Cairo Hotels

Our Members Say

• pangtidor profile photo pangtidor
  • Reviews: 287

Garden City House Hotel: A Budget Hotel Near Museum

Garden City House Hotel will be a good choice of budget hotel in the heart of Cairo, nearby the Egyptian museum. If you get used to the luxury hotels, DO NOT COME HERE. It is an old hotel, even the entrance will be looked scary. The reception will be located on the 3rd floor of the building, so you won`t be impressed with the entrance gate. I got this hotel by an advice of a VT member. Beware, when you book the room. They have some bedrooms without AC and shared the toilet with other rooms. Nevertheless, you will save alot!! You may get the private tour service from the hotel (around 100-200US$ for 3days with the private tour guide and car). The bathroom is clean as well as the room. Check out the pictures. Bring your own slippers and face towel. You will pay around 20-25US$/day with the AC room, great view at the balcony, private bathroom, breakfast and dinner. Breakfast and dinner are good enough. Check the website.

The price is good for a hotel in the Cairo City that is near to the Cairo Museum (5-10minutes by walk), few steps from Tahreer square, and nearby the shops and the restaurant. It has a great view of Nile River. When you book the room online, MAKE SURE YOU ASK THEM FOR THE ROOM WITH AC, PRIVATE BATHROOM, HAS A NILE RIVER VIEW, AND AIRPORT TRANSPORT. Remind them about your room few days before your arrival.

• Related to: Historical Travel, Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written April 3, 2007

The TV Room,GardenCityHouseHotel,Cairo

• zanzooni profile photo zanzooni
  • Reviews: 95

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Flats in Cairo: Rent a flat. Less expensive, and it's "Your's"

We decided to rent a flat for our stay. It cost us about $400 USD for a week. It was fully equiped with kitchen, large bedrooms, large bathroom, washer, clothesline, A/C, balcony, TV with limited cable, elevator (albeit it didn't work all of the time, and it was rather brutal to schlep luggage and stuff up 3 flights of stairs.) There was an on site quasi concierge as well, but he didn't speak English, so it was a little rough communicating. Used a lot of sign language-pointing at things, etc. I do advise renting a flat. I would not come back and rent this one though. Why? Because the guy we rented from was not in Cairo while we were there. So when there was an issue, we had to figure it out on our own. I felt like he basically took our money and left us to flounder, so not a good host. Plus, I discovered it was too far from where we needed to be, which was the American Embassy area. Next time I shall find a place close to the Nile and the Embassy.

Close walking distance to grocery stores, pharmacy, electronics store. Not too far from "City Stars" mall. Plenty of taxi's to hail.

• Related to: Family Travel, Budget Travel, Historical Travel
  • Written May 24, 2009

Entering the flat

• vdoortje profile photo vdoortje
  • Reviews: 58

Garden City House Hotel: Good Budget Hotel in Cairo

We stayed there. Someone advised it to me. We took a look at the website and it looked OK. The time we went there was in order to attend the engagement party of a friend of us in Cairo. I asked him to book this hotel for us, he paid. He said: "Dora, are you sure?? It is less than 1 star??" I said: "Yes!!" I didn't know what to expect. But I was very pleased! The rooms are clean and spacious. Also the bathroom. There is an Airco and a balcony. Even rooms with view on the Nile. We asked for more quiet rooms. The traffic can be very noisy in Cairo. In short: I loved it! Good quality for money! Great to meet people. And I could receive my Egyptian friends over there. It seems to be hard to enter the 5 star hotels as an Egyptian.

