49 Nubar, Bab el Louk, Cairo, Egypt

Booking.com eDreams

• aqazi's Profile Photo

Perfect Location

It was ranked number 2 by travelocity when I booked but I notice today that it has leaped into first place. In this case it would be wise to book early. This guesthouse is predominantly francophone which means mosts guests are french with most of the remainder being european. The location is great, very close to the museum and the nile. The staff are super freindly and a welcome change to the indifferent service that you find in many hotels in Egypt. Breakfast is served on the terrace and its more than enough. Rooms are on the basic side but they are functional and spotlessly clean.

The rate is resonable and is around the same as a regular 3 star hotel. Travellers looking for a youth hostel type guest house will find it expensive so it kind of suited to a middle aged group who values location, service and quality above price and nightlife. All in all its difficult to find faults and I would recomend the Osiris to any independent traveller.

Unique Quality: Francophone, great location.

• Tijavi's Profile Photo

Probably Cairo's best budget option

I discovered Hotel Osiris through Tripadvisor - it was listed as the best hotel among 81 listings for Cairo (across all categories). I'm usually cautious about so-called 'independent' customer reviews, but for this one, I thought I'd give it a try. It's not easy to search for the hotel's website (and I never found it prior to my trip), but luckily, reservations could be made through travellerspoint.

This was probably one of the best decisions I've made for this trip. Not only is the hotel centrally-located (about a 10-minute walk from Midan Tahrir, close to American University in Cairo (AUC)), but the rooms were clean, although a bit smallish (hey, this is a budget accommodation). I got a single room with T&B and paid US$ 25/night, inclusive of standard breakfast of toast, jam, coffee and crepe (the French twist to an otherwise boring breakfast). The best part? I loved their crisp linens, comfortable bed, and yes, pristine towels - comparable to those of the Hiltons and Sheratons.

What's more, the couple (Nabil and his French wife Josiane) who owns and runs the hotel go out of their way to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible. They could also arrange transportation service for you if you want to see the sights within and around Cairo - at very reasonable cost. I asked them to arrange a taxi for me to go to Saqqara, Dashur and Giza, and I paid EGP 120 (~USD 21) for the entire day's trip.

Unique Quality: While a budget hotel, the crisp linens, comfortable bed and pristine towels are 5-star. Level of service is also outstanding. Highly recommended.

Directions: From Mohamad Mahmoud St (where AUC is located), turn right at Nobar St. The hotel is on the 12th floor of the same building as City Mall (a department store) at the corner of Nobar and Mohamad Mahmoud.

• 1W1V's Profile Photo

Nice ho(s)tel in central Cairo

I stay in Osiris before moving to Sheraton for seminar. The place is not bad at all but the room are simple. I initially ask for a double with a balcony but they were all full.
    To be honest, I was a little disappointed with my triple room. The Double with baclony are much better, so beware. Also, there is no TV in the room and internet is available at the hotel.
    If I remember well, I paid 30 Euros per night including a decent breakfast on the nice terrace.
    The location is great and the owner very helpful in arranging some of your trips.
    Only for that, I would recommend Osiris. They can also organise your airport transfer for 10 Euros or smth approaching (dont really remember if it was 10 euros or 100 EGP).

Unique Quality: Location
    Breakfast on the terrace
    Staff

Directions: At the top floor of a builing opposit the German Institute. All very close to AUC.

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

oriental charm, french managment

Hotel Osiris is a great hotel located only a few minutes away from Tahrir Sqaure, in downtown Cairo. It's managed by a French woman named Josiane and her Egyptian husband Nabeel.

It's central and, because it's located on the 12th floor, it's fairly quiet. you won't hear the traffic too much. The staff is lovely - really helpful, and they all speak excellent English.

Unique Quality: Great spacious nice clean rooms with en-suite bathroom. They are simply decorated in Oriental style.

We paid 30 euros, and it included a huge breakfast, with orange juice, falafel, yoghurt, cereals, reak-butter-jam, a boiled egg and tea/coffee/hot chocolate.

