City View Hotel

1 El-Bostan St. Al-Tahrir Sq., Cairo, Egypt
City View Hotel
Booking.com Travelocity Hotels.com

More about Cairo

First view of Cairo & The Nile from Air!First view of Cairo & The Nile from Air!

Portico's arches - Dec 07Portico's arches - Dec 07

Our Camel man , who insisted for Bakhsish !Our Camel man , who insisted for Bakhsish !

Gold leaf decoration - Al Rifa'i mosqueGold leaf decoration - Al Rifa'i mosque

City of the Dead

by JARIII

Is there a good guide for touring the Cemetery (City of the Dead) area after a thorough Citadel visit?

Re: City of the Dead

by TheLongTone

Most of the noteworthy monuments are in the Quit Bey cemetary which is the Eastern cemetary: the monuments are concentrated along a single street less than a km long, so you shouldn't really need a guide. The southern cemetary is another matter, very sprawling and if there's anything specific you want to see a guide would be advisable. I'd ask your hotel for arecommendation.

Re: City of the Dead

by vdoortje

We just went there after visiting the Citadel. The lower gate was closed and we wanted to the mosques at the foot of the Citadel. We went around the hill and came to the entrance of the City of the Dead. A policeman told us not to go there, but there was a man selling candy going in there and he took us around the place. You can find pictures of it on my Cairo site.

Travel Tips for Cairo

Friendly, but...

by leigh767

Take this advice offered by my hotel manager on my day of arrival: whenever you need to ask for directions on the streets or anywhere else, only talk to the tourist police (the Men in White). You might be asked for baksheesh (tips) if you ask anyone else, and those who stop by and offer you help before striking up a conversation ("why, I used to study engineering... and I have a friend back in England too!") are out to get commission. I've tried this time and again, and always got dragged into a perfume shop along another street, sometimes in a completely different direction from the one I needed to go in.

So BEWARE.

That said, the people in general are really nice, and you'd often be greeted just walking down a street ("Hello, welcome to Egypt!" "Hello, Japanese! Korean!") This is a man whose name I did not have the foresight to ask.
We ran into him on one of our last days in Egypt.

He drives a taxi in Cairo.

He has three kids, all grown up.

He speaks as much English as we do Arabic.

He has the infectious enthusiasm and curiosity of a kid.

This was taken during sunset, as the trellis of age on his face glowed in the last rays of the day.

This is the man whose face I caught but not the name.

This is a man I got to know, so very briefly, on a random taxi journey.

This is the man with the most stunning green eyes I have ever seen.

Take the time to look beyond...

by nigelkrohn

Take the time to look beyond the obvious tourist attractions. Go to a local restaurant, take local transport to the Pyramids and respect local customs. Drinking tea at Sunset atop Mount Mukkatham, watching Cairo ooze by...

Maadi within Cairo!!

by marimar_72

I first visited Maadi back in 2001 and I fell in love with it immidetly,it`s full of greenary and trees,not as busy as downtown Cairo and has most modern and friendly people and atmoshphere.
Maadi is located to the south of downtown Cairo and It`s almost half an hour drive from downtown Cairo,unless ofcourse the streets are busy,then it`s about 40 minutes drive.

Walk to the Citadel

by sachara

The shortest way we took from Khan El Khalili to the Citadel took half an hour.
This route was rather crowded with a lot of local pedestrians. We didn't see any tourists.
There was not many other traffic in the street, only a few donkey carts, small cars and pick ups, so it didn't bother the pedestrians.

TAX ON THE BUILDINGS.

by cazz38

The first thing that strikes you when you see Cairo is some of the unkept buildings.We found out later that its because they have to pay tax if they finish the buildings.I think it should be the other way around and pay tax for unfinished.

Comments