Museum View Hotel

Tags

Budget Travel Museum Visits Backpacking
See Amenities
June.b's Profile Photo

Central, beside the museum, convenient.

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 12, 2011

I stayed at the Museum View Hotel from May 7 to 11, 2011.

I arrived early in the morning at about 830am, they sent a driver/taxi courtesy of the hotel because I booked a room with toilet/shower/balcony. Ahmad was very accommodating, he woke up to check me in. The hotel is on the second floor of an old building on the other side of the street where the National Museum is - that's where it got its name apparently.

No offense to the guys at the hotel, but I'm always honest and express my personal view.. The thing is, I've stayed in a charming place in Luxor with the same price right before this one, so I can't avoid using that as a benchmark. Then again, some may say, that's Luxor and this is Cairo --- hmmm...yeah maybe, but would that be a valid justification?

Museum View Hotel is actually not a hotel per se, maybe not a hostel because they don't have dorm rooms, so maybe in-between those two. It occupies the second floor of a building - other floors are offices like SAS, and there're maybe about 6 rooms in total, can't remember now. I was shown to my room which I guess is the best one in the house, right on the corner and an unobstructed view of the museum and the road and Tahrir Square, and unfortunately the building under construction infront of both the museum and the Nile Ritz Carlton.

Friendly staff? hmmm... there are 3 guys and the female cleaner and the one who also prepares the breakfast. I've read about this friendliness stuff but I think there's an air of patronizing on that sort of friendliness, something that I am not really comfortable with, and believe me I've experienced genuine friendliness and hospitality in a lot of hotels in Europe and Turkey, and I could easily get the hint if it's genuine or unauthentic. The air is not actually friendly, more of like, I dunno I can't find the right word -- but definitely something I'm not comfortable with.

The room is big and there are two double-door opening up on the big balcony with the streets below so I have to close it both at night to filter the car honkings at night. King-size bed but the outer sheet or the blanket itself looks dusty. And I bought 2 rolls of bathroom tissues the following day - one, for bathroom use of course, secondly, to wipe the old furnitures (bedside tables) which is full of dust.

The toilet/shower is actually a small cubicle constructed within one corner of the room with 1/4 of the height to the ceiling is open (open-top). Water flow is ok, there's warm shower but the water remains on the floor and won't flow down to the drain, something to do with the leveling of the floor.

On my last day, the door knob got off when I was trying to pull/close/lock the door. But, no one entered the room anyway - good: your stuff are safe and so are you; bad: since no one entered the room the whole 4 days, means, no one cleaned or made-up the room in my entire stay, so I have to take out the rubbish bin and hand it over to one of the guys (Amir, one of the partner/owner) I think on my 3rd day.

WIFI is not working on my smartphone but there's an old but functional computer on the small common area and everyone could use it, especially with photo transfer it's useful -- I guess there are only 2 rooms occupied and there were some of those days when I felt I was the only one in the place. In fact, I only found out about the common area and the complimentary breakfast from this nice lady I found one day tapping her laptop keyboard sitting on the reception area.

Breakfast is not something you'll be looking forward to every morning.

Having said all the above, I slept ok, since most of the time I'm out and come back tired to care.

I paid EGP120/night for the single room, and I think it's supposed to be EGP140. I booked the whole day memphis-sakkara-giza private driver with them, costs EGP180.

I asked for those free maps mentioned on their website, there ain't one, oh, unless they were pertaining to the poster map pinned on the wall at the reception.

Location is great, the nearest Metro station few strides away is Sadat. Taxis are plenty along the street just outside of the hotel.

All-in-all it's an ok place if you're really on a tight budget and wants to be in a good location. But the next time I'm in Cairo, I will definitely spend more on a proper hotel.

Unique Quality: It's budget.

Directions: near Tahrir Square and beside the Egyptian Museum.

Nearby Museum View Hotel

View Professional Photos

Amenities at Museum View Hotel

• Free High Speed Internet

Cairo Travel Forum

Need advice about Cairo, Egypt? Visit the Travel Forum for Cairo and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Cairo hotel reviews