Dahab Hotel

Dahab Hostel
Hostelworld.com

• jenjenla's Profile Photo

Hostels

Dahab hostel was one of the cheapest hostels we found in downtown Cairo. The rooms are BASIC, shared bath/restrooms are clean, make sure you ask for a room with a fan in the summer (not all of them are equiped). There's free wi-fi. The web site boasts a communal kitchen, this is NOT true. There is a kitchen but the hostel uses it to run a cafe. There is a very nice out door common area, and it is a great spot to meet other travelers.
    Overall, one of my favorite hostels.
    A few warnings:
    -There are two other hostels in the building, they are all more expensive and often times the other owners will try to ambush new arrivals downstairs, don't believe them if they tell you Dahab is full (it may be, but always check yourself).
    -If you are a girl, don't be overly friendly with ANY of the men in the building.
    -Watch your possesions CLOSELY.

• lotharscheer's Profile Photo

Hostel on a rooftop

I think i can recommend Dahab Hotel. It´s on a rooftop an assortment of rooms and dorm with a qute nice atmosphere, with a communal terrase.

Directions: near Midan Talaat Harb.

• boltonian's Profile Photo

Cheap option in Cairo

No air con, very basic accomodation. It is cheap, maybe £2 per night or £3 with private bathroom. Not the cleanest hostel, but what do you expect for the price?

Maybe worth paying a little more for a better hotel, this is very basic. Friendly and helpful staff, nice metting area, decent breakfasts.

An elevator takes you to the rooftop location. A local will try and ask for money to press the button for you. I found the smallest coins were still gratefully received.

Seems to be a lot of long term stays here (people who are working in Cairo). While it was friendly, I got the feeling that many of the guests already knew each other.

There seems to be a regular evening gathering in the courtyard (on the roof too).

They have laundry service, and pretty much next door is an Internet cafe.

Unique Quality: Good location, central to most of what Cairo has to offer icluding Bus and Train station within walking distance. Be aware, if using hostelworld etc, do not rely on the fact you made a reservation. if they are full when you arrive, its tough, your reservation counts for nothing.

When I arrived, my first room was a tiny 1 bed affair with no air con. The next day I managed to upgrade to a bigger room, but still no air con. Was slightly less noisey as it was on the side, not the front (main road).

After my trip to Southern Egypt, I came back to this hotel. It was 'full'. After a long arguement, they found me a 3 bed room with large cooling fan. They wanted me to pay more, despite having already made a reservation. In the end, I paid £5 for the room as I was exhausted.

More about Dahab Hotel

Backapacker's paradise

by markor002002 about Dahab Hotel, Cairo

I don't know if you have been to Cairo before, but if you are planning to stay there for a couple of days and your budget is not the biggest, I would recommend you take a room at "Dahab Hotel". That's a cheap hotel in the absolute city centre of Cairo (between Tahrir and Talaat Harb Square) where you can stay for about 4 USD per night. It's by far not the Nile Hilton but if you just need a bed and want to meet some interesting people, it's for sure the right place to be. Top Roof on (6) floor of builing in center of Cairo, Nice garden...
Single room w/shower 30.L.E
Single room w/o shower 20.L.E
Double room w/shower 35.L.E
Double room w/o shower 25.L.E
Share room w/ shower 15.L.E
Share room w/o shower 10.L.E
This prices are only for the rooms
6LE-1$

Dahab Hotel, Cairo

by MalenaN

It was not easy to find a single room with bathroom when I arrived in Cairo in the beginning of August. After trying a few places I went to Dahab Hotel, which had singles without bath (the ones with private bath were occupied).
Dahab Hotel is on the 7th floor and have rooms arranged around a courtyard area with tables and chairs. This is a good place to meet other travellers and exchange information. The room was small with a bed, a small table and a fan. The shared bathrooms consist of three small toilets, with the showers inside. The price for the room was 20 pounds.
There is a kitchen, which can be used if it is open. And in the morning you can (hopefully) buy breakfast. At 7.45 I asked for breakfast and they said in the reception I should wait 15 minutes for the kitchen man. After half an hour I asked again and they said I should wait another 10 minutes. If the kitchen man had not arrived by then he would not come at all – apparently he doesn’t come every day. At 8.40 he came. Breakfast with tea is 3.00 pounds and breakfast with coffee is 3.50 pounds. I had an extra coffee and was then going to pay 6 pounds. I paid with a 10-pound note. The kitchen man went to get change and came back with 3 pounds and a 5-pound note. He wanted to give me only 3 pounds back and I said it was not okay. He muttered, went away and came back with 4 pounds.
I only stayed at Dahab Hotel one night, and then I moved to Garden City House Hotel, which I liked much more. Guess Dahab had been fine if it hadn’t been my last week on my trip and that I was going to stay in Cairo for that whole week.

Comments