Marina Lodge At Port Ghalib

Port Ghalib, (formerly Coral Beach Marina Lodge at Port Ghalib), Marsa Alam, Egypt
Marina Lodge at Port Ghalib
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 40% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Marina Lodge At Port Ghalib

Diving resort

by petriojk about Coral Beach Diving Hotel

I have been in this hotel for two nights. New, nice and clean hotel. Anyway wear shoes when walking around hotel area, my friend got some glass to foot after walking without shoes. There is few shops downstairs, T-shirts and diving stuff. Nothing but sand and sea to go by foot. If you are intrested in diving check: Emperor Divers. Great pool area. Aircondition. Safe-box.

Enjoy diving and want nothing else?.. This is for you!

by TripAdvisor Member PhilliousFogg

Booked the dive holiday through Regal Dive. Excellent service both in resort and from the office back in england. We had undertaken our research and our expectation was that we would have some great diving based at a clean, modern and friendly hotel in the middle of.... mmmmmm knowwhere! I am pleased to report our holiday did exactly what it said on the tin! Having dived, before, from El Gouna, Sharm and Dahab we were very impressed by the quality, quantity and vibrance of the coral. The colours were excellent. We also took in the extra cost dives to Elphinstone, Abu Dabbab and Shaab Samadai. All worth it. Although.. if we had not had located the sea cow at Abu Dabbab that would have been a rather boring dive. Unless you are a sea cow all that sea grass gets rather boring. We also discovered why sea cows are so rare in the Red Sea. They spend their lives being chased by divers so no time for reproduction, at least not in private. In short for the diving experience.. we wanted to get far from the madden crowds.. we achieved it. It was excellent. Emperor divers were as usual on top form and we used the dive boat AMY. The crew were excellent and the food fantastic (better than the other boats we were told by divers who guested for a day).

On the hotel front, as I have already mentioned clean, modern and friendly. Extremely limited entertainment in the evenings. The hotel put on one "oriental night" during the week. Mixed reviews with some of the guests out performing the performers! The hotel buffet restaurant was good. The food was of high standard and although there was a good selection the themes were a little repetative by the sixth night. Still! Excellent quality.

So over all... had a great time. We went to dive and were not disappointed. If I did not dive then I would have been extremely bored here. When the Port Ghalib development is complete it will be an excellent destination (similar to El Gouna). Until that time... If you dive ... go before it turns into Sharm. If you don't dive... unless you are happy to sit on a sun lounger all day for your holiday or travel between 5 - 6 hours (each way) to visit the sites (Luxor / Edfa).. you might consider waiting till the whole resort location is developed. Hope this helps.

Great hotel for diving

by TripAdvisor Member Likit7848

I just spent 4 days at the Coral Beach Diving Hotel in Marsa Alam.
It is definitely for divers, not for families wanting a beach holiday as they don't have a beach ! They have a fantastic pool however that is on 2 levels. Lots of public seating areas including a rooftop bar.
The rooms were very charming and comfortable and the food (buffets) was exceptionally tasty for a buffet in Egypt. They even have an "a la minute" station where they do pastas and pizzas.
The dock for the diving boats is right there at the hotel so all you have to do is make your way to the boat every morning at 8:00am so there' s no late nights.
There is no nightlife whatsoever away from the hotel. The town of Marsa Alam is 60 km away and is more of a village than a town.

The Jewel in the Crown of Upper Egypt

by TripAdvisor Member upsidedown_diver

This was my second trip to the Coral Beach Diving Hotel and to be perfectly honest its one of the best diving hotels I have stayed in. The staff extend Egyptian hospitality, the hotel is clean, friendly and relaxing. The works in the port dont bother you and the diving is unspoilt. I have posted a full report twice on this hotel at http://www.agamaconsulting.co.uk/dive_reports and I know I will be going back there soon.
Waleed and Romana have a wonderful hotel staffed by a great team and Phil and the Emperor divers team will welcome you and make sure you enjoy your stay.
Brilliant hotel, great location to relax and chill out and superb diving.

