2.5 out of 5 stars2.5 Stars

AMOMA.com Otel.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 29% less than similarly rated 2.5 star hotels

• Very Bad customer Service

I had booked the Longchamps for my journey to Cairo in November 2011. We had booked 2 rooms. All had gone well and I had also requested them to arrange for hotel pickup and help in acquiring train tickets for my trip to Aswan. The booking was confirmed by Hebba who on the outset was a fantastic person to deal with.

Yesterday I emailed them regarding a single letter or email to confirm the booking so that I can present the same to the Egyptian embassy here in India for my visa as part of their requirements. However Hebba denied the same, which was fine by me, but she actually went across and cancelled our booking.

I was shocked at this and tried to communicate to them both on email and on phone trying to understand where the problem is. Hebba was extremely rude and point blank told me that she had sold my rooms to somebody else.

On further inquiring as to why this was done, she said that I had not shared with her the security code for my CC, which by the way I had shared along with all other details of my credit card.

After this i got a email from Hebba saying that they are not allowed to help foreign nationals acquire travel visa because of the political condition that is why she cancelled the same. Which again i don't understand? Asking for a confirmation of our booking cannot be related to helping us acquire a travel visa and thus cancelling our booking. This is so unacceptable.

This is absolutely horrible customer service. The hotel might be nice for many people however we had a bad experience before we entered the hotel with the reservation being cancelled only because we asked for a letter/email to get our visas.

BTW all other hotels (in Aswan, Luxor and Hurgada) sent us the booking confirmation via email for visa and did not create any issues. Moreover none of them asked for CC details at the time of booking only a conformation call from our end 24 hours before check in.

I don't understand that why was this done. Was it because I had requested a letter/email confirming the booking? I find it hard to believe, because other hotels sent me the same. There reason of not providing CC details is also not correct because I did that. What I feel is that they got a higher price on their rooms and these were just excuses to cancel the booking and sell it again on higher price. Which if being the case is very unprofessional and unjustified.

I would advice people who booking the hotel to please not argue with Hebba or ask for any help, because if you do so, they will cancel your booking without any reason.

• Very Bad customer Service

• Yanche's Profile Photo

Hotel Longchamps - Cairo

The best (relatively) cheap accomodation that I ever had. Longchamps is a cosy small hotel at the 5th floor of an apartment building in Zamalek. Plenty of books, posters of cultural events and pictures as well as incredibly kind staff. Prices and photoes that you an find on their web-site www.hotellongchamps.com are real. A very nice terrace!
    I stayed in the 5-stars Cairo hotels before but since I discovered Longchamps I will never go to another hotel in Cairo ....

• kaplan's Profile Photo

The very best hotel in Cairo

I stayed in this hotel for only 2 days in September 2005. I fell in love with the hotel at once. This is a 3-star hotel, small, only have 30 rooms, but the reception managed to remember the name of the clients. I saw many clients came back to the hotel when they came to Cairo. The hotel provide nice room, attached bathroom, a small garden outside the room, and the reception is very very helpful to tourist.

Unique Quality: Great balcony! Great interior ambience! Great staffs!!!!!!Feel safe with this hotel. The surrounding area is great too! A shopping market nearby.

More about Hotel Longchamps

Hotel Longchamps, in the...

by Luis_Alberto

Hotel Longchamps, in the Zamalek area, just a handsome little hotel, run by a charismatic lady, Hebbra. Also Hotel Victoria at 66, Gomhouria St. not far from Ramses train station, about 4 to 5 blocks., an old colonial hotel, with lots of European charm. for 35 US a night.
HERE IS A PICTURE OF THE NILE HILTON, AN OLD FAVORITE HOTEL, WITH LOTS OF CHARM.

Home far away from home

by Nunnuli about Hotel Longchamps, Cairo

I have stayed in the Hotel Longchamps twice now and will be going there again October 2010. The hotel is very small and is located in an apartment building in a quiet neighbourhood in Zamalek Island in the centre of Cairo. To be in the centre of a city like Cairo and sleep well without almost any noice around is amazing. The hotel is in a walking distance from the Cairo Museum but because in Cairo taxis are extremely cheap and the weather is usually hot, I prefer a taxi. The hotel rating I guess is two or three stars, but the only explanation for that in my mind is that there is no swimming pool. Comparing to other hotels in Egypt I've been in (3-5 stars), Hotel Longchamps is clean, home-kind, has extremely good service and people around who really care about your safety and satisfacion. In this hotel you are a guest, not a customer.. or this is how they make you feel. The owner of the hotel will do everything in her power to make your stay in Cairo comfortable and happy. Even the other quests in the hotel are more like neighbours, not just some people passing by. There is a balcony where in the evenings you can have a beer or coffee and talk to other guests about experiences in the magical city of Cairo. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to people who need guides, busses and someone holding their hands all the time while they are in Cairo, but the ones who want to explore and have any own imagination, this is the place to be in Cairo!