Clean, spacious rooms. Great bathroom. Views on the Nile. Nice personel. Downtown Cairo. 5 minutes walk away from the Egyptian museum. Just next to the Semiramis hotel.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Museum Visits, Backpacking
  • Written April 22, 2004

View on the Dining room

• MalenaN profile photo MalenaN
  • Reviews: 4903

Dahab Hotel

It was not easy to find a single room with bathroom when I arrived in Cairo in the beginning of August. After trying a few places I went to Dahab Hotel, which had singles without bath (the ones with private bath were occupied).
Dahab Hotel is on the 7th floor and have rooms arranged around a courtyard area with tables and chairs. This is a good place to meet other travellers and exchange information. The room was small with a bed, a small table and a fan. The shared bathrooms consist of three small toilets, with the showers inside. The price for the room was 20 pounds.
There is a kitchen, which can be used if it is open. And in the morning you can (hopefully) buy breakfast. At 7.45 I asked for breakfast and they said in the reception I should wait 15 minutes for the kitchen man. After half an hour I asked again and they said I should wait another 10 minutes. If the kitchen man had not arrived by then he would not come at all – apparently he doesn’t come every day. At 8.40 he came. Breakfast with tea is 3.00 pounds and breakfast with coffee is 3.50 pounds. I had an extra coffee and was then going to pay 6 pounds. I paid with a 10-pound note. The kitchen man went to get change and came back with 3 pounds and a 5-pound note. He wanted to give me only 3 pounds back and I said it was not okay. He muttered, went away and came back with 4 pounds.
I only stayed at Dahab Hotel one night, and then I moved to Garden City House Hotel, which I liked much more. Guess Dahab had been fine if it hadn’t been my last week on my trip and that I was going to stay in Cairo for that whole week.

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written September 8, 2005

My small room at Dahab Hotel

• SabrinaSummerville profile photo SabrinaSummerville
  • Reviews: 720

Stella di Mare Golf Hotel: Golfing in the Lap of Luxury

We visited this hotel for a couple of hours and while there we asked to be shown the rooms, planning a future visit.
Even the standard rooms here are large, with two big windows overlooking the golf course.
They are decoated in the most relaxing shades of pale blue and golden cream, the beds have a pretty canopy overhead, and big fluffy cotton robes are spread at the foot of each bed. The bathrooms are the ultimate in luxury and are up to the minute in style.

We were also shown a suite, which was extremely large with spectacular views.

Downstairs, an infinity pool is set on a terrace off the main lobby, and again the views are of the immaculately trimmed greens of the golf course.

The lobby is cool and rich, with shining marble and wood panelled walls.

There is a well stocked golf pro shop and a souvenir shop.

Rates are quoted at half board and for a standard room work out at less than €100 for two people sharing per night! For five star ultimate luxury this is amazing.

The stunning views of the golf course from all rooms are hard to beat. This is a true golfer's paradise.

• Related to: Golf, Business Travel, Luxury Travel
  • Written May 11, 2007

Stella di Mare Golf Hotel

• SabrinaSummerville profile photo SabrinaSummerville
  • Reviews: 720

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Palmera Beach Resort: Watch the Mozzies at this Beachside Retreat

I stayed at Palmera for one night while on a business trip and, frankly, I wouldn't stay there again.

We were entertaining some clients and to be honest the place was such a disappointment that I would never invite clients there.

The public grounds are lovely and they are well laid out. However, they're not well tended and the vegetation has become overgrown, which causes a real problem with mosquitoes. We were literally eaten alive.

There are three large swimming pools plus a children's pool and these are indeed lovely. The main freeform pool has a swim up bar. A gorgeous wide beach lapped by crystal clear waters is accessed directly from the gardens.

Now for the down sides. The rooms are poorly furnished, tired, and badly need decorating. I hear that the owner is trying to sell off blocks of the hotel as apartments so this may explain the lack of care.

When we arrived we were thirsty and our Irish clients wanted gin - there was none; nor was there vodka when they agreed to opt for that. Indeed, the only spirit available was whiskey. We agreed to have wine. All was going well until we discovered that they were watering down the wine - and they denied it when challenged. In addition to all this, it took forever for the drinks to arrive.

All meals were buffet style and served in the ballrooom. Dinner was actually tasty, but breakfast was a disaster.

