Cairo Hotels

Our Members Say

• jaqs profile photo jaqs
  • Reviews: 15

Holiday Apartments: Search online yourself for Holiday Apartments

I stayed in a Holiday Apartment for four weeks in Maadi in Cairo. It was by far the best choice for the following reason:

* It saved me so much money. (approximately $80 Australian dollars per week)
* I could shop for food myself and cook/prepare it myself
* It was homely and furnished traditionally (very comfortable)
* I lived more amongst the local people than if staying in a Hotel

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Family Travel, Work Abroad
  • Written December 22, 2007

• Arifyar profile photo Arifyar
  • Reviews: 1

NILE STUDIO: BEAUTIFUL STUDIO APARTMENT IN CENTRAL CAIRO

Its a beautiful Studio apartment suitable for one or two people. Its right in centre of Cairo n has a view of the Nile.

It in a nice area away from hustle n bustle of Cairo. It has beautiful view of the Nile from the balcony. Though small, it has all the facilities available. There is satellite Tv,telephone,cooking facilites. There is a supermarket right below the flats. The owner is very friendly n helpful n he keeps in regualr contact with the guests. The caretaker looks after every need n even picks guests up from the airport if necessary. U can read more on the Villarenters.com site

• Related to: Historical Travel, Castles and Palaces, Archeology
  • Written November 25, 2007

• tkdqueen profile photo tkdqueen
  • Reviews: 72

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

PYRAMIDS HOTEL

AVOID THE SUPPOSEDLY FIVE STAR 'PYRAMIDS' HOTEL - IT IS A DUMP!!!
tHE hotel we were put in hadn't been renovated in decades it smelled musty the food was cold, no hot water and there was really thick green scaly muck on the tap and shower fittings - so much so that I refused to touch it with my bare hands. There was black scum on the bathroom appliances. I get hives just thinking about it.
BEWARE!!!!

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written November 7, 2007

• TheLongTone profile photo TheLongTone
  • Reviews: 330

Venus Hotel: Well, it's near Ramses station

I would classify this as an 'acceptable under the circumstances' hotel. I stayed one night, and selected this hotel simply because of it's proximity to Ramses station: I arrived in Cairo late and had a train to Luxor at 0740 the following morning. The room was OK: small and with a window onto an airshaft, but clean enough, but the shared bathroom was well on the grubby side and there seemed to be no hot water. On the plus side, it's a friendly place, and I spent a bizarre couple of hours in the reception/lounge area watching the end of the first Harry Potter movie on the TV.

On the first corner on your right as you walk up Sharia Ramses- the entrance is actually round the corner. Not at all obvious from the outside: there is a sign in English way up on the top of the building it's situated in, but at street level there's just a sign in Arabic. I had just about spelled out F..u..n..d..u..q (hotel) when the lift operator put me out of my misery and asked me if I was looking for the hotel.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written September 1, 2007
Tip Photo

Home is where the pack is....

• SabrinaSummerville profile photo SabrinaSummerville
  • Reviews: 720

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Palmera Beach Resort: Watch the Mozzies at this Beachside Retreat

I stayed at Palmera for one night while on a business trip and, frankly, I wouldn't stay there again.

We were entertaining some clients and to be honest the place was such a disappointment that I would never invite clients there.

The public grounds are lovely and they are well laid out. However, they're not well tended and the vegetation has become overgrown, which causes a real problem with mosquitoes. We were literally eaten alive.

There are three large swimming pools plus a children's pool and these are indeed lovely. The main freeform pool has a swim up bar. A gorgeous wide beach lapped by crystal clear waters is accessed directly from the gardens.

Now for the down sides. The rooms are poorly furnished, tired, and badly need decorating. I hear that the owner is trying to sell off blocks of the hotel as apartments so this may explain the lack of care.

When we arrived we were thirsty and our Irish clients wanted gin - there was none; nor was there vodka when they agreed to opt for that. Indeed, the only spirit available was whiskey. We agreed to have wine. All was going well until we discovered that they were watering down the wine - and they denied it when challenged. In addition to all this, it took forever for the drinks to arrive.

All meals were buffet style and served in the ballrooom. Dinner was actually tasty, but breakfast was a disaster.

The grounds are so thick with vegetation that they're a haven for wild birds.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Business Travel, Spa and Resort
  • Written May 11, 2007

Stunning Beach

• SabrinaSummerville profile photo SabrinaSummerville
  • Reviews: 720

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Stella di Mare Golf Hotel: Golfing in the Lap of Luxury

We visited this hotel for a couple of hours and while there we asked to be shown the rooms, planning a future visit.
Even the standard rooms here are large, with two big windows overlooking the golf course.
They are decoated in the most relaxing shades of pale blue and golden cream, the beds have a pretty canopy overhead, and big fluffy cotton robes are spread at the foot of each bed. The bathrooms are the ultimate in luxury and are up to the minute in style.

