Mercure Luxor

Expedia.com Booking.com Venere.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

• Kaysta's Profile Photo

Great hospatality

The hotel is situated over the road from the Nile, you can actually see the luxury cruise ships from here. It is located in the centre of town, so ideally situated for Luxor Temple, Luxor Museum and Karnak Temple. I didn't actually sleep at this hotel, but when we arrived to Luxor we were shown to this hotel as we were eating here. We ate a lovely buffet lunch where the waiters and waitresses were very helpful and polite.

I then ventured to look around the hotel, leading out to the pool, it was extremely hot outside so didn't spend much time outside. The pool and loungers were very busy - the pool wasn't huge but seemed enough space for a swim. It seemed very clean and had many guests. I often said, i'd love to see what the rooms were like because the enterance, bars and pool looked beautiful.

After we visited Karnak Temple it was only around 5 pm so we was brought back to this hotel until we were been picked up for our flight at 8.30 pm. We decided to eat here and had a lovely italian meal outside by the pool. In total we had two meals with chips, a beer and fresh orange and it came to a total of 110 egyptian pounds which is approximately £11 bargain! It was lovely too. I must say the setting was lovely and peaceful as we ate our meal by the pool.

After the meal, i went to the hotels bar which were quite and had a pool table from what i can remember. After this i decided to go to the outside tables and watch Luxor go by, obviously accompied with a Shisha pipe! The gentleman who served us was very polite and often asked if everything was ok.

The hotel has four bars and four restaurants, and also holds 314 rooms, 8 suites.

All in all i was very pleased by the look of this hotel, it was well decorated and the staff were excellent.

• Crowe's Profile Photo

MERCURE LUXOR

booked in for a four night stay with a Nile view room in late Jan 2007.

The hotel room was grotty and not very clean and stinked of cigarette smoke. I immediatey checked out and stayed at the sheraton which was better quality and cheaper!

I will say I have been to this hotel 5 years before and I found it to be excellent for a budget hotel. To be fair this time was in a different annex of the hotel so I cant say for sure if the hotel quality had dropped that much.

Very dissapointed considering its central location, which in my opinion is its one remaining asset.

• Meritaten's Profile Photo

Friendly, clean hotel

Lovely hotel set on the corniche El Nil, central to most amenities and practically next door to the wondeful Luxor Museum. Good choice of restaurants and there is a buffet breakfast served every morning.
    Rooms are wondefully clean and the maid is in every day to clean the room.

Unique Quality: Book a room with a nile view, you might pay a supplement, but it provides you with the most wondeful views accross the West Bank. Also the balconies are sun traps so when you don't feel like going out you can still sunbathe on the balcony!!
    Pool is excellent although you have to go early to get a sunbed as these prove to be very popular.

Directions: On the Corniche, near to Luxor Museum

• chigna's Profile Photo

beautiful but souless

As you walk in the lobby, you are met by a mass of cool marble and very good airconditioning. There is a large seating area on your left and the entrance to the bar on the right. further back is the reception desk and the coffee/snack bar and door to the rather nice pool which has a volley ball net. the accommodation does not live up to the rest of the hotel but is more than adequate, if a little tired, and very clean.
    we were lucky enough to be given a nile view room at no extra cost but it was over the bar and if we came home before 11pm we had to suffer/enjoy the vocal talents of a local female singer doing her versions of britney spears and other great american singers....
    some of the rooms are in a block behind the hotel.
    overall the hotel was nice but very large and impersonal. we never got to know the staff as there were so many and the dining room for breakfast (where a chef will cook your eggs anyway you want) was vast and so the oppotunity to talk to other guests was limited. we never tried the hotel disco but heard rumours it was always empty.
    the main gathering place for families was the pool...great for organising mass trips at greater redunctions with the local guides.

Unique Quality: see above

Directions: opposite the nile

More about Mercure Luxor

Shokran, Shokran

by TripAdvisor Member Transnational

My husband and I originally stayed at the Mercure in May 2004. We were there for one week, the first week being spent on a cruise ship. The ambience of the hotel was lovely, the staff were friendly and efficient and the rooms clean and comfortable. We stayed there again in March this year, again as part of a cruise/stay holdiay.

Whilst everyone is entitled to their own opinions, I feel that those who have commented on this hotel in the negative, did not stay there long enough to realise what a lovely place it is. Granted the rooms are in some need of redecoration, but no-one spends that much time in them. The bed linen is changed every day and the air conditioning works and in that heat it is most appreciated. We have stayed in 5* hotels throughout the world, but we really love the Mercure, so much so that we are returning again this month (November). Imshallah, it will not be our last time.

Splendid Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member libragirl.Jen

I have stayed at the Mercure Hotel many times. I just love the place. The location is top!!! With Luxor Temple just 5 mins walk and overlooking the Nile. The rooms are basic, but spacious, cleaned and changed on a daily basis. Excellent variety of restaurants and food to suit all ages and budget. The staff are helpful and friendly. always willing to please.This gives the place a very relaxing and welcoming atmosphere. At the front of the hotel you will find a large tiled terrace. Here you can un-winde, read a book or talking about the sites you have visited. The pool area has recently been refurbished with beautiful well kept lawns. There is a small shopping mall with about 6-7 shops. Handy if you fancy a bar of choc whilst soaking up the sun.

I am sure my husband and I will be coming here for many more years. Perhaps with grandchildren.

Regards Jen and Phil

A brilliant place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member JayandCee

My wife and I have just returned from 7 nights in the mecure hotel and i have to say it is a brilliant place to stay. The location is excellent, the staff are really friendly, and are always eager to help. The pool area is really well maintained, and they even provide you with free towels!

The room i stayed in was a little tired and could have benefited from a coat of paint but everything was very clean and we also had a nile view, so we couldn't complain...

i would definitely recommend this hotel.

do not confuse this hotel with the mercure inn, which looked like it was about to be bulldozed, and i wasn't sure if it was actually open.

Beware the Duck a l'Orange!

by TripAdvisor Member travelhopefulBristol

Stayed here after a week's cruise. The hotel is in a really good position. The staff were very good, the hotel communal areas were clean, pool really good and well maintained. The room was a bit tired and could do with a new bathroom. (Other guests said the same). It didn't get cleaned the whole week, just towels and sheets were changed. We spent an exorbitant amount in the French Restaurant for a special dinner. My husband and I ate the same things all day except in the evening when I had steak and he had duck. I was fine, he spent the next day and a half with food poisoning. I know almost everyone has an upset stomach in Egypt but this was a bit too exact to be anything but the duck, so beware! All in all, a really good trip and I would go back again.

OK especially if traveling with kids- But check your room before you settle in.

by TripAdvisor Member ChitownMomma

We stayed overnight between a Nile River Cruise and returning to Cairo. The first rooms they gave us had the sanitary seal over the toilet, but someone had used it and had not flushed. We complained and immediately got moved to different rooms.
The rooms are tired looking, but they had a very nice pool and activities for the kids (sand art, ping pong). We had no problem with the food, but we ate from the buffet.

Comments