Gamaet El Dowal El Arbia Street, Mohandesin Area, Cairo, 12411, Egypt
Hotels.com Expedia.com Priceline.com

More about Cairo

Boys ogling at the girlsBoys ogling at the girls

Bent pyramids - SaqqaraBent pyramids - Saqqara

Me & Rakhi in front of Grand PyramidMe & Rakhi in front of Grand Pyramid

Alabaster MosqueAlabaster Mosque

Airport

by canadiantraveller87

I feel a little silly asking this question, but I want to be as respectful as possible on my trip to Cairo. I will be meeting up with my boyfriend in Cairo and he will be meeting me at the airport. I just want to know if it would be disrespectful to give him a hug when I see him for the first time? I know this wouldn't be appropriate out in public as public displays of affection are not the norm, but just want to know if this would be the wrong thing to do at the airport. Thanks in advance all!

by mitata

Take it easy... You can hug him tightly
have nice trip

by fossettes

I love that you asked this question! So many people wouldn't even consider it. As the other poster mentioned - it's not a problem! My husband lived in Saudi Arabia and my daughter and I couldn't join him there. We met up in Egypt one trip and Jordan another. Each time we met (and departed) with hugs and kisses on the cheeks... no one turned an eye. Just resist the temptation to get carried away!!! Have a great trip.

by nicolaitan

<> ---- in the baggage claim area.

by marimar_72

hug him :D

by uglyscot

Probably it'll be Ok. I have seen couples being told to stop , but if so, do so at once and leave all the emotions till you get back to where you are staying.

by vdoortje

No problem at all!

When we go to Egypt our Egyptian friend will pick us up from the airport and he always hugs us. He lives in Cairo all his life and I think he should know what is accepted and what isn't.

by hebaemam

dearm mam,
im egyptian....and according to my knoweledge that we have a law that prohibit doing sinfull or shamfull acts in the streets....
but speaking about hugs and meeting kisses, no one will bather you at all.

i my self hug and cheak kiss my husband in such cases, but a quick one so as to avoid people looking at us. no more no less.
considering seeing him for the first time... then it depends on him... if he is relegious muslim then he might get shy of such a thing if not i dont think he will mind he might even like it.

have a nice trip

by Catw

I'd advise you do not do in on the street, but in any touristic venue, including the airport, it's not a problem at all.

Travel Tips for Cairo

Shukran Jazleen (Thank you very much)

by shelnlin

I really missed the wonderful doorman at the Victoria Hotel when we went to Luxor. He was terrific in giving us advice on how to get anywhere from a train to grabbing a taxi to get out and about to all the sites, basically he had good knowledge of his country and gave great service. This man had a toothless grin and had probably been working at the Hotel from time he was a young man. I was very grateful to him as he opened the door for us each day and towards the early evening. I do not remember his name but he was the only person I felt compelled to give Baksheesh (tips) to in Cairo. He was geniune and never asked for anything but with the service he gave, I felt he deserved it. He worked hard to help others and it showed. He would have been a great person to have showing you around all the Pyramids and other places of interest making sure that you wouldn't get ripped off. A great person who truly deserves this recogniton. Shukran jazleen!

THE COPTIC MUSEUM

Located in...

by SirRichard

THE COPTIC MUSEUM

Located in Old Cairo, surrounded by narrow old streets (and shady too!!), near Mar Girgis metro station. Open 9a.m.-4p.m. Entrance fee LE16 for tourists.
Located within the old Roman Fortress of Babylon, this museum holds an impressive collections of artifacts dating back to the early Christian times (1st - 7th centuries). Step outside to admire and visit the nearby churches.

Inside Kephren Pyramid

by Diana75

Visiting one of the Pyramids is an experience not to be missed in Cairo.

The entrance fee depends on the Pyramid to visit, but in case you decide to visit the Great Pyramid (Cheops Pyramid) is better to wake up early in the morning, otherwise it will be almost impossible to enter.

We have chosen Kephren Pyramid because it is smaller and we had less to walk inside. It was not a bad choice at all because the air inside was very hot and we got wet immediately.

For entering the Kephren Pyramid we paid 20 Egyptian Pounds (5 Egyptian Pounds = 1 USD) and the tickets can be bought from the kiosk close to the pyramid.

go to Heliopolis.
Founded in...

by MProcher

go to Heliopolis.
Founded in the times of the protektorate as a high society area for the British army and their relatives the Heliopolis of today is still one of the better parts to live. Heliopolis has some 2.5 million inhabitants. The main streets and the beautiful villas are worth a visit.
Pic shows: Baghdad Street - Sharia al Baghdad with it's anglo-indian kolonial style. More pics in the travelogue.

Tipping

by Weener

It is expected to trip for everything, which was a little bit of a suprise.

The most suprising, being asked for tips to take bags of the carousel at Cairo airport arrivals hall, and toilet paper tips to the staff staff in the toilets at the airport (you wont get any otherwise!)

Be prepared to get some change, Egyptian 1 or 2 pounds will be suffice. We were giving far too much when we first arrived.

Comments