with a double bed), a private bathroom, and a generous breakfast each morning (cereal, milk, lemonade, fruit salad with crepes, bread, jam, butter, and coffee).

My rooms came with mosquito coils, soap, two decent sized towels, AC, and toilet paper. A nice thing about this hotel is I got fresh sheets, and towels every day.

Although the hotel is not licensed, you can drink beer/wine in your own room.

There's a restaurant located on the roof terrace. It's pricey, but some of the meals are amazing. Try the club sandwhich, it'll leave your mouth watering. Neat thing about the restaurant is if it's a cool night, or you just want to eat by yourself, you can take your dishes down to your room (provided you return the plates when you're done).

There are two very handy maps of Luxor in the lobby. It would be nice if the Hotel offered small paper versions of those maps, to make it easy to navigate around town.

Front desk service is friendly, albeit some of them are pretty sweet-alkers, and they'll try to convince you to book a tour through the Hotel. My advice is if you like to bargain, and you’re no stranger to haggling, you'll find better deals where the donkeys and feluccas are actually located. Group rates, however, are best done through the hotel.

In any case, if you ask the front desk, they'll tell you what you should be paying for ferries, for museums, and for taxis (and at that they are very honest and knowledgeable).

Many nationalities use this hotel. When I stayed, there was a French woman, a couple of Germans, an Australian, some Scandinavians, a Japanese and some Chinese tourists.

Laundry service was pretty cheap for me. I did a huge load for 14EL.

Also, if your train/flight leaves late in the day (i.e. past noon, which is checkout time), you can leave your bags in a room on the terrace & you can take a free shower in the evining. There was no charge for this service.

What I loved about this hotel was how they let me take a shower, even after I had checked out of the hotel. That was real nice of them. I checked out on Sunday, but my train didn't leave till 9pm. They let me keep my luggage in a storage room, and take a shower, and it was all free!

Another decent thing, especially for groups, are the tours. The more people who join the tour, the cheaper the fare. It beats having to haggle...I opted to go on my own and regretted it later on...

As stated in my review, the maps in the lobby are excellent. If only they could offer those maps to guests...that would make things so much better.

• Related to: Singles, Study Abroad, Budget Travel
  • Written March 8, 2007
Tip Photo

This is the rooftop/terrace restaurant.

Sort by: Most recent | Most helpful