El Salamlek Palace Hotel: Enjoy A Royal Hotel & Services
In the year 1892, El-Salamlek Palace was built by HH Khedive Abbas Helmi II as a hunting lodge for his Hangro-Austrian mistress Countess May-Torok von Szendro (later wife under the name Gawidan Hanem Abdallah). The Palace was built by the Greek architect Dimitri Fabricious Pasha (Chief architect of the Khedive).
The Palace is situated on a hill overlooking the emerald Mediterranean sea at the glorious Montazah Bay as well as the most beautifully landscaped gardens in Alexandria, Al-Montazah.
Nine years were spent to renovate and decorate this most beautiful palace to recreate the luxury and glamour of the Royal Era of Egypt for guests to enjoy!
This 115 acre complex is surrounded by great walls from the south, east and west, and with the beach on its north side. This area used to belong to the Mohamed Ali family, that ruled Egypt from the mid 19th century until 1952. The construction was started in 1892 by King Abbas II, who built a large palace inside the complex called the Salamlek. In 1932, King Fuad built a larger palace and called it the Haramlik. His son, King Farouk, built a bridge to the sea to act as a water front. The rest of the 115 acres is nothing but beautiful gardens. Palm trees and gazelles cover the area. This is a wonderful spot to enjoy the beauty of Alexandria.