Cairo Hotels

Our Members Say

• RavensWing profile photo RavensWing
  • Reviews: 213

Atlas Zamalek Hotel: Atlas Zamalek Hotel

I stayed at this hotel 3 separate times during my first trip to Cairo and had 3 very different rooms.

The first room was a standard size room with a small television (I don't recall their being any English stations), 2 twin beds and a standard size bathroom with tub/shower. The carpet was worn down and there was a musty smell to the room.

The second room had a hallway with 2 sitting chairs for reading, a larger bathroom and a double size bed. It was at the front of the hotel so I could hear the constant honking of horns all night.

The third room also had a hallway with 2 sitting chairs, the larger bathroom and 2 large bedrooms each with their own television (again I don't recall their being an English station).

The staff was always friendly and ready to help you with anything you needed. Your breakfast is included with your stay.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Singles
  • Written October 3, 2013

Main Entrance

• JulesH profile photo JulesH
  • Reviews: 261

Qasr El Bawity: Oasis eco hotel

The capital of Bahareya Oasis, El Bawity is about 3-4 hours from Cairo, so it really is "off the beaten path". But finally arriving at Qasr El Bawity was a lovely surprise. The manager in the cool, round, stone built reception welcomed us to the small eco resort. A short step outside and we found ourselves in a leafy arbour covering a bedouin seating circle with blankets and cushions. Paths led off in three directions towards the charming complex of higgledy piggledy stone built accommodation blocks which had been constructed using stone from the hills behind the resort, all arranged around a natural swimming pool and hot spring. Our room was basic, almost monastic, but quite stunning. Very rustic and full of character with twin beds and an ensuite shower room. No aircon, but there was a fan. We were lucky as it wasn't that hot in early November, but I can imagine the stone retains a fair bit of heat in high summer.

We were the only guests staying that night, along with our desert guide, so we ate meals according to our schedule. Food was local and served buffet style. The homely atmosphere was completed by the 3 cats prowling around looking for cuddles on the seating outside. If you need to use the hot spring you need to let reception know a little in advance as they need to turn the pump on.

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Eco-Tourism, Hiking and Walking
  • Written June 9, 2012

• TheWanderingCamel profile photo TheWanderingCamel
  • Reviews: 2572

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Luna Hotel and Hostel: Excellent Hostel

This is from a real life friend of one of The Wander Camel's members who has stayed here many times. Megypt has visited her friend there and verifies the following info.

This hostel has a wonderful owner, who is kind, polite, honest, and helpful. The staff are some of the friendliest around. The owner treats his staff very well and pays them a great wage. Tours are available upon request. The staff does NOT badger you to buy trips.

The prices are wonderful, and the location is great. It is on a main street but several blocks down from Tahrir square and the protests in case anyone worries about that.

For any stay of 4 nights or more in total (consecutive or non-consecutive) , Luna and Bella Luna offer a free transfer from OR to the airport (One way One time for One room).

The hostel is sparkling clean, and not run down at all.

Rooms are air conditioned. You can exchange currency there. Parking is available for those who might be crazy enough to try driving in Cairo.

Free breakfast.

The beds mattresses are thick and comfortable and all of the bedding is like new - very clean.

You can opt for a room where you share two sparkling clean (single person) bathrooms with shower. There are rooms available with in-suite bathrooms as well.

There is wireless internet (for free). There are also desktop computers one can rent time on for a very reasonable price.

There is a kitchen where you can store and prepare food if you would like. Also, you can easily order takeout, or send one of the staff to go pick up something. There are tons of restaurants all around, plus little grocery stores. There is a huge mall right across the street, and ATM's all over.

The desk displays thank you letters from people all around the world, and all religions, including Israelis,

The only downside is there is a small, but wide, stair case (maybe 5 steps) to get to the elevator - so it might be difficult for someone in a wheelchair. However, there are guys right there willing to help out in anyway (luggage, wheelchair etc) - but they do not hassle you to do so. Just ask someone standing nearby if they can help - give them a small tip.

• Related to: Study Abroad, Budget Travel, Family Travel
  • Written December 18, 2011

• FruitLover profile photo FruitLover
  • Reviews: 763

Tulip hotel: Warm hospitality

Especially recommended for Israelis.

The letter I left to the owner and manager is saying it all:

"It's a great honour for me to express my satisfaction from staying at your hotel,
and to praise, mainly, on of your staff - Mrs. WEDAD.
Mrs WEDAD is smart, open-minded, helpful, very friendly, and most important knows
to give the best service with a smile".

