Caroline Crillon Hotel

Otel.com Hotelsclick.com

Satisfaction Average

Rated 11% lower than similarly priced 2.5 star hotels

More about Cairo

The sales women with our guideThe sales women with our guide

Tourists visiting the mosque - Dec 07Tourists visiting the mosque - Dec 07

Our Bus.Our Bus.

Tomb of Shah of Iran - Al Rifa'i mosqueTomb of Shah of Iran - Al Rifa'i mosque

Baksheesh/Tipping Guidelines and Habibi Tours

Hi VT'ers!

Can anyone share tipping guidelines for Egypt, i.e., how much to tip taxi drivers, tour guides, hotel employees, waiters, etc.? I don't mind being generous, but I don't want to go overboard either. I am on a budget and want to give what's fair.

My second question is, has anyone heard of Habibi Tours (www.habibitours.com)? They've been recommended by a few hostel websites. They also accept credit card payments, which I like, but of course I wouldn't make a payment without knowing if the tour agency is legit or not.

Thanks for your responses.

F.B.

by Odinnthor

Here is a few tips on tipping in Egypt.

Tour drivers: About LE 10-15 per day
Personal guide: About LE 30-40 per day

You can add 10-15% for metered taxis, unless you have a pre-agreement on the fare. Then a tip is not necessary.

Some of the better restaurants add 10-15% to the bill but a few added percentage points on top of that is normal.

LE 5-10 for all the bags if you get help with them.

This is general of course but should give you an idea. Remember, baksheesh is a way of life in Egypt. Everyone that performs a service will expect a tip, but unsolicited help does not require the money demanded in return.

by TheLongTone

And one of the minor amusements fir tourists is accumulating a wedge of small denomination bills. It makes life much simpler if you can give cab drivers the money you want them to have & not need to extract change from them.

by KakapoTheParrot

On my last visit I spent my whole time looking for small change to hand out as tips. I hit on the idea (it turns out to be fairly common, but I think I thought it up for myself!) of giving larger amounts in exchange for small change. Toilet cleaners are a great source of small change; you offer them 10 times what you want to give as a tip on the condition they give you 9 times back as change. They seemed quite familiar with the idea.

I seemed to get through about 10 small tips a day, although I was probably supplying my family with some of their tips too (no - I don't tip my family :-) )

by Phalaenopsis03

Erik: Thank you for giving me a general idea on how to tip! And thanks for answering all my questions so far. :)

TheLongTone: I’m getting stressed out just worrying about the baksheesh aspect of my trip. Why do they have to make things so complicated for us tourists. Ayeyayay! :)

KakapoTheParrot: My concern is that if I give them 10x more, I get back nothing except for a simple smile and a “shukran” for my good deed. ;p

FB

by tamerelserafi

For Taxi the best thing is CITYCAB ... i usually use it if I'm not using my car .. usually from/to airport ... it has a counter which is so fair but you have to give the driver about 5-10% tip ... you call the center 16516 and order it at which time and which place he should take you from and to ... so safe ... for more information i'd like to answer :):)

by Phalaenopsis03

tamerelserafi: Thank you for your suggestion on CITYCAB. I will keep it in mind when I'm in Cairo.

by Phalaenopsis03

Varongi: Your experience with Habibi Tours sounds awful and I'm sorry to hear you went through such an ordeal with your bookings and communications with them. I definitely do not want that for myself either. At any rate, I have decided not to book anything while here. I will make all tour arrangements when I arrive in Egypt so that I can go to the tour agency offices myself and deal with a live person who can tell me face to face what I will be getting for my money. Again, I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with Habibi Tours. Companies like that should not be in existence.

Travel Tips for Cairo

When to Go

by queenpud

The best time to go November - April (occasionally experiences dust storms brought by the sirocco hot winds in April)

There are two seasons: a very hot summer between May and October, and a mild winter from November to April.
Cairo is very dry, receiving on average only about a centimeter of rain a year, but it does have high humidity levels in summer.

Midan Ramses

by sachara

The Midan Ramses is at the northern side of central Cairo. Huges amounts of traffic, cars, buses, taxis, minibuses and so many roads. It was not easy to get an overview. When we stepped out our hotel at the square early morning, we realized to be in a city of millions. We just had to undergo all with the exhaust gases, smog and at that time a lot of yellow dust, in the air, on the cars, just everywhere. This was our first meeting with Cairo by daylight. Wow, what an overwhelming experience, I will never forget.
And in the middle of that all we saw the statue of Ramses II (this statue is discovered near Giza and erected at Midan Ramses in 1955). See at the left side of the picture.

Get a guide with a car

by MaximusTravel

In a city like Cairo you are much better off hiring a guide and a car (with AC!) than shooting around via taxis. One major advantage is traffic - A guide will make sure your getting around the mess, Most Taxis do NOT have AC, A good guide will keep you well informed of what your looking at where as most Taxi drivers aren't going to tell you much.

Driver

by paradisedreamer

For each of our days in Cairo we hired a taxi and driver and he would wait for us and then take us on to the next place. I very much recommend this way of getting around Cairo and Ghiza, it is stress free and costs a lot less than overpriced tours. We paid LE160 for about 6 hours of travelling around for the three of us.

The warmest people...

by racayadi

Come to Cairo -- young and old, families and single people... .what a wonderful place... all previous ideas you may have about a Muslim country are to be thrown out the window and give yourself the opportunity to start from scratch... Cairo is a good place to do so and the Egyptians are more than ready to receive you with open arms...
Taxi drivers, hotel/hostel personnel, restaurants, markets.... people on the street -- all are curious regarding your presence, want to know where you are from, if your first time in the country and what do you think about it....
I have nothing but the highest compliments to this fantastic culture, civilization .... my first time in Africa and in a Muslim country... not gone yet and ready to come back ASAP.....

Comments