Directions: in a taxi, ask for bab el louk, sharia nobar, city mall building. The hotel is on the 12th floor.

• well located and helpful

We booked the hotel off the internet a few days before arrival.We had arranged an airport pickup for a 2300 flight from luxor which was late.Even though we got in 2 hours late our driver was there to pick us up.The owner Nabil was very helpful in arranging a car and driver to the pyramids as well as a guide for the museum at a reasonable cost.The owner speaks french,English and arabic. i would highly recommend this place

Unique Quality: The hotel takes up the 12th floor of an office building.It has just been opened 4 months so everything is clean and fresh looking.The beds are comfortable and the pillows are soft. The breakfast is substantial with eggs,fresh squeezed oj and homemade muffins.A terrace overlooks the city An internet cafe is on site

Directions: 10 minute walk to Cairo Museum

More about Osiris Hotel

Great Budget Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Adventurer50

Having read all the positive reviews I chose to book Osiris hotel for me and my family for a 5 day stay in Cairo in July '07. Rooms are basic but very clean and staff are friendly and happy to assist. The rooftop has fantastic views of the city and the only thing missing is cafe so that guests can enjoy a drink or two. Overall a very nice budget hotel which is in a great location (close to Egyptian museum and River Nile) I would stay here again in the future and would definately recommend the hotel to others.

Best kept secret in Cairo

by TripAdvisor Member cybaw

Not too fancy but very clean , comfortable and very welcoming, the hotel Osiris was a pleasant surprise,.with its nice tasteful decor,peaceful atmosphere,and stunning views of central Cairo.
The hosts Nabil and Josiane made us feel at home. Our room was basic, but very clean , comfortable, and quiet, with a nice view of the Citadel. The location of the hotel is very central, with easy access to all the sights.They can arrange for airport transportation, and sightseeing tours ,on request.
We had the opportunity to have dinner at the hotel , our last night there, and this was one of the best dinners we had in Cairo , on the veranda of the hotel, enjoying the Egyptian dishes cooked by Nabil, with a nice bottle of wine.
The staff was very hard working, pleasant and did an excellent job!!
There was internet access available, in a quiet atmosphere, and at a very reasonable price.
If you are planning a visit to Cairo, and want a clean attractive hotel, away from the large chains, then The Hotel OSIRIS is the place for you!

Decent and honest place

by TripAdvisor Member ruvisoli

We booked this place relying completely on Trip Advisor's reviews, and it was no mistake.

Elevators are a bit shaky but decent. Hotel itself is clean, with
helpful and honest(!) staff. The breakfast was nice, mostly of diary products.

Rooms are small, but clean + A/C.

Most importantly, for acceptable price, Nabil organized our tours for all of our stay (Giza, museums, going into desert etc). The service was excellent (good drivers, good vehicles) which is critically important in scummy Cairo (especially if going into desert!).

The thing my husband didn't like was internet. They didn't let him plug his laptop or at least install skype on their computers. Nabil promised to install wi-fi, so if this makes a difference to you - check with him before booking.

Wonderful atmoshere, service and great Value Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member LisaCentralTilba

This hotel is a jewel of serenity and coolness amidst a very busy and hot Cairo. It is really good value at $20 per person a night with a lovely breaky............ and freely offered........ incredible travel service options. Nabil, the owner and his wife Josiane are only too happy to arrange and suggest wonderful things to do with your time in Egypt......... only if you want that is...... no hard sells, that's for sure!!!!!
We only had 10 days and they facilitated the most wonderful time for us......... every detail taken care of........ and very good value indeed!
We would highly recommend a feluca sail boat trip down the Nile..... 2 nights with Ali, Nabil's contact in Aswan....... absolute magic!!!
The rooms were spotless and spacious and the overall atmoshere of the hotel very elegant with a warm and welcoming feel.Nabil was up to welcome us with a fresh mango juice...... well after midnight!!!! This hotel provides a 24hr reception service. The airport pick up and drop off service was also well worth it too!!!!!
We would happily stay there again and highly recommend it to anyone.

