Domina Makadi Bay Hotel

Rated 20% lower than similarly priced 4 star hotels

More about Domina Makadi Bay Hotel

Edible but not enjoyable

by TripAdvisor Member notathomeDevon

We had not booked this hotel as using trip adivisor had plumped for the Primasol Beach Albatros. However what you get is not always what you choose. Arrived at Primasol to find we were overbooked and were sent to Domina Makaidi. Staff were helpfull after some mix up, and generally staff good. Rooms great , very clean, large beds, bottled water every day. All inclusive drinks varied quality at different bars. Reception bar being the best. Food, well shame,, had brought mother (for her 80th birthday) wanted a bit of luxury. Breakfast was quite good, varied, however rest of it very low standard. yes you could eat it but for a 4/5 star hotel not at all what i have experienced at other 4/5 stars. Looked forward to the Italian for a change, what a dissapointment. Father in law could not eat his Veal, no atmosphere in the resturant and WHAT no pudding for mother.
Facilities, all we wanted was easy access to the reef, again thats why we chose Primasol, you dont get easy access here at the Domina. I did manage to get into the sea and across the reef one day, the coral and fish beautiful but fear factor trying to get out meant i would not try again.
I would not recomend this hotel, which is a shame as faults could be put right should the management take note of our comments.
Improve the food, English expect a little more Al la carte for 4/5 star... build a jetty so that we can access the sea safely . Oh educate your guests so that they do not leave all their plastic refuse over the coral.

Nice dive club - Shame about the hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member Howard54

I have just returned from a trip to the Domina Makardi Bay Hotel in Hurgada with my local diving club, and whilst I cannot recommend the site dive club highly enough, the hotel itself left a lot to be desired.
The trip had been booked before I checked out earlier reviews on Trip Advisor, so certain aspects of the hotel were better than I had expected given some of the comments made. The food was better than expected, although at times warm rather than hot and lacked imagination, the pools and general cleanliness of the site were better than previously reported, and the rooms were always clean with bottled water provided.
On the negative side, despite several complaints, the first hot shower I enjoyed was on day seven out of eight. The water was tepid at best and lacked pressure. The only comfortable place to sit in a communal area was the reception/bar area which was not nearly large enough given the size of the hotel and lack of places to visit nearby. There was very little to do on the hotel site for non-divers and the entertainment in the evenings was amateur and took place in a draughty marquee - the entertainment team are to be applauded for their enthusiasm and hard work however!
The on-site Dive facility- PSI Dive Club - were excellent and more than made up for the shortcomings of the hotel. They were always friendly and helpful, their knowledge of the dive sites was very good, staff and lunches provided on board the dive boat could not be faulted, and they went the 'extra mile' in catering for ALL members of our club including the provision of a replacement wheelchair for one member when his chair became faulty. The club building was small and basic with clean toilets, and the the dive boat was only a few minutes away by minibus. A bonus at the end of the week was that all our diving kit was transported to the club building, washed thouroughly and hung out to dry by the club staff. All we had to do was collect it the following day. How good is that?
One minor irritation was that there was no facility to pay by card as 'cash only' was accepted. This may put potential customers off booking but no doubt will be rectified in the future.
In conclusion; would I visit the hotel again? The answer has to be a definite no, particularly if there were non-diving family or friends in the group.
Would I use PSI Dive Club again? Most certainly. They were excellent!

Dreadful

by TripAdvisor Member angelinabalerina

Just returned from 2 weeks at this awful hotel. The food was the same everyday and everynight, if u wanted an alternative to pasta, rice and chicken, you could go to beach bar and have a pick of 2 items off the 8 item menu, because they permanantly ran out. Evening entertainment was 1 guy singing same songs everynight. The grounds are in very poor condition. Felt like a pest going up to the bar because waiters made you feel like that, wouldnt serve the children, had few arguments with staff regarding this. If my children hadnt of met other children to play with i think we would of come home early. Wouldnt mind but we didnt even book this hotel, had to be moved because our hotel had overbooked the rooms. Being at this hotel completely ruined our holiday.