• Written October 19, 2011

• barbskie profile photo barbskie
  • Reviews: 853

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Moevenpick Resort Pyramids Cairo: Pyramid Resorts....

We love the place. The hotel is a bungalow-style villa resort set in a lovely gardens
which has an excellent range of facilities to enjoy. The location is just a couple of kilometers from the Giza Pyramids and about 50 minutes from Cairo Airport. Each room has a private veranda to enjoy the lovely surroundings.
Its facilities includes a 24-hour buffet restaurant, Thai restaurant in the lobby, poolside restaurant, lobby bar with daily evening entertainment, Le Gourmet café (where to enjoy mövenpick ice creams), outdoor swimming pools (1 heated in winter). floodlit tennis courts, Racquetball court, Fitness centre , Sauna and massage, Jogging track/football court, Children's playground. Has Wi-Fi Internet access and money changing counter.
There is also one souvenir shop just close to the bank.
All 240 rooms has terrace, air-conditioning, cable TV, radio, mini-bar, in-room safe, hairdryer and room service available.
Rooms sleep max 3 adults, or 2 adults and 1 child.

What made this accomodation unique, is the Roof Café with a panoramic view over the three great pyramids of Giza. They serves here serves grilled food, snacks, and drinks.
FREE SOCIAL SMOKE
Shisha
Hours: Winter 10:00 am - 7:00 pm
Summer 3:00 pm - 11

• Related to: Archeology, Museum Visits
  • Written January 7, 2011
Tip Photo

• goutammitra profile photo goutammitra
  • Reviews: 1306

Horizon Pyramids Hotel: Great Views from the Room

We checked in to this hotel after the Sound & Light show at Giza Pyramids and dinner at Indian restaurant. We were very tired and jet lagged, the hot bath tub and very comfortable bed provided us the much needed sleep for 7/8 hours. We were really fresh next morning. The transfer was smooth with our luggage delivered with in minutes of check in.

We also stayed in tis hotel after our return from Luxor/ Aswan Nile cruise.

Tis hotel has all the modern facilities of a good five star hotel, two restaurants, good swimming pool, and all other facilities like international , national dialing from room, laundry , very courteous service, staffs are very smiling and took ood care of us.

• Related to: Family Travel, Eco-Tourism
  • Written October 21, 2010

Horizon Pyramid hotel.

• Richardellers profile photo Richardellers
  • Reviews: 1

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Belle Epoch: Avoid this hotel

We did not actually get to stay at this hotel. We booked it and we agreed to pay half our stay, in euros, to a Swiss bank account five months ahead of time. This we thought we did. Turns out, although we followed their instructions to the letter, the wire transfer did not go through. The amount of money returned to our account three and a half weeks later had been debited by a Swiss fee, and we did not recognize it when it was returned. Although we informed Villa Belle Epoch we had sent the requested funds, they did not acknowledge our email so we did not know there was a problem. Belle Epoch cancelled our reservation, and they haven't had the courtesy to respond to our emails. We lot $25 on both sides of the transaction and then had to scramble to find another accommodation.

The accommodation sounded wonderful -- billed as Cairo's first boutique hotel, somewhat out of town in a quiet residential neighborhood. We were looking forward to spending a week in a unique property a bit removed from the hustle and bustle of Cairo.

• Written October 18, 2010

• hanspeter_W. profile photo hanspeter_W.
  • Reviews: 1237

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

high class outside of cairo: sheraton dreamland & resort

very new high class hotel to reasonable price, quiet, straight a dreamland amusement park

a bit far outside of anything

a luxurious choice for business or leisure travelers, the Sheraton Dreamland Hotel & Conference Center is located within the self sustained community of Dreamland in 6th of October City, only 8 km from the Pyramids of Giza and 30 km from Downtown Cairo. The hotel features a harmonious blend of traditional architecture and contemporary design overlooking the pool and Dream Park, one of the largest amusement parks in Egypt and the Middle East.

• Written April 11, 2010

sheraton dreamland hotel

• gezginali profile photo gezginali
  • Reviews: 7

Pearl Hotel, Maadi: Clean and Cheap in Cairo

Pearl Hotel is very clean especially in Egyptian standards, the location is central, close to Maadi metro station. Close to Nile, there are some restaurant and cafes nearby. The furniture are a bit old, but it is really a clean hotel, which is in my opinion very important for Egypt.

Clean, cheap, good location

• Related to: Budget Travel, Archeology, Museum Visits
  • Written April 7, 2010

• TheLongTone profile photo TheLongTone
  • Reviews: 330

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Garden City House: That'll do nicely.