The grounds are so thick with vegetation that they're a haven for wild birds.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Business Travel, Spa and Resort
  • Written May 11, 2007

Stunning Beach

• MalenaN profile photo MalenaN
  • Reviews: 4903

Garden City House Hotel

After one night at Dahab Hotel I moved to Garden City House Hotel where I had been told the evening before I could get a room with bathroom. Arriving to the hotel they said they didn’t have any single rooms with bathroom at the moment because they had Internet bookings, but I could get one after two days. But I loved my room (number 40) and did not want to change. The room was on the 4th floor, on the corner, with a big balcony with Nile view. The balcony was actually shared by three rooms but no one was staying in the other rooms during the week I stayed at the hotel. Between the Nile and me was a big road and the traffic can be very noisy, but I just ignored it and enjoyed the view when I sat on the balcony. In the room there were two beds (very hard ones), tables, a cupboard, a fan and a sink. Not having a bathroom it was convenient with a sink for washing the hands, put the lenses in the eyes and brushing the teeth. The bathroom was near and only shared with one other room.
Breakfast is served on the 3rd floor and consists of bread, jam, butter, an egg and tea or coffee.

The single room with shared bathroom is 54 pounds something (I saw on a paper it was closer to 54 then 55). When I arrived the man in the reception said 54, but the man working when I checked out charged me 55 pounds.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written September 11, 2005

View from my balkony

• jaqs profile photo jaqs
  • Reviews: 15

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Holiday Apartments: Search online yourself for Holiday Apartments

I stayed in a Holiday Apartment for four weeks in Maadi in Cairo. It was by far the best choice for the following reason:

* It saved me so much money. (approximately $80 Australian dollars per week)
* I could shop for food myself and cook/prepare it myself
* It was homely and furnished traditionally (very comfortable)
* I lived more amongst the local people than if staying in a Hotel

• Related to: Family Travel, Work Abroad
  • Written December 22, 2007

• MariaK profile photo MariaK
  • Reviews: 68

Atlas Zamalek 4*: Good value for money

We stayed in Atlas Zamalek some years ago. I think it was ok for the money we gave.

Our room was huge, although it was a bit funny: when you opened the door you were finding yourself in front of a wall.

When you take a taxi, don't tell them "we are going to Zamalek" because the area is not Zamalek. Zamalek is a nearby island, very classy neibourhood - but this is not it. The area is Mohandesseen. Not that classy but ok.

Not very relevant but if you finally stay here, check on the opposite side of the road there is a great pastry shop. :)

Not bad.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Business Travel, Family Travel
  • Written July 28, 2006
Tip Photo

Atlas Zamalek (not in Zamalek area though)

• Sambawalk profile photo Sambawalk
  • Reviews: 1601

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Garden City House: Noisy hotel in town

When I first arrived Cairo, I stayed in Garden City House Hotel. The hotel is quity shabby as described by a VTer. I stayed in Room No. 38. It is acceptable for me, taking into account the room rate of 100 EGP (May 2006). The room faces the staff canteen of Semiramis Inter-continental Hotel and the side view is the Nile river (see pic). There is a small balcony which shares with four other rooms. The room rate is in line with other hotels of similar class in Cairo. The hotel is located next to busy street and it gets extremely noisy. See more pics from room and toilet view.

To get to this Garden City House by taxi, you should tell the taxi driver of Semiramis Inter-continental Hotel (which is located next to Garden City House). I encountered difficulties as the taxi driver took me to another hotel Garden City. So Semiramis helps you to get there. If you walk from the METRO Sadat (Midan Tahrir), it should take about 5 mins.

I found room rate is generally expensive in comparsion with those in other cities. I visited a few hotel in the Midan Talat Harb area (Liali Hotel, Lotus Hotel, and Berlin Hotel) and they charge similar rate for the similar factilities. They all look a bit dirty and unplesant. Berlin Hotel looks the worse.

After one night, I changed to Victoria Hotel, which is located near Ramses Train station. (see another accomodation page for this hotel).

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Written May 10, 2006

Hotel outside

• JohnniOmani profile photo JohnniOmani
  • Reviews: 552

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Happyton Hotel: Good Rooftop

This place is on a quiet street in Cairo if you can imagine that and it is near the Karim Cinema. It is a relaxed place and is good value for your money. It has a restaurant and openair rooftop bar. Rooms have AC

Rooftop and it has AC

• Written June 23, 2006

• RavensWing profile photo RavensWing
  • Reviews: 188

Atlas Zamalek Hotel: Atlas Zamalek Hotel

I stayed at this hotel 3 separate times during my first trip to Cairo and had 3 very different rooms.

