Cairo, Egypt

Costs 28% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Cairo

SantanaSantana

The NileThe Nile

The Citadel and Mosque of Muhammad Ali, CairoThe Citadel and Mosque of Muhammad Ali, Cairo

I'm here - againI'm here - again

Where to buy tickets for Pyramids Sound and Light show ?

by lbalacha

What is the best way to buy tickets for the Sound and Light show at the Pyramids, which includes pickup and drop off at Hotel in Giza ? Our travel agent is asking $50 USD per person for the same, which I think is very steep.

by leics

Can't help with sourcing tickets but it seems from a quick google that a rate of around 50USD (30GBP) is pretty general for show + private pick-up/drop-off.

Here's the official website for the show...you can explore costs etc there and find out if organising a taxi & your own tickets will be better value:

Unfortunately their online reservation thing will not work for me, but you could send them a direct email (contact info on site).

by Odinnthor

Yes I agree. The price for show/transfers is about right, for one person that is. I would buy the tickets/transfers from a local operator and avoid the middleman. Also the price goes down depending on the number of people. One person, average cost is $50.00. For 2-3 people the price drops to average $35.00. If you have 14-20 people it frops further to $22.00 average.

If you are dealing with a U.S. travel agent, he/she will charge you the "one person price" per person. Hence, buying from a local operator will be cost effective, - unless there is just you. Here is an example, but only an example. There are many reliable sources for the show, locally.

by al2401

Information will also be available from your hotel in Giza. The show runs a number of times each night but in different languages - or it did in 2007.

by tamerelserafi

online reservation from the website ... or from the ticket outlet at Pyramids but you should be there a little bit early to reserve

Travel Tips for Cairo

Buildings in Cairo to Wonder About....

by freddie18

There are a couple of buildings in Old Cairo which really look very old. I cannot help but think if these were built more than 100 years ago.

Two of my photos have signs of a bazaar, a museum, papyrus, and perfume. I took the pictures when I was in the city of Giza touring the pyramids and sphinx. These buildings catches my attention and took a shot. Are they still operational, I asked? No one heard me. Maybe you know if it does. Let me know! Well, I can see clothesline on the rooftop so I concluded people lives there.

The other three photos were taken when I was waiting for our tour guide outside the Cairo Museum in front of a Souvenir Shop. I took notice of the highrise buildings just on the other side of the fence. Curious, curious, curious.

Can't help but think of checking all these buildings next time I visit Cairo. Why not? Could already be part of the Egyptian history!

Postcards

by belgrade03

Always expect that you arrive back home BEFORE postcards you sent to your friends. Be happy if they arrive at all. When you see what the Egyptians are like, thinking about the money now and here, you will understand why postcards usually travel more than 2 weeks to their destination. They have absolutely great postcards but act very unprofessionally when it comes to postcard delivery.

The Beautiful People

by pangtidor

You may read many warnings from me about the safety and bad experiences I had experienced in Cairo in cairo forums or in my tips. Nevertheless, I met Cairo`s beautiful people too. The cute children who are excited to observe the foreigners spending time in their beloved hometown and the elders who are proud to be the egyptians and welcome you to explore their country. Some people may ask you to take pictures with them as they find that your feature is totally different with theirs. Just smile, appreciate your host warm welcome, and take some shoots with them.

Misunderstood Cairo Cabbies...

by kenmerk

After reading the horror stories about Cairo cabbies, I was really bracing for a battle the first time I got in one... The LP book said the fare should be 5 EP for where I wanted to go...

"How much to the Sheraton?" "Ten Pounds...."

"I'll give you five..." "OK, sir, lets go..." (hmmmm.. that was easy?!?!?)

I can say that I didnt encounter any problems at all with the taxi drivers here.... Most were actually pretty friendly.... (sure they probably charged me a couple pounds too much, but what is $0.35 USD amongst friends ????)

Dress Conservatively

by mtcowgirl

I was a single woman traveler when I went to Cairo in 2005. I'm happy to say that I didn't experience any problems during the week I was there.

When asked what to wear in Cairo, I always suggest that women dress conservatively. You don't need to completely cover up but capri pants and short sleeve-shirts are highly recommended. I wandered around in capris, tunic shirts, and sandals for most of my trip. I noticed that most of the other women also wore similar clothing.

It is not necessary to cover your head. Sometimes as a sign of respect, you may wish to wear a scarf when you go into a mosque but it is not required. However, if you plan on going into a mosque, it's advised that you wear light but long-sleeved shirts and at least capri-length pants. In some mosques, anyone not meeting these requirements will be refused admittance or be asked to wear a big funny-looking robe/sheet thing in a bright blue color (you'll easily be picked out as the person who didn't dress properly!)

Wearing sleeveless shirts or tight clothing can draw unwanted attention and sometimes the wearer will be groped/pinched if in close proximity to local men. It was during one of my friend's trips that a woman chose to wear skin-tight lycra pants and a tank-top when going to the museum and they said that in the block walk from the bus to the entrance she basically got pinched black and blue by the local men.

Comments