Madinat Coraya. Marsa Alam, Marsa Alam, Egypt
Orbitz.com Travelocity Despegar.com

Costs 53% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Iberotel Lamaya Resort

Great time at the Lamaya.

by TripAdvisor Member wardell

My husband and I stayed at the Lamaya for one week 7th-14th Feb.Having read some of the prevous reports about pot noodles we wondered what we had let ourselves in for.We need not have worried this is a LOVELY hotel,very clean, friendly staff(always smiling and helpful.)The food was good,I am a fussy eater, but I found plenty to enjoy.The weather at this time of year was excellent in the 30s,but beware,there are jelly fish in the water and they do sting,like nettles. The dive shop hires out wet suits which help solve this problem.Quad biking in the mountains is a fantastic experience.Dont book it with your rep, book it at the desk of the health club and it will save you half the price.Phoneing home will cost you £3 a minute in the hotel,walk to the shops and buy a phone card for 20ep (£2) it will last about 3mins.The phonebox is on the wall of the shop.If you want to see how the locals live then take the shuttle bus to El Quiser,it takes about an hour.You can use your haggling skills to get yourself a bargain, althought the town looks like it comes from biblical times they do have electricity! The people are friendly,but be awareif you tell the shopkeeper that you will come back,and he says "promise" and you say" yes" then he will be looking for you and will be offended if you do not return.We had a great week at the Lamaya and will return ,as will most of the Brits we spoke to.We met some great people there Kim ,Jane and Carl. Mick, Chris and Sara.Hope to meet you all again .

Fitted the bill perfect

by TripAdvisor Member CSEngland

We stayed at the Iberotel Lamaya for 1 week from the 7th Febraury 2007.

Our party consisted of 4 adults, and my 8 yr old daughter.

We were after a relaxing bit of winter sun, did we get it, yes we did !

This place is fantastic, nothing is too much trouble. Staff are very friendly, and a small tip goes a long long way.

The pool area is large, and no problem finding a group of sunbeds for the day. 1 of the main pools is heated, which is lucky as the other one was very cold.

The food is good, but could get a bit repetitive if staying for 2 weeks, but this is the same at any other all-inclusive resort. We preferred the beach bar for dinner time where burgers, pizzas and hot dogs are served.

Transfer from Marsa Alam airport was about 7 minutes, and with being so close to the airport it is suprising that there is no aircraft noise at all

We stayed in a superior family room, which are large with a door seperating the 2 sleeping areas. The bathroom is a good size with a large walk in shower.

Evening entertainment is very limited, so take a pack of cards for the evening sat in the lobby bar.

Drinks were good, but not much choice on spirits. Have a beer at the pool bar which is served in a chilled glass out of the freezer.

Would we go again, yes without doubt.

Perfect for a relaxing week, but do not expect lively evenings.

5 star, I don't think so!

by TripAdvisor Member lori64

Returned from 2 weeks at Lamaya Resort early today. Had high expectations it wasn't long after arriving that we were disappointed. Herded through reception en masse rather than being treated as individual guests. Went to the only restaurant for dinner and it was okay, it was mostly okay for two weeks with some exceptions. Much of the food was cooked using too much salt and was virtually inedible, some times it was difficult to put together a meal from the strange array of dishes. Waiters would always try to clear the table of plates and glasses while we were still eating (20% occupancy meant they didn't have enough to do)
After dinner we could sit in the lobby for a drink( very limited range, no liqueurs, brandy etc)and again staff were quick to clear empty glasses but would not take orders for drinks. It simply wasn't what I have come to expect of a five star hotel.
I cannot fault the cleanliness of the bedrooms or public areas and the snorkelling was great most days. It did get quite windy and the sea got churned up. The sun is not strong and in the wind it can be very cold after 3.30pm
In summary I would not recommend the area at this time of year or this resort at all until they resolve the shortfall in the level of service which should be available in a 5 star resort

Take a Kettle & a Pot Noodle...!

by TripAdvisor Member Tartan_Totty

I stayed at The Lamaya for one week over New Year travelling in a group of four and we paid around £850 each for what we thought was five star all inclusive. We booked with Thomson Holidays and flew with Thomson Fly and where they get the "Five - T" rating from is, well, beyond me!

