Ain Shams Obelisk Hostel

King Djoser's Tomb @ SaqqaraKing Djoser's Tomb @ Saqqara

Entrance to the PyramidEntrance to the Pyramid

Siwa to Alexandria or Cairo

Hello,
It's me again. Researched Siwa and definitely wanna go there. Already booked my accommodations there, but my question is:

From Siwa, do I have to go back to Alexandria in order to return to Cairo or can I just take a bus straight to Cairo? I've seen different suggestions on this and am a little confused.

I also want to do camping in the White Desert. Should I do this excursion from Siwa or from Cairo?

Thanks much!

by TheLongTone

Things do change, but when I visited Siwa there was no non-stop Cairo bus.

by theknight

I have not done that trip for many years but it doesn't really make sense that you sould have to go to Alex to get to Cairo. if there is no direct trip to Cairo then I would suggest travelling to Marsa Matrouh and from there on to Cairo .. all the best

by Phalaenopsis03

Thanks for the replies gentlemen! theknight, yes, I was thinking of doing Marsa Matrouh if I have to go back to Alex anyway. Any suggestions for that particular destination?

by baksheesh

There is a direct bus to Cairo that cuts away from the coast long before Alexandria, saving several hours.

To get to the White Desert from Siwa you must either return to Cairo and travel to Bahariya then Farafra, or hire a private truck to cut across the desert to Bahariya. Have done this 10-13 hour trip several times and the road is exhausting, with a real sense of remoteness. You will need police clearance.

by Phalaenopsis03

Thanks for another helpful response, baksheesh!

Hi guys,
Came back from my Egypt trip a few weeks ago and have to say that the most memorable part about my trip was definitely visiting Siwa. I was originally intending to stay 3 nights, but ended up staying a week (at Albabenshal hotel and El Kelany hotel). There's definitely something special and even mystical about Siwa. Hoping I will return in the future (insha'allah). By the way, to get there, I went from Cairo to Alex by train and then took the 10hr local bus to Siwa. On the way back, I took a desert safari of the Western Desert, got dropped off at the White Desert and took the bus to Dakhla and then went to Luxor. Interestingly, while in Bahariya Oasis, got caught in a sandstorm and ended up staying at my desert guide's friend's mudbrick hut. 'Twas awesome fun!

Thanks for the tips!
phalaenopsis

Travel Tips for Cairo

Bus or personal Guide

by hamCW

I just returned from a great trip in Egypt. Fortunately, I had read about Mohamed Bahaa on Virtual Traveler!

He my arrangements for all the hotels, flights guided tours and transportation. In addition, Bahaa made several trips to the pharmacy to make sure I had the medical supplies I needed. The hotel rooms were great. I have read horror stories about others who stayed in undesirable places. I previously had taken those bus tours . Remember hearing the bus guide point out “ look on the right side” and you were on the left side and missed the photo shot. That doesn’t happen with Bahaa. Best off all, the cost is about the same as the bus day or half day tour. I was in Egypt for about 11 days. Thanks Bahaa! The people are friendly. You will amazed at what awaits you in the Cairo Museum. Take a trip outside of Cairo and see the farms and rural Egyptian lifestyle. Then go to Luxor, WOW!

The Egyptian Pound and Exchange Rates

by swisssinai

The Egyptian Pound or LE for short...

consists of 100 piastres ( pennies ) which consists of 10 mils.

However you will not find small piastres or mils any more except in souvenir shops.

In circulation -

The bank notes are as follows...

LE 100, 50, 20, 10, 5 1
Piastres 50, 25, 10, 5

Coins....

Piastres 25, 20, 10, 5

For exchange rates go to http://www.nsgb.com.eg and click on exchange rates

lotus pond in the garden of egyptian museum

by aalayaa

in the ancient time, the egyptian empire is divided into 2: the north kingdom and the south kingdom.
the symbol of the north kingdom is eagle and the symbol for the southern kingdom is the lotus.
if you visit the egyptian museum, you can see the lotus pond at the entrance.

See theSufi Dancers. On...

by catarata

See theSufi Dancers. On Wednesday and Saturday nights from 9 pm (in summer and 9.30 h in winter), the Al Tannoura Egyptian Heritage Dance Troupe gives a 1.30 h display of Sufi dancing in the Madrassa of Al Ghouri in Islamic Cairo, close to Khan El Khalili.
Admission is free and it´s advisable to come early in winter as it gets very crowded. And once inside, I´d recommend to enter the last one to the performance room, as they usher the people from back to forth and so you can be in the first line!!!!

Food in Cairo

by MM212

Walking around the less privileged areas of Cairo is certainly a humbling experience. The majority of the city's population lives in very poor conditions, yet Egyptians generally have no shortage of food, due to the country's extensive agricultural tradition. Attached are photos of some of the interesting local food and produce I've encountered in the streets of al-Qahira.

Comments