Great for losing weight!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member KentSmifffy

We had booked into this hotel for a chilled out fortnight but didnt expect to be stranded in the middle of a desert. Couldnt walk along the beach littered with lumps of concrete and too far out to get past reef without cutting feet to bits. Would help if there could be a small jetty. Staff were very helpful and friendly, rooms very clean - bottles of water were supplied daily. What let the hotel down very badly was the restaurant food and beach bar food. It was never hot and no real variety unless you liked pasta and rice it is a good place to come and lose weight!! Would help if you could speak russian or german as there were very few english people there. If you want to join in any activities the animation team would not speak to you if you were english. Food presentation was not good and before we left the very few english people that we met all rallied round and left the manager with numerous complaints. The feeling is nothing would be done. Beware with all inclusive - they take your wristbands at midday and if you are not leaving till the evening you are expected to pay for everything. Our tip - dont go!!

Don't go!

by TripAdvisor Member angiebing

We booked this holiday then read the reviews on Trip Advisor. I was dreading going.

We arrived at the hotel at midnight - after arriving at the airport at 9.30pm - we were on the coach waiting for others then took ages dropping people off. There was no food for us so the last meal we had eaten was the one on the plane hours previously. We did ask for food as advised by the rep on the coach but it was not forthcoming.

As others have commented the place itself was not too bad - rooms very spacious and cleaned every day. We had clean sheets and towels every day. We had to ask a couple of times for our water but it did appear once we had approached the reception desk.

The food was appalling. Breakfast was good - can't go too far wrong with boiled eggs bread rolls pancakes etc but I must agree that mashed potato for breakfast is not very appetising. Lunchtime we ate at the beach bar which was a slight improvement on the restaurant. I never knew you could serve rice in so many different ways - even Russian rice for breakfast!! It was difficult to see what they had put in the salads - I didn't recognise most of the items. Meat was in short supply most evenings altho 1 night I hit lucky and they brought out some whole roast chickens as I was looking trying to decipher what was in the dishes. Thank goodness for bread rolls as I practically lived off them for the fortnight.

We spent most of our days on the beach by the sea water lake and it was peaceful and relaxing down there away from the Russians and Polish at the pool bar who were very ignorant and just pushed in front of us at the bars and demanded attention.

I wouldn't reccomend this resort to anyone and I wouldn't return. We booked the holiday because it seemed like a good deal, we soon realised why.

If you are British do not go stay

by TripAdvisor Member dean_robert

YesI know we are just back from our 2 weeks of hell, but I wanted to let ALL Brits know that if you are used to or want a 5 Star Hotel this is not one. We were sold an all inclusive deal for 2 weeks but in our first 4 days we were looking for alternative Hotels. Sadly Hurghada was fully booked. The food is bland and tastless. Service amazingly slow and at times rude. One of the parties was vegetarian and after several requestes for at least a meal he could eat in their only A la Carte restaurant, it came served raw and with a shrimp sauce. Staff and Management had no conception about customer service. We had paid our package, they had their money and they were happy. Please DO NOT go stay here. It will give you a bad taste of what I have heard Egypt can offer. I could go on and on about the Hell hole but it annoys me. There were as well other Brits at the resort at time and they felt the same as us. Yes the majority of guests are Russian and they have a way and manner when on holiday.

Don't waste your money

by TripAdvisor Member stugallimore

I stayed here with my partner this summer and it was absolutely dreadful. With it being our 3rd and final week of our holiday after travelling around Egypt we wanted some nice time to relax. Little did we know what we were in for.
The rooms were ok- not amazing but clean enough. The accommodation itself was set out in what they called 'villas' but what actually felt like council blocks. Not really what you'd expect from a 5*.
The grounds of the hotel were huge and the place has a lot of potential. But in reality it's grim, dirty and very concrete. The pools are a prime example of this, and despite there being what look like 3 nice pools in the photographs, what you actually get is 3 very unkept and dirty pools. My partner and i didn't dip into the pools once for fear of what we might catch. Then there's the beach...you actually have to wade through ages of hard dead coral and rocks to be able to reach the water and so, again, we stayed away from the sea. With this and the huge gaps between all of the paving stones, the hotel is just one big health and safety hazard.
In terms of entertainment there isn't really a lot. There are a few rubbish pool bars, but unless you enjoy sitting around on plastic chairs drinking from vending machine cups, then i could hardly call it a nice place to relax. The musicians are also very catered towards the Russians and Poles who dominate the place.
Then comes the worst thing and that's the food. One main canteen caters the whole complex, and we sometimes found ourselves queueing to be able to sit anywhere. Once you're inside, the food served was never hot and always of poor quality. I found myself living off bread rolls for the time that i was there. Also, if you like your meat then i probably wouldn't go here.The portions were so stingy, they wouldn't serve a small child.
We expected to come to a place in the middle of nowhere, and this it certainly is, but at least if you can't get away from it, it should be of a reasonable standard. My advice is to just not go and don't waste your money. We ended up transferring to the Pyramisa Sahl Hasheesh which was fantastic.