1. The Check-In at Gatwick...

All four of us booked and paid for an executive check-in but upon arrival at terminal 2 it seems Thomson had decided that facility was not going to be offered on 27 December. There were no representatives around to help so I politely interupted one of the check-in staff who was busy with a long line of passengers to ask what we should do - we were told to push to the front of any queue. This did not (for obvious reasons) bode well with the other people waiting to be checked-in as the whole Thomson check-in area was in Chaos. We ended up waiting like everyone else and Thomson are refusing to refund the money I paid as they claim there was an executive check-in there. Oddly enough they refunded the other two members of our group of four...! They also charged me for lounge access which I did not ask for, need or use.

2. The Flight...

We had booked and paid for extra legroom seats which were great and well worth it. We opted not to buy an in-flight meal with the intention of eating before we boarded but check-in took so long we didn't have time and they didn't have any of the hot snacks promoted in their brochure available on the outbound or inbound flights. The cabin crew were brilliant on both legs of the journey.

3. Arriving at Marsa Alam...

The airport is a military one, small but fairly well organised. When we picked up our pack from the Thomson rep outside the airport we realised we had been allocated as a party of two adults and two children instead of four adults (that would have made an interesting sleeping arrangement!) but we managed to sort this out no problem at the hotel.

4. Arriving at The Lamaya...

On approach, The Lamaya has a lovely reception and foyer but due to the amount of people who had arrived at the same time it was a bit of a free for all. We had to search for someone to show us to our room and were told our cases would follow on. They had kept the restaurant open an extra hour as our flight had been delayed which was good of them. I didn't pay too much attention to the luke warm food as we were late and after our dinner we had a few drinks in the bar. We headed back to our rooms just after midnight to find all our luggage "abandoned" in the hallway outside the room door, having been there over four hours - I had (wrongly) assumed as with other 5-star establishments that they might have opened the door and popped the cases inside.

5. The Beach/Weather...

It was pure bad luck we had arrived at one of the coldest weeks in Marsa Alam that anyone in the Dive Centre could remember. In fact the Dive Centre must have made a fortune that week as every other guest had purchased a fleece to keep warm. The wind was blowing at almost gale force all the time but the sun was still shining and if you built up a little "house-hut" on beach from the loungers and windbreakers it was possible to sit out (yeah okay - we were desperate but there was nothing else to do!). It was fine if you went everywhere on your hands and knees out of the wind!

There were copious amounts of loungers and wind breakers as the resort shares a bay with other resorts and they sweep right round. The last two days we were there the weather took a turn for the better but for some strange reason when we got to the beach, they had removed all the loungers! See the photo attached...

6. The Dive Centre...

Absolutely faultless. I had every intention of doing some diving but it was just too cold for me. Two other members of our group did a few dives and the Dive Centre is very well run with lots of dive options for all levels. Definite plus point for the resort.

7. The Food...

The whole time we were there the food in the restaurant just wasn't hot enough. The only hot meal you could be guaranteed was at breakfast if you opted for the freshly made omellettes which were fab. In the evenings this is your only choice of eaterie and although the selection was good, the quality was shocking. A lot of the chicken and fish dishes were frighteningly undercooked and in order to get some hot grub we used to loiter about until the waiters took out trays fresh from the kitchen but even these were only luke warm. And, I must say, I have never came across white tomato soup before?!

We ate at the beach restaurant at lunchtimes where everything was freshly prepared AND HOT!!! One day I opted for the "Mixed Seasonal Salad with your choice of Vinaigrette or Thousand Island Dressing" and I swear I almost wet myself laughing when I got it! Check out the photo I took of it as I got a plate of tomato and cucumber. And that was it. Thankfully I had also ordered a burger which was tasty but came with a huge portion on the side of... wait for it... tomato and cucumber!!! I got my weekly 5-a-day quota of veg in one sitting!

8. The Rooms...

They were clean and fine but really nothing outstanding and certainly not 5-star. Due to the cold weather outside they were also freezing (with a capital 'F' lol!). The AC unit at some point would have been capable of producing heat but I think this had been disabled. We did manage to improvise and shut the door from sleeping area to the rest of the room and plugged in my hairdryer, leaving it on it's side for 5 mins - this worked a treat!

Our shower could have been put to shame with a dripping tap - we took a video of it - if you want to see it and fancy a laugh let me know!

