Museum View Hotel

2, Shampion Street, Cairo, 1145, Egypt

Museum View Hotel
Hostelworld.com eDreams Booking.com

• June.b's Profile Photo

Central, beside the museum, convenient.

I stayed at the Museum View Hotel from May 7 to 11, 2011.

I arrived early in the morning at about 830am, they sent a driver/taxi courtesy of the hotel because I booked a room with toilet/shower/balcony. Ahmad was very accommodating, he woke up to check me in. The hotel is on the second floor of an old building on the other side of the street where the National Museum is - that's where it got its name apparently.

No offense to the guys at the hotel, but I'm always honest and express my personal view.. The thing is, I've stayed in a charming place in Luxor with the same price right before this one, so I can't avoid using that as a benchmark. Then again, some may say, that's Luxor and this is Cairo --- hmmm...yeah maybe, but would that be a valid justification?

Museum View Hotel is actually not a hotel per se, maybe not a hostel because they don't have dorm rooms, so maybe in-between those two. It occupies the second floor of a building - other floors are offices like SAS, and there're maybe about 6 rooms in total, can't remember now. I was shown to my room which I guess is the best one in the house, right on the corner and an unobstructed view of the museum and the road and Tahrir Square, and unfortunately the building under construction infront of both the museum and the Nile Ritz Carlton.

Friendly staff? hmmm... there are 3 guys and the female cleaner and the one who also prepares the breakfast. I've read about this friendliness stuff but I think there's an air of patronizing on that sort of friendliness, something that I am not really comfortable with, and believe me I've experienced genuine friendliness and hospitality in a lot of hotels in Europe and Turkey, and I could easily get the hint if it's genuine or unauthentic. The air is not actually friendly, more of like, I dunno I can't find the right word -- but definitely something I'm not comfortable with.

The room is big and there are two double-door opening up on the big balcony with the streets below so I have to close it both at night to filter the car honkings at night. King-size bed but the outer sheet or the blanket itself looks dusty. And I bought 2 rolls of bathroom tissues the following day - one, for bathroom use of course, secondly, to wipe the old furnitures (bedside tables) which is full of dust.

The toilet/shower is actually a small cubicle constructed within one corner of the room with 1/4 of the height to the ceiling is open (open-top). Water flow is ok, there's warm shower but the water remains on the floor and won't flow down to the drain, something to do with the leveling of the floor.

On my last day, the door knob got off when I was trying to pull/close/lock the door. But, no one entered the room anyway - good: your stuff are safe and so are you; bad: since no one entered the room the whole 4 days, means, no one cleaned or made-up the room in my entire stay, so I have to take out the rubbish bin and hand it over to one of the guys (Amir, one of the partner/owner) I think on my 3rd day.

WIFI is not working on my smartphone but there's an old but functional computer on the small common area and everyone could use it, especially with photo transfer it's useful -- I guess there are only 2 rooms occupied and there were some of those days when I felt I was the only one in the place. In fact, I only found out about the common area and the complimentary breakfast from this nice lady I found one day tapping her laptop keyboard sitting on the reception area.

Breakfast is not something you'll be looking forward to every morning.

Having said all the above, I slept ok, since most of the time I'm out and come back tired to care.

I paid EGP120/night for the single room, and I think it's supposed to be EGP140. I booked the whole day memphis-sakkara-giza private driver with them, costs EGP180.

I asked for those free maps mentioned on their website, there ain't one, oh, unless they were pertaining to the poster map pinned on the wall at the reception.

Location is great, the nearest Metro station few strides away is Sadat. Taxis are plenty along the street just outside of the hotel.

All-in-all it's an ok place if you're really on a tight budget and wants to be in a good location. But the next time I'm in Cairo, I will definitely spend more on a proper hotel.

Unique Quality: It's budget.

Directions: near Tahrir Square and beside the Egyptian Museum.

More about Cairo

Brand new roads in the desertBrand new roads in the desert

The Egyptian Museum from the Rameses Hilton HotelThe Egyptian Museum from the Rameses Hilton Hotel

The Egyptian Pounds of different denominations.The Egyptian Pounds of different denominations.

Ahmed Ibn Tulun mosque - minbarAhmed Ibn Tulun mosque - minbar

last couple of questions before we go!

by joenix

Hello,
and thank you all so far for all the questions that have been brilliantly answered.
I'd like an idea of prices for the following:
1. 2 hour camel ride on the side of the pyramids complex. i paid 70 LE but that was in 2003! i've now been quoted 120 per person. is that normal or a bit steep?
2. the price of a felucca ride from maadi - again, for about 2 hours. we will definitely find them near the grand cafe?
3. taxi fare from khan el khalili to the airport, and from the airport to the pyramids

we're travelling on a budget, so every thing we can haggle for counts! and if we have a good idea of present prices, we are at an advantage.

thank you!
sarah

Re: last couple of questions before we go!

by Catw

Camel ride: I'm not too sure about this, but I'd say about 50EGP per hour. It's supposed to be slightly cheaper with a horse.