Diving...the only good thing

by TripAdvisor Member SUGARCANDY

Looking forward to a 5 star holiday, wow, how wrong could we get!
The only release from this hovel, was to go out for the day on a dive boat. This came as a welcome release to us and a chance to have some enjoyable,edible fresh food!
We were told by the hotel on the welcome meeting, not to go and book dives with the dive school on site, as they are doddgy!
Good job we didn't listen, they were a professional, friendly team. They couldn't do enough to help us. The three days we dived with them, each time a different area, and with only 5 to 8 people on board maximum.
At the end of each day of diving our hearts would sink, knowing what we had to face back at the hotel.
I am just so pleased we were only there for one week, it was just so depressing.
DON'T GO!!

what a shame

by TripAdvisor Member ronaldoNuneaton

The hotel has pretty good facilities,for sunbathing,and swimming in the pools,which were extremely cold in december. However to swim in the private beech,you had to hire beech shoes, because of the coral, To get to the water,you had to walk a very long way out, before getting sufficient water to be able to swim. The apartments are away from the hotel, they are lovely apartments, very clean,and we were very happy with them. However the hotel food wasn,t the best , and the dining room was like a works canteen in England. The reception area in the hotel, was also the hotel lounge, with wicker sofa,s and chairs, and very low glass tables,the most people able to sit around these tables was five or at a push six? There was outside entertainment, a DJ playing records, but it was too cold in the evening to sit outside. Would i go back? "no i would not

not a good holiday

by TripAdvisor Member jassalm70

Definitely not a five star hotel as claimed. Three star at the most. Terrible service. The food is just OK but again the service is of the lowest standards.
No possiblity to see the coral without getting hurt. You have to walk through the sharp edged corals to jump into water. Got hurt every time I tried swim in the sea.
I would never go back again to this hotel. Spoiled the whole fun with their atrocious service and customer care.

Domina Makadi Bay Resort

by elainemm

Hi, I'm going to Domina Makadi Bay Resort at Easter. Has anyone been and what's it like. Does anyone know how much it will cost for a taxi from airport to this hotel. Any information at all would be appreciated. Many thanks. Elaine.

RE: Domina Makadi Bay Resort

by kylie99

well ive just priced up a private transfer to makadi palace from hurghada $7.00 per person each way....cheap dont you think heres the site www.magicaljourneys.com

sharm or other destination (end october)

by biondo71

hello from italy.
me and a friend of mine are thinking of goind to sharm or other place the end of this month.
first of all, is it a good period?
i was in sharm last year, in june and was in domina coral bay. it was nice, but too big and the formula was not all inclusive and spend more in extras than otehr things.
i am looking for a nice place, with a nice beach possibly with sand in the water and not immediately corals!
also, looking for international clients, possibly not too many families with screaming kids. age: 25-40.

do you have any good tips?!
thanks

RE: sharm or other destination (end october)

by lacegirl

I'll meet you there!!! (jpke!)

All inclusives are not in Naama bay, but further out.... depends what your budget is.

Sonesta Beach is nice, and is on the beach.

What about Delta Sharm... Self catering apartmetns - but you can buy a meal package...... that's what I do... send me a PM and I'll try to help!

RE: sharm or other destination (end october)

by swisssinai

At that time you will due to the holidays you will have quite a few British, Russian and I am sure other nationalites on family holidays due to school holidays, so most large hotels - especially those on the sandy beaches - may be pretty crowded. You could think of heading up to Dahab, Nuweiba or Taba Heights for more peace and quiet, though there are not so many Italian tour operators selling those three places.

Comments