9. The Staff...

I was really disappointed with some of the staff. Apart from the "Talk to the face coz the chest aint listenin" factor (and I aint big busted by no means!), some of them, particularly in the bar at night were down right rude. The majority of the local spirits were undrinkable and you didn't have the option to purchase anything else - watch out for the Finland Vodka (nope, thats not the same as Finlandia) - I could take my Nail Varnish off with it! The Volga Vodka is okay (we aptly nick-named it Vulgar Vodka) but they are reluctant to give you that and get moody if you ask for it. The whisky is (I think) the Finland Vodka with a tea bag dipped in it for colour. The gin is just plain boggin!

One waiter refused to get tea or coffee one morning and when we asked him what the problem was it seems he was chucking a sulk as he had been left to work the area on his own that morning. All eight tables. Poor lamb...!

10. The Entertainment...

Well. Apart from the disco, the entertainment comprises of one guy - Hussan who does his best but it was priceless when nobody was dancing to see him shake his head with his head in his hands in despair. He actually cornered us at breakfast one morning to ask why we hadn't been dancing the previous night when we had the night before. There is only so much of the nightly "Bony M" medley one can cope with and if you dont know the actions to the Macarena or YMCA then you will after your visit to Lamaya!

All in all we were decidedly unimpressed with Lamaya. My tips would be if you have to go, pack a campers stove or a kettle and some pot noodles to get some hot grub.

Thomsons 5-T rating is an exageration to someone with even the best imagination and my own personal interpretation is;

Terrifically
Tepidly
Tasteless
Tucker

If you want real five star in the Red Sea, go to the Oberoi in Hurghada.

definately recommend

by TripAdvisor Member blackpoolb

Stayed at the lamaya for 2 weeks, middle feb this year. what can i say. 8 of us staying, age range 7 to 46. rooms v good, food good, entertainment a lot better than we expected, Omar and zico were outstanding as amimation staff go. if you didnt want to join in no pressure there. bar staff friendly especially Antar. pool v warm. 1 freezing though ha ha.we went on a few trips, luxor, camel safari and quad bikes all excellent, we booked those with thomson. we did book 1 trip on the beach to a bay not far away to see turtles and we were not disappointed.area v quiet and unspoilt as yet, go now as it wont stay that way for very long. diving centre a little off putting for a novice diver on own( learned in caribbean v small centres there) but ok. little disappointed in the beach and when we went it was jelly fish breeding season so thousands of them, they didnt really harm you but its a bit off putting. Definately recommend this hotel to anyone. This was my first time in egypt and i will definately go back. Down side the beach,( i have been to the caribbean a few times) and having to tip especially outside complex to go to the toilet etc - everyone expects. money wise take english and euros, get egyptian over there. anything else just e mail me on bradleyb06@hotmail.co.uk

Perfect In Every Way/ Top Notch

by TripAdvisor Member sue&mart

getting through the airport was so quick and from the airport to the lamaya was 7mins as its the first drop off, getting booked in was so smooth, we were asked to take seats in the loby bar and were brought drinks, we had already filled a small form in on the bus to the hotel. so it was a case of picking out your suit cases and then off to your room, the bags followed about two mins later,large spacious, spotless rooms,all with air con, could not fault. towel art every day.

it ranged from 30 to 34 degrees all week approx

there are two main pools,one which was heated to 32 degrees, which the heating has now been turned down as it is march,which is a good thing as it was like getting into a hot bath. this is where water polo is played. every nation joined in and was fantastic to see everone getting on, the larger main pool was cold but after jumping in you got used to it after a few seconds. their are a few steps into the pool at one end but be weary as they are a bigger drop than you expect. really refreshing though when its hot.

all the entertainment staff were fantastic, so friendly and honest people, when not getting you to participate they would sit and talk to you about anything, real caring people with pride in what they do.
volley ball, bowels,archery,water polo,water gymnastics,stretching, etc, a large veriety of activities for all ages . they then put on a show every night, which were fun to watch.except on a saturday which was there day off.
ther was a guy who would sing every night, he would sing a large range of easy listening songs, and would let you sing a song if he had the backing music. the english would always be left at the end and would get up dancing to him singing, it was a great atmosphere,just one thing, its what you make it, you can sit there bored and not get into the holiday spirit or you can get involved, ask for a song and dance and sing the night away with the singer as we all did.

