Akram Inn

5 Tahrir square, Cairo, Egypt

More about Cairo

The shop from outside.The shop from outside.

Courtyard & Ablution Fountain - Dec 07Courtyard & Ablution Fountain - Dec 07

The breakfast .The breakfast .

Carved lattice work - Al Rifa'i mosqueCarved lattice work - Al Rifa'i mosque

Want to send Bacon to my sister

by Zurbs

Hello, my sister and family recently moved to Sixth Of October -Egypt and they have been craving bacon, does any one know of where I can order some bacon in egypt for them and have it delivered/shipped . Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

by vdoortje

Ask your question on the forum of www.touregypt.net. I know there is bacon to get in Egypt; I have heard of it. Just no idea where. On Toregypt are a lot of expats who will know more.

by zanzooni

Hey there Zurbs!! I know that when I was in Cairo 3 years ago, I heard talk of being able to buy pork there from certain butchers. There's a German butcher in Zamalak, which is near the American Embassy and in Maadi who sells pork from pigs that he raises himself. He's been in business since 1922. Check out:Germanbutcher.net He may not be selling pork right now, but your sister should be able to call or go by and see what's up. There's also some places in Heliopolis that sell pork. The other suggestion would be to go into the Christian/Coptic section of Cairo. I'm sure someone should be able to help your family and direct them as to where to go. I hope this helps you! :}

by carteki

Off topic I know - but did you know that Egypt has a really large pig farming industry - ALL for export!

by zanzooni

Actually, I did. :}

by timwallick

Egypt killed off the pig herds during 2009 due to a concern of the bird flu virus h5n1. which the pig herds were found to be infected with in 2007 as i recall the news media blamed it on last years H1N1 flu virus but that was not the truth of the subject.

you can still find these products in some of the older shops,but you wont find anything on-line where you can pre-pay and then have what you ordered shipped to your family members.

send me and email i will forward an expats name which is currently making fresh sausage but they are located in Maadi.

by timwallick

here is a link to the related information, i mentioned above if you want a more current picture of the pork industry in egypt.

by theknight

Bird Flu has been around in Egypt for many years and is currently endemic there. The killing of pigs happened only last year & was part of the panic caused by the spread of the Swine Flu virus (H1N1) which also resulted in other drastic measures including closing down schools & universities for some weeks & resorting to home tuition via TV and news papers and also the screening of all those entering the country & rushing anyone with the slightest temperature rise to hospital, under police escort, for checks.
Pork is still sold in Egypt but prices have gone up which is also the case with the prices of everything else because of the terrible inflation in Egypt. As already indicated, the system in Egypt does not allow for the purchase of items online. Your sister can find out where to get her bacon from by asking one of the local christians & may be a visit to the local chruch. Local Butchers & groceries should also be able to direct her.

Travel Tips for Cairo

BRING YOUR STUDENT CARD

by pangtidor

If you are a student, dont forget to bring your student card. Make sure that `STUDENT CARD` is printed on your card, to be acknowledged as a student card for them. With the student card you will get 50% discount for almost all of the entrance fees.

River Nile

by leffe3

Along with the Pyramids, Cairo is associated with the River Nile. Desert only a few miles from its banks, the Nile dictates Egyptian lives. The city sprawls for many miles in both directions. Surprisingly, there are few opportunities to reach the water's edge in the city itself.

Thomb guide

by paradisedreamer

There will always be someone at any tourist site who will offer their services as a guide. This was the only guide we had, well he had keys to a tomb we wanted to see so with a little baksheesh we were in!

See the Citadel

by tiganeasca

This photo is of the Mosque of Suleiman Pasha. It is in the Citadel, tucked away far beyond where many tourists bother to go. I cannot recommend the Citadel itself highly enough (I describe it briefly above). Wander at your own pace, away from the street crowds and get a feel for the city and the country...
I think that this mosque is quite lovely from the outside and absolutely stunning on the inside. It is truly a small gem. When I arrived, a newspaper reporter was interviewing a very old man just outside the mosque. The reporter explained to me that this man had been a caretaker at the mosque for over half a century! I went inside on my own and after about five minutes, the interview had finished and the old man came and found me. He explained much about the mosque and, when we finished the tour, pointed out the various buildings nearby and how they were used by the British during World War II.

As we know it already.. please.. dress appropiate

by beebah

As I mentioned above, I had been warned about wandering in the city by myself in Cairo. I didn't ignore it though. I'm always be careful everywhere I travel. But I didn't find Cairo any uncomfortable or anything. Everytime there I felt very safe. I dressed normal with long sleeves shirt, blue jeans, no problem, no hassels, nobody cares.

I saw many tourists in sleeveless tops, shorts though. I understand that it is hot in such area on earth but dressing up yourself like that you can't blame the people those they stare at you anyway. It's showing no respect and "Dont know Dont care" attitude.

Get yourself a light cotton long sleeve shirts, light cotton pants is good idea. I couldn't believe my eyes seeing 2 chicks in almost-a-bikini in the Mosque area. Or cover your hair with scarf is always OK but you don't really need to do it though. Only if you want to and if you feel comfortable doing so.

Respect the others and their customs so you will be respected aswell. Same as tourists I see in our Grand Palace here, How many guidebooks they have read but they still dressed up as if they're on the beach?

well, I hope you see what I mean

For those who already dressed like that and still getting too much unwanted attention. Don't think you can do much with it anyway. Same in Thailand, we love looking at foreigners, just like that. No reasons :-)

Comments