We were also shown a suite, which was extremely large with spectacular views.

Downstairs, an infinity pool is set on a terrace off the main lobby, and again the views are of the immaculately trimmed greens of the golf course.

The lobby is cool and rich, with shining marble and wood panelled walls.

There is a well stocked golf pro shop and a souvenir shop.

Rates are quoted at half board and for a standard room work out at less than €100 for two people sharing per night! For five star ultimate luxury this is amazing.

The stunning views of the golf course from all rooms are hard to beat. This is a true golfer's paradise.

• Related to: Golf, Business Travel, Luxury Travel
  • Written May 11, 2007

Stella di Mare Golf Hotel

• pangtidor profile photo pangtidor
  • Reviews: 287

Garden City House Hotel: A Budget Hotel Near Museum

Garden City House Hotel will be a good choice of budget hotel in the heart of Cairo, nearby the Egyptian museum. If you get used to the luxury hotels, DO NOT COME HERE. It is an old hotel, even the entrance will be looked scary. The reception will be located on the 3rd floor of the building, so you won`t be impressed with the entrance gate. I got this hotel by an advice of a VT member. Beware, when you book the room. They have some bedrooms without AC and shared the toilet with other rooms. Nevertheless, you will save alot!! You may get the private tour service from the hotel (around 100-200US$ for 3days with the private tour guide and car). The bathroom is clean as well as the room. Check out the pictures. Bring your own slippers and face towel. You will pay around 20-25US$/day with the AC room, great view at the balcony, private bathroom, breakfast and dinner. Breakfast and dinner are good enough. Check the website.

The price is good for a hotel in the Cairo City that is near to the Cairo Museum (5-10minutes by walk), few steps from Tahreer square, and nearby the shops and the restaurant. It has a great view of Nile River. When you book the room online, MAKE SURE YOU ASK THEM FOR THE ROOM WITH AC, PRIVATE BATHROOM, HAS A NILE RIVER VIEW, AND AIRPORT TRANSPORT. Remind them about your room few days before your arrival.

• Related to: Historical Travel, Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written April 3, 2007

The TV Room,GardenCityHouseHotel,Cairo

• songuldogan profile photo songuldogan
  • Reviews: 11

Old, Historical: VICTORIA HOTEL

high ceilings, big doors, big windows, heavy curtains, old furnitures, and carpets. everythings feels you that you are historical hotel. except the grounds.. New, fresh laminat woods.It was unexpextable for me to see that. also I was happy because of this, cause I dont like the carpets, and I can not stay because of my dust allergy. when I stay there, I am pulling out the smallcarpet and I can stay comportable. The hotel is in the centrum, close to Bazaar, shopping centres. It was an advantage for me to stay there with cheap price.

• Related to: Historical Travel
  • Written March 20, 2007

• taste_yourlife83 profile photo taste_yourlife83
  • Reviews: 1

Atlas hotel, Graha Hotel: Egypt's cheapest prices Hotel

It was great. I would like to stay in these places again... Atlas hotel located in Opera square, attaba, near by the down town, khan el khalili ( the best place for tourist's shopping ). Graha hotel is great too, but i only recommend it for the tourist from South East Asia. It's located in Nasr City.

Internet Wi-fi Access for free...

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Study Abroad, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Beaches
  • Written November 23, 2006

• miriamkhalifa profile photo miriamkhalifa
  • Reviews: 9

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Sphinx Guest House: Best wiew in the world!

Highly Recommended! This Guest house is the closest you get to the pyramids. You wake up in the night and look out of your window and BANG! there they are. Follow the direction of the sphinx's missing nose and you will easily find this guesthouse. The man owning it is warm and spiritual, and very interesting to talk to. He's into aromatherapy.

The rooms are not very high standard, but clean. The breakfast isn't great but it is food. Didn't matter to me. To be able to sit on the roof and be alone with the pyramids at night time... for me it was breathtaking. To sit and stare at the giza plateau with the moon hanging over it... That's what I call meditation folks!

The staff... they are there with you to help you with anything anytime, you feel you are with your family.

• Related to: Historical Travel, School Holidays, Architecture
  • Written October 12, 2006

• JPGoncalves profile photo JPGoncalves
  • Reviews: 20

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Garden City House: Only the view.

Well, When the taxi driver left me in front of the hotel I thought he was kidding, it was in alley right beside Simaramis Hotel (5 star, next time I´ll stay there:D) and the building was falling apart..I went up to the 3rd floor by the stairs and then I saw a light; It was the reception, I think.
Basically my stay there resumes to this:
1 - Really bad acomodation, the last time they vacumm the room or changed the beds was when Nefretiti ruled Egypt.
2 - Great view over the Nile and Cairo. (see pic. from my room )
3 - Really cheap, 4 to 8 Euros a night
4 - The breakfast is bad even if u don´t taste it.
5 - City centre, near everything.
In resume, if u don´t care (at all) about acomodation it´s ok, but if u do..well better stay in 5 star hotel, cause even 3 star hotels in Cairo don´t follow at all the European quality standarts...but I really dont give a s...If I wanted a resort I woud go to Sharm or other tourist packed place.