Cairo;s Best Kept Accommodation Secret

by petsim about Hotel Longchamps

As a frequent visitor to Cairo, I have been staying at the Longchamps hotel for years. Over the years I have seen many changes in the Longchamps and all for the better. The hotel is owned and run by the wonderful Madame Hebba Bakri and she is resolute in making her hotel the premier 3 star in Cairo.

The hotel has nearly finished a total rooms refurbishment and the results are wonderful – calm, soothing colour schemes and custom built furniture with all the accessories required for a very comfortable stay – the new bathrooms are a high point. Hebba runs her hotel with the finesse of a true professional – she cares that her guests are offered hospitality. At the Longchamps do not expect to be ripped off with over pricing, profiteering with day trip sales, etc. This just does not happen with the Longchamps. What does happen is an over whelming friendliness from all staff, truthful answers to your questions and a desire to please and ensure that you enjoy your stay in Cairo as well as at the Longchamps.

The clientele is mostly independent travelers from Europe – and many European languages are spoken by Hebba and her staff – making it easy for you to understand and not feel lost with the shrug of the shoulders that you will receive in other hotels that only want your money. The Longchamps is big enough to feel like an hotel but small enough not to use group travel – thankfully. So it will mean a hotel full of eclectic and interesting people – many is the conversations I have had in the Longchamps with archeologists, diplomats, business travelers etc.

Travel is about difference, culture and peoples meeting and understanding – in the Longchamps Hebba and her team achieve this actively. Check-in, relax and absorb the wonderful atmosphere that is the Longchamps – it is a Home, along way from Home. Hotels like this deserve to be supported and applauded – they dare to do what the 5 Stars cannot do – make you feel welcome, remembered and special. Not only is hospitality an art at the Longchamps but so are memories. The Owner
The Staff
The Friendliness
The Guests
The Cleanliness
The Location
The Prices

Excellent value for money hotel

by TripAdvisor Member NicholaB

Hotel Longchamps is situated on Zamalek, which is considered one of the better parts of Cairo (the area is’s much less noisy, has some very good restaurants and is a bit cleaner than other parts).

The hotel is considered a budget hotel and when you first arrive you may wonder what you have let yourself in for, as it is situated within a small block of apartments and is easy to walk past the entrance without realising it’s a hotel. You have to take one of the two small antiquated lifts to the 5th floor to reach the hotel itself. Once in the hotel things are much better. It reminded us of a European boutique type hotel, full of interesting little nik naks, it is well decorated and kept spotlessly clean. The owner and the staff were the best that we found on our trip, all extremely friendly and helpful. We stayed in a standard room (hotel is fully air conditioned) which was extremely large and very comfortable.

Breakfast was buffet style (7am – 10am) in the hotels restaurant.

Charming hotel with a quality staff

by TripAdvisor Member baitomatic

We were in Egypt for three weeks during October and we stayed five nights at Hotel Longchamps. I would consider Longchamps to be a well run, boutique style hotel and an excellent value. We were extremely pleased with all aspects of our stay. Hebba, the owner and everyone working for her made us feel like VIP's.
The room was spotless and very comfortable, private bath and air conditioned. They serve a really nice full breakfast each morning. The little fried potato things are killer. We also had dinner served to us out on the veranda one evening; delicious fresh homemade lentil soup, salad and veal steak, very nice and half what we paid at the five star hotels nearby.
After climbing a pyramid or exploring Cairo we would look forward to relaxing each evening out on the veranda, having a cold one or two while overlooking the city lights and sounds. A great place to relax and plan your evening and or next day.
Longchamps is located in Zamalek which is an upscale Cairo neighborhood with lots of restaurants close by. We felt very safe wandering around the area. The metro market (full grocery market)is not a far walk.
This was our first trip to Egypt and we are all ready planning our next. At least I know where I will be staying during the Cairo part of that trip

Comfortable hotel, poor reservation system

by TripAdvisor Member KathyLondonUK

The Hotel Longchamps is a clean, reasonably quiet, and comfortable boutique hotel. It is located in a good part of town, close to many restaurants, though suffers from the fact that it is not near the metro. Taxis are therefore essential in getting around. Breakfasts were good, and the common spaces (e.g., terraces) were excellent. Internet is provided free of charge, which is a real plus.