I've stayed at the Garden City House every time I've stayed in Cairo. It's verywell situated, off Maidan Tahrir behind the Semiramis Hotel (so handy for the Egyptian Museum), the rooms are clean, spacious and airy (if perhaps a bit shabby), many with a balcony and if you are lucky a view of the Nile, and the staff are friendly and helpful.

I've read a couple of horrified appraisals of this place, and true one's initial impression is unlikely to be ecstatic. It's on the upper stories of a decrepit concrete block and the entrance hallway and stairs are not inviting. And the lift is in a class if it's own: the door by which you will have entered at the bottom is not the door by which you need to leave at the lobby level. That is behind you. A sure cause of confusion and panic when generally jet-frazzled. And the plumbing is ramshackle looking and some of the enamel on the baths is wearing a bit thin, but it does deliver hot water on demand. Faded gentility sums the place up.

If these things matter to you, go elsewhere and pay five to ten times as much. I'm happy with a comfortable bed with clean sheets, even if thebread rolls at breakfast are a bit suspect.

• Written January 29, 2010

• MM212 profile photo MM212
  • Reviews: 4000

Le Riad: Hotel de Charme in Islamic Cairo

The first of its kind in Cairo, le Riad, is a luxury boutique hotel located in the heart of Islamic Cairo. The idea of this hotel was made possible with the recent paving and restoration of the most important section of Islamic Cairo. A relatively modern (and once ugly) building was completely renovated and turned into this charming luxury hotel, decorated in local motifs and colours (see website for photos). It stands among some of the most majestic Islamic monuments dating from the 12th and 14th centuries. For those who have a strong interest in exploring Islamic Cairo more closely, then this unique hotel is well worth a try. The disadvantages are several, but obvious: there are no Nile views; it is expensive; and it is in a more crowded and poorer part of Cairo (but all of Cairo is crowded and poor).

I have neither stayed here nor have seen the hotel in person. A Cairene friend just told me about the opening of le Riad, so I was only able to judge it from its website. Nevertheless, I wanted to post it to my page to provide you with a different option, and also to allow me to remember its name for when I visit Cairo next. If you happen to stay at le Riad, then please let me know how your experience was. Thanks!

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Luxury Travel
  • Written July 5, 2009

• zanzooni profile photo zanzooni
  • Reviews: 95

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Flats in Cairo: Rent a flat. Less expensive, and it's "Your's"

We decided to rent a flat for our stay. It cost us about $400 USD for a week. It was fully equiped with kitchen, large bedrooms, large bathroom, washer, clothesline, A/C, balcony, TV with limited cable, elevator (albeit it didn't work all of the time, and it was rather brutal to schlep luggage and stuff up 3 flights of stairs.) There was an on site quasi concierge as well, but he didn't speak English, so it was a little rough communicating. Used a lot of sign language-pointing at things, etc. I do advise renting a flat. I would not come back and rent this one though. Why? Because the guy we rented from was not in Cairo while we were there. So when there was an issue, we had to figure it out on our own. I felt like he basically took our money and left us to flounder, so not a good host. Plus, I discovered it was too far from where we needed to be, which was the American Embassy area. Next time I shall find a place close to the Nile and the Embassy.

Close walking distance to grocery stores, pharmacy, electronics store. Not too far from "City Stars" mall. Plenty of taxi's to hail.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Family Travel, Budget Travel, Historical Travel
  • Written May 24, 2009

Entering the flat

• Albetbauf profile photo Albetbauf
  • Reviews: 2

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hostel: Juliana Hostel

Hi guys, You are probable doing same as I did research
where to stay in Cairo before I travel to Cairo. I just want to share my experience in Cairo.

Before I departed to Egypt on 10th December 2008 I have done lots of research where to stay, where to travel in Egypt, reading review in hostelwold, tripadviser, virturaltourist,
lonelyplanet website. I decided to not to book and chose few hostels in Cairo thinking that hostels would be available on arrival. My Egyptian friend met me in the train station
in Cairo, I explained situation then we went to see following hostels:

1.”Canadian” Hostel- very cold staff, I ask him show me room, he showed me 4 beds dorm facing to the demolished building, room was like a basement room, luck of light and air. Then he showed me twin room which was again like a basement room and very small.
for dorm he was asking 30EGP I thought its not worth it and decided to see other hostels.

2 Second choice was “Dahab” Hostel which was on top of 5-6 store of building with antique lift. My first expression was not good, staff was unwelcoming and luck of smile, hostel build on the roof of the building, badly need refurbishment.
I was told hostel is full.