2nd visit to this brilliant hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Richyuk

Decided to go back to The Coral Beach Diving Hotel again, after a great stay in january this year. Booked the trip through Regal Dive again and was happy with them also. Got a very warm reception from all the hotel staff, as they recognised me from before. The building work, outside the hotel is progressing well and the marina is getting bigger. When you stay in the hotel, you will not be affected, at all, by the building work around you or at least hear it. Well I didn't.
This hotel is geared up for scuba divers with Emperor Divers, on site, which is handy. The idea of getting out of bed, strolling into breakfast, then strolling onto the dive boat, all within grabbing distance is very very appealing and was! I noticed that Emperor Divers had two more boats to cope with the demand, well done Phil. Dive guides were very professional, thanks Guy, Vanessa, Mo, Roberto, Roberta and Aladdin.
Also took the Luxor day trip, which is a long day, but well worth it. You get to see El Karnak Temple, The Valley of the Kings, Temple of Hatshepsut, Alabastar Factory and the Papyrus Factory for approx £80.00 (UK pounds).
I will probably return next year when more work has been completed surrounding the hotel, and I also fancy diving Elphinstone again.
Good luck.

Building work and review

by TripAdvisor Member scuba...diva297

I just got back from the Coral Beach Diving Hotel last night, v.depressed.

Before we left we got the standard letter from t.cook telling us that there was building work around the hotel. The hotel is in a developing area and so there really is building work going on all around but this did not effect our holiday. There was very little noise (the odd jcb in the distance) and nothing after about 4pm, and we were never woken in the morning etc. So unless you are a real complainer there is nothing to worry about.

I really wouldn't recommend this hotel for non divers unless you just want to sit by the pool and do nothing all day. There is nothing to do in the hotel and nothing around it so don't expect lots of acitivities. Most people who visit are divers so apart from change over day there was only ever about 4 people by the pool (which by the way is far to cold to swim in)

The rooms are very spacious and nicley decorated (walk in wardrobes, huge showers, fab lighting). The hotel is really well kept and very clean.

We went HB, the buffet restaurant is OK. My other half (not too fussy) easily had a plate full of food every night. I on the other hand (v fussy) ate pasta in tomato sause or rice nearly every night. We ate in the shark bites restaurant twice (where you pay) and this was really good we both finished our plates. The drinks in the hotel are quite expensive £2.40 for 2 cans of pop, £2.20 for a local beer, so prepare your self for a heavy bar bill. You also have to buy all your water from the hotel at £1.20 for a 2l bottle.

There is a couple of small gift shops (one sells choc at £1 per lion bar), but we expected this so bought a couple of big bars of dairymilk at the airport.

Oh and emperor divers are brill we had a great weeks diving with Aladin (and we saw the dugong, big sea cow for non divers)

Overall we had a fab holiday.

Fantastic holiday at the Coral Beach

by TripAdvisor Member RuthiePaul

Went to Coral beach with my hubby as a last minute treat for him ( he is a diver and wanted to dive the Red Sea )
We were aware that the hotel was new and fairly isolated and chose it because of the inhouse diving school ( Emperor Dive School ) where hubby booked his diving direct before travelling.

I was a little apprehensive as I would be left on my own for most of the week whilst hubby was diving but needn't have worried.
I had a wonderful week ! The staff are well aware that the majority of guests are going diving so those of use left in the hotel during the day nothing is too much trouble.

The hotel is spacious, clean and has the feel of an Arabian nights filmset. Rooms are massive, very clean and beautifully decorated. The staff cannot be beaten - they are friendly, welcoming and always happy to help. The guest relations manager - Ramona - is excellent and spends time each day visiting guests and checking everything is ok. The boys on reception - Ahmed & Alaa - are lovely and their english is excellent.

I do reccomend picking up a few words of Arabic - espescially Shukran ( thank you )- as making the effort is very much appreciated by the staff.

I have been to Egypt before - Cairo, Luxor, Aswan etc to see the cultural sites - and I was concerned about being so far away from everything but I did a day trip to Luxor whilst hubby was diving and we both took an evening trip in a 4x4 to a bedouin setlement for dinner and then viewing the stars through a telescope which we can both highly reccomend.

