El Sahabi Street, via Karnak Temple St, Luxor, 4114, Egypt

HostelBookers.com Expedia.com Hostelworld.com

• June.b's Profile Photo

A charming surprise.

Exiting the train station in Luxor, I took a long walk to the hotel I chose few days before, took me about 15 minutes of walks and couple of inquiries from people on the streets in finding the hotel. But when I reached the hotel, I changed my mind because I calculated that it's a fair distance or a long walk to the two temples. Yeah, I've seen the building of the hotel has balconies so may be a good view of the Nile, then again, I followed my instinct - I may be wrong on this but I don't want to stay away from the centre this time, I was so tired in Aswan. So walked away and search for my second choice which is located just in front of the avenue of the Sphinx ( as I've seen from google map the night before). This time I took a taxi, cost me only EGP5, with a hard haggle.

I reached the place, entered the small alley or lane called Al Sahaby Lane which is not actually just a lane but a restaurant lane. And went in the lobby/reception of the Nefertiti Hotel. I didn't expect much after staying in Aswan, thought I got the feel of budget hotel standards in Egypt, but I was wrong.

I called this hotel actually the night before along with my first choice, and I was requesting for a room facing the Luxor temple and a guy there said, yeah it's available, but no, it ain't or I had this feeling there're no rooms facing the road where the Luxor temple is. Just maybe, I never found out though.

The somewhat uninterested reception guy checked me in to the room at the floor just above the ground (1st, that is). At first, I was a bit disappointed as the room is small and there's no view, though there is a balcony, it's facing the obstructed view of the restaurant along Shalaby Lane down below which I found out to be owned by the hotel.

Ok the room was small, the toilet/shower is likewise very small that at first I can't figure out how I could take a shower there. It's like, it's a toilet and they just decided to put a shower on it at a later stage. The basin for brushing my teeth is outside the toilet and inside the room which is very common in budget hotels in Europe (found one or two in Amsterdam). But here's the deal, when I slept, the following day somehow I got comfortable with the room. I looked at the details -- nice arabic lamps on the walls, vanity mirror, neat bed albeit single, nice double curtains, nice basic furnishings, and I found the red or maroon floor tiles to add or bring about a nice ambience to the room, looks like mediterrenean ceramic tiles. There's a TV with english news, a small working fridge and the aircon is new so working properly.

Not noisy at all, except for the arabic musical instrument that actually gave me a good sleep coming from the restaurant below. The room really grew on me overnight. I found it charming. The toilet shower maybe small (and I suggest they fix a soap/shampoo/toothbrush holder on the wall and it's perfect) yet it's so clean. I would also suggest to put a small stool infront of the vanity mirror.

The staff are working hard, they make-up the room everyday and change the towels daily too.

Small room with small toilet but the charm is there. I didn't expect much and the hotel's website photos do not justify the actual room. I was surprised that it's better in actual.

The breakfast is on the rooftop - 4 or 5th floor? - with a good view of the Luxor temple and a bit of the Nile, very minimal - coffee, bread, butter and jam, cereals and a small green banana, nothing exciting but just sitting there for the view is serenity.

Wifi in the room is a plus, and it's raining toilet tissues, the cleaning staff keeps on adding toilet papers everyday! Those small things keeps a guest's stay very comfortable.

Young smiling staff. The reception guy in the morning named Khalid is genuinely nice and so is the other guy with him I didn't ask the name though, I think he manage (owner?) the place --- except (not really a complaint, just worth mentioning I guess) for the night reception guy, the same guy who checked me in who I did not see smile not for one moment ( I asked his name and he said -- Dheir or sounds like that), he may need a little courtesy or customer-orientation training, not rude really just uninterested -- most other staff are very courteous, especially the young lady who cleaned my room during my entire stay.

It's inherent in me, I'm a low profile, not that I keep, but I just am, so they might not instantly remember me -- but I want to thank them, I had a wonderful time in Luxor and felt so comfortable in their place. I highly recommend this hotel when in Luxor, perfect location -- Luxor temple a minute walk or less, Karnak temple EGP5 pounds away by taxi or caleche and the ferry pier to the westbank is 5 to 10-minute walk.

Single room I stayed at costs EGP120 with the small breakfast. Internet on the rooftop too is at EGP5 per hour.

...and Khalid, I know it isn't much, but I hope you gave that young lady who cleans my room the tip. ;-) I'll be back am sure...soon.

Unique Quality: Budget, charming, clean and near to everything.

Directions: beside the Luxor Temple

• urariotalice's Profile Photo

queen nefertiti

great hotel in the middle of madness..truly luxor is different.....this hotel has great cleaning staff...rooms spotless.....from the front door you enter the market...oh my!!..lol...a lot of street noise from the car horns and the market...BUT really a great place to stay

Directions: luxor can be done in one day.....valley of the kings/queens is a waste of time..no cameras allowed...all this can be seen at the cairo museum

• JohnniOmani's Profile Photo

Simple but Great

Budget hotels are everywhere in Luxor but quality ones have to be found and this one defines budget hotel. It is a simple hotel but the rooms and bathrooms are spotless and the rooms have small attached bathrooms. The rooms also have AC and double beds. The roof terrace has great views over the West Bank and the top floor loung has pool tables and a sat TV. The breakfast is great and this place has a steady stream of backpackers and for good reason.

Unique Quality: The rooftop lounge and clean rooms.

Directions: btw Sharia al Karnak and Sharia as Souq

• Sambawalk's Profile Photo

Nice hotel with great roof top view

The management is friendly in general. Once I arrived, they started selling the package day tour to Valley of Kings and other tombs for 180 EGP per person.

I stayed in Room No. 308 for 45 EGP Single and 60 EGP for double (May 2006). The room is clean with hot water shower. There is a balcony in the room. Nice. The air conditioner works and I need it every nite. The room rate included breakfast which is served on the roof top and can view the temple of Luxor and the west bank from there. Good location and good room rate. You can walk to the jetty where you take the local ferry (1 EGP for foreigner, 0.25 EGP for local) to go across the Nile. See more pics fro room view and roof top view.

Directions: Off Sharia al-Karnak, where near the police station and the old bus ticket office in town.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

Nefertiti Hotel

Nefertiti Hotel is located near Luxor Temple and the bus station. The hotel is nice with English speaking, and helpful, staff. Breakfast is served on the roof and from there you can see the Nile.
    In the room the big bed was comfortable, there was a bathroom and a small balcony, and a fan. Even though the hotel is located in the centre it is in a quiet place on a side street. I can’t remember, but I paid 30 or 35 pounds for the single room.

There are two computers on the top floor and it cost 5 pounds to use them an hour. I did so once, but other times they were not working properly and I went to the Internet Café next doors.

Directions: Near Sharia al-Karnak