Cairo Stars Hotel

Cairo Stars Hotel
HostelBookers.com Hostelworld.com

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Cairo

Collage going girlsCollage going girls

Mortuary Temple - SaqqaraMortuary Temple - Saqqara

Rakhi & Munu fully tired after the walk inside theRakhi & Munu fully tired after the walk inside the

Fountain - Alabaster MosqueFountain - Alabaster Mosque

How many days?

by roamer61

Is 2 days in Cairo enough or, should I add another?
Most tours give 2 days, 1 to the Pyramids and another to the Citadel and Egyptian Museum.

by uglyscot

It depends what you wantyour interests are. I lived there for 6 years and cannot believe anyone could expect to see enough in 2 days.
Must see: Giza pyramids, and even better Saqqarah and you could add
Dahshur; all can be done in one day.
The Citadel is a rip off really and doesn't deserve more than a couple of hours.
The Khan el Khalili and that area is also a must.
A walk in Islamic Cairo can be fascinating. And don't forget the Egyptian Museum which is fantastic.

by Fluffy_bunny

Clearly the longer you have to spend in a place, the better "feel" you get for it. There are plenty of other things to see and do in Cairo. But 2 days is enough to see the major sights.

by TheLongTone

Add another. As Uglyscot days, it's really worth visiting Saquara & Daishur. There's much more to see at Saquara than at giza, in fact. The Egyptian museum is a must and anything less thn a couple of hours is a total traversty. I'd agree that the Citadel is pretty missable but it does give a great view and the nearby Sultan Hassan mosque is fabulous. The fatimid city between Bab Ftouh and Bab Zawayla is also extraordinary.

by GrumpyDiver

Most tours rush you through the place, which is why they only give you two days.

We spent 4 days there and barely scratched the surface. I would suggest that staying for the third day, if you have the time, would certainly make sense, so long as you are interested in the antiquities and culture.

by roamer61

The tours generally are like this:

Day 1: Egyptian Museum plus Citadel with Bazaar
Day 2: Saqqara and onto Giza

by ter1413

Definitely do more than 2 days! Egypt is not a place where should rush through. You can spend hours in the museum looking at the treasures! And with those tours, they do rush you through the locations. I spend a week in just Cairo and I could have stayed longer.
My advice...stay longer and explore on your own! I didn't have a tour guide. I found a taxi driver outside my hotel and he took us around EVERY day and we paid him at the end of each day. He would wait outside of the locations that we wanted to visit and brought us back to our hotel at night. He showed us great places to take pictures of the pyramids, etc.
We met locals, ate local food, etc. Much better than a tour at your own pace!

by al2401

Try for more time if you can. Definitely the pyramids and sphinx, saqqara, the museum (take your time here) the citadel (not much in istelf0 but the views are great and the Mohammed Ali mosque is amazing. Then there is Coptic Cairo, the Khan El Khalili Bazaar and make sure you cross the road to the local market as well. The Ibn Tulun Mosque and others, palaces .....

enough said.

Travel Tips for Cairo

~ Pyramids ~ Shisha ~ People ~ Sunset ~

by Heavens-Mirror

I really love Cairo, i miss the pyramids, the sound of car horns in the streets, the people, i miss Shisha & i really miss watching the sunset beautifully over the pyramids at dawn.

If you have never been to Cairo then visiting the pyramids is a must, also visit Cairo Museum & the Citadel Mosque. The best memory of Cairo was when i went on the Pyramids tour, i remember being in the limo & turning around the corner near the Sphinx & seeing it for the first time was breathtaking, i couldnt stop staring because it amazed me so much & it was my dream to always visit.

Also standing next to the largest Pyramid was a wonderful experience, i couldnt believe my eyes & how big it was, no photo can show just how massive they really are.

Well, believe it or not, my...

by MarcoAntonio

Well, believe it or not, my favourite eating place in Cairo was Hassan's kofte place, just round the corner from the Youth Hostel. I ate there nearly each day that I stayed at the 'beit shebab'! I have to say that one of the things that I thought was so amazing about being their was the sunset at the Pyramids. Truely an incredible vision that has been around for thousands of years! I also miss the mango juice bars on Sharia 26th of July, and if you love exotic fruits, you have to try all the flavours of ice cream you can! They are the best!

Cairo Homes

by CandS

On our first day on the bus trip to the Pyramids we came across these housing developments. Our guide advised us that the homes are unfinished because the Eygptians only pay tax on their homes after they are completed. Afterwards we noticed housing complexes like these all over Egypt...

Cairo Tip

by hayward68

It's so hard to pin down one specific fondest memory. If I had to say one it would be the last night of our tour when we went out in Cairo. We first headed to the Khan el-Khalili and El Fishawy's for a little drink and a bit of shisha. It was just teeming with people and the atmosphere was buzzing with the festiveness of Ramadan. The locals were out and about enjoying themselves after a day of fasting and everyone was just having a good time. Our group sat and discussed our two weeks and reminisced about the things we had seen and done. After El Fishawy's we headed off in several taxis, racing on the way, to L'Aubergine for a few beers and the party continued there. Not willing to finish the night we eventually made our way back to our hotel where we filled the bar and talked and drank some more. You could tell we'd had a wonderful tour and cherished the time we'd spent together in Egypt.
Pictured is our tour leader Ian getting the first shisha of the night going, the gentleman with the tongs is adding the coals.

Bakshish

by belgrade03

It is normal that everyone in Egypt expect "bakshish" e.g a tip. And literally everyone! From the luggage carriers to ministers, for the former I can tell from my personal experience while for the latter so I've heard. You can give a usual tip of 10% of the bill but you can also give whatever the amount you choose. They will always ask for more :)

Comments