A felucca ride costs about 40/50 pounds per hour, plus a tip for the sailor.

Taxi fare from the Khan to the airport is 40/50EGP. Taxi from airport to the pyramids is 50-60EGP. Yellow and white taxis do have meters.

Re: last couple of questions before we go!

by glglak

look since ill be honest with you, you should pay like 20-30 pounds if ur Egyptian and wanna get on a camel at the pyramids, but since you are not! and due to large number of tourists that visit pyramids everyday and specially in the pyramids area you will get hustled in a 100 pound no matter what you say to the guys working there, they wont accept under any condition to take less than that cauz you are foreigner and police has no authority over these people, they can say whatever prices they want to whoever they want, but they wont ask for more than a 100 le for an hour of horse riding, a felucca ride from maadi would cost you 60-70 le plus 10 le tips for the sailor of the felucca and it is recommended to get with an Egyptian friend, about taxi fares, I totally recommend to get only in the white taxi as it got meter and you couldn't get hustled that way unless if he took long directions to the place you wanna go, its more expensive than the normal taxi, but the normal taxi prices is negotiable in a very not making sense way, he could say 50 or a 100 le ! and start negotiating from the price he says, about presents it basically depends on what u wanna get, but don't get anything from khan al khalili you could get whatever there from other places at lower prices !

Travel Tips for Cairo

Travel Agencies

by Sambawalk

There are many travel agencies around in the downtown area. As the pic shows, you can take few days of apckages: a 5 star cruise in upper Nile for $209, or fulecca trips for $99. They also rent car + driver for EUR30 per day. Just look around to find something which suits you.

Islamic Cairo

by DanielF

Cairo is the main cultural center of the Arab world, with important Mosques, Universities and also an active film and music industry. Visiting beautiful mosques like Salah ad Din, Ibn Tulun, or Al Azhar; experiencing the Khan Al Khalilii sook, or even venturing into the City of Deads are among the most interesting activities in the Egyptian metropolis.

The Mosque of Mohammed Ali, in...

by catarata

The Mosque of Mohammed Ali, in the southern enclosure of the Citadel (Al-Qalaa), this mosque took 18 years to build (1830-48) and then the domes had to be demolished and rebuilt later. It´s made mostly in alabaster and the inside is really a beautiful amalgame of green and gold colors!. Inside is the tomb of Mohammed Ali!. After a long time walking sitting inside is quite a pleasure, time does not exist!
Mohammed Ali was said to have a mania for all things new and foreig. In his reign, a growing number of foreigners became more fascinating by Egypt and all things 'Oriental'. In 1820s, 30s, 40s a stream of adventurers and intrepid early travellers visited Cairo, including Mark Twain, Gustave Flauvert, Richard Burton...

KHAN EL KHALILI...

by SirRichard

KHAN EL KHALILI MARKET

Location: off El Azhar St.
The most famous of oriental bazaars, this is the place where you will find everything you could ever dream (except what you were really looking for!!). The merchents can be aggressive (always bargain down by 50%!), the crowds thick (pickpockets are rampant here), but still a must-see fo every tourist. The Oberoi Mena House has a small restaurant located near the entrance and is a great haven to escape the chaos. Hardcore shoppers should check out Ola Seif's 'Khan Al Khalili Mapped Guide'. Fans may be shocked to discover that a shopping mall complete with escalators (the first of its kind) is being build in the Khan El Khalili.

Ramadam!!!

by Rachelynn

I was abit apprehensive when my other half told me that we would travelling to Egypt during the Ramadam period. I was thinking...hmmm would the egyptians be very tired and would egypt be very quiet during daylight???

Encouraged by the kind advise from the VT egypt forum, we went to Egypt with big anticipation and boy was i bowled over!!!

YOU MUST, You must visit Egypt during Ramadam!! Kekeke....yes, Egyptians who are are of Islamic religion do not eat, drink and smoke from sunrise til sunset, but they are still jovial and friendly. From Luxor to Aswan to Cairo, i'm very very glad to bump into Egyptians who joked with us and especially so when it's near breaking fast time, they were very happy and we could all feel the festive mood. This country is so vibrant with activities and life during Ramadam.

We were at Cairo during the celebration after Ramadam and it was an eye-opener. The streets were so bursting with merry mood and laughter. I love it.....

I would visit Egypt again, during the Ramadam period. And you should too.

Comments