we met other english couples whom we got on great with and ended up meeting with at night and also would have a bit of a banter round the pool,all of them were fantastic and will keep in cotact with them, "hello everyone wish we were all still there."

food was great, we had something different every night and was hot too, tip, have a quick look first in all the containers and decide what your having, then fill your plate and your food will be hot, some people walk around for ten mins looking with each selection on there plate then go and sit down and expect it to be piping hot. so dont forget. deserts wera also great, breakfast was great and the beach reseraunt was fantastic too.

staff were all amazing, there are tip boxes on the bars which are good, no tipping needed,we put some money in on last day which they share, we gave 50 egyption pounds to the room boy and also some to one of the gardeners which i think dont share the tips, if you could have been there to see is face, so if any spare think of them, they do a fantastic job.

jetty is nice, like before alot of jelly fish but managed to snorkell four days without any problems, yes got stung when we went in on one of the days when there were a lot in, but believe me its like someone giving you a little nip which lasts for a few seconds only,dont worry. its worth it to see all the amazing fish which are further down and cannot see from the top.there is also a divers side on the jetty. some really nice coral.

there was a kids club, looked like kids aged 4-8 they enjoyed it and were looked after very well.

tips. take drinks from lobby bar to the ampitheatre,at least two each to last.
take a pen for forms and even bingo one night.
plenty of sun cream"dont become a burnt lobster"
try and make friends its better, you will have a good time.
take the card off your key ring and leave in your room.
re fill the bottles from your fridge which are free from the self service drink despencers ,for your room at night, after a few drinks you will wake up thirsty,and its free.
go to the cocktail meating at the end,the managers will talk to u and they want to hear your view as they want to be the best.
enjoy this hotel, its the best, cant wait to go back next year.
marti,collin,hannabal,may,alan,phylis,vin and kassandra also known as the A TEAM, hope you have a good as holiday as us.

ITS FIVE STAR AT ITS BEST....... X X X X X..........

Quiet but lovely getaway hols

by TripAdvisor Member Hancockabroad

Marsa Alam is a very quiet upcoming resort. 5-6 hotels all together around a bay. Our Hotel was the best by a long way.
All hotels interconnect along the beach and a narrow walkway. But you cannot use the other hotel facilities, which would have been nice for a change of scenery or a change of bar/dining room.
Our hotel nice lobby area with big easy chairs. Welcoming drink on arrival. We had filled the forms in on the coach, so only waited 1-3 mins for room key, large cumbersome key ring not a credit card sized one.
Bag brought to room within 5 mins, tip needed in egyptian money.
Room lovely and big, with side sea view as most of the rooms are. New towel display every day. Our Chamberman worked very hard for his tip. the last day was a crocodile with the remote control in his mouth.!!
Ample sized bathroom with a good shower, hair dryer that worked, and 2 large sinks. No complimentary toiletries, but could ask for them. I still prefer my own brands that i bring with me.
Beach shingle but can walk on without shoes, can't access the sea directly from hotel beach you have to use the jetty. If you walk along to the next hotel you can access the sea directly from the beach. Lovely gently sloping beach, takes 100 m to get to waist deep water.
Rattan wind breaks on the beach needed for the gentle and sometimes very windy breeze. No beach bar on the beach, you have to walk to the beach restuarant for a drink.
Beach restaurant has very good freshly made pizzas made to order.
Buy a bottle of water and fill up at the many water filter containers in the restaurant and the bars.
Pool bar is lovely at sunset, you can watch the sun go down over the sea with a drink in you hand.
Snorkelling/scuba diving off the jetty is very good.
Best snorkeling on the full day trip on the boat to 3 lovely reefs, well worth the long day.
Same restaurant for all meals, could do with more choice of venue especially if staying 2 weeks. Food good by egyptian standards but very monotonous.
Hotel only really a 4* by UK standards.
Lovely for a getway hols if all you want is a rest. NO night life at all except for a drink in the bar which suited us.