The first room was a standard size room with a small television (I don't recall their being any English stations), 2 twin beds and a standard size bathroom with tub/shower. The carpet was worn down and there was a musty smell to the room.

The second room had a hallway with 2 sitting chairs for reading, a larger bathroom and a double size bed. It was at the front of the hotel so I could hear the constant honking of horns all night.

The third room also had a hallway with 2 sitting chairs, the larger bathroom and 2 large bedrooms each with their own television (again I don't recall their being an English station).

The staff was always friendly and ready to help you with anything you needed. Your breakfast is included with your stay.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Singles
  • Written October 3, 2013

Main Entrance

• TheLongTone profile photo TheLongTone
  • Reviews: 330

Venus Hotel: Well, it's near Ramses station

I would classify this as an 'acceptable under the circumstances' hotel. I stayed one night, and selected this hotel simply because of it's proximity to Ramses station: I arrived in Cairo late and had a train to Luxor at 0740 the following morning. The room was OK: small and with a window onto an airshaft, but clean enough, but the shared bathroom was well on the grubby side and there seemed to be no hot water. On the plus side, it's a friendly place, and I spent a bizarre couple of hours in the reception/lounge area watching the end of the first Harry Potter movie on the TV.

On the first corner on your right as you walk up Sharia Ramses- the entrance is actually round the corner. Not at all obvious from the outside: there is a sign in English way up on the top of the building it's situated in, but at street level there's just a sign in Arabic. I had just about spelled out F..u..n..d..u..q (hotel) when the lift operator put me out of my misery and asked me if I was looking for the hotel.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written September 1, 2007
Tip Photo

Home is where the pack is....

• miriamkhalifa profile photo miriamkhalifa
  • Reviews: 9

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Sphinx Guest House: Best wiew in the world!

Highly Recommended! This Guest house is the closest you get to the pyramids. You wake up in the night and look out of your window and BANG! there they are. Follow the direction of the sphinx's missing nose and you will easily find this guesthouse. The man owning it is warm and spiritual, and very interesting to talk to. He's into aromatherapy.

The rooms are not very high standard, but clean. The breakfast isn't great but it is food. Didn't matter to me. To be able to sit on the roof and be alone with the pyramids at night time... for me it was breathtaking. To sit and stare at the giza plateau with the moon hanging over it... That's what I call meditation folks!

The staff... they are there with you to help you with anything anytime, you feel you are with your family.

• Related to: Historical Travel, School Holidays, Architecture
  • Written October 12, 2006

• batman2000bc profile photo batman2000bc
  • Reviews: 27

David Roberts, R.A.
David...

David Roberts, R.A.
David Roberts was born is Scotland in 1796. After moving to London, he achieved a respectable reputation as an artist prior to 1838 when he traveled to Egypt and the Holy Land to paint the monuments, architecture and people. Upon his return to England, his works were published (in conjunction with the lithographer Louis Haghe) in a six volume set, in which all 248 lithographs were hand colored. The first three volumes depicted Egypt and Nubia; the second three, the Holy Land. The set, which was sold by subscription, was an immediate success. Roberts was admitted to the Royal Academy and he continued to travel and paint until his death in 1864.
After more than 150 years his paintings are still the most beloved and popular illustrations of Egypt and are highly sought after by collectors.

Instructions:
Select the wall you wish to view, by clicking on the wall number on the gallery map or by clicking on the appropriate yellow wall number below. View an individual picture by clicking on its name below.
When viewing a wall, to enlarge a small image, click on the desired picture. To return to a view of the wall, click on the enlarged picture.

The white titles represent pictures that are in the gallery. Gray titles indicate pictures yet to be added. New pictures are being added to the gallery as they become available, with changes made most recently indicated by or . So visit often to see our new additions.

• Opinion of Price: