3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Satisfaction Terrible

Costs 40% less but rated 45% lower than other 3.5 star hotels

• kris-t's Profile Photo

A little better than 3* but not 4* yet

The room was big but not clean, filthy dirty actually, especially the bathroom.

Unique Quality: Delta pyramids hotel is the best area that you can see the pyramids.

The view from balcony is just fantastic!

Directions: Situated only three minutes drive from the Great Pyramids

• topguyspb's Profile Photo

Hardly a 4 star hotel

This hotel is rated as a 4-star one, but in reality it isn't. The only great thing about it is that it has an excellent view on the Pyramids of Giza and the rooms are quite big. All the rest is doubtfully good. I spent 11 nights there, and I can easliy spot the following:
    1) Breakfast - ordinary, not much selection, and most of the food is not good.
    2) Service - unhelpful. My room was not cleaned every day, the towels were not changed frequently enough, the carpeted floor was always dirty and dusty. Anyway the most INCREDIBLE thing was that my ipod player was stolen from my room while I was away in the city. It was very well hidden inside my clothes, which means that the cleaning boy was looking for valuables in the room. Of course I wrote a complaint and quarrelled with the personnel but nothing came out of it. And certainly I realize that it was my mistake to leave any valuable in a hotel in a country like Egypt.
    3) If you have a room with a view on the Pyramids, then be prepared to listen to noises coming from the street 24 hours. My friend even bought earplugs to sleep better :)
    4) If you plan to stay in this hotel for more than one night and go to the city later, be aware of constant traffic jams in this area. Sometimes it took me about an hour to get to the nearest metro station.
    5) Room - on the plus side it was really big and had a view on the Pyramids. On the other hand it had very old furniture (from the 70s I guess), hot water was not always available, it was badly cleaned.
    6) Swimming pool - located on the roof. Quite smalla and dirty. But maybe during hot months (I was there in January) it could be a good escape of the hottness.
    7) Sport facilities - awful. Prehistoric gym (you have to pay for it!!!) and an ugly sauna (you have to pay as well)

• topguyspb's Profile Photo

Far from being a 4 star hotel!

1) Breakfast - ordinary, not much selection, and most of the food is not good.

Anyway despite the awful hotel my trip to Egypt was unforgettable and incedible!!! So don't get me wrong please, this note was about the hotel only!

• Court94403's Profile Photo

The Best of the Worst?

This was my second visit to this hotel. On my first visit the staff was very nice. On my second visit with my husband, not so great. My husband paid the non-tourist price because he is Egyptian. However I paid the price of a tourist which was fine but, because we were not in their eyes married (we were in Cairo to file our marriage contract and get the legally stamped paperwork). We even showed the Manager, (Mr. Moustaffa) our legally drawn-up (by a lawyer) marriage contract. They made us stay in two separate rooms, and constantly had hotel staff watch us all over the hotel all hours of the day and night during our stay. They even woke me up at 7:30 am to make sure my husband was not in my room.

On our last evening at the hotel we were asked to leave by 2 p.m. supposedly because they over-booked the hotel and needed the extra rooms. We were offered a hotel down the street, for the last 8 hours of our stay in Cairo but we had to pay another 90.00 USD! On our way out of the hotel my clothes were handed to me in a plastic bag. (They lost my clothes earlier in the week when I had them sent to the laundry to be cleaned). Because my husband and I could only be seen together in public we spent many hours upstairs in the hotel cafe. We ordered snacks, sodas, lattes etc., and were charged for the on the spot, them, when we saw the credit card bill we were charged again! Most days the staff tried to be "nice" but actually were a little condescending.

The manager himself even made a little nasty remark about the hotel they were sending us to,"The hotel you are going to is a four star hotel HA HA HA". Everyone at the front desk seemed to enjoy his little joke. There are plenty of other wonderful hotels where the staff is friendly and courteous. Please don't ever stay here!

Unique Quality: The nicest thing I can say about this hotel is that it has an outstanding view of the Pyramids on the very top floor.

• Delta Pyramids Hotel

Delta Pyramids Hotel

Unique Quality: First and foremost - you'll enjoy the splendid panoramic view of the pyramids (see the picture). There is a pool on the roof, but it is very small. Certainly the hotel offers central air condition. Only one problem - it takes long to wait for the elevator.

More about Delta Pyramids Hotel

Closer to Pyramids

by viddra about Delta Pyramids

This is a 4 - star hotel with rooms over looking the pyramids.

All rooms have A/C, mini fridge, satellite TV and a telephone.

There's a panorama restaurant on the top floor from where you can see the pyramids as well.

There's also a swimming pool on the top floor, a restaurant on the ground floor, where you can have your meals, shops...

Giza

by Kuznetsov_Sergey

Giza is a suburb of Cairo. It is located on the distance of 12 kilometers from the center. To get Giza it is necessary to cross the Nile across one of bridges and appear on the left bank.

The well-known Pyramids have made Giza world renowned. Though I did not know that Giza is the big city enough. We lived in the hotel located in Giza. I could observe Pyramids from my window. It is impossible to come to Egypt and not to have a look at the Pyramids of Giza and the Great Sphinx!

One of the Seven World Miracles involves millions tourists among whom I have appeared in August 2007.
Second photo: Khufu Pyramid.
Third photo: Khafre Pyramid.
Forth photo: Great Sphinx.
Fifth photo: Laser Show.

You may read my Giza VT-page and watch my Pyramids of Giza SLIDE-Show from my WebShot Page.

You may watch my VIDEO-Clips from my personal YouTube channel:
4 min 06 sec Egypt Giza Light and Sound Show 2007
1 min 25 sec Egypt Giza Wedding 2007

Cairo and the Pyramids

by cyprusnic

"Arriving in a city of chaos"

This was my latest trip I did and a particular interesting one. My expectations of Cairo (القاهرة) were exceptionally high and different from what the city turned out to be. Due to the time limit we had there, our travel was mostly limited to the main-attractions which normally I try to avoid mostly.

We arrived at Cairo International Airport and had a rental car arranged to be instantly independent. The car rental agent looked terribly overloaded with doing his thing and we ended up almost getting a fine from the police as we blocked the drop-off area for approximately 30 minutes until the guy managed to get the paperwork sorted out. Off we went to find out Hotel in the middle of the night on the other side of town in Gizah. Directions or maps are, let me tell you, totally useless as there are no street signs, traffic lights (which work) or signs which actually tell you something useful. We ended up driving for 1 1/2 hours via, I have no idea where, ended up in the center and managed with stopping and asking 20 times to find the boulevard towards Gizah. The traffic is by far the most chaotic I've ever seen. Cars without lights, a 3-lane road where there are 6 cars next to each other...it's amazing.

The most stunning experience was however, driving on that busy boulevard and suddenly seeing the Pyramids coming out of the haze. They are as you expect them to be. Just amazing! They are big; and I mean really big. And they are just about 1/2 mile next to this busy city.

Soon after, we arrived at out booked hotel, the Delta Pyramids Hotel. All my excitement was gone instantly after seeing the bell-boy and his torn clothes, the dirty lobby and the really, really strange smell in that Hotel. This is something I've learned (many people told me but I didn't want to listen). In a country like Egypt, don't try to be Mr. Smarty-pants to save money. You will regret it. I don't even want to go into details but the bottom line is that we checked out 30 minutes after we arrived and moved to the Le Meridien Pyramids which was terribly expensive but offered at least sheets without brown stains on them which at 3 am was sooo worth it.

Sitting down on my bed, I realized something. Egypt might be a Top-Holiday destination but it's a poor country. I still have that bellboy in my mind. He was really friendly but there I had the first glimps of what live in Cairo is like. I fell asleep on my clean sheets with a lot of plans for the next day.

"The Pyramids"

After a good night rest and a nice breakfast, we decided to walk from the Hotel to the Great Pyramids. This was, as it turned out, a big mistake. One thing I already noticed after 30 minutes outside of the Hotel is that as a non-Egyptian, you are a walking wallet. We walked down that endless road and ended up at the entrance to the Pyramids. As soon as we stepped foot in this tourist area we had a guy on our neck to arrange everything for a really cheap price and so on. And the thing is, they won’t go away. You can be nice, you can be rude. They don't give a crap. So after following us for about 10 minutes, a rich looking family turned up and he was gone. This repeated itself in the entire Holiday and ended up being the reason for not wanting to go anywhere anymore again.

We arrived at the ticket counter and found out that (as I already thought) that we did not get there on time to get one of the 100 tickets to the Great Pyramid. One nice lady explained that it virtually impossible to get these tickets. You have people waiting there already for hours before it opens to buy all the tickets for tour operators so unless you like to get up when it's still dark outside, you wont get one. But as it turned out, the 'smaller' Pyramid showed basically everything but more to that later. So we started out battle to the Pyramids. Getting rid of all these Camel/Tour-guide/Taxi people, we managed to get to the Pyramids. The walk from the entrance to the first Pyramid alone takes about 5 minutes. The problem is that this humidity, which is constantly in the air, makes it impossible to walk. We were soaking wet. I am used to temperatures above 40 degrees C for weeks on end but this was really bad. But I say it again. The Pyramids are fascinating. They are so enormous and stunning... I can't find words to describe them so it is really worth the hassle. We managed to get to the smaller Pyramid for which we had a ticket. People came out with a red head, wet t-shirts and a really annoyed look on their faces, which made us a little worried. Anyway, we went inside. This is something which should really not be done if you are a: claustrophobic b: not in good shape c: clever. You have to walk approx. 300 feet down a tiny tunnel (about 3x3 ft) with such humidity that my entire clothes were soaked by the time we reached the bottom. And then comes what we've been waiting for... an empty chamber without anything inside it. Yes, that was as you might realize a little disappointing. And the best part is that you have to squish yourself through that tiny tunnel again to reach the exit. Yeah!

After being outside again, we went down the other side of the hill towards the Sphinx. This is as well a monument not to be missed however, it is a little smaller than one might expect. We had a drink in the cafe next to it. The prices there push Europe in the shadow but we were thirsty and hot; and they knew that. So I was very willing to pay a little more to feel like alive again and enjoyed to view to these majestic monuments.

On the way back we decided to avoid the Camels (my partner almost got run over by one) and walk through the city.

Gizah is very dirty and the people seem to be very poor. Side roads are not paved, cars are generally aged 20 yrs or more and the buildings lack of any sort of beauty. So we walked back to the hotel. Hot, sweaty, and looking forward to shower and spend this afternoon in the Hotel on the pool.

Overall, it was a nice experience and I would recommend everybody who goes to Cairo not to miss this.

"Cairo and more"

In the evening on the first day, we wanted to enjoy a nice dinner and as I am a fan of Hard Rock Cafe, we decided to drive to downtown Cairo and enjoy a nice meal. After 45 minutes of driving and a 5-year shorter life, we arrived at the Grand Hyatt Hotel. This hotel is luxury, as you haven't seen it before. One thing I learned about Arabs is that they do know how to spend and show it. It is situated on the Nile and has a rotating restaurant on the top from which I am sure you have a beautiful view over this great city. However, as we were here for the HRC we didn't get to see that. The HRC is situated on the ground floor of the Grand Hyatt and has a very nice view over the Nile and the Cairo Tower. We had a really good time there and once again, avoided food poisoning.

The next morning we decided to see the center of the city as our trip latest only 3 days. One very bad thing about Cairo is that besides the terrifying traffic it is nearly impossible to find parking. We ended up parking always at Hotels as it is much easier and you are sure you don't have a donkey parked in front of your car when you come back. We went to the Egyptian Museum. This museum could be much nicer than it is, as it seems run without much care. It is filled with people, no A/C or significant windows and therefore already tiring to walk. You definitely need a guide for this museum as there are almost no labels on the items and therefore it turned out to be rather boring. We ended up looking at things we had no idea what they were so we didn't spend as much time there as it probably deserves. The mummy room is an extra EGP 100 which I find a little steep but this was one of the couple of things which I saw tags and explanations.

We went from the Museum straight towards the Cairo Tower in the middle of Cairo (Gezira). This area is by far the most beautiful in Cairo. The streets are clean, the Housed are kept neat and it's such a green part of town; you almost forget you are on the edge of the Dessert. The Cairo Tower is surrounded with a nice park and the views are exceptional. We had lunch there and once the mist cleared a little we managed to get a view of the Pyramids again. I really enjoyed the time there are we walked through the streets and just basically sucked up all the beauty in this oasis.

In the late afternoon, we went to the City Stars Mall in Nouzha as we thought 'hey, Egypt is cheap so let's go shopping'. This might apply to the bazaar but definitely not to this western style mega mall. You can find everything there but for higher prices than probably in Europe.

The evening ended for us back in the Hotel where we had tried the Mexican Restaurant which had nice food and was, very important for me after too much walking' close to my bed.

The last day in Cairo, we went to expose the Bent and Red Pyramid about 30 minutes south of Cairo. These two Pyramids are actually more ‘Egyptian’ than the ones in Gizah and by far less crowded. Driving along a dirty road through Palm Tree forest, we ended up at Dashur village, which had the flair of a refugee village in Congo. So I don't have to point out that we didn't spend more time there than it took us to drive through it. The Red and Bent Pyramid are a little more in the dessert and therefore also a little more special to me. We just sat outside there fore a while and inhaled the open space and the view. The inside of the Red Pyramid (Yes, we did it again!) is more interesting as it consists of 2 chambers and it's far less humid and hot inside which makes the entire experience much more refreshing. However, my excitement was ruined again by two camel-riding police officers which seemed very friendly (I should have known) just to get tips out of us afterwards for watching our rental car (in the middle of the dessert!).

We went to the Airport after that, disappointed and tired. I respect Egypt deeply for it's achievements but I also saw that I am not ready to explore a country with still so many problems just now.

Unmarried couple (muslim+non-muslim) visiting Egypt

by maya14

Hi,
Can someone tell if i can travel and stay in one room with my boyfriend who is legally a muslim and come from another muslim country? I know that it's illegal for Egyptians, but i don't know if this law is applied to other muslims tourist.
I do respect the culture and the law over there,it's just that it's cheaper to get one room rather than 2....
Thanks so much for any replies....

by Moiyedh

Yes.. it will work as far as both of you arent Egyptians... I have done that... and didnt face any problems...

by Court94403

Hi,
If you and your Muslim boyfriend have the same passport from the same country it should no problem. If you don't you will probably have to pay for two separate rooms. My husband and I are legally married and because we didn't have the legal marriage stamp from the Office of Foreign Ministry we spent four days paying for 2 different rooms at a hotel in Cairo. (we were in Cairo to get the stamp). BTW, don't stay at The Delta Pyramids Hotel on King Faisel Rd. in Cairo. Even cheaper hotels are not even willing to give you a room together. Again, nine times out of ten, if you you have different passports from different countries you may have a problem. Be very careful!

Take Care,

by Pharohtemo

muslim + non-mulsim (both are not Egyptians) = No problem to stay at the same room.
If he is Egyptian then forget about it and u can have someway to avoide the problem (Unofficial Marriage paper)
Afterall many things can be settled with little extra money cuz it is better to give u both one room and keep other for usage with another guest.
Think of renting a flat , it is much better and more easy.

by sharmdreaming

Hi i think you will find if he is from another country with i non egyption passport you will have no problem i have stayed in Sharm with a guy from Sudan i was not married to at the time, but if he had egyption passport forget it no chance

Comments