Isis Hotel

Hotels.com Expedia.com HostelBookers.com

More about Cairo

The Mercedes Car showroomThe Mercedes Car showroom

Entrance to the Egyptian MuseumEntrance to the Egyptian Museum

The nine Pyramids in the backgroundThe nine Pyramids in the background

Ahmed Ibn Tulun Mosque - outer courtyardAhmed Ibn Tulun Mosque - outer courtyard

Which Hotel?

by juleswc

Hello Folks,

On the move again :-) I'm going back to Egypt, this time taking my parents and partner and need somewhere to stay in Cairo..

The places I normally stay wouldn't be suitable for my parents... so... I'm looking for somewhere fairly central and not too expensive. I tried the hotel Hotel Osiris, but they don't have room... anyone have suggestions? I'm looking to spend roughly 40-50 euro per room per night - maybe a little more if something right comes along!

Any advice would be fab!

thanks

Jules

by Court94403

Try the Grand Hotel in Cairo @17 26th of July Street downtown near Midan Talaat Harb. The last time we were there the price was about 60 USD per night. Nice, clean safe hotel for the price look them up they have pictures. Check out grandhotelcairo.com

by juleswc

Thanks for the reply. I have indeed booked the Grand - so thanks for the suggestion.
Best wishes
Jules

by Court94403

Let me know if you liked it when you return. Have fun!

Travel Tips for Cairo

People of Cairo

by E_R_I_C

I had not seen much in the way of poverty before visiting Cairo. That's not to say that all the people in the city are poor. I have not experienced enough of Cairo or the rest of the world to make any assumptions that ostentatious. I was just a bit surprised that Egypt wasn’t as thriving as what I was used to – having come from the US and been to Western Europe. Even Israel was quite a bit more modern.

This tip is just to let people know that if you are coming from a society that is somewhat prosperous and have not been to a part of the world that isn’t, be prepared... It might be a little difficult to absorb.

I did enjoy my stay though, not to be misunderstood. It was just a little different than I had expected (although I’m not sure I had any expectations, actually). A couple of times I was approached by children begging for food. Whether they were poor or not, I couldn’t tell. I just knew for sure that they weren't fabulously wealthy. But then again, neither am I. Anyway, I gave them a few snacks that I had with me on the bus and they thanked me. Just an interesting note I thought I might add.

Cairo Tip

by kunchik

I went to a sweets shop that sold arabic sweets. I asked the price and I was told that it'd be around 3USD. I assumed that is per piece (that would be the price here in the States). After I picked out a few sweets (harissa, baklawa), the total cost was less than 25 cents! It turned out the price was per kilogram!!!

Flowers in Cairo : Water Lily

by freddie18

I took this photos of Water Lily in Cairo.

Yes, this kind of water lilies can be found in many countries and also in Cairo. I hope when you visit the Cairo museum, you will still be able to find them right in front of the museum. You can sit beside them and enjoy the view.

THE PYRAMIDS

This is a MUST...

by SirRichard

THE PYRAMIDS

This is a MUST to any Cairo's visitor. You can find them on a desert plateau approximately 15 kms out of Cairo. Entrance fee for tourists is LE 20 for the grounds of the three pyrmaids. Entry into the pyramids is LE 10-40 per pyramid. Entry to a platform by the Sphinx is LE 10 for tourists.
There are three ways of getting to the pyramids. The first is by the new air-conditioned bus No. 355. Pick it up from Midan Tahrir at the Egyptian Museum and take the 20 minutes bus ride for LE2. You can also take a microbus, easier to pick up from the pyramids (at the corner of Desert Highway and Pyramids Road) than to find downtown (ask for the bus to 'Haram' - try the Ramses Hilton). It costs 25pt and you will be dropped off short of the pyramids, so look for the Oberoi Mena House Hotel. The third option is a taxi that will cost you about LE15 one-way.
Do not pass up on the opportunity to enter the pyramids (at this time it is possible to enter Cheops and Mikerinos). Although not as decorative as the tombs at Thebes, there is something magical about standing within the pyramids. One thing I must add from my own experience and those of visitors to the pyramids: it is easy to be distracted by the intense harrassment of the highly aggressive merchants, camel and horse owners, and impromtu 'official' ticket checkers, all out to part you from your money. Do not hand your ticket over to anyone except the uniformed agent beside the ticket box at the entrance to the site and at the
entrance of each pyramid or else you may have to pay to have your ticket returned. Do not hesitate to be aggressive back and seek out the tourist police if you are not eventually
left in peace.
The Solar Boat Museum is located behind Cheops Pyramid (LE 20 for tourists) and houses the boat that may have carried the body of Pharaoh Cheops down the Nile from Memphis. Discovered in 1954, the boat is over 4,500 years old and show signs of use.

Bargaining

by peaceness98

Prices WILL be 10 times inflated just because you're a tourist
Shopkeepers expect you to bargain and therefore have a high price set to start with, you must keep bargaining down, even if the shopkeeper tells you he can't go further, its a miracle what walking away would do (Just look at how the locals bargain!)

Most shops sell identical stuff anyway.

Comments