Metropole Hotel Alexandria

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 33% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• blakeb1122's Profile Photo

Watch Out for this Hotel

I booked a room through booking.com which was the only way to book ahead of time without a phone call. On the day of travel, we traveled by train and taxi and were dropped off at the hotel in downtown Alexandria. The hotel refused to honor our reservation and instead said our room had been changed to the "nearby" sister hotel. Not having anywhere else to go, we took a taxi to the "sister" hotel. This turned out to be a resort on the outside of the city 40 minutes from downtown. It was a bad experience all around. Beware when booking with this hotel.

Directions: downtown

• aqazi's Profile Photo

Illusions of Grandeur

We were immediatly attractied to the hotel by the location and then reading their website it sounded like we were going to be in for a treat. Its actually a short wlk from the train station but we kind of got lost and by tthe time we got there we were both drenched in sweat. Arriving at the door to the hotel the security guards didn't believe we could actually be guests so didn't open the door and then check askeing us if it was really the hotel we had come for! Anyway we struggled to the reception with our bags and went through the formalities. Finally a welcome drink came but when I went to take it both tipped off the tray on to me!. What a welcome. Worse still there was no apology! There was no suggestion that they might launder my clothes. Feeling really ticked off we headed for our room. We had a sea facing room which had a nice view but don't even try to open the french doors as the noise is deafening. The room itself was nice and I tried to put the awful "welcome" behind us. The location is one of the main selling points of the hotel but don't kid yourself that you can stoll accross the road for a promenade along the Corniche as the traffic is terrible and crossing the Corniche requires a series of quick manouvers and alot of courage. Having said that its pretty close to walk to the library and there are many coffee shops and restaurants near by.

Unique Quality: Old style lift......old style service...

Directions: On the Corniche

More about Metropole Hotel Alexandria

Cheap hotels + buses to Cairo?

by Atousa

Hi everyone,

I'm arriving in Alexandria tomorrow night at midnight. I need a CHEAP place to stay and options seem limited. Anyone know of a good place?
Also, I'm going to leave the next morning for Cairo. How do you get there? I'm currently in Tehran, so I'm pretty much doing this blindly with no guidebooks and very limited Internet resources. Any/all advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks.

by graeme83

I stayed at a place called Hotel Crillon on Sharia Adib (about 50m from the Corniche). I can't remember the exact price, but it was in the £E30-50 range for a double room en-suite.

Between Alexandria and Cairo I can recommend the train. There is approx one every hour with a journey time of 2-3 hours. They also arrive in the centre of Cairo itself. The bus station that I arrived in Cairo with was about 6km from Egyptian museum area, so a taxi would be required. The approx cost of the train in 2nd class is E£30.

by MalenaN

I also stayed at Crillon Hotel when I was in Alexandria and can also recommend it. If you have time you should stay longer in Alexandria than a night. It is a lovely city with many things to see.

by amit_epatra

HI Dear,
About the currency, they generally ask in terms of L.E. (Egyptian Pounds).So better to convert some dollars in Egyptian pounds, for atleast a day's expenditure. There are many currnecy exchange almost on all the major streets. I am in Cairo, and i didn't stay in Alexandria, just went by train in morning and came back on same day. But you can stay in
1.Aifu Horizon Resort Hotel,Al montazah towers for 226 L.E.,
2. Paradise Inn Mamoura Beach Hotel, Mamoura Beach for 316 L.E.
3.Le Metropole Hotel Alexandria, 52 Saad Zaghloul St. Raml. for 347 L.E.
4.Windsor Palace Hotel Alexandria, 17 El-Shohada Street. for 347 L.E.
All hotels are 4 stars.
The place is not at all costly, if you are in group of 3-4, then you can hire a Taxi from Station, for 120-max 150 L.E. for whole day (6-7 hrs),and visit all the places.
There are many trains from Alexandria to Cairo, just mail me at amit_epatra@vtmail.com and i will send you he attached file for train timings or you can visit http://www.egyptrail.gov.eg/docs/online/online.html . Trains take 2hrs15 mins, 3 hrs and 3hrs30mins time. It depends on the train is speed, exp or turbine respectively. It costs from 35 to 46 L.E. for first class sitting chair car. A foreigner can not travel in second class, it is some rule here. When you arriving and how long you going to stay in Cairo. I am here in Cairo itself, mail me here on amit_epatra@vtmail.com or amit.kumarverma@dargroup.com i will try to give you information as far as i have. Take care,Wish you Happy journey

Comments