PS Make sure if you want to go INSIDE the great pyramid in Giza..... to tell Nabil at the hotel, and he will make sure your guide will help arrange this!!!

Osiris in Cairo- Fit our Needs

by TripAdvisor Member Aussiedave33

Having used Trip Advisor in the past for numerous travel decisions we thought it would be best to give back a little. This is my first review. I will write regarding the Hotel Osiris in Cairo and do a second post for the Sofitel Karnak in the Luxor forum. It's a bit lengthy...so get comfortable. My girlfriend and I stayed at the Hotel Osiris for 3 nights in October. This was actually our second choice based on the Trip Advisor rankings we found here. The Longchamps was actually first choice but was fully booked. Part of the choice was to try to experience Cairo (2nd time) less from a tour bus and more from street level. The location for the hotel worked extremely well for the comfort level we were trying to achieve as we were able to wander the streets easily and make our way to the Cairo Museum with ease in about 15 mins by foot. We were overall very pleased with the accommodations we found here. We chose a triple room as we wanted a private bath and this was unavailable in a double configuration. The room albeit small was clean and the beds comfortable. The air conditioning worked very well. We actually turned it off at night and ran it while we were out for the day. The bathroom was also very clean and was a good size given the room size. The hotel is located on the top floor of an apartment/commercial building which is one of its strong points. No touts, no hassle until you get to the actual touristic shopping area. You have access to the patio area where meals are served and looks out over the city scape of Cairo. Via stairs you access the roof top. They have a Bedouin Tent set up and seating all around. There are views to 3 out of 4 sides of the city from here. As we were shown around we were offered to sleep up in the tent any night we wished. They would make up the beds for us. They are currently doing a little construction on the roof top. We were told that is will be a small kitchen area as well as a bread oven similar to what was used long ago. The construction in no way interfered with our stay. They do have Internet available and at a very reasonable price, 4 LE for a ½ hour and 8 LE for the full hour. The breakfast offered was modest but sufficient to get the day started. We did have one dinner here and is was very nice and tasty. Definitely home cooked as we could see the kitchen on our way to our room. The mint tea was excellent, very sweet, a must have after dinner. We arranged a driver for the pick up from Cairo airport as this was the first time we actually flew into Cairo. (first was a bus trip from a cruise ship). At 11 Euro we knew the price was a bit steep but we wanted to be confident we would reach the hotel. Cairo driving is a whole other post! We did also arrange for a driver for our day at the Pyramids through the owner Nabil upon arrival. We did not really want a guide we just wanted time to wander. For 200 LE we had the driver for the day and a lunch for 2. Lunch was buffet and also very good. It was an outdoor patio and we practically had the place to ourselves. The driver, as expected, offer to take us to a Papyrus shop and then to a perfume shop. He said it was up to us and was not pushy in the least. We declined the Papyrus but accepted the perfume as this was going to be my Mom's gift anyway. As our trip encompassed some of Ramadan we expected things to be more challenging then they actually were. Timing is the key. Out early, back for a mid-day nap (3-5pm) and then back out. We were offered numerous times to join groups that were just sitting down to break fast. I was astounded at how many times we were “Welcomed” to Egypt without it being a tout or sales ploy. The majority of the Egyptian people are extremely friendly and sociable. Make sure you stop into one of the bakeries and bring back a box of cookies and sweets for Nabil. An extremely inexpensive way to say thanks to your hosts. So overall we found the Osiris to be just what we were looking for and what we expected based on the positive reviews we have read here. Please remember though is not a 'traditional' hotel experience. Think of it more like a Cairo B&B. I have added photos. Please excuse some of the blurry ones (low light:). Will we return again?? I think I would also like to experience Longchamps based on what I have read here. But I would definitely return to Osiris without hesitation.

Comments