My husband was really impressed with Emperor Divers - they were professional, helpful and very safety conscious. He found the dives, boats and food on board to be excellent.

The hotel food was lovely - always a huge choice of different dishes freshly cooked each day. The fresh breads and cakes were especially good - bread still warm from the oven for breakfast each day was a real treat.

It is a quiet hotel - not for those wanting night life and partying but if you want a diving base or a quiet holiday where you feel spoilt rotten it is well worth a visit.

We have booked again for this coming November - 2 weeks this time - and can't wait !

very nice hotel shame about the stained glass windows!

by TripAdvisor Member milothedogg

the coral beach is a very nice hotel the staff are wonderful and the rooms are of a good standard, the only downside to this hotel was the pool was not heated, and the buffet got a bit boring after the 5th night!
one of our friends notice a slightly odd thing about the coral beach hotel was that the stained glass windows had been scratched out in smal areas so you could see straight into the room, it was reported to the thomas cook rep who took action to rectify this problem, so check your window when you check in or you may be watched by unwanted eyes!
i would like to say thanks to all my new friends we met at the coral beach, check out the pictures you know who you are!
we had such a laugh especially on our trips to the beach club vendome the local building sight. where the snorkeling is great and the do a very good lunch!

Great diving at Elphinstone

by TripAdvisor Member nemothecat

Coral Beach is a lovely hotel with exceptionally friendly staff. The rooms are spacious, atmospheric and very clean and we had a great view of the marina from our balcony. The hotel has been well designed with many artistic touches. We particularly liked the wet foot outdoor bar area and the roof terrace. The buffet meals were good with plenty to choose from.
We went to dive and I'm not sure there is much else to do unless you like lounging by the pool all day, although I did notice a sign in reception advertising Arabic lessons! The Marina is still being constructed but the construction work was not intrusive at all.
We had not dived with Emperor before and were somewhat wary because they are a big operation, but we need not have worried, they are fantastic. All the dive leaders were very friendly and on the boat nothing was too much trouble for the staff. I have never had help putting on my fins before anywhere!
The diving itself was excellent with pristine coral and fantastic marine life. Elphinstone reef is a world class site and worth the extra money for the trip. On one visit we saw six Hammerhead sharks and two days later a huge Manta ray. Many turtles and generally a fish soup! The local dive sites were also wonderful with loads to see and again excellent corals.
Overall, an excellent week and I would recommend both Coral Beach and Emperor divers with no hesitation.

An OK stay

by TripAdvisor Member tripjunkie1

We were booked into this hotel for the last day of our 'liveaboard' diving holiday organised by a UK dive company.

Our first impressions were good. Lovely lobby, extremely friendly and helpful staff.

However, as we were shown to our rooms, the gardens of the hotel looked rather unkempt, and the pool area rather spartan.

Our room was beautiful. Very spacious and comfortable. The shower and all other ameneties were excellent.

When we went down to the pool, we struggled to find any sun shades. There were only about five down there for everyone to share, which in temperatures upwards of 40 degrees C, was poor service. The pool was small and basic, but clean.

The restaurant was small, with a moderate size selection of buffet type meals for dinner. We were extremely let down by the service that evening. One of our party ordered a very expensive bottle of champagne, to celebrate having one the holiday photo competition. After waiting over an hour, and reminding the waiters several times, sadly no champagne arrived. They had run out, but not had the decency to tell the couple who were waiting for it. All other drinks arrived on time however.

Breakfast was another moderate selection of self service options. No hot water to make tea though.

Our stay was very brief, so maybe I am being unfair to the hotel. This hotel caters mainly for divers, and I do not know how the tarrif compares with other hotels in the area. If it is fairly cheap, then we got our money's worth. We would rate the rooms and lobby area as five star, but would probably only give the rest of the hotel a three star rating.

We would not choose to revisit the hotel for a holiday unless it was again, part of a package.

Eating ...Eating ...