Horreya Hotel

14 Horreya Street, Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt

More about Cairo

One of the sales girl explaining.One of the sales girl explaining.

Ceiling & dome - Dec 07Ceiling & dome - Dec 07

Inside the Bus.Inside the Bus.

Minbar - Al Rifa'i mosqueMinbar - Al Rifa'i mosque

Giza or downtown

by xsweety

hi

i have 2 stops in cairo one at start of my trip & next in the end as my flights in & out of egypt are from cairo. so was wondering if i should stay in different areas at both times.

Was little confused if it makes sence to stay downtown in the start or giza as its close to pyramids?

how far is airport from Giza?
how far is railway station from Egyptian museum?

plz help.

by mirkani

Hi xsweety,
I always stay downtown as there is a bigger choice of budget hotels as well as restaurants. The taxi is rather cheap in Egypt so you might consider taking one for half day visiting pyramids.Railway station is a short taxi distance from the Egyptian museum. You can take a taxi to the airport too.

by TheLongTone

Stay downtown, much more going on. Ramsae staion to the Egyptian museum can be done on the metro...it's three or four stops.

by GrumpyDiver

Giza is out in the suburbs, so there isn't much there other than the pyramids and desert. Stay downtown - a much greater choice of places to stay, eat and visit.

by xsweety

many thanks for all replies. i'm certain i'll stay down town now.

planing to stay in City View or Egyptain Nights (which one do you suggest) immd as i land in egypt. Any suggestions for which hotel in downtown to say on return.. as i have my flight back from cairo. was thinking someplace closer to some shopping would be good.

Travel Tips for Cairo

Licensed Egyptologist & Private Tour Guide Availab

by gsimington

Simply email me to be connected with a wonderfully personable, independent, licensed tour guide with a Master's Degree in Egyptology, who is one of the few tour guides in Egypt who speaks both fluent English and German without a heavy accent. He is well versed in all aspects of ancient and modern Egyptian history and provides superior tours at very reasonable prices.

Satisfied clients have said:

"I think the most significant statement I can make is that if Ibrahim says he will do something, he will do it! He was on time, every time."

"Ibrahim speaks multiple languages, and he speaks English fluently, knowing many words and phrases that demonstrated a thorough understanding of the language. His vocabulary was outstanding, and his pronunciation was impeccable! The depth of his knowledge on a multitude of subjects was quite impressive. This was no ordinary guide, or even just a good one! We have traveled independently and frequently for many years. We hire private guides and drivers when we are in an area where we do not want to drive and public transportation is inadequate, or when we feel the history of the destination is significant and we want to know more about it. We have used private guides in Greece, Morocco, Turkey, Malta, Thailand, Philippines, etc. Ibrahim was the best all round guide we have ever used." "Whether you have an idea of what you want to see, or you just want to leave it up to Ibrahim to plan your visit, you will not be disappointed. For example, I took a tour of Coptic Cairo with a different guide. When I took a tour of Coptic Cairo with Ibrahim, I was amazed at the difference -- I learned so much more. Ibrahim never rushes, and you can ask him anything. He also knows good places for lunch -- just let him know if you want to be served or go through a buffet line. His service is all about helping you get the most out of your visit."

"Ibrahim emphasized on multiple occasions that this was our vacation and our money! He asked for feedback frequently, such as are we going too fast, too slow, too much or not enough detail, speaking loudly enough, and summarizing at the end of the day with “what should I have done differently”?"

"I only have the highest praise for Ibrahim. He accompanied my partner and I on a recent trip on the Nile and around Cairo and it was a fantastic experience. His knowledge of everything is superb and everything went smoothly ... as we said afterwards, it was absolutely "hassle free. Safety was also a concern for us and we felt very taken care of in that respect as well."

"We found his fees to be reasonable and he exceeded our expectations in his flexibility to work with us on what we wanted to see and where we wanted to go. We found more than a guide in Abe, we found a wonderful friend that we still periodically stay in touch with. I'm sure you will find a friend in him too!!"

"Our family will always have wonderful memories of our Egyptian adventure, and I know we have Ibrahim to thank for making it so personal and so meaningful, as well as so hassle-free. Without him we would have had to do a lot more coping, and I know the trip would have been much less enjoyable."

Many more references available.

gsimington@gmail.com

Egyptian "Red Square":)

by pretty33555

Why do people go to Egypt? I mean, what do they want to see there?
So that reason made us make such a long trip by bus from Hurghada to Cairo to see pyramids.
Besides we didn't thought it smart to come to Egypt for the 2d time and not to see pyramids. That's a NONSENSE!
It took us only 25 minutes to get to Giza from Cairo by bus. When the tops of pyramids just appeared I thought:"God! For us it's just a dream to come true, but they see them everydaywhen they wake up and look over the window.!"

Day 1 - Arrival Cairo

by vigi

It was already 5pm when my plane touched down in Cairo. I found myself in a totally different world. Everything is different, people, street, smell, language, color, etc. After checking into the hotel, I took a little walk around the area. Cairo street is very busy, I waited for over 5 mins, and found that it's not possible to cross the road if I waited for the traffic light. The only method is to stick & follow the locals, they cross, I cross.

A Boat Trip Along The Nile

by maxovna

Make a boat trip along the Nile. The boat itself is gorgeous - two-storeyed, decorated with Oriental ornamental pattern. I enjoyed the music and belly-dancers, the entertainment was lavish - it was really a festival! Only one paradox - the air conditioning was so strong that we would go out to the deck to get some warmth!

Female only cars on metro

by syhto

I tried riding the metro and jumped in only to realize it was for females only. I got off at the next stop and hopped into another section. Although no one said anything I may have offended the ladies so please be careful.

Comments