Overall, we were satisfied with our stay here, and felt that it was good value, though felt that the staff could have been more helpful to us. For example, we needed to organize a long-distance bus to the Sinai, and were originally given misinformation about where to get the tickets by the hotel staff. Further, in many other places, hotel staff would have agreed to call the bus station for us, something that the Longchamps does not appear to do for guests.

The biggest problem with our stay, though, was that despite reserving an "executive double" several weeks in advance (and receiving confirmation of our reservation), we ended up wtih a "standard single" on our first night. The hotel staff said that this is what we had booked, until we showed them the confirmation that we had received from their hotel. They moved us to a "standard double" the next day. However, following our trip down to Luxor when we came back to Longchamps for one night, we were again placed in a room with twin beds. This was despite our deliberate checking before we left the first time that we had indeed reserved a room with a double bed. Clearly, there is room for some improvement in this area.

How real life is at home, far away from home...

by TripAdvisor Member guiguiofbubble

As soon as I received the confirmation for my summer Internship at a Swiss Multinational Company in Cairo, I had to find a suitable place to stay approximately 3 months.

I could have rent an appartment for that period but I didn't want to waste my time shopping, cooking, and cleaning. That's why I was looking for an hotel. The location of the hotel played an important part of my choice. As the Head Office of my company was situated in Zamalek I needed a place there in order to avoid any daily problems regarding transport in this overcrowded city. I searched and thanks to TRIPADVISOR and the comments of travellers, I could find the right place: HOTEL LONGCHAMPS.

It was quite a luxury to reach my working place in less than five minutes by foot. My nice executive room and a very helpful staff contributed to the success of my long stay there. If you can find many 5 stars hotels and many dirty hostels in Dowtown, in between hotels of good quality like Longchamps are rare!

When I was there I could also use the Wi-Fi (Internet) which has been set up in the beginning of September.

I would recommend this place: Good value for money!

an oasis....a home away from home

by TripAdvisor Member Evessa

Hotel Longchamps is an oasis in the hustle and bustle of Cairo. It's located in a section of Cairo called Zamalek, which is actually an island surrounded on both sides by the Nile. Zamalek is a leafy, upscale area with shops, restaurants and many embassies. The hotel is owned by Hebba, an energetic woman who runs her hotel with the highest of standards. Public areas include many cozy nooks with sofas and chairs. Nice touches such as fresh orchids and scented candles can be found throughout the public areas. My husband and I and the couple traveling with us had superior rooms that were spacious with high ceilings. Our room, #16, had a charming alcove where I could sit at a dressing table. All is spotless!! I can't forget to mention the two terraces where you can sit in wicker chairs and have coffee, tea, or a cocktail. The hotel is rated 3 star, but in my book, it's more than a 3 star would indicate. I wouldn't stay anywhere else when in Cairo. It's your home away from home!!

Hotels near Cairo airport

by salema

Hi everyone!

Does anyone know of any good hotels near cairo airport? Our flight back to London is at 4am so need a hotel thats close by and has transport links. Found Novotel but read some terrible reviews. Any info would be much appreciated!!

Sal

by Wiley_Coyote

just head out the airport around 11pm...it'll be 4am by the time you get through that chaotic mess they call the airport there! ;-) i'm sure that will beat any airport hotel!

by asalm05

Hi Sal
Movenpick Heliopolis, is good choice and it will take u no time geting to the airport. http://www.asiarooms.com/egypt/cairo/movenpick_heliopolis.html.
Enjoy your trip!
Linera

by salema

Hey y'all

Thanks for all the helpful information!!!

sal :)

by pamhand

We stayed in Hotel Longchamps - run by a German woman and her Egyptian friend. Great service and very clean.Fab place. Details are in Lonely Planet Egypt.

by aleempasha

dear friend

Can i have longchamps cotact details i also looking for a good hotel for my friend

thnaks