Khaled Ibn el Walid Street, Luxor, Egypt

Value Score Great Value!

Costs about the same, but rated 11% higher than other 3 star hotels

• chrissyms's Profile Photo

Simple but Fun

The St Joseph was a good valued hotel, clean with excellant staff and a friendly ambiance throughout. Unlike some of the big named places this family run hotel made your stay pleasant. Food was good and the bars informal and freindly. We stayed in for entertainment one night and had a great Egyptian evening non of the guests could fail to have a good time.

Unique Quality: Roof garden and pool with views over the Nile.

• shelnlin's Profile Photo

The Most Fantastic views of the Nile

This Hotel is wonderful if you want to get a great shot of the Nile river from a distance. Each room is supposed to have views of the River and the room we stayed in most certainly did, in fact the views were fantastic as the picture shows. Owned and operated by a Christian Egyptian this Hotel seemed very popular with families, tour groups and people like us who just walked off the street.

Unique Quality: The lovely thing about this Hotel is that the views it has from the rooms really are second to none. The rooms are all very clean and tidy and the service I had from one my cleaner of my room was wonderful. Although Yohana spoke very little English and my Arabic was next to nothing at that time, we managed to get along very well and he was a delightful person to meet during my stay in Luxor. He and the Doorman at my Hotel in Cairo made my stay in Egypt that little bit more enjoyable.

The only disadvantage I found with this Hotel was the lack of a living area where I could relax before retiring to my room. There is a seating area as you walk into the Hotel but I guess I had been a bit spoilt after having heaps of room at the Victoria Hotel in Cairo (another Hotel that I can reccomend). This hotel has a lovely roof top pool, a nice basement style bar and it puts on great entertainment at Christmas time from the snake charmer to the belly dancer. It is within easy walking distance from the Corniche and there is no real need for a taxi unless you want to take a day trip out to visit the Valley of the Kings. This Hotel has a few Taxi drivers hanging around the Hotel all ready to bounce on you when you step foot out of the Hotel so be prepared for that if you come and stay here. Just ignore them!

• joolssss's Profile Photo

Luxors best cheap and cheerful hotel

We stayed here for 2 weeks in the heat of summer. Rooms fully airconditioned, cleaned daily. Close to everything really in Luxor, the most it ever cost us to get anywhere on a horse n cart was 1 egp! ( we didnt always walk as had elderly lady with us!) Food always great, we were there half board and food was always good, and plenty of it.

Unique Quality: Towels put in cute little poses every day to amuse the kids! Pool on top of roof great for letting the kids swim in while we sat next to them and ordered food and drinks from the bar while looking over the river Nile, truly spectacular. People very very friendly and they loved the kids

Directions: near sonesta st george and only 1 egp away from Luxor temple!

• Friendly and hospitable

I have stayed at the St Joseph a number of times, its a pretty basic hotel, but rooms are very clean and most of them have wonderful views of the Nile. The rooftop pool is small, but good, and they serve the best Burger in Luxor!
    Happy hour in the basement bar is always worth a visit.
    Staff are friendly and helpful, and because it is small, they very quickly get to know their guests on a personal level.
    Highly recommended if you arent looking for 5 star

Directions: In a quieter area of town, not exactly peaceful though. Close to the new Meridien and the Sonesta St George.

• chigna's Profile Photo

A small but friendly place

A small but family run hotel with 7 floors and a small pool on the roof.
    The rooms are basic but very clean and comfortable. The staff are all friendly and some of the room attendants do towel sculptures.
    It is just off the nile and the the views from the roof top bar/pool and beautiful. As it is off the 'main drag' the hassle factor outside is much less. Only a couple of taxis and caleche drivers who you get to know. Also, local buses run past and it is easy to get to the main tourist area by asking 'Macdonalds'? and all for 25 pst.....lol

Unique Quality: Although the pool is small, its position on the roof makes it cooler than ground level pools and the views are amazing. There are 2 restaurants serving good food and 2 bars serving alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks and cocktails. There is a disco in the basement. Because of its size, you get to know the staff and any problems are dealt with immediatly. i would thoroughly recommend it for the family or budget traveller.

