4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Satisfaction Terrible

Costs 67% less but rated 28% lower than other 4.5 star hotels

• CATARACT NILE CRUISE

THEY ARE FRAUD.....

THEY CHEAT FOR MONEY. PLEASE DO NOT USE THEM. I'M GOING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT THEM TO AMERICAN EMBASSY. THEY PROMISED US TO PUT IN 5-STAR DELUXE AND INSTEAD PUT US IN 5-STAR AND ASKING US MORE MONEY INSTEAD OF REFUNDING SOME.

THEY ARE FRAUD.... AVOID THEM!!!!

Directions: avoid them. THEY ARE FRAUD

• worst hotel

I have booked a room for a day-use in Catarct Harraneya about 9 days ago. I had the worst experience in this room, and I decided to contact a responsible authority to either take care of this issue, or correct my info about 5 stars hotels in Egypt.
    I am attaching photos of the filth that was delivered to my room, when I called room service asking for orange juice and water. Not forgetting the terrible, unhealthy un fresh smell of a towel I used to dry my skin. I have to wash my skin again and again to get this off of my skin.
    I am very sorry for this experience. I am sorry that when I talked to the duty manager, he said he cannot do anything about this other than giving me a plain white paper to write my complaint to give next day to the general manager. I am not sure that this is a 5 star hotel that EGYPT would approve of. I have experienced a few fine hotels, in Dubai, Sharm El Sheikh and USA. This Cataract hotel is not even a 1 star hotel.
    I expected the manager to call me and resolve the matter, but he did not, seems that he is OK with this kind of service provided in his hotel, or that he may not have gotten my complaint in the first place.
    (Attaching files, did not work)
    Ragia ElShabini
    Dublin, Ohio
    USA

