11 Modareat Al Tahrir St., Garden City, Cairo, 02, Egypt

Satisfaction Terrible

More about New Garden Palace Hotel

walking distance to downtown

by Anita_Porec about New Garden Palace

Hotel was about a 35 min drive from the airport, 10 minute walk to downtown , 2 minute walk to the Nile.
Close to everything.
Clean.
Nice looking.

$20.00 USD per night . Roof top bar. Very nice:)

socketsocket

Streets of CairoStreets of Cairo

The Mosque of Muhammad Ali, Cairo CitadelThe Mosque of Muhammad Ali, Cairo Citadel

Grain mill - Turkish Merchant's houseGrain mill - Turkish Merchant's house

Good reputable Guides in Cairo

by StTropez

I'm a solo traveler wishing to find a good English-speaking guide who I can hire for 2 days, to cover both Cairo and Giza.

There are so many postings around the web but I don't know which ones are good.

Can someone recommend me some reputable tour operators, or agency that will have the service I need? Or if you have better advice on finding guides?

Thanks!

by LibyaTravel

At the muesums there are guides ready to be hired, also at Giza same thing there they are ready to be hired. Hotel managers can also find you a guide. have fun all the best.

by al2401

There are guides at every site waiting to take care of you. However I would deal through your hotel with a reputable tour company. While most of the guides at the sites are fine there are also a lot of 'faux' guides who take your money and give you questionable information.

by uglyscot

'faux guides;. My son got one of them, though I'd said I'd do the job for him. Anyway, every pharaoh statue we saw, he'd stop and say - the false beard, the uraeus, the crook .the flail- signs of kingship. We found it hilarious. But such a waste of money. I used an old Blue Guide first timeI went and that told me more than enough, then I was given the Briliant illustrated Guide to the Cairo Museum. Excellent as a souvenir. I've used it many times going to the museum, and browses it for the sheer joy of looking at the photographs.

Travel Tips for Cairo

Go round the back.

by phoaquinjoenix

We went the back way. This is a trick that saves the entrance fee to the pyramids. You don't get the traditional view with the sphinx up close, but you do get the Lawrence of Arabia atmosphere after you've squeezed through the fence and gone past the rubbish dump. At a number of points it's just you, the desert, and a few pointy, triangle thingies. Just act like you don't see the guide passing a few pounds to the camel-mounted-police-force to keep them happy - it's included in the price.
You will also be offered a drink from a figure in the desert with his donkey. Before you say yes the bottle will be opened and the drink given. Best to tell the guide before you get there that you're diabetic, and you'll save yourself a pound. My daughter got to ride the donkey for free, though.
It's a shaky first ten minutes on a camel, but once you let yourself jellify in the saddle you find yourself showing off all the one-handed stunts and acting like you go to work this way at home. I caught myself humming 'The Magnificent Seven' a number of times.
You come up to the pyramids on the left hand side, so the row of the three major ones are there in a slightly different lay-out to all the traditional pics. You can't get into the compound this way, but we two were the only tourists there at 4pm on a saturday. We loved it.
A guard will invite you for a visit into the mini caves beside Cheops. Some of them have pits going down for ever that you have to jump over. You can still smell the incense in the sand - although I have a feeling the locals add their own, modern versions to keep the history alive. The guide was a bit greedy - but when I stuck to my offer of 10LE the marriage proposals stopped. So that was a 20 well saved.
When we first headed the wrong way from the stables and tiptoed through the rubbish dump I thought I'd done something stupid. But it turned out I hadn't. We really did fall on my feet. The first view of the pyramids rising about the houses in Giza is a sight you'll remember forever. OK, the first setting isn't the most beautiful, but I kind of liked the old and the new. A kind of Demi-Ashton thing.

Embassy of Israel

by vesna04

Egypt is the only Arab country that has the diplomatic relationship with Israel.
They offered to Israel very nice mansion in Cairo for the Embassy building. It was refused.
And guess what, Israeli choosed two upper floors of the residential Skyscraper (not on the very top, though) so if someone choose to attack it, it can’t be done without killing their own people. Clever enough, isn’t it?

Islamic Cairo

by call_me_rhia

Islamic Cairo is what "foreigners" call this ancient part of Cairo - but soince it's not more Islamic than other parts, I guess locals call it differently.

Islamic Cairo is a huge area around Khan El Khalili - most of it dates back to medieval times, and it's part of the UNESCO world heritage list. There are over 800 listed monuments: mosques, madrasas, hammans. I liked getting lost in the maze of little lanes - admiring the imposing architecture. Especialyl there are three mosques I found stunning: al zahir, al azhar and al hussein. All different in style - all incredible beautiful.

Appropriate dress in Orthodox churches

by Kuznetsov_Sergey

Don’t forget that appropriate dress covering the body including shoulders and legs is required for entering both Coptic Orthodox and Islamic churches.

I’m always surprised when I see women without scarves dressed in trousers or jeans while visiting Orthodox churches. Thank men who take their hats off when enter the church. I advise to think over in what you are dressed when intend to go into the churches.

Comments