The Nile view, and my balcony. (completly ruined but still with that neo-romantic english architecture)

• Related to: Backpacking
  • Written August 18, 2006

My room for one week.

• MariaK profile photo MariaK
  • Reviews: 68

Atlas Zamalek 4*: Good value for money

We stayed in Atlas Zamalek some years ago. I think it was ok for the money we gave.

Our room was huge, although it was a bit funny: when you opened the door you were finding yourself in front of a wall.

When you take a taxi, don't tell them "we are going to Zamalek" because the area is not Zamalek. Zamalek is a nearby island, very classy neibourhood - but this is not it. The area is Mohandesseen. Not that classy but ok.

Not very relevant but if you finally stay here, check on the opposite side of the road there is a great pastry shop. :)

Not bad.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Business Travel, Family Travel
  • Written July 28, 2006
Tip Photo

Atlas Zamalek (not in Zamalek area though)

• JohnniOmani profile photo JohnniOmani
  • Reviews: 552

Happyton Hotel: Good Rooftop

This place is on a quiet street in Cairo if you can imagine that and it is near the Karim Cinema. It is a relaxed place and is good value for your money. It has a restaurant and openair rooftop bar. Rooms have AC

Rooftop and it has AC

• Written June 23, 2006

• atufft profile photo atufft
  • Reviews: 3020

Magic Hotel (no joke, that's the real name): Select a Hotel Near Mindan Tahrir

Magic Hotel wasn't in the Lonely Planet Guide, but it was consistent with the type of lower to middle end backpacker quality accomodations available in this part of town. This is a city with plenty of space and so there is not much need to book reservations in advance. In fact, we had tried to book a reservation in a Lonely Planet Guide recommended place, but at 10pm when we arrived, the reservation had not held up. But, just around the corner we found a very adequate place that had a shared bathroom and provided coffee, toast, and an hard-boiled egg in the morning. The beds were not the most comfortable, but we survived the night. The hotel also provided a courier to process our "international student ID" (we were actually not students) and train tickets for Aswan, which saved us a bundle of money throughout our stay in Egypt and saved us time. The hotel had an old cage style elevator and worn marble steps at the lobby leading to the street. We were able to easily walk to Mindan Tahrir, the city's tranportation hub for metro service and buses to Giza, as well as to the Egyptian Museum and Islamic Cairo. We did need a taxi to get to Ramses Train Station though as we took wheeled luggage, not backpacks. Our hotel was also close to many travel agencies, should additional help be required, which in our case meant getting a couple passport photos for the student ID. Now, we always carry extra passport photos for just such a possibility.

Mostly I've described what you need to know, but if you want luxury stay on the islands in the Nile River area. The only problem I found with staying in this area, besides price, was the time and cost of getting to where the action is within the city itself. Thus, I recommend staying in a small hotel in the area of the Midan Tahrir traffic circle. Cairo is not just Giza, besides the great museum, Old Cairo, Islamic Cairo, Khan Al-Kalili, and Muhammad Ali Mosque were all seen within just a couple days, thanks to this great hotel location.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking, Singles
  • Written May 15, 2006

View from our Cairo Hotel

• Sambawalk profile photo Sambawalk
  • Reviews: 1601

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Garden City House: Noisy hotel in town

When I first arrived Cairo, I stayed in Garden City House Hotel. The hotel is quity shabby as described by a VTer. I stayed in Room No. 38. It is acceptable for me, taking into account the room rate of 100 EGP (May 2006). The room faces the staff canteen of Semiramis Inter-continental Hotel and the side view is the Nile river (see pic). There is a small balcony which shares with four other rooms. The room rate is in line with other hotels of similar class in Cairo. The hotel is located next to busy street and it gets extremely noisy. See more pics from room and toilet view.

To get to this Garden City House by taxi, you should tell the taxi driver of Semiramis Inter-continental Hotel (which is located next to Garden City House). I encountered difficulties as the taxi driver took me to another hotel Garden City. So Semiramis helps you to get there. If you walk from the METRO Sadat (Midan Tahrir), it should take about 5 mins.

I found room rate is generally expensive in comparsion with those in other cities. I visited a few hotel in the Midan Talat Harb area (Liali Hotel, Lotus Hotel, and Berlin Hotel) and they charge similar rate for the similar factilities. They all look a bit dirty and unplesant. Berlin Hotel looks the worse.

After one night, I changed to Victoria Hotel, which is located near Ramses Train station. (see another accomodation page for this hotel).

• Written May 10, 2006