Good value choice

by TripAdvisor Member AP43

This is a good value choice if you're looking for a quiet break in the sun. Major good points included proximity to the airport (which is literally a five minute drive away and doesn't suffer from the overly aggressive porters you can get in Sharm and Hurghada airports), immaculately clean room and facilities, pleasant and helpful staff and very spacious pool and beach areas. There is also a nice walking/running route around the resort. On the downside the buffet food gets tiresome quite quickly and the seafood restaurant is not worth the price - very average food at 35 euros a head. The resort is lovely if you are looking for a quiet break but there isn't much to do either within or outside of the hotel so if you're looking for a bit of a livelier holiday this place probably isn't for you.

fantastic!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member nicki26

I stayed at this hotel with my boyfriend in November and i have just had a look at the last few reviews and i couldnt believe they were so negative so i thought i would write a review.

We booked the hotel last minute but having read the reviews we had no worries. When we arrived we couldnt believe what we had got for our money the hotel looked amazing. After our welcome drink we were taken to our room. We had paid the small amount extra for a sea view and despite the fact it was quite dark we could hear the sea and knew it was worth it.

The room was a family room and as there was only two of us staying there we had plenty of room to spread out. The room itself was great plenty of drawers and hanging space (hangers were provided!!!) The bathroom had a hairdryer that worked as well as shower gel and shampoo. Everyday we got back to the room there was a different towel art, we had boats on the sea, a swan a turtle we heard some people had teddy bears made out of the towels as well. The view from the balcony was amazing we could see all of the bay and partly out to sea we couldnt of asked for better.A couple of things with the rooms, if you need an iron dont worry about taking one you can call room service and they will send an iron and ironing board up for you!!!! And to keep the air conditioning on all the time take the key off the key fob and leave the key fob in the holder!!

There is only one main restaurant to eat at in the evening which we didnt mind. The food changed every nite and the chefs special was usually really nice, i think the best night was the egypytian night when you could sit outside and they would make you a cup of tea! We ate at the beach bar for lunch and the pizzas there were lovely and the service was always quick and friendly. we were going to have the seafood menu here ont he last night but as we were the only ones booked in they had to cancel which was a shame so make sure there are other people booked in when you book.

We enjoyed the evening entertainment we had come away for a quiet break and the fact the bar only opened until 12 was perfect for us. We went to the disco 2 out of the 3 nights it was open, it was quite quiet there but we still enjoyed ourselves. The only problem we had in the bar was wanting to fill up our bottle of sprite we brought, they said they could not fill it up but we could have six glasses of lemonade!!!! which we then filled the bottle up with. The singer in the bar was ok we gave him a few new songs to sing as well. although we did find out he is not allowed to sing fast songs on disco nights as it may stop people going to the disco, we thought the opposite that it would get more people to go and we did tell them this so hopefully it will change.

We found plenty of things to do whilst we were there. The snorkelling from the jetty was amazing, i have never been snorkelling before and was rather nervous but there is a man who stands on the end of the jetty and keeps people off the coral he was really helpful. I did find out on the last day that it was possible to rent life jackets from the dive shop which i would of found useful at the beginning of the holiday. There is also the sauna, steam room and jacuzzi. The sauna and steam room do not open until 4pm but this was perfect as it starts to get chilly then. We spent a few afternoons in here.

We did two excursions whilst we were here, the island hopper and the quad bikes. The island hopper was perfect for topping up your tan before you came home, and the snorkelling was amazing but watch out for camels crossing the road ont he coach trip to the boat, we had one wander across the road in front of us not sure how we missed it. The quad bikes was a really good trip as well as you go out in to the desert for about 3 hours and eat out there we were lucky when we went as we got to see a loner who was camped in the desert. You also have a meal out in the desert as well in a bedouin camp, watch out for the resident mouse who lives there!!! and make sure you use their toilet before it gets dark.

Overall we had a fantastic time and we have already booked to go back in march and again in november. The hotel is ideal for anyone who wants a relaxing break with things to do but not go mad. It is best to visit sooner rather than later as the area is beginning to develop and by 2014 it will be bigger than sharm which is a shame as it will lose its charm.

Marsa alam

by sioux2

"Lamaya hotel beach"

It is the last week in January - temp was about mid 20 's but it could be windy

"the edge of the bay"

this gives you an idea of what the wind was doing outside the shelter of the bay

"room service"

Rooms kept clean with a different sculpture every day this was the best, rooms had fridge, tv

Drinking ...Drinking ...