Directions: Opposite Club Med

More about Saint Joseph Hotel

St Joseph hotel

by Soili about St Joseph hotel in Luxor

I haven't yet been there, but I have booked St Joseph through a travel agency in my local area. I did so being very well aware that I will be made to pay very high price for my booking. I will be having breakfast every morning at the hotel, and I will look into having a meal there now and then - without having paid for it beforehand at home. If I don't succeed with it, I will create many tips of places to eat in and around Luxor. It has been mentioned that there will be a pool on the roof. That I will look into as soon as I get to the hotel. It will be interesting to see where they're palcing me, a lone female traveller - will have a spacious or a tiny room for myself? will there be a balcony -or do I need to fight for it? I hope not.

what a great hotel

what can i say about the st joseph hotel ,it is the most amazing hotel for the star rating it has people say its 3* its more of a 4* , the staff are so friendly and will do there utmost to help you in anyway possible . i stayed here 17/05/06 - 24/05/06 my friend and i booked it a a cheap holiday £214 7nt b&b inc ins on arriving we were greeted by porters (big up samson) who carried your cases to your room , the rooms are very clean and comfortable with tv air con bath/shower with good spacous balcony with overlook the nile . the rooms are cleaned daily to a good standard.
the restaurant downstairs has a great bargain for you £29 for 6 x 4 course ala cart meals and they are the most amazing meals all cooked to a good standard .
the downstairs bar ( issac sort your tricks out ) very friendly staff who will keep you drinking as long as you want .
the rooftop bar is a wonderful place to sit during the lazy days you have , irt serves good food and drinks . the pool is pretty small but its a great place to cool off from the heat .
if you go you must go round the corner to shadey jewellery and meet immet he makes a great cup of tea , he took us to seee his cousins wedding ,what an amazing thing it was .
all in all i cant say anything bad about it as its the best place ive stayed and will be going back very soon and i recommend it to anybody

Great Budget hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Travelling-Kiwi2

We stayed at the St Joseph for three nights just before Easter and were truly amazed at how clean the place was - both inside and out. Our room was very comfortable and we had a balcony and lovely view of the Nile. An excellent breakfast is served and the waiting staff are very friendly, although the sample of meals we had for lunch was disappointing and we chose not to eat at the restaurant at night. The roof top bar is excellent with wonderful views, although the pool area is quite cramped. We found the staff to be very professional but those on the desk were not very friendly. Also, as independent travellers, we were disappointed that they were not able to give us basic advice, such as the price for local taxis or details on the train schedule to Aswan, let alone book train tickets for us.

It is only a 10-15 walk into town and it is nice to be out of the chaos of downtown Luxor. The St Joseph is a wonderful place to retreat to at the end of a busy, hot day of aggressive tourism in Luxor, and is excellent value for money.

Best hotel i've stayed at.

I have always wanted to go to Egypt, my mum booked this holiday for June 2005. As soon as we arrived we were greeted by friendly helpful staff & shown to our room. If the staff could do anything for you they would. I even leanrt Arabic from the waiters and the reception staff. this hotel is the best hotel I have ever stayed in. So much so we are going back in June this year. I would stay at St.Josephs every year if I could.

Basic, but clean.

by TripAdvisor Member Moir

Between the 7th – 14th December 2005 we stayed in St Joseph’s. The accommodation was basic, but clean and comfortable. The staff seems friendly but somewhat slightly overfriendly towards the end of our stay in their eagerness to get a tip. We weren’t impressed by the buffet breakfast and even less impressed by the dinner menu. The offer of six meals voucher at a discounted rate seems good until you look at the menu. The rooftop snack bar was OK, a bit limiting.

St Joseph Hotel , Luxor

by natashauk

Hi...Has anyone stayed at this hotel? any feedback?

RE: RE: St Joseph Hotel , Luxor

by natashauk

Hi there..

Thankyou for that information on both my questions, its very helpful.

RE: RE: St Joseph Hotel , Luxor

by Soili

Hello,
St Joseph Hotel was popular with British tourists some years ago. I have spent one week there. The hotel was shabby, but ok. The restaurant was good (no trouble there at all about the food). The staff was very young, and they knew only the basic phrases in English. The head of the restaurant knew English rather well so you can communicate with him.
But of ocurse you need to start somewhere in restaurant - that's why I liked the young people working there.
The hotel was very well guarded,The tourist police was constantly in the front of the hotel. There was a safe box for the money in the reception, too. Two people opened the safe for you. The hotel was located in a quiet place, not at all noisy neighbourhood. It seemed to be ordinary neighbourhood. Not in any way posh (and not posh looking hotel, either).
The rooms were clean, you had water every day - I remeber only one powercut (on New Year's Eve, maybe due to the large consumption of electricity).
It was an ok as a hotel.
regards, Soili in Finland