New Pola Hotel Luxor

Budget Travel Historical Travel Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
See Amenities
martizhen8's Profile Photo

Avoid at all costs!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 3, 2008

I am writing this from the relative luxury of the Sonesta St George Hotel in Luxor. My wife and I had booked a 3 and a half week stay at the New Pola Hotel, we had read the reviews which were, for the most part, fine. Oh, what a mistake we made......We stuck it for 8 days and left, we should have left much sooner of course.

What happened? Ok. About 4 days into our stay they started construction work in the hotel, adding an new lift, the noise from about 7.30am was unbearable. Smashing, banging, smashing, banging.......unreal. There wasn't even a "sorry about the noise" from reception. The reception and lobby were coated in dust from all the building work. We captured the unbelievable noise on our digital camera, we might try to upload it onto VT if we can.

Then there was the pool...it's tiny but looked fine so in I jumped, it wasn't...scum all around the sides and dead flies and "stuff" floating in it. The next day I broke out in some reddish rash, on my head, body, neck...went to a doctor who said it was a skin disease that could be due to "polluted water"....just great. I am still recovering from that.

The air-conditioning.....first of all, definetly not cool enough, it only went as low as 17 celcius. Then it would stop and start, stop and start......not what you want when it's so hot, and I mean, HOT!

The phone in the room didn't work, told them, never fixed, no surprise there.

I sat on a plastic chair on the balcony, it broke and I nearly split my head open on the tiles.....

I never ate the breakfast there, the last morning I did. Within a couple of hours I had diarrhea.

The tv is the smallest I have ever, and I mean ever, seen...and it's wall mounted and the tv reception is terrible.

If you are going to buy water, beer, chocolate or whatever be careful as you'll give x ammount to be told they have no change....so you either don't get change, don't buy what you need or buy more than you need to!

There is no bar, the restaurant is grim.

This is just to warn people, we made the mistake of staying there and we really regret having done so. If you want to ruin your holiday then do by all means stay at the New Pola Hotel but if you want an enjoyable holiday then definetly don't go near the place!

Unique Quality: None

Directions: Between Iberotel and the Sonesta St George Hotel, on the left hand side coming from downtown.

kentishgirl's Profile Photo

Budget Hotel on the Nile

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 17, 2007

The New Pola Hotel isnt exactly a Budget Hotel, I guess its more of a mid range hotel, but they always have specials and things on so it will be cheaper!

For Us, staying in proper budget hotels through the Middle East, when we arrived at the New Pola Hotel for us it was like luxury.

The Reception area is marble floor and large and spacious, the hotel is set on the main road from which you can see Nile, and its an easy walk into Luxor for all of your needs.

Unique Quality:
Our Room in the New Pola boasted its own large Marble Bathroom, a huge balcony overlooking the river, a decent sized spacious room with a TV.

When we had bought Alabaster Figurines from the shop and left them out in our room, the cleaning lady did towel displays and incorporated them into the displays every day !!! (So Cute!)

Nearby New Pola Hotel Luxor

• Continental Breakfast
  • Room Service
  • Bar / Lounge

Luxor Travel Forum

Need advice about Luxor, Egypt? Visit the Travel Forum for Luxor and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Luxor hotel reviews