3. I went to “Wake up Cairo” Hostel near by, hostel located on the 7th floor( not really recommended to take lift because lift is old) and little away from Tahrir Squire. When I enter to the hostel it was really impressive really new lavishly decorated, clean, and really friendly staff, unfortunately hostel was full.

4. Finally I come to hostel JULIANA
I would highly recommend the hostel Juliana for all travelers for a quiet and safe stay in Cairo! The hosts are really nice and new. I think this hostel is more like an own apartment, different from average other hostels. Perfect hostel for relaxing. Great, fully equipped kitchen VERY clean. This hostel is exactly what we were looking for in Cairo!
Free breakfast, towel and bedlinen, clean showers, specious room with balcony and very comfortable beds, nice common room with free Internet and free Wireless, well-equipped kitchen.

Here are the reason why I rated Juliana 100%:

Staff 100%: Great staff, starting from manager Hani truly gentlemen he allowed me stay with my Egyptian friend, extremely hospitable person always welcoming, make you feel you are at home, he even drop me with his car to the bus station to cutch my bus to Dahab. Receptionist Ahmed very polite and helpful guy. Housekeeper I don’t remember her name but she was extremely hard working and sweet girl always keep my room and whole area spotless clean. She made breakfast even I was late after 11am.
I feel like my mums home:)

Location 100% :
Hostel located in Garden City just walking distance 5 min from Tahrir Squire , 7 min from Egyptian Museum, 10 min to rever Nile, 18 min , walking to Zamalek Island( crossing over bridge) and Cairo Opera. Extrieamly quite and safe area surrounded with embassies like US, Canadian, British Embassies. Whole area patrolled by lots of Police and army 24hour a day. 5 min Metro Sadat, 5 min walk to bus 609 goes to citadel,

Security 100%: Hostel located on 3rd floor of building, building itself well maintained with 24 hours security in entrance of the building. Plus the is always staff on the reception.

Cleanness 100%: Spotless clean hostel, everything new. housekeeper fantastic she changed my bad every other day, provided with free towel and bed line.

Fun 100% : Good place to meet many independent travelers, especially if you traveling alone you can join them explore together Egypt.
I hope you will enjoy your stay in Cairo

PS: please check latest availability on hostelwold.com site. I paid for dorm about 50EGP per night including breakfast.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Gay and Lesbian, Backpacking
  • Written December 26, 2008
Tip Photo

• sayedaburas profile photo sayedaburas
  • Reviews: 108

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Furnished flats: Furnished flat, the best choice...

Where to stay in Cairo, if you intend to rent a furnished flat? Where to avoid the heavy traffic in your ways inside Cairo?

I personally prefer Manyal El-Roda for many reasons mentioned by the co-mates here above.

1) Close to the Nile.
2) Transportation is easy to most of Cairo and Giza.
a) to Nasr City, Heliopolis and airport you use Salah Salm Street,
b) to maadi you use Corniche Roas vis Malek El-Saleh Bridge,
c) to Giza and pyramids you cross Abbas bridge to Pyramids Road,
d) to Mohandseen you either use University Bridge, Or Dokki Bridge, or Abbas bridge and Murad street.
e) to Cairo University you just go on foot,
f) to the centre you can cross Manyal street and Qasr El-Ainy str. or go parallel to the Nile branches.
g) above all it is served by all means of public transport wheter underground Metro (Al-Malek Al-Saleh stop) or lot of busses to Manyal itself or to Giza crossing Roda street.
h) Manyal is already served by different banks, super markets, and restaurants of all types including floating ones....
Think of it and ask any of us here to render proper assistance!

Welcome to Egypt!

Sayed

• Written March 17, 2008

• aishalola profile photo aishalola
  • Reviews: 1

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

medan hussain: heart of cairo

i stayed in this hotel which overlooks the bigest mosque in cairo. its on the edge of the biggest and oldest souk in cairo "khanakhalili" where you can see egypt as it really is . even the egyptians shop here and across the raod into the locl market. the hotel is very old and cheap. its noisy, not too clean but if its the real thing you want- it only costs about £7 a day depending on time of year. not far from abdullah the bellydance clothing emporium which is a three storey building and price is good and you can haggle
food cheap and plentiful. try the kusheri shop. kusheri is like macaroni with lentils, onions and chillie sauce. also falafel which is chick pea paste in nana bread and salad

no pool, rooftop resturant with rooftop view of cairo. old elevator. only three floors high. lack of cleanliness altho there are many cleaners looking for tips. dont tip them--if you happy--leave tips downstairs with khalim on the desk. its in centre of old cairo

• Opinion of Price: least expensive