• A lot better than other reviews suggest

Having booked this hotel on a whim as it seemed very cheap for a 5*, I got very worried upon reading the reviews - many of which gave the hotel 0 or 1 out of 10. Needless to say, it put a dampener on our holiday preperation as we geared ourselves up for a shocker! We were very much mistaken.
    On arrival at the hotel late in the evening (around 11pm) it looked quite small and had lots of Xmas/New Year decorations all over the front of the building. Some very helpful porters and staff organised our keys and showed us to our apartment. Upon walking out the back of the main entrance toward the room we were struck by the beautiful complex which had huge palm trees lining a seemingly endless corridor towards the pool area - it looked very beautiful when lit at night.
    We had booked a room with a garden view, which meant we were in one of many small complexes within the grounds - there were approx 20 apartments within each building.
    You will have seen that this hotel is rated as a 5* - it is not. It was perhaps 5* when it first opened, but the decor and general cleanliness has fallen a little short of that. Remember though, that this is Egyptian 5*, and that the price of this hotel is VERY reasonable! I would rate the room overall as a UK 3*, which is still decent for the money we paid (approx GBP30 per person per night). The entire room, including the bathroom were hygienically very clean (very fresh bedding, no dust or dirt anywhere), however, time had taken its toll on the bathroom, which has rusted taps, and a dated suite. I might add however, that the quality (i.e. the power and heat) of the shower was the best I have ever had!!
    I realise that we travelled in early January, but I can honestly say that there was not one mosquito inside our room for our entire stay. Obviously we didnt leave the balcony doors open as it wasnt scorching hot, but I could imagine that for those who travel in the summer who need their doors open, that you would encounter mosquitoes, especially due to the enormity of the pool which is nearby. But then what would you expect in the middle of the desert?? Still, the hotel provide a can of Raid insect killer in each room which we sprayed into the aircon vents just in case.
    Room service was UK quality as I couldnt pick a fault with it - everything changed and tidied as would be expected. My other half even left a very expensive watch on the side table by mistake one day, and although we feared the worst for being in Egypt where I thought theft would be rife, it was still there when we got back after a long day out.
    Breakfast in the hotel was continental, although they had a chef on hand who was cooking english style breakfast items every day (sausages, eggs, etc). The cleaning staff were very efficient as well. We only paid Bed & Breakfast, so cant comment on the evening meals, however, there is a restaurant in the grounds who I think caters for Full Board and the menu looked very good indeed. There is also a cafe/bar by the pool which cook decent food, and serve drinks most of the day and night. I can recommend the Egyptian Koftas and Tahini as a light meal to anyone!! I must say that they have a "cabaret/karaoke" singer on every night who, well, wouldnt get through X-Factor/Pop Idol audition stages!
    The hotel has Ethernet cables in the rooms, although ours didnt work when we plugged it into a laptop (perhaps we had to specifically request it be turned on?). There is also an internet cafe in the hotel lobby, however, they were VERY expensive (around GBP5 for 30 mins only!).
    The hotel has a postal box which is emptied every day, and one of the souvenir shops in the lobby sells stamps and postcards at standard rates.
    The hotel sells all sorts of alcohol, although the wine is somewhat expenise compared to the beer (as it is everywhere in Egypt). A local Stella - which is a very decent beer - sells for around GBP1.80 in the hotel bars, while a bottle of wine is around GBP16. Coffee and tea costs approx GBP1.
    As for the location - well, I had read somewhere that it was a walk from the Pyramids at Giza....I most certainly would not recommend this, unless you want to cut about an hour of your day and risk life and limb crossing the seriously dangerous roads. The hotel has a roof terrace (which apparantly houses a bar in the summer) and you can clearly see the Pyramids from there (I will try to add photos so you can gauge the distance for yourself). I would say that it took approx 15 minutes to reach the Pyramids by taxi, 25 minutes to reach Cairo centre, and approx 40 minutes to get to Cairo airport - these times all with average traffic. The hotel has a taxi desk inside the lobby, but beware as these cabs are extortionate compared to one of the local taxis which base themselves outside the hotel. The hotel taxi service tried to charge E£70 (approx GBP7) to get the Pyramids, while the local black and white cabs charged about E£30! You can haggle both, but the black and white cabs will always win. Of course, you might not always get the most beautiful local cab, but then its all part of the magic of Egypt. We used a posher "limo" cab (not a limo, but they have seatbelts in the back and air con - whereas the black and white cabs have no rear seatbelts and no air con) to get from the airport, and much preferred the black and white ones. Just make sure you haggle whichever cab you use, as they will always initially quote approx double the actual fare they are looking for. There is a chap who drives a cab which is based outside of the hotel who's name is Ali "Schumacher" (so he told us, lol). He spoke very good english, was very polite, knew all of the best places to go, and charged very reasonable rates. We used him throughout our trip, including renting his car for a full day to see the "other" pyramids and it cost us E£200 (approx GBP20)!
    In summary, this hotel is a whole load better than I expected. It is probably the equivalent of UK 3*, but for Egypt - and for the price we paid - it isnt bad at all. We had no problems with mosquitos (although it was winter), and we thought that the hotel complex itself was probably UK 4*, if not bordering on UK 5*.
    The service was excellent, and the food was good. The location is ideal when you think how cheap the taxis are, and I would certainly stay at this hotel again if we visit Cairo in the future.
    I hope this blog helped your decision making process, and I will try to add some photos now.
    Enjoy your stay!

Unique Quality: The pool is absolutely is amazing! The view of the Pyramids is also very good when the weather is clear. The noise - unlike the majority of Cairo - is very low, as it is out of town.

Directions: We took taxis, so I couldnt give directions. The address given above is good enough for any taxi driver though.

• Snipp's Profile Photo

Nice resort with nice garden

Nice resort located between the pyramids and downtown. The english garden style is lovely and the rooms are superb. 2 pools and several restaurants and bars. The staff where very friendly and open and we got all the help for booking activities. The surrounding area are not to nice but inside the walls of the resort it feels very calm and relaxing. Good security with metal detectors and security staff.

Unique Quality: A calm and relaxing resort to relax after a long day of walking and exploring Cairo.

Directions: Taxi from the airport... do NOT try to drive yourself in Cairo.

• vebea's Profile Photo

Cairo hotel

Like: It is a very nice resort in the middle of a large park close to the Gizah Pyramids.
    The rooms are spacious and nice, with a small balcony. Sumptuous breakfast and dinner buffet.
    Dislikes: I did not like the noisy music at night and that it is so far away from the city center. Actually the hotel is in the middle of nowhere.

More about Cataract Pyramids Resort

Excellent Hotel In Cairo

by altfineart about Cataract Pyramids Hotel

We stayed here in April 2005. The hotel is beautiful reminded me more of an amercian apartment complex than a standard hotel. It had many room buildings layed out on beautiful manicured property. There are several restaurants to eat at and even a small coffe shop in the looby where you can buy water and can drinks for your room. The rooms are very nice with mini refrigerators, TV's ours had a sliding door and patio and most seemed to have either this or a balcony. The rooms are quite large larger than any European rooms I have stayed in more along the lines of your usual American hotel room. There are also shops next to the lobby but I didn't buy anything there so I have no idea if they have nice stuff or not or as to the pricing. There is an ATM machine in the loby, but remember you can only get Egypt pounds from ATM's so be sure to bring a bit American money with you. The only negative I would say is that during our stay it rained and there were lots of mosquitoes, so bring bug spray. They have a HUGE pool and the landscaping is gorgeous. Evrything seemed very clean and well kept up.

Cataract Resort Pyramids

by WeirdJules about Cataract Resort Pyramids

Gorgeous swimming pool, lovely breakfast, very quiet -but no shuttle bus to the city centre despite what it says on web sites that I have looked at. (My advice is to get a taxi to the metro station at Giza, and make your way into Cairo from there).

5 star price for a 3 star hotel

by elef_pap about hotel cataract resort

The egyptian system for the hotels rating is not reliable.I stay at this hotel for 4 nights and it was really bad.The cataract is NOT a 5 star not even a 4 star hotel.The external and the public places are ok (the swimming pool is great) but the rooms are in really bad condition.Is like they abandon the rooms.The worst think is the bathroom,not clean and the towels is so used that you are not gonna use it.The stuff is good only when they ask for a tip.Generaly don't stay in this hotel The pool and the La Pergola bar

How Close is the Cataract Pyramids Resort Hotel to the Pyramids?

by altfineart

I am booked to stay at the Cataract Pyramids Resort Hotel on Sakkara Road, El Haraneya, Giza, Egypt. I plan to go to the pyramids on my own and am wondering just how far this hotel is from the pyramids. I can’t find a map of the area showing me this address with the pyramids also on it. Is it possible to get there on my own? I am assuming I could get a taxi, does anyone know approximately how much it would cost to get to the pyramids from the hotel? Also can I get another cab at the pyramids to take me back to the hotel? Thank you so much for all your help the people on this forum are amazing!

by Pharoh_Dino

You have to get out from Sakkara road off to the pyramids street. Thats a 10 minutes drive. The turn left for a 5 minutes drive. You can then choose between one of the two entrances to Giza plateau. Either make no turns & take the one by the Mena House Hotel. Or turn left after you go by a big white mosque (El-SabaH mosque)into Abu El-Hool (sphinx) street. As obviouse from its name, that route will start by sphinx. it's a better route to the pyramids. not that because I was brought up in Abu El-ool street of anything :). Pay the taxi 10 pounds. He will expect & argue for more. But that price even takes care of Dora's kind heart towards Egyptian taxi drivers.

Cheers,
Hazem

by AprilA

Stayed at the Cataract last week. It took us about 8 minutes to the pyramids but there was very little traffic at that time. Be sure to go to the roof of the hotel. There is a really pretty view of the pyramids from there. GORGEOUS at sunset!!
We paid a taxi 40 pounds to take us to the Sound and Light Show, wait on us, drop us at a restaurant, wait on us again and then return us to the hotel.
You will like the hotel. Very clean. Only complaint is horrible service at the food places.
Have a wonderful trip. I am already planning to return later this year.
Aprl

RE: RE: How Close is the Cataract Pyramids Resort Hotel to the Pyramids?

by Saladinos

Wishing you a great time. April and dino are both 100% right on what they say. April: You got a great deals with the taxi drivers I see.

by Saladinos

Sorry but forgot to add on dinos idea to take the abolhol way to the pyramids. He is right it is better. The sphinx was considered the gate keeper so you wouldnt want to upset him neither miss his approval for entry to his